GreaseSpot Cafe

9th Corps

notinKansasanymore

but of course... but not the SLR, just the 5mp digital... I might dust off the old SLR though...

party tonight in the Sonlight room? I wanna watch niKa dancin'..!

Do you mean that yer gonna ask niKa to dance (with you)? :dance:

And the 5mp digital camera make pics easier to share here anyway!!

Yo, sportsfans. We were fourth; I'm shocked. Rhino, you posted on the 10th thread and didn't come and put us back on top?

All that notwithstanding, SPRING appears to have begun. Aaaaaaaaah. Two Wednesdays ago, we had an inch of snow on the roads; now the kids are running to school in short sleeves.

It'll be Spring Break before we know it.

We also sold 110 boxes of Girl Scout Cookies. Thin mints, anyone? Caramel Delights?

What are you all up to these days? Any news?

love, niKa

Yo, sportsfans. We were fourth; I'm shocked. Rhino, you posted on the 10th thread and didn't come and put us back on top?

All that notwithstanding, SPRING appears to have begun. Aaaaaaaaah. Two Wednesdays ago, we had an inch of snow on the roads; now the kids are running to school in short sleeves.

It'll be Spring Break before we know it.

We also sold 110 boxes of Girl Scout Cookies. Thin mints, anyone? Caramel Delights?

What are you all up to these days? Any news?

love, niKa

What's your best low fat variety of GS (Girl Scout) cookie?

Spring? One might not think it today here... high barely made it to 60F ! :P and was very windy today.... BUT the Indian Rosewood tree on the east side of my house (morning shade) has already started with ITS spring... new leaves popping out all over. :)

News? Hmmm, nothing personally, but looking forward to an intriguing segment on 60 Minutes this week. A group of more than 1000 members of the US armed forces have signed a petition to tell Congress they oppose THIS particular war...

Nice to see you niKa. :)

Yo, sportsfans. We were fourth; I'm shocked. Rhino, you posted on the 10th thread and didn't come and put us back on top? love, niKa

:) Well, those 10th corpse need some time in the sun, even if it comes with help from the perfect 9th corpse.

Spring not quite sprung here, but at least it is not freezing and we are getting rain instead of snow. Still ice around and the lane is squishy.

Weather Reports???? you guys have sunk to weather reports to keep yourselves on top??? for shame.....

:) Well, those 10th corpse need some time in the sun, even if it comes with help from the perfect 9th corpse.

Spring not quite sprung here, but at least it is not freezing and we are getting rain instead of snow. Still ice around and the lane is squishy.

It's not a weather report when you're one with Nature, as so many of us are.

All together, now: OOOhhhhmmmmmmmm . . .

I have to be as one with the rototiller, and help mr.niKa get the garden ready. Last year, we planted the first of the garden on the last day of January (can you say Global Warming, Mr. President?); this year, we'll be about a month behind that, I expect.

Rocky: I was kidding! There should be Girl Scout Cookies for sale at various Walmart front entrances, or wherever the scouts in your area get permission to sell them. I've handled all that I care to handle for this year! Anyway, even though they've taken out almost all of the trans-fat (according to published reports), they're still really high in whatever other kinds of fat there are. Okay, it's still Thin Mints, which is pretty near earthly Nirvana (ohm), but it blows my diet.

Weather report: I have it on good authority that it rained the day before yesterday in Christchurch, NZ, but that the sun came out for awhile in the afternoon yesterday. It was actually today, but yesterday was today there. There are about a thousand extra Americans in town this weekend, due to a transfer of personnel into / out of the Antarctic stations.

It's not a weather report when you're one with Nature, as so many of us are.

All together, now: OOOhhhhmmmmmmmm . . .

I have to be as one with the rototiller, and help mr.niKa get the garden ready. Last year, we planted the first of the garden on the last day of January (can you say Global Warming, Mr. President?); this year, we'll be about a month behind that, I expect.

Rocky: I was kidding! There should be Girl Scout Cookies for sale at various Walmart front entrances, or wherever the scouts in your area get permission to sell them. I've handled all that I care to handle for this year! Anyway, even though they've taken out almost all of the trans-fat (according to published reports), they're still really high in whatever other kinds of fat there are. Okay, it's still Thin Mints, which is pretty near earthly Nirvana (ohm), but it blows my diet.

Weather report: I have it on good authority that it rained the day before yesterday in Christchurch, NZ, but that the sun came out for awhile in the afternoon yesterday. It was actually today, but yesterday was today there. There are about a thousand extra Americans in town this weekend, due to a transfer of personnel into / out of the Antarctic stations.

sew wuz eye :P

:confused::dance::confused:

Hey, ya'll. Please pray for my family. I was in the middle of typing something vitriolic about unutterably stupid, historically careless, probably drunk young men, and the computer winked out on me. I'll take that as a sign, and just give you the short story. My nephew (see description above) and his girlfriend (too innocent to take his measure the moment that she met him) had a baby girl two weeks ago. They are both large people. They were sleeping with the baby girl between them, and overlaid her. Coroner said "SIDS," but I think he was just trying to spare them further anguish.

This is horrifying.

Please pray for my nephew, his girlfriend, my sister (the grandmother), my brother (who feels like it was really his grandbaby), and please pray for me to be able to . . . pray better; mean it more; not be so, so angry. Wastrels waste; that's all that I keep thinking. Maybe if he hadn't lived the way he has, I'd have more compassion in my heart. The girlfriend, I'm sure, is demolished.

Difficult time. Trying to grieve, but just keep being angry.

Hey, ya'll. Please pray for my family. I was in the middle of typing something vitriolic about unutterably stupid, historically careless, probably drunk young men, and the computer winked out on me. I'll take that as a sign, and just give you the short story. My nephew (see description above) and his girlfriend (too innocent to take his measure the moment that she met him) had a baby girl two weeks ago. They are both large people. They were sleeping with the baby girl between them, and overlaid her. Coroner said "SIDS," but I think he was just trying to spare them further anguish.

This is horrifying.

Please pray for my nephew, his girlfriend, my sister (the grandmother), my brother (who feels like it was really his grandbaby), and please pray for me to be able to . . . pray better; mean it more; not be so, so angry. Wastrels waste; that's all that I keep thinking. Maybe if he hadn't lived the way he has, I'd have more compassion in my heart. The girlfriend, I'm sure, is demolished.

Difficult time. Trying to grieve, but just keep being angry.

Yeah... I understand. You could see how he could have done so much better with his life as he grew up, made choices... it's hard not to have some anger. Because you only wanted the best for him (and them).... I sorta feel some of this with my daughter (who I haven't seen in more than two years/haven't heard her voice for more than a year and a half... and now she's having substantial trouble with school).

Perhaps you could think about why you're angry with him... maybe it IS because you love him... and if you can focus that energy into a more compassionate way to think about him... anyway... even if my suggestion is off base (and if so, I apologize), I'll be thinking good things, praying for you and them... truly sad, tragic. :cryhug_1_:

I need to be able to love more. I can love the baby, and the little mamma, and I've never even met either of them; they're far away, and I didn't go for the baby's birth. The thought of this nephew, whom I last saw at my father's wake, who amid the hushed, loving voices of my elderly aunts and uncles and my grieving mother, was loudly bragging about the glories of his most recent bar fight, and I just can't finish this sentence to make any sense.

I need to be able to reach over this revulsion to be able to pray for him, too. Okay, that's maybe too much to share. Rocky and Tommy, thank you. Let's talk about the weather, or something.

A pair of woodpeckers was checking out nesting sites in my yard today. Also robins and cardinals. The trees are budding.

Her name was Lilly. She had dark hair.

Sorry, folks. Been a bit now, I've got my head more on my shoulders. If there was anything to be done about it, that would be different, but there's not. I can practically feel the prayers, reaching to calm. Those of you who read the posts and prayed, thank you very much; it helped a lot. Please continue to pray for the mom and the dad, and the grandma, the great-uncle who feels like a grandpa, and me, I'm the great-aunt.

So, that sweet little lamb.

May she rest in peace.

A pair of woodpeckers was checking out nesting sites in my yard today. Also robins and cardinals. The trees are budding.

Trees budding here too... Ash trees and, of course, my Indian Rosewood (aka Sissou tree). Spring training games start Thursday.

Across the street, there were some pretty loud and rambunctous birds apparently having a good time in an Orange tree. Citrus should start blossoming within a week to 10 days (because we had some colder nights than usual, it might take a little longer). AND just about the sweetest springtime fragrance is that of Orange Blossoms... :dance:

Rats with wings - do you mean pidgeons?

I can hear the surf vicariously through you, Tommy - turn it up - - :dance:

In Oklahoma, rats with wings = pidgeons

In the Keys, rats with wings = sea gulls

At night sweetniKa, I just sit out on the veranda smoking a cigar, watching the moonlight on the water and listen to the crickets and the gentle swaying of the palms...

...and I do it just for YOU!

In Oklahoma, rats with wings = pidgeons

In the Keys, rats with wings = sea gulls

At night sweetniKa, I just sit out on the veranda smoking a cigar, watching the moonlight on the water and listen to the crickets and the gentle swaying of the palms...

...and I do it just for YOU!

Oh? But do you like Pina Coladas? :spy:

Oh, Tommy - the sacrifices you make for your sister in Christ! The sea breeze, the sound of the waves; you're so thoughtful. Rocky, you were very nice to try to talk me through that horrible mess.

I'm having a Girl Scout cookie in both your honors. Caramel Delight.

love, niKa

Edited by notinKansasanymore

Oh, Tommy - the sacrifices you make for your sister in Christ! The sea breeze, the sound of the waves; you're so thoughtful. Rocky, you were very nice to try to talk me through that horrible mess.

I'm having a Girl Scout cookie in both your honors. Caramel Delight.

love, niKa

U 2 kiddo!

And I have seen girls scouts at the local grocery store set up to sell those yummy baked treats... thankfully, I had eaten lunch before going to the store, so I had no problem smiling, saying "no thank you" and walking on by.

Make no mistake, though, I'm not "dieting"... I just snack on apples (or other in-season fruit), low fat yogurt, and sometimes instant oatmeal (good for cholesterol, ya know) and I treat myself by putting a small bit of real maple syrup on the oatmeal. yummmmmmm!

Anyway, I'm feeling good and shaping up (slowly but surely). :dance:

And TommyStrange... ... do you like getting caught in the rain? :biglaugh: