GreaseSpot Cafe

Believe God.....to live on a 4-hour work day

skyrider

The message was clear. If you believe God to supply your abundance, you can learn to live on a 4-hour work day. If you were spiritual, you could work 20 hours a week and still live "abundantly." This message was taught to the wows and corps.

Vpw proclaimed this......and, of course wanted all "extra time" for witnessing. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Lcm claimed that.........the way corps should be able to get twice as much done in half the time as the unbeliever (and thus, a 4-hour work day). Yet, even today.......many GS posters know that lcm WORKS TWO JOBS! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

And, when lcm dictated for all corps to be full-time staff in 1995.......the STANDARD TWI WORK WEEK was 55 hours!

Yup....preach one thing and do another.

Double talk and shuffle feet was the order of the day at twi.

And, they wonder why people leave???

icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

skyrider

They are too busy to leave. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

You know, Skyrider, in some ways I personally believe TWI bred a mental laziness in people when it really cames down to it. Made them close minded. So many opportunities for advancement silently passed them by in favor of "doing the work of the lord". After all we were not to be "entangled with the affairs of theis world." Hide your head in the sand and say it ain't so.

As a business owner I was reproved many times for devoting too much time to it. They also wanted me to give it up and go full time Corps. Bill G. even told me I would be more successful if I did. Like he is such an example. "No thank you" was my reply. My business is not failing like theirs. I seem to be getting new people (clients) every day. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Maybe that's why some full timers who left had (have) a difficult time of it. I am sure LCM is attending the true "University of Life" out there working his buns off trying to make ends meet like some of us have been doing for decades while being reproved for not having enough ministry involvement.

Actually, I have a different take on this subject.

I really CAN DO 8 hours work in four hours. I can knock out enough to amaze even the most disciplined managers/overseers. The downside of this for me has been that most managers, overseers etc, aren't quite so happy about that! The..."well, I am all done for the day" doesn't cut the mustard in today's work place. They manage to come up with 4 more hours of menial busy work, back up switchboard, or mindless Excel spreadsheets that need to be done---in order to help out someone else in the office.

For me, contract work has been the answer, lets me make money, be autonomous and keep me from mindless boredom of other people's spread sheets and filing.

Radar

Or better YET ... a trustees wife!!! I hear ya gets to be paid while watchin yer soaps, and when THAT gets dull....to bully people unmercifully ...free to indulge in the wholesom fun of humiliating peons to tears..........always to enjoy people bowing profusely in your presence in complete abject subservience... N ya NEVER have to cook , nor clean ...cause ya got servants that do it all for free.....Wow watta life..

quote:
Originally posted by Paradiseden:

This topic reminds me of the time I was a part of the Wow Vet Pilot Program..... two year committment in Knoxville, Tennessee for the 1982 World's Fair.

In getting people to volunteer for this two year commitment, they said you could have a lot more freedom including leaving to visit family...attend weddings..etc.

The main selling point for many of the people who were part of the group that went to Knoxville was the opportunity to work a full time job ( 8 hours a day). Soon after we arrived in Knoxville, there was a meeting of all the vets that made this two year commitment. This meeting strongly discouraged working a full time job and that change did not go over well.

This "adventure" was a disaster from the beginning. The original coordinator of the Wow Vets was transferred out approximately 8-9 months in. Then the Way brought in this Gestapo Way Corps gal (absolute tyrant) who, in my opinion and many others, was unkind, unloving and all around mean. If my memory is correct, she only lasted a couple of months. The next people who were brought in were M. VanXXXX... and G. and V. WoodXXXX.. were both kind and loving people and many good things happened in people's lives because of them during the last year.

Less than half of the people who signed up for the two years finished. The problem was the Way leadership presented the commitment one way and after you made the commitment, they changed the rules.

I could not wait for the two years to end. The only thing that made the whole experience bearable was working at the World's Fair for the six months it was open.

The main point I learned from this experience was......if you are going to lead people and tell them someting to get them to "join up" KEEP YOUR WORD.

Radar:

I know what you mean, it kind of depends on your job whether or not you can pull it off though.

For thirteen years, ending in 1999, I was a sales rep, and regional sales manager for a newspaper. My staff and I were given goals. My directors did not care if it took me seventy hours each week to achieve the goals, they had no sympathy whatsoever. On the other hand, if I could achieve the same thing in twenty hours, they had no problem with that either.

Generally I was given the territory-from-hell after a succession of bad reps, with the mandate to clean it up. After a few weeks of litle sleep and many meals eaten from behind the wheel of my car, I got it in order and could work a much shorter week. I believed in efficiency and delegating.

My current job is assistant manager for a largish grocery store. I am as skilled at delegation, and as efficient as ever; but no matter how quickly I get my projects done, I am expected to "put in my time" at the store. This makes sense, since there are always customers in the store that need attention, care and feeding.

Even though I can't leave early, getting all my tasks done early in the day or week, makes for less stress the rest of the time.