GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that Tune

Raf

19 hours ago, WordWolf said:

"Greta's flunky, some boot-licking lackey, some wild-eyed Romeo winds op the mountain with Rio down below.  Drives too slowly past a burning impromptu altar, attended by no one of visible means."

"Rounding the corner we come to a halt.  Doors fly open as we prepare for assault. Out from the shadows step the dangerous boys. Hands hiding weapons, they treat them like toys. Debutante Gretta, the taxidermist's daughter. She knows what to say. She knows how to mingle, she knows the lingo."

Requesting a hint: Is it one of these three bands - Phish, Little Feat or Steely Dan?

6 minutes ago, Human without the bean said:

I was thinking Little Feat.  Waiting to hear.

Really!? Wow!

Well, whoever it is, I don't think I'll get the song. The three bands I'm guessing is the best I can do on this one.

I'm gonna try on some gloves while we're waiting...

3 hours ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Requesting a hint: Is it one of these three bands - Phish, Little Feat or Steely Dan?

As I couldn't name a Phish song to save my life, let alone recognize one, it's very unlikely I'll ever post one. (So, this isn't one.)

I am familiar with some Steely Dan, but this isn't any.

BTW, I quite like this song, and have since I first heard it on the radio.

Just a reminder- no looking up anything if you're guessing- if you do, you're disqualified and have to sit it out.  ("I have to look it up, the suspense is killing me!") 

"Greta's flunky, some boot-licking lackey, some wild-eyed Romeo winds up the mountain with Rio down below.  Drives too slowly past a burning impromptu altar, attended by no one of visible means."

"Rounding the corner we come to a halt.  Doors fly open as we prepare for assault. Out from the shadows step the dangerous boys. Hands hiding weapons, they treat them like toys. Debutante Gretta, the taxidermist's daughter. She knows what to say. She knows how to mingle, she knows the lingo."

"Gretta leads us through the stone carved archway, into the school of samba, the place of sacred rites.  We push through a gauntlet of limp-wristed handshakes, and empty cotillion air kisses.   Gretta smiles as we make our way to the bar.  The new crowd says I remind them of Frank- who died of excessive nymphets in Barcelona... in BarceLOna."

15 minutes ago, WordWolf said:

As I couldn't name a Phish song to save my life, let alone recognize one, it's very unlikely I'll ever post one. (So, this isn't one.)

I am familiar with some Steely Dan, but this isn't any.

BTW, I quite like this song, and have since I first heard it on the radio.

Just a reminder- no looking up anything if you're guessing- if you do, you're disqualified and have to sit it out.  ("I have to look it up, the suspense is killing me!") 

I don't know this one. I have no idea, but the lyrics sound to me like they could have been written by any of those three I mentioned. 

BTW, I fell in love with gloves during PFAL. The way they fit a hand. The way they don't fit. Everything about them. If I say I'm gonna try on gloves, it literally means nothing. A non sequitur. Like PFAL. I know the rules.

Edited by Nathan_Jr

"Greta's flunky, some boot-licking lackey, some wild-eyed Romeo winds up the mountain with Rio down below.  Drives too slowly past a burning impromptu altar, attended by no one of visible means."

"Gretta leads us through the stone carved archway, into the school of samba, the place of sacred rites.  We push through a gauntlet of limp-wristed handshakes, and empty cotillion air kisses.   Gretta smiles as we make our way to the bar.  The new crowd says I remind them of Frank- who died of excessive nymphets in Barcelona... in BarceLOna."

"Gretta Gretta I've got to slip away.  It just won't work between us.  Your daddy runs the house of pain.  You are the taxidermist's daughter."

On 10/5/2022 at 7:26 AM, WordWolf said:

"Gretta Gretta I've got to slip away.  It just won't work between us.  Your daddy runs the house of pain.  You are the taxidermist's daughter."

Ok, turning over the cards here. This was Little Feat's "Representing the Mambo", the title track of the album of the same name.  It got quite a bit of airplay at the time.

Gotta gotta be down
Because I want it all
It started out with a kiss
How did it end up like this
It was only a kiss, it was only a kiss

Cause I just can't look it's killing me
I'm taking control
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis
But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me

Coming out of my cage
And I've been doing just fine
Gotta gotta be down
Because I want it all
How did it end up like this

And, I just can't look it's killing me
I'm taking control
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis
But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes

I'm coming out of my cage
And I've been doing just fine
Gotta gotta be down
Because I want it all
How did it end up like this?
Now I'm falling asleep
And she's calling a cab
While he's having a smoke
And she's taking a drag
Now they're going to bed

And my stomach is sick

And it's all in my head

But she's touching his chest

Now, he takes off her dress

Now, let me go

I'll try this one. If it doesn't work, I'll go back to my usual rule of 1985 or earlier.

"My best friend took a week's vacation to forget her.
His girl took a week's worth of valium and slept.
And now he's guilt-stricken, sobbin'
With his head on the floor.
Thinks about her now and how he never really wept. He said"

18 hours ago, WordWolf said:

If it's by the Vines, the Hives, or the Killers, I probably have no chance to get it.

You forgot to mention ~The Gorillas~

11 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

It seems vaguely familiar.  Post-1985 songs with A LOT of play might ring a bell.

George

Ditto,  it's familiar.

"When I was young I knew everything.
And she, a punk who rarely ever took advice.
Now I'm guilt-stricken, sobbin' with my head on the floor.
Stopped a baby's breath and a shoe full of rice, no."

"When I was young I knew everything.
And she, a punk who rarely ever took advice.
Now I'm guilt-stricken, sobbin' with my head on the floor.
Stopped a baby's breath and a shoe full of rice, no."

"Can't be held responsible.
She was touchin' her face.
I won't be held responsible.
She fell in love in the first place."