GreaseSpot Cafe

"Food for Thought" - Original Sin

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another thought. It states in the Bible that Adam committed the offence against God. God told Adam not to eat of the tree.

Now, can people state the sum or gist of a subject without including every single word pertaining to the subject. Was the problem that Eve forgot to use the word "freely" when she responded to the serpent? Did she not accurately relate the gist of the only restriction that God had given to Adam? Did her omission of the word "freely" cause of the problem or what it simply that Eve was deceived?

In otherwords, did it really matter that Eve didn't say freely? I don't think so. I believe that we can be right to summarize biblical issues without going to the nth degree to do so, and that Eve's failure to include the word freely had absolutely no effect on the situation.

Biblefan Dave, the original self-pleasure was taught by VP, LCM taught it was Eve having homosexual sex with Satan who was manifested as woman. Now the part of that which is kooky (I jest, it's loaded with kooky) is if Adam was with Satan/Woman then it wouldn't have been homosexual sex for him.

I think it was a banana....sorry....joking.

Since God already had history with disobedience he probably saw fit to make it an option for mankind as well. I'm taking great liberty for God's thoughts of course, just IMHO. In following my thinking He would have also told Adam and Eve something of the choice made my Lucifer. Goodness, now I'm really taking liberties. But we don't know everything God said to them. Nor do we really know the fullness of what they had in the direct tie to God. Would he have taught them such things as Lucifer committing high treason (thanks WordWolf for given me the idea), or have I forgotten more than I learned and shouldn't even ask?

So following my reasoning it would be Satan (thanks CKnapp3) that committed the original "original sin". And the "original sin" would have been disobedience (thanks TheEvan).

quote:
So following my reasoning it would be Satan (thanks CKnapp3) that committed the original "original sin". And the "original sin" would have been disobedience (thanks TheEvan).

I agree. Originally -- sin came to be known (my imho), after the first disobedience occurred --- aka -- rebellion in Heavan, and yes -- it was disobedience!!.

"If the Word doesn't say it, we don't know it."

(or sumthin like that) -- vpw

There is a theory within Judaism, I will explain it as best I can, but please bear with me.

You have to start with the idea that the first few chapters of Genesis are figurative, not literal. There was no literal "tree of life" or "tree of good and evil".

When God told Adam not to eat of the tree of good and evil, it was not so much a command as a "warning", or perhaps better yet an "explanation". Eating of the "tree" had to do with a choice regarding an action. If you eat of the tree, these things are going to occur. .

a) you will have a higher level of knowledge/thinking

b) you will eventually die, or perhaps simply have an awareness of the fact that eventually you will die.

It was sort of an evolutionary step forward which made humans able to think on levels far above what your typical animal can do (beyond basic instinct, etc.) But man had to make the free will choice to take this step forward with full understanding of the benefits and consequences.

In this way, we all now have the ability to think, we all have a greater sense of self awareness, and we all have free will choice as opposed to basic instincts.

Many Jews do not believe in the concept of original sin and almost none believe we are all born sinners.

"It was sort of an evolutionary step forward which made humans able to think on levels far above what your typical animal can do (beyond basic instinct, etc.) But man had to make the free will choice to take this step forward with full understanding of the benefits and consequences."

Abigail- I have to respectfully disagree with you on this because adam did name all the animals before his disobedience. So I think they were thinking far above the animals already. Cuz after all "satan" didn't try to deceive the animals....

But I do understand that you are taking this from judaism too.

The problem is not in knowing good but in knowing evil. They already knew good but perhaps didn't recognize it as such, not having a knowledge of evil. They were in a sense, spoiled icon_biggrin.gif:D-->.

God first

Beloved Abigail

Yes I love your post but my thinking on this is a little differ

I believe there was a tree and still is but the clue is that its a spiritual tree which can not be seen with the natural eyes

Yes Adam was thinking before but only with his spirit but his flesh had only basic instincts

But since there was only good there was no free will until he sin

Since the tree was of good and evil and he had good he receive evil knowledge

With we now have two choices walk by the flesh knowledge or walk by the spirital knowledge

with love and an holy kiss blow your way Roy

Beloved Limit

You said "It was sort of an evolutionary step forward....."

Yes you are right it was not a step forward but backward

Once we were greater than animals but we became equare to all soul life since our spiritual life was dead weight

with love and an holy kiss blow your way Roy

Def,

"Gee I don't know Abi, "thou shalt not eat of it" sounds like a command to me.

I guess Moses gave the ten suggestions then?"

Well Def, there are many who view the Bible not as a concrete and absolute instruction book on how to live our lives but as a history of man's relationship with God. A relationship which has changed, evolved, grown over time. So, in that sense, there are no commandments.

However, there is certainly great wisdom contained therein which we can benefit from, if we choose to. There are certainly things from the Bible we can apply in our lives.

Personally, I prefer to "obey a commandment" because I can see the wisdom or love behind it and not simply out of "blind obedience". It is simply not my nature to blindly obey, wasn't as a child, wasn't in TWI, and still isn't now.

Vert,

"Abigail- I have to respectfully disagree with you on this because adam did name all the animals before his disobedience. So I think they were thinking far above the animals already. Cuz after all "satan" didn't try to deceive the animals...."

And perhaps that is exactly what the tree is. The choosing of what one wanted instead of what one was ordered to do. "you may not eat", "but I want to eat". Previously, they followed orders, then they made a choice. The act of choosing something instead of blindly following could be seen as an evolutionary step forward. Satan, likewise, does not have to be literal, but simply the thought processes that occured in the decision making.

Roy,

" But since there was only good there was no free will until he sin

Since the tree was of good and evil and he had good he receive evil knowledge"

Exactly. How can one have free will if one is not aware of a choice to be made. And think of all of the things humanity has learned over the centuries. We've certainly made a lot of mistakes, are still making mistakes, will make more mistakes. But we also are learning as individuals and as a species.

"And perhaps that is exactly what the tree is. The choosing of what one wanted instead of what one was ordered to do. "you may not eat", "but I want to eat". Previously, they followed orders, then they made a choice. The act of choosing something instead of blindly following could be seen as an evolutionary step forward. Satan, likewise, does not have to be literal, but simply the thought processes that occured in the decision making"

Good points Abigail, but I don't think they were blindly following what God said. The choice they made had a devasting effect on man. Fixed by the second Adam.

An interesting side note is this...

Gen 3:22And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever: 23Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken. 24So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

"the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever"

Live for ever....

The way of the tree of life is there for those looking for it.

God first

Beloved Abigail

Yes there can be no free will without evil or sin -v- good

They may of been free will but Adam did not know it until he sin

Maybe It was in God's plan for men to sin so man could understand why he should choice to walk by God's direction

He could not understand sin until it came into the world by his sin

That was Adam first great awakeing to good and evil

Now I think he evolved backwards but I look for the day when we can evolved to be like God

God may of plan sending his son to save us because he plan for us to sin

with love and an holy kiss blowed your way Roy

quote:
Originally posted by year2027:

God first

Beloved Abigail

Yes there can be no free will without evil or sin -v- good

That's not true, evil existed before the fall.

They may of been free will but Adam did not know it until he sin

Maybe It was in God's plan for men to sin so man could understand why he should choice to walk by God's direction

He could not understand sin until it came into the world by his sin

That was Adam first great awakeing to good and evil

Now I think he evolved backwards but I look for the day when we can evolved to be like God

Can you explain how we will evolve into being God?

God may of plan sending his son to save us because he plan for us to sin

with love and an holy kiss blowed your way Roy

[

• 2 weeks later...

quote:
Originally posted by Keith:

Again personal Opinion here.

It says that Eve was deceived. Adam was not deceived. He walk into it with his eyes wide open. He knew what he was doing. Eve did not. That would make the sin Adam’s and not Eve’s.

A classic example of man thinking with his penis, no doubt icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

• 3 months later...

quote:
Originally posted by Abigail:

There is a theory within Judaism, I will explain it as best I can, but please bear with me.

You have to start with the idea that the first few chapters of Genesis are figurative, not literal. There was no literal "tree of life" or "tree of good and evil".

When God told Adam not to eat of the tree of good and evil, it was not so much a command as a "warning", or perhaps better yet an "explanation". Eating of the "tree" had to do with a choice regarding an action. If you eat of the tree, these things are going to occur. .

a) you will have a higher level of knowledge/thinking

b) you will eventually die, or perhaps simply have an awareness of the fact that eventually you will die.

It was sort of an evolutionary step forward which made humans able to think on levels far above what your typical animal can do (beyond basic instinct, etc.) But man had to make the free will choice to take this step forward with full understanding of the benefits and consequences.

In this way, we all now have the ability to think, we all have a greater sense of self awareness, and we all have free will choice as opposed to basic instincts.

Many Jews do not believe in the concept of original sin and almost none believe we are all born sinners.

Yeah-that's it Abigail, thanks.

Need to consider it better.

quote:
posted December 13, 2004 17:15

I have come to the conclusion that I really don't know what the original sin was. But, I see garden + tree + fruit + eat. There was a garden. Well, it was called the Garden of Eden, so I assume it had the characteristics of a garden regarding living and growth plants. I know there were animals because Adam was naming them.

Ok, in the Garden are trees. One particular tree has fruit which Adam and Eve are forbidden to eat. Garden, tree, fruit, and eat all seem too literal to me to be symbolic, not when they are all mentioned together in close connection. Therefore, I don't believe it to be self-pleasure, as taught in CFS. I forgot what LCM taught it was in his class, but that didn't sound right either. Nor could I definitely conclude it was an apple, although an apple is a fruit.

I have decided that most likely it was a mango. If man eats, man go out of garden.

could not resist the mango~~~ i think the garden of eden is the body and all the animals named are manifestations of the body and some of these animals named were given to the stars and the original sin is that we stopped thinking so wonderously and disobedient to freedom of will led to murder of our thoughts to be free~~~ or sumthink like that~~~

Hey, Moses parted a red sea and jc walked on the water~~~ some people knows how to do that type of thing for some reason and amazing randi can bend a spoon

just a mango thot

icon_cool.gifthat is one of the quickest, cleanest, smoothest explanations i have read on the subject of "the fall" in our modern Biblical context, Abi. not easy to do. and i thank you for your courage

it seems more or less a reversal to what is understood thru PFAL and most fundamental religions and methods. and so no wonder it is often taken as some sort of threatening deception (which seems like a quite natural reaction)

and thanks cm, for remembering it and bringing it back to the present