GreaseSpot Cafe

9th Corps

notinKansasanymore

Hey kids... for all you George Hendley fans (especially fans of his motivational speaker business)... Nov 30 is HIS birthday...

In case you wonder how I know this...

Memory key -- association.

George's b'day is the day AFTER mine... I forget, however, how old he is now.

:dance:

And if you think that's bizarre (that I remember something so inconsequential), I even remember the birthday of a "kid" I went to high school with... because his birthday is on the same day of the month as mine, but his is in September... and I haven't seen this guy in, oh, about 34 years... but I found him to be a dentist in Anchorage, AK... and even more bizarre... this DENTIST'S name is Dr. DeKay!

oh, that's all the useless information I have for you at this time.

Over and out (for now).

Health to all 9th and fans of the 9th! :biglaugh:

School and work called off again tomorrow. There's half a foot of snow on top of a 3/4 inch sheet of clear ice. On everything.

We are warm, and praying for the stray animals.

Everybody keep snuggly.

Tom, I hope that you slip your toes into the surf for the rest of us; I'm smelling the shore and the waves vicariously, through you!

hi

it's been like spring here :blink:

happy belated b-day rockstar !!!! dr. dekay a dentist. that is hysterical !!!!!!!!!

wonder how george and darlene are doing

tommystrange the keys ! i wish that thing was AVAILABLE -- transporting ourselves i think is what it's called. my kid thinks that is going to happen in the future. he doesn't know about it from the bible or anything. he just likes to think of cool stuff

nika i'm glad they got all your classes in one place. isn't it strange that you go that ? where does it come from, again ? i'm glad this time it's getting better without emergency. i think of you and say a prayer

and to all the rest,

good night god bless you are the best (is that copyrighted ?)

and to all the rest,

good night god bless you are the best (is that copyrighted ?)

No...but still,it might be plagiarized...It would probably be best not to say that,though,just in case VPW stole it from somebody else,like Rosalind Rinker,and they come back to haunt you and say 'Hey! That's my line!'...And you know how we shouldn't settle for "good" when "best" is available...So,a best night to all of you,...I'm gonna tune in my cd player and listen to 'Best Day,Sunshine' by the Beatles and 'Best Golly Miss Molly' by Little Richard,then get a best night's sleep so I can wake up to that wholesome bestness of Kellogg's Corn Flakes....

That sounds like a delicious hot meal. Try some flap jacks also...

Prayers for Nika Tica, dancin' is in the forecast.

Happy B-day Mr. Rockster.

Prayin' also for snow in the FL Keys.

Isn't God good??

Sexie, all things are available to HIM that believeth. Too bad you are a female. And the Verd says to be imitators of HIM; I'd like to see you try THAT one!!

simonzee and tommyT - i'm requesting to be on the same cloud in heaven so i can laugh for eternity

love you

oops i mean "all eternity"

Hmmmm.....? What if I were satisfied with only PART eternity? Is that like part PATernity? Or maybe it's like JUMBO shrimp?

Hmmm - part paternity is like being a little pregnant . . . that's . . . no deal.

It was only three inches of snow on top of the ice; it just looked like six from the window! Two snow forts and two and a half snowmen later, we've done the research, and we've seen it in the original. But there were drifts that were higher. There was an ice drift in front of the shed that was 2-1/5 inches. Worst storm in Oklahoma in about twelve years, or maybe eighteen, depending upon which storm one is using for comparison.

I listened to Simon's beach seagulls in my mind, for a moment. It was one of those "Spring is coming" moments. Is that like having bats in the belfry?

Spring is coming, Spring is coming, Spring is coming.

Tom:

Thank you.

It's been a difficult year for our team, what with losing two of the best players the week before the season began, loosing a key game to the Pac-10 referrees, and losing the best running back in the country to a broken collarbone. But you wouldn't hear a whiney sentence like that coming from any of the team or the coaches. They refuse to make excuses; they just put their heads into the team and work as hard as they can. I have to say that some of the finest people ever to come through my classes have been some of the kids on Bob Stoops's football teams.

Some day, I think he's going to be Bear Bryant famous, and Woody Hayes famous. I think that he and his brothers are in the forefront of a collegiate football character reawakening.

One of the guys announced a few weeks ago that he's gotten an academic scholarship for grad school, and is quitting football to have more time to raise his little brother. He's a key player, but the whole team wants him to do what's best for his family. That kind of love and respect for one another, and true caring about one another's lives, doesn't happen overnight, and I get the feeling that it doesn't exist in all programs.

Anyway, thanks.

The team member that I just mentioned is Carl Pendleton. Another player, Jacob Gutierrez, was Norman's Volunteer of the Year last year, because he spends so much time helping out an one of the local elementary schools. The football team kind of adopted that school, and hangs out there a lot.

None of this is privileged information; Pendleton's decision was written about on SI.com, and Gutierrez was on the front page of the paper. I only mention them as examples; they happen to be two who came through my classes. There is something cool happening here. It's very neat to see young people stay inside the system, and work it to the good of others.

Edited by notinKansasanymore

Say, we haven't heard from Rhino in a few days, and CNN says that some parts of Illinois have been without power, and will continue to be so for a few days. Anybody know if he's okay?

Hey Nika, thanks for thinking of me ... We got an inch of ice, then almost a foot of snow. I just got my car up the hill and down our 1/2 mile lane for the first time a few minutes ago. We had 5 below zero last night. :blink:

I heard 250,000 lost power around St Louis, but we were OK. I plan to get a 4x4 Silverado extended cab this week ... but the weather snuck up on us.

Is the Okie snow all gone yet?

Yeah sweetniKa.. Carl has been featured in (big long story) the Dallas paper a couple of different times this year... I wish he could figure out a way to keep playing though (in the NFL) because he sure seems like someone who would do a lot of good with the money he'd make...

Rhino... are you very far from New Harmony, IN?

Most of the snow is gone here; there are white patches amid the muddy patches, and lots of wet ground and sloggy sidewalks. The remains of the snowmen and snowforts stud the backyard with memories of glorious snowball fights. The children are back in school, there is peace in the house, and I am spending the day quietly grading papers.

How's everybody doing? Rhino, did you get your truck? Tommy, did you get the sand out from between your toes? Fellowshipper, are you planting a garden? Excie, are you ready for the Christmas break from LittleExcie's school?

The coffe-drinking lamp is lit.

:wave: