GreaseSpot Cafe

You Don't Need Expensive Counselors

Belle

The TWI Family Table website has a promo for the WAP class on it. In this advertisement they mention that you don't need expensive counselors or family counseling for your life, just this class.

I posted this on the website thread, but I think it should have it's own thread so as to not derail that one any further.

quote:
The emphasis on "you don't need expensive counselors" and "you don't need family counselling" if you take their class is extremely disturbing. Isn't that making medical claims that are unfounded and patently false?

How many people in TWI have/had chemical imbalances and other problems that they never sought help for because it was anathema in TWI to get help? Counselling is NOT expensive if you have health insurance, which most people not employed by TWI do have. It's also extremely helpful in addition to drug therapy.

I was having mini-panic attacks as much as 6 years ago in TWI and was told repeatedly that it was stress. All they did to help me was tell me to renew my mind and "believe God" bigger. My situation continued to decline but I couldn't tell anyone how I felt because it was a weakness and my fault. I also already knew what they would say, they'd been saying the same unhelpful things for years. By the time I got to the point where I would start crying at the slightest little thing I thought I was truly insane and possibly possessed.

Going to a psychiatrist and receiving a diagnosis of severe long term depressing, getting on anti-depressants and starting talk therapy with those unnecessary counselors has saved my life. I got out of TWI and divorced shortly after starting anti-depressants and started talk therapy right around that time, too. I can honestly say I feel much more normal and my family recognizes the huge change in my demeanor and outlook. I haven't felt this good in about 10 years and it's only getting better every day.

If TWI truly wanted to help people they wouldn't teach them that all they need are a few Bible verses and micro-mangaged lives to be healthy and have perfect harmony in the family. They would be more aware of changes in a person's attitude and state of mind to recognize when there's a need for help. They wouldn't stigmitize people who need psychiatric or psychological help and they would truly try to help people. I wonder how many people are still "in" who would be so much healthier and better off if they would seek professional help.

Abigail posted:

quote:
Belle,

I have a friend who's teenaged daughter was diagnosed as being bipolar. I am so glad this mom had the good sense to take her daughter to a doctor! When she finally left TWI it was because her twig coordinators basically told all of the other teenagers to stay away from her daughter.

Likewise, I wonder if I ever would have gotten my son diagnosed if I had stayed in TWI. I knew there was a problem and even being outside of TWI it took several years and a lot of persistence to get him diagnosed. During my TWI years though, I was told over and over again I just wasn't disciplining him enough. But I knew it wasn't just that, I could see in him how hard he tried to behave well and stay in control of himself, but he just kept losing the battle. Now, with a diagnosis and the proper medication, he is doing much much better.

To every man his own truth and his own God within.

I really think there could be grounds for lawsuits in this realm as well for people seriously affected by depression, ADD, learning disorders and other things TWI dismissed as not medical problems, but 'non renewed mind' problems. I just don't know how you would go about documenting the harm.

lawsuits would be tricky, Belle. TWI's "offical policy" is to seek medical attention and not to stop taking medication prescribed by a doctor without the doctor's medication.

Advise we were given by "leadership" would quite possibly be seen by the courts as being no different than advise given by a friend, especially if that leadership did not have clergy status. Additionally, you would have to prove there were damages as a result of their bad advice.

Nonetheless, I think this is a great topic for discussion. How many others were advised to not seek medical attention, were treated badly when they did, etc.?

I have a friend whose young daughter fell and broke the denz (sp) bone in her neck. She had to have a bone graft to repair it. My friend and her husband were discouraged from going through with the surgery and reproved for not believing god enough for their daughter to be healed.

They followed their doctors advise and their daughter is now a beautiful teenaged girl.

If that is correct, that the official stance is seek medical help, it would seem that the agents who advise otherwise would be criminally negligent, in at least some of the cases. Proving it, on the other hand, may be a little difficult.

Well, in the mental realm anyway, it's in writing. It's in the syllabus, on that website, some allusion to it on their website and I have STS tapes of craig and other leaders talking about it. *shrug* I'm not saying a lawsuit would fly, especially as taboo as the mental health field is for some people. It just seems that if it could be documented that someone suffered job loss or some other quantifiable harm because they should have sought professional mental help that they would have a good case. Medical too, but I was thinking specifically of mental health.

Abi, so glad your friends didn't listen to TWIts about not having the surgery! Those are the kinds of things I wonder about. I'm sure more of those things happened than we're aware of.

Belle, I agree, to my eyes it's marginal. Plus, it just sounds cheesey. It begs the question - what if they're CHEAP counsellors or therapists. Then is it okay?

It just has that Pokey from Fanoaky ring to it - "well, you don't need none o' yore uptown citified group-hug, warm n fuzzy couns-u-lerz...you just need to sit here down and take this here thing a mah jig and saaahn it right thar, on that there dotted line. Here, you can use mah crayon...and listen to this'n here class what'll get yer mind right real kwik.........say, is that yore sister, she shore is perdy......"

It's bad advice. Granted, there's good to be gotten from biblical instruction and fellowship. People can be helped, or at least I think so, especially if they're not being beaten over the head with teachings about ice ages and treatment that wouldn't do a dog justice.

But presenting WAP as a first choice alternative to professional help is really really marginal, IMO. It's implied, clearly, on the web site statements about it. "you won't need that stuff if you take this"........................next thing, after taking it, if someone still says they need it, or continues to have similar problems as before WAP the WAP-pers have to defend the class and the teaching....."the class did it's part, you're just not ACTING on what you learned! say, is that your sister, she sure is perdy!"

They should reword it. "We think this class can help people everywhere, in many areas of life. Say, is that your brother, he sure is perdy!"