GreaseSpot Cafe

9th Corps

notinKansasanymore

Ahh, well, I guess my lingo is good enough....The weather here has been in the teens and in the single digits, but the clear skies and sparkling snow on the crystal peaks has been totally breath taking and beautiful....Nice to see the ocean and the outer islands sparkling in the sunshine. Absolutely scintilating...

I just found out that a sweet cat, that we put up for adoption when we moved out of the old niKa pad, has finally been adopted to a good home. He was one of the yard cats, and couldn't get along with our existing male cat. Two of the other yard cats, who were way too wild to be indoors, went to a farm out in the country; they get to share a barn with lots of chickens. The fourth and last was crippled, and is now repaired, and is our little spoiled baby kitty indoors. Fellowshipper has met her.

:beer:

I'll buy a round for the house, in honor of Brother the Cat.

Meee-ow.

Yesterday, at the park, while the kids were running and playing and climbing trees, I sat talking with my ParkMomBuddies, and lay back on a pic-i-nick table. The clouds in the sky looked like an Impressionist painting, all swirly and indistinct; the blue sky was showing through the wisps. The trees were budding. BUDDING.

As I looked up, I saw a very large bird, with eagle-shaped wings, soaring very high up. I pointed it out to the other moms. Then we noticed that the head was white.

American Bald Eagle.

I knew that we had some at a lake near town, but never thought to see one soaring above the park where my kids play.

Edited by notinKansasanymore

Norman, Oklahoma. The home of sometimes winning basketball games by one point, and at the last minute (I just knocked on wood, so as not to jinx the boys); they've done that for the last four games in a row.

I have a buddy who has been taking his heart medication with him to the games.

Late this afternoon, the niKakids and I drove home from church with crosses drawn on our foreheads, in ashes. The fifth-graders ran the service. The grownups talked for about two minutes, everybody who wanted to got ashes, and then the whole sanctuary full of people stood around the edge of the room, holding hands, and sang "Jesus Loves Me." Then, we went home. Whole thing took about 20 minutes.

I've never been to an Ash Wednesday service, but I have a feeling that Methodists do it differently than some others. That's our current brand, and I like them.

Ok, for post 5,363 I'd like to observe that there have been several of my 10th Corps brethern who feel the need to camp in the wonderland of the 9th Ward.

Since the 10th Corp thread has shriveled to virtual non existence, I, too, may have to request the honor of intruding. Either that, or we need to pump it up (where is my jack?)

This is more like lunch time without the announcements: common bowl and all.

I have sour cream and peanut butter: can I come in?

Tried calling Excie: all I heard was "Glub, Glub".

Edited by topoftheworld

TOTW - this one's for you:

"I got a jack - but I'm not gonna help you"

Now back to reality.

Don't become too comfy here we probably hae to stir something up on the 10th corps thread. maybe we need a nasty or juicy rumor. I know - what we need are margaritas! or maybe apple flavored martinis.

About a week and a half ago, I got an e-mail to pray for my Aunt Imogene (my dear-departed Daddy's baby sister). She'd gone in because of having pneumonia, and they x-rayed her lungs. Turns out that she had a lemon-sized tumor on one of her lungs.

Now, this is the sweetest, most God-fearing, home-grown-tomatoes-rivalled-by-none-in-the-county, pecan-pie baking, church-attending, sweetest-hearted, never-smoked-a-day-in-her-life, doesn't drink, Baptist lady who ever graced West Texas. I've never heard her utter a coarse word, much less a curse word.

The family's first response was utter shock. Their second response was to send out lots and lots of e-mails: pray for Imogene. I got one of those. "Pray for Imogene," with all the details. Lots and lots of people got them.

Two days later, they bravely went back to the hospital to begin the therapies and the injections and the whatever-the-heck happens next.

Tumor was gone. They re-checked and re-re-checked. She was the talk of the hospital all day.

I'm buying another round for the house.

Here's to God. Thanks for healing Imogene.