GreaseSpot Cafe

9th Corps

notinKansasanymore

Stay warm, everybody (except you, FellowFisher; you stay cooooool).

love, niKa

Still pretty chilly here today, even though it only got down to 40F (15 degrees warmer than earlier in the week) at my house... cold and windy.

Sounds like it could be time for family Calisthenics at the niKa home in Norman! Hope the kids aren't going bonkers (yet). :biglaugh:

I am just seeing the new Gspot for the 1st time, and I gotta say someone's been spending a lot of time in secular technology. Too hi-tech for me...

It's great to see you guys and gals keeping young at heart, diving, sky diving, eating, etc. As the Word says, "The people sat down to eat, and rose up to play".

ya know... if'n you don't like the bright yellow new years 'skin' you can change it back to the 'good ole blue' by using the little drop down thing at the bottom left hand corner... choose default skin... I had to because my retinas were getting burned...

yeah sweetniKa... how is the wheel? (Stoops was looking at real estate in DFW this week)

ya know... if'n you don't like the bright yellow new years 'skin' you can change it back to the 'good ole blue' by using the little drop down thing at the bottom left hand corner... choose default skin... I had to because my retinas were getting burned...

yeah sweetniKa... how is the wheel? (Stoops was looking at real estate in DFW this week)

Which Stoops? Not the one from Tucson...?

I took care of the new year skin a couple of weeks ago... and I'm glad I did! tnks TomS

What wheel? What real estate? What are you saying? GET YOUR HANDS OFF OF MY COACH.

Do you know something I don't know? As Fellowshipper would say, throw me a bone here!

Rocky, the leg news is not good. It's finally been diagnosed, after trips to the top infectious-disease guy and the top circulation guy in the state. Lymphedema. Lifelong, but still in its baby stages, should respond to treatment, probably was hereditary and just got flared up by me almost breaking my foot around Thanksgiving. It doesn't mean that I'll miss out on all of the hiking that Mr.niKa and I have planned, but it means that I have to be really, really careful, and if it's swollen, I can't hike at all (truthfully I taught half of last semester in a houseshoe). This is kind of a surprising development, as I am generally very healthy. If it were something that I could take a pill for, or have surgery to fix, I'd be a happy camper, but the guy who pioneered treatment for it says that isn't going to happen. The tests that they've done to verify are only performed at a very few places in the nation, yet we have one right here in OKC; this means that it's been caught well before my leg got to be the size of a tree trunk. It still looks like my leg. On a good day, it still looks just like my other leg, too.

Thanks for asking.

I danced in the kitchen today, just to prove that I still wanted to.

:dance:

The sweetheart doctor e-mailed me the powerpoint that he uses to teach about lymphedema at the medical school. I got off very, very lucky.

Edited by notinKansasanymore

What wheel? What real estate? What are you saying? GET YOUR HANDS OFF OF MY COACH.

Do you know something I don't know? As Fellowshipper would say, throw me a bone here!

Rocky, the leg news is not good. It's finally been diagnosed, after trips to the top infectious-disease guy and the top circulation guy in the state. Lymphedema. Lifelong, but still in its baby stages, should respond to treatment, probably was hereditary and just got flared up by me almost breaking my foot around Thanksgiving. It doesn't mean that I'll miss out on all of the hiking that Mr.niKa and I have planned, but it means that I have to be really, really careful, and if it's swollen, I can't hike at all (truthfully I taught half of last semester in a houseshoe). This is kind of a surprising development, as I am generally very healthy. If it were something that I could take a pill for, or have surgery to fix, I'd be a happy camper, but the guy who pioneered treatment for it says that isn't going to happen. The tests that they've done to verify are only performed at a very few places in the nation, yet we have one right here in OKC; this means that it's been caught well before my leg got to be the size of a tree trunk. It still looks like my leg. On a good day, it still looks just like my other leg, too.

Thanks for asking.

I danced in the kitchen today, just to prove that I still wanted to.

:dance:

The sweetheart doctor e-mailed me the powerpoint that he uses to teach about lymphedema at the medical school. I got off very, very lucky.

Well... though it's obviously not the best news, it does sound like fairly good news. No doubt doing whatever else you can do to keep your health intact will help your leg too... Glad you can still dance!

So, you got your own Dr. McDreamy? I bet he's a youngster too... a lot of docs these days around here seem to be in their 30s... which feels a bit strange, but when they know what they're talking about it's okay anyway. :)

He's 70. After all, he had to spend a few years getting to be the Yoda of circulation. But he's a great example of health; he swims almost every day.

love, niKa

I musta been very encouraging to have such a wonderful Doc... and I'm very happy about it too. :dance:

Thanks, Tom and Rock. Peg shopping, indeed. I have to say that I've been noticing amputees more in the past six months than in the rest of my life put together. They say that old age isn't for sissies, but it's just not right for stuff to try to fall off the same year that I turn 50. I'm only halfway to my hundred (just knocked on wood). The Prudential lifestyle calculator says that I'll live to be over 98. I want to be dancin' right up until the last. Hopefully this will be only a minor occasional thing.

Soooo, enough about that. Fellowshipper, what's the weather like down there? I've got a friend visiting New Zealand (Christchurch) in a few weeks, who wants to know what to pack. Tommy, you didn't answer the question about your efforts to subvert the mighty OU Sooners by stealing away our coach. There are lots of cars in Norman with "STOOPS FOR PRESIDENT" bumper stickers; we do try to show our appreciation.

love, niKa

Thanks, Tom and Rock. Peg shopping, indeed. I have to say that I've been noticing amputees more in the past six months than in the rest of my life put together. They say that old age isn't for sissies, but it's just not right for stuff to try to fall off the same year that I turn 50. I'm only halfway to my hundred (just knocked on wood). The Prudential lifestyle calculator says that I'll live to be over 98. I want to be dancin' right up until the last. Hopefully this will be only a minor occasional thing.

Soooo, enough about that. Fellowshipper, what's the weather like down there? I've got a friend visiting New Zealand (Christchurch) in a few weeks, who wants to know what to pack. Tommy, you didn't answer the question about your efforts to subvert the mighty OU Sooners by stealing away our coach. There are lots of cars in Norman with "STOOPS FOR PRESIDENT" bumper stickers; we do try to show our appreciation.

love, niKa

A few years ago, when Linus Pauling (the Vitamin C doctor) died at age 93, I set my aim for at least 93. So, here's to your 100! :drink:

But it's becoming evident that the ol' flesh and bones will put up some resistance... :anim-smile: but that's just TOOOOOOOOOO bad!

One of the important lessons I'm (still) learning from my mother... she's had health issues all her adult life... but at 73, and even after losing two of her three kids... she's just too ornery to die. And I'm glad. :D

Yes, Tommy, you caught me on a day when I hadn't read the sports page (go figure), but Mr.niKa set me on the right path of understanding that evening at Tappas. Our Bobby loves the Sooners, and we love him right back. He just has a cool way of running the team; based on personal responsibility and hard work. The players who come through my class are some of the most dedicated scholars in the room, and they do tons of volunteer work, too. It's a college football revolution, man.

Happy Tuesday, everybody!

Tommy, Tommy. You joke and blaspheme. This is OKLAHOMA FOOTBALL you are teasing about. Get a grip, man. There will be universal consequences for your life, over which we have no control; I didn't write the book!

But I'd like to make an appointment for a snowcone in the sun by the pool at next year's Texas BBQ. This recurring Minnesota impersonation that Oklahoma is doing is getting old.

Do you have a green card? Where do I sign? Tell me more.