GreaseSpot Cafe

Why I reject belief in the Bible

Oak

Sounds like you want a God that is more like Santa Claus than a just and holy being.

He's the same God in both testaments. It is the NT that reveals Him to us all.

Where you blood and carnage, I see a God pleading with his people to come back. I see him accept Gentiles because they have a better heart.

If you chuck the OT, then the NT become null and void, because they are linked. Getting a handle on Paul and Peter and John comes from knowing the OT.

As for disagreeing with how God handled matters, well I can't say anything that will change your mind.

I pray you will find peace with it though.

"Is it practise on this site that posters are expected to edit their own posts if people find them offensive?"

Sometimes... depends on the poster, but it does happen... mostly (I think) when it offends multitudes... if it's only offensive to one or two, the poster may just mention it later... but it depends and isn't a 'hard and fast' rule.

"As well, is it practise that the Christians do not preach their beliefs on the board(and I have not seen any Christians preaching here) and so it is generally expected that Those who do not believe in Religion will not preach their beliefs on the site?"

People post whatever they want as long as it's within the guidelines of the forum "rules". The biggest thing I see is that one needs to make sure their topic is in the correct forum area. Post whatever you're comfortable with. Some folks will agree with you and others will disagree.

We are a strange dysfunctional family... we were in a cult ya know!

OK, Tom. I reluctantly removed "mistakenly" from my previous post. Neither my old dictionaries nor Merriam Webster online give that definition for "flip" but things change, I guess, whether I like it or not. I'll still use "flippant."

refiner

quote:
Is it practise on this site that posters are expected to edit their own posts if people find them offensive?

paw usually edits mine for me icon_wink.gif;)-->

seriously, sometimes i will edit mine if i've really hurt someone or have my own personal reasons

quote:
As well, is it practise that the Christians do not preach their beliefs on the board(and I have not seen any Christians preaching here) and so it is generally expected that Those who do not believe in Religion will not preach their beliefs on the site?
yes

except you'll be given some leeway if you're an exwayfer

wait, i'm not sure what you mean by "preaching"

long gone, my mom's been calling me "flip" for years

...."you'll be given some leeway if you're an exwayfer".....

Lol at Exy.

Being as this is the world wide web, should it be any surprise that complete strangers, unrelated to TWI might blow in the door.??

After all.....its only a click that seperates us.

I don't think there's an official policy, Refiner.

If you want to convince me there's no God, have at it. If I want to convince you there is one, I get the same privilege. The only policy I know of is respect, and as you can see, it's sometimes, umm, loosely enforced.

Sometimes the Christians and the agnostic/atheists will square off with each other. I usually choose not to engage in that. Most often, the Christians will discuss their differences and either try to come to an agreement or (more often) let the argument peter out. On occasion an agnostic will step into one of these discussions and tweak us about how superstitious we're being, but they mostly give us our space.

Best as I can tell, you did not violate any policy. Whether your thread is distasteful is up to the individual reader. Dot obviously had enough. I'm not too nuts about it either, but my reaction was more lazy-fare (or something). Others think there was nothing at all distasteful about it.

Everyone here was once a Christian. Some of us have held onto that and, speaking for myself, it hurts me to see people who once shared our faith now mock it or openly reject it. It's not easy, but it's also not my call. I'm sure other Christians here feel the same way.

It's hard enough to see ex-TWI people rejecting Christ. It's a little harder, and I don't quite know how to explain it, to see someone with no TWI background come in here and, just to see what the reaction will be, attack a belief system we hold dear.

(P.S. Changing the thread title didn't help. We love our Bibles, too).

As for editing: After a while, no one edits an old post because we don't expect it to be read. Sometimes we'll edit an old post to remove something we regret having said. It may make the responses look silly, but [a] people can tell what happened and by then no one's reading those posts anyway.

quote:
Being as this is the world wide web, should it be any surprise that complete strangers, unrelated to TWI might blow in the door.??

After all.....its only a click that seperates us.

Yes, it is a surprise. You're one of a tiny, tiny number of people who fit that description, and between Waydale (the predecessor of this site) and the Cafe, we've been around for about five years now. (There was a predecessor to Waydale, but I wasn't there so can't speak for it).

Bottom line: most people don't find us unless they're actually looking for info on The Way International. And not a whole lot of people have ever even HEARD of The Way International.

So yes, it IS a surprise.

Raf,

There is a HUGE difference between stating an opinion, and preaching to someone.

Refiner was doing the former, not the latter. I'm not going to waste my time trying to explain that simple fact if you can't grasp that concept.

As for the defending of the rights for anyone to post here, I still find it a curious statement. I believe we all have the right to post here, as long as the owner of this board permits us. It's by his graciousness that we all post here.

"Defending the right" to post here would only be needed if the said poster was doing something conflagrantly in opposition to the board rules.

Listen, I'm, getting a little tired of your constant condescension toward me, so stuff it already, k?

I defend your right to post here because someone else challenged it. I still defend your right to post here whether you can grasp that simple concept or not. A'ight?

quote:
Originally posted by Raf:

It's called having an opinion.

Which is exactly what Refiner was expressing when he posted his "Why I Reject the Christ" thread. It was an opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

I can understand that after being in an abusive cult it is natural to doubt people's motives. However, it is part of the healing process to realise that not everyone has an alterior motive. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. icon_wink.gif;)-->

quote:
Originally posted by Raf:

Listen, I'm, getting a little tired of your constant condescension toward me, so stuff it already, k?

My arguments are not directed at you personally, Raf. You need to separate yourself from the argument, and just take the words for themselves, instead of internalising them.

quote:
I'm not going to waste my time trying to explain that simple fact if you can't grasp that concept.

No, that wasn't directed at me personally at all.

Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining. Go buy some tact.

quote:
Which is exactly what Refiner was expressing when he posted his "Why I Reject the Christ" thread. It was an opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

My opinion is only stupid people reject Christ. That's just my opinion. I'm not trying to get you to accept Christ. I'm just expressing my opinion, don't you know.

(For those reading: I don't really feel that way. I'm just making a point).

Raf:

quote:
Sometimes the Christians and the agnostic/atheists will square off with each other. I usually choose not to engage in that. Most often, the Christians will discuss their differences and either try to come to an agreement or (more often) let the argument peter out. On occasion an agnostic will step into one of these discussions and tweak us about how superstitious we're being, but they mostly give us our space.

Generally my own policy too. Ive sort of blundered into this arguement, and as soon as I can remember how to stop justifying myself will avoid the subject and its consequent angst, as I would ordinarily do

Girl from Oz:

quote:Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

When is a cigar not a cigar? (sounds like something Batman and Robin would find from the Riddler)

In general: children are not innocent; they're inexperienced and relatively helpless, but not innocent.

quote:
Raf said:

It's hard enough to see ex-TWI people rejecting Christ. It's a little harder, and I don't quite know how to explain it, to see someone with no TWI background come in here and, just to see what the reaction will be, attack a belief system we hold dear.

I wish you could explain it a little... if you can... personally, I don't see any difference in whether or not there's an "outsider" involved (except they don't carry our baggage)... To me it's just two ex-Christians, one that was TWI one that wasn't.
quote:
Raf said:

(P.S. Changing the thread title didn't help. We love our Bibles, too).

Except Mike!
quote:
Raf said:

As for editing: After a while, no one edits an old post because we don't expect it to be read. Sometimes we'll edit an old post to remove something we regret having said. It may make the responses look silly, but [a] people can tell what happened and by then no one's reading those posts anyway.

Again (sorry) Except Mike. He goes back and edits often to make sure his posts are all in line with his current flavor. But Raf is right Refiner in regards to almost anyone else.

quote:
Originally posted by Zixar:

P-Mosh: The reason that it's impossible to have any sort of meaningful, intelligent discourse with you is that you are intellectually dishonest.

That's not very nice. I'm avoiding calling you names.

quote:

If it is possible for you to distinguish between the subjective and objective, you hide it with great skill. You assert without support, you declare without basis, and you cheat the conditions when you cannot concretely address an issue.

I disagree, but I don't like simplifying things to points where they are not accurate. That's why I don't like your examples, because they are oversimplified to the point of inaccuracy.

I definitely have some things about me that make it difficult to have a debate with me such as the fact that I jump around in what I'm talking about, I sometimes make vague statements, I sometimes change my mind about my opinion on things when I am proven wrong, and I have little patience. However, I'm not the only flawed person here.

quote:

I cannot say for certain whether this is primarily due to immaturity, ignorance, stupidity, or some other mental defect, but I can say that there is no point in continuing this argument with you.

Again, name calling doesn't make you right.

This is so like TWI. We have a new person in the fellowship who's not saying what we want to hear, so we maul him. Business as usual.

I'm laughing as I post this. It isn't intended to be a serious slam on GSC, I just think many of us probably participated in "mauling" new people a time or two.