GreaseSpot Cafe

How Do You Handle People Who "Witness" To You?

Oakspear

Especially door-to-door?

Depends on my mood I guess. A few months ago I let a couple of Mormon missionaries into my apartment. Nice guys, not very convincing though. I just wanted to hear what they had to say. A week later I was in need of a jump start and they happened along at just the right time! A few days ago a guy wanted to do "an informal survey about religion" while I was at the University fountains. I politely answered his questions, but didn't encourage him.

I get a little irritated at people who think that it's fun to treat door-to-door witnesssers like crap.

A story about door-to-door that keeps popping up so much that I swear it's an urban legend: The person telling the story knows someone who came to the door in a towel and invited some JW's in, but cautioned them that it was a "nudist home", or guys actually answering the door nude. No one ever claims to be the one who actually did it, just knows someone icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

These days I just say that I respect their right to believe what they want and to repect my right not to want to discuss it.

There are many groups that claim to be the truest but they cannot offer anything new which I have not heard before.

If you start engaging them in doctrinal discussion you can never get rid of them fast! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

These days it tends just to be the JWs as the LDS missionaries are supposed to leave you alone when you have had your name removed from church records.

I'll be nice as long as they don't come at a bad time (such as at 7am on a Saturday), and that if I tell them I am not interested, they don't tell me I'm going to hell or keep trying to sell me on their religion.

If a witnesser were to be rude to me, I'd have to tell them to STFU (crossposted from another thread because it seemed appropriate.)

Well I could tell you stories of my own experiences going "door to door" as a JW.

Once I knocked on the door and the people were sat right there watching TV and totally ignored us. They just stared at us thru the longe windows and didnt get up.

That was interesting.

Another time a man came to the door nude. This is actually something that only ever happened once.Youd think it would occur frequently, but not so.

We once got invited in by an elderly man who then locked the doors and proceeded to attack the pioneer that I was with. I jumped out thru a bedroom window.

The very best of the best though was when we knocked on the door and a man came and answered it with Beethoven music blarring in the background he proceeded to scream at us that it was Sunday morning and he was "worshipping",

he told us to "Go away! and allow me to worship my God"

I don't know if this actually fits in this thread, but it is a memory of being witnessed to. I was a TC, just beginning a fellowship in which I had planned to teach on the redemptive names of God. I started by playing Kenneth Copeland's recording of "He Is Jehovah." (Back then, I could get away with that.) Anyway, who should come to the door at that moment but two JW's! We had a brief conversation about the name Jehovah; they handed me a Watchtower and went on their way. I'm sure that was God's sense of humor. icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

George

We don't get alot around where I live now. But where I use to live the Mormons and Jehovah's witnesses would come all the time. I was just learning the word at that time and would just ask them questions about their faith/believing and they were happy to tell. Then I would ask JW -- so isn't that kind of scary that only 140,000 are going to heaven? I mean, isn't that kind of mean of God? or the Mormons I asked why they weren't allowed to drive cars and were called Elders -- when technically that's not what the words meant. I was never rude and had open discussion with them and took their material. I'd read it over briefly, just so I could have more "questions" to ask the next ones. icon_cool.gif

I am always kind to those who "come knocking'. icon_smile.gif:)--> I usually get JW folks, but there is an occasional Mormon, and once two Baptist ladies.

I invited the Mormons in for coffee (coffee is a no-no for them), they refused, so we sat on the front porch and had a good discussion, until I asked them about their "special underwear" that somehow protects them.

icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> They left in a huff, and never answered my question about their claim that Jesus and satan are brothers. icon_frown.gif:(-->

The JW's were also kind folk, and likewise, we sat on the front porch and talked amicably. I was polite to them also, but they got mad at me, when I suggested that perhaps they did believe Jesus to be God, since they promote His (Jesus') pre-existance, and thusly see Him as "more than human". I was going to ask them about their Communion service (where NO-ONE actually takes a wafer, or sip of wine -- but just passes the plate and cup on to the next person), but they were in "departure mode" by that point. icon_frown.gif:(-->

The two Baptist ladies stuck around long enough to give their "spiel", and were uncomfortable on the front porch, since their "spiel" (written out, and to be followed line by line) involved reading a verse, and asking me what I thought. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I gave them an earful. They got the most uncomfortable when they asked if I knew if I would go to Heavan when I die. I told them that I was not going to Heavan, but to Paradise where all believers will end up. And I told them that the proof that I was going there was because I speak in tongues, proving that I am God's child.

They couldn't leave fast enough. But to their credit, they stuck it out long enough to finish their list, and then hand me a tract, and let me know when their services were. icon_smile.gif:)-->

I get Mormons, JWs and Baptists from a local church several times a year.

In my Way Daze I did lots of door to door, and I know some of those folks sincerely want to help someone, and are nervous, too, or believe they must do their duty, etc.

But I don't want to discuss their beliefs, I don't care to share my own with strangers, and I really don't want to be too nice and get a return visit! So I say something as soon as they finish their opening line--I'm not interested and I'm in the middle of something. Have a nice day.-- Shut door.

I usually ask them when the last time was that I came up on their porch and tried to convert them to agnosticism.

That usually gets a rather quizical look. And then I point out how utterly rude and condescending the act of "door-to-door" witnessing is. And which point I conclude the conversation and go back to what I was doing.

Funny, I don't get a lot of repeat customers.

At least the Hari Krishnas are no longer frolicking through the airports banging their tamborines... icon_cool.gif

Actually, I try to be polite and even kind to all those who venture to my door...I always figure that they were pressured into doing it, in order to please some "leader" or gain favor in their organization...but I never let em in icon_wink.gif;)-->

Quote: "there is a tradition practiced by the more devout Mormon married women of wearing an undergarment, sort of like white longjohns,"

Thats the temple garment I think. My understanding is that everyone whose been inducted into the temple has to wear them in perpetuum. Ive seen them on the man who baptized me. Theyre white and like knee length long Johns. far as i recall they have symbols on them . and they have to be worn 24/7 even when having sex...perhaps especially while having sex. One assumes they are a specially designed garment and that the symbols thereon protect the wearer from being overcome by evil influence. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

I'm surprised that the missionaries should have gone off in a huff because you talked about underwear.

All adult Mormons wear special underwear once they have been through the Temple endowment.

The designs have changed over time from one piece outfits with flaps for the necessary to two piece being more popular.

They are supposed to be worn 24/7 but generally allowance is made for bathing or showering, swimming, sports and many do not wear them for sex. They do carry symbols which are related to Masonry and these are supposed to be cut off and burnt when the garments wear out, the rest of the material can then be disposed of or used for any purpose like dusters etc.

But never invite LDS missionaries to go swimming - they are not allowed to on ther missions because its is believed that water is under the domination of Satan who would like nothing better than to cause them to drown.

Off the mission field, swimming is allowed and there are often Stake swimming nights.

The J. W. come to my home almost weekly and the Moxmons come quite a bit too. In fact, they were here for about an hour last night. We have had them here for dinner. The moxmons are usually very young. They look like little children and so we thought they could use a home cooked meal. We are polite and we ask many questions. I asked them last night if they believe that we could become gods and they said, "Yes." They strive to obtain godhood.

No matter how we may disagree, they are always polite. Not true for the J.W.

Like some of you, I remember with a shudder the times we were doing the door to door thing. It was a relief when someone was kind, even when they were not interested. I try to remember that, offer them a glass of ice water or coffee, but make it clear I am not interested in their beliefs. Usually they refuse the refreshment, but that's fine. I told the last group of JWs that IF there was a God (and I chose to believe there is), then He is bigger than any one denomination or group. There are many roads to the mountaintop, admittedly, some are more direct, but my road was a different one from theirs. It worked with the Mormons as well for some reason. Heck, those Mormons are just kids and who knows what wackos and meanies they encounter ?