GreaseSpot Cafe

"Food for Thought" - Original Sin

I have come to the conclusion that I really don't know what the original sin was. But, I see garden + tree + fruit + eat. There was a garden. Well, it was called the Garden of Eden, so I assume it had the characteristics of a garden regarding living and growth plants. I know there were animals because Adam was naming them.

Ok, in the Garden are trees. One particular tree has fruit which Adam and Eve are forbidden to eat. Garden, tree, fruit, and eat all seem too literal to me to be symbolic, not when they are all mentioned together in close connection. Therefore, I don't believe it to be self-pleasure, as taught in CFS. I forgot what LCM taught it was in his class, but that didn't sound right either. Nor could I definitely conclude it was an apple, although an apple is a fruit.

I have decided that most likely it was a mango. If man eats, man go out of garden.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:
Originally posted by Oakspear:

Evan & BFD:

Yup, the particulars aren't that important are they? Whether it was a literal tree, a tree standing figuratively for something else...Adam and Eve _disobeyed_ God.

End of story, eh?

A momentus (that's lowercase, if you noticed) day in history. Oak and I absolutely agree on something. God did not identify the particular fruit. God did not say whether it was literal or figurative. If God did not specify it, and it cannot be garnered from the context, then it doesn't matter. Yeehaw, hooray. If God didn't say or imply it, it really doesn't matter.

Hey, I was honestly hoping someone had uncovered some hidden information that identified exactly what the original sin was. But, I am perfectly fine just having it be disobedience, and disobedience, alone. One can't determine obedience unless there is something to obey. Why did God have this one thing Adam couldn't do? He had to be able to determine Adam's obedience.

Yes indeed, it is a momentous day icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Although, whatever it was, I'm sure it mattered to Adam and Eve; God gave them specific instructions, and they decided to take a different path.

Here's some more food for thought:

Was God's command totally arbitrary and capricious, or was there some logic and ssense that Adam and Eve could easily perceive?

Was the "thou shalt surely die" part of the command because God was going to punish Adam & Eve, or because of an inherant danger in "the tree" that would cause death in and of itself?

An illustration:

When my children were small I told them to eat their vegetables. No inherant, immediate harm would come from not eating their vegetables, but there might be a consequence from failure to obey imposed by me. On the other hand they were told not to play in the street, inherant, immediate harm could result if a car ran them over. The first was a standard that I imposed because of my standards, which were debatable and arguable, the second was imposed to keep them alive.

Which was the command to not "eat"?

Like anyone else, the particulars behind the "original sin" may be anyone's guess, but I must confess, I have certainly found theories and takes concerning the first two chapters of Genesis far more interesting than anything I recall being offered through Wayshua Multinational.

I think the view that the first two chapters of Genesis comprising of two different texts - hence, two different creation accounts stitched together - has a bit going for it. Theories along these lines may often be reviewed in the field of OT critical scholarship.

Then there are various esoteric interpretations on why these accounts are different and even contradictory in places,i.e., the first creation account actually concerns that of the spiritual realm, and the second, the material (though I haven't pursued that line of reasoning since first encountering it years ago).

Then there's what might be regarded a "gnostic" interpretation (seemingly evident in some movements of Judaism, as explored by Margaret Barker) - that the first creation account concerned a world created wholly good by the highest "Elohim", while the second, concerned the original creation going downhill upon the angel "Yahweh" entering the scene.

Pretty unusual, but somehow not as outrightly insane as a masterbating Adam, a lesbian Eve, and a universe bobbing in a primoridial sac of water. Which sounds like a bad soap opera.

Danny

Isn't it a great thing when a Christian can be right in his thinking about a subject without having to know the details to the nth degree.

Can a Christian simply accept the truth that Jesus Christ was crucified, without having to affirm that it was either a straight pole or a t-shaped object? It is important from God's perspective that we realize what was accomplished by Jesus died upon that object. Or, maybe we do need to know exactly what shape the object was, exactly which day of the week it was, the exact temperature at the time of his death, the exact composition of the soil, the exact number of people present, the height and weight or each soldier present, the wind direction at the time. Or we can just realize what his death represented, period.

Actually,

in this case,

based on the results,

I'd be comfortable calling it "rebellion",

or calling it "High Treason".

(wordnet dictionary)

'High Treason: a crime that undermines the offender's government."

(hyperdictionary)

"High treason: treason against the sovereign or against the state,

the highest civil offense."

"Legal Definition of treason:

A breach of allegiance to one's government, usually committed

through levying war against such government or by giving or comfort

to the enemy.

The offense of attempting by overt acts to overthrow the government

of the state to which the offender owes allegiance; or of betraying

the state into the hands of a foreign power. Treason consists of

two elements: adherence to the enemy, and rendering him aid and

comfort."

Biblefan Dave

posted December 15, 2004 11:12

Isn't it a great thing when a Christian can be right in his thinking about a subject without having to know the details to the nth degree.

Can a Christian simply accept the truth that Jesus Christ was crucified, without having to affirm that it was either a straight pole or a t-shaped object? It is important from God's perspective that we realize what was accomplished by Jesus died upon that object. Or, maybe we do need to know exactly what shape the object was, exactly which day of the week it was, the exact temperature at the time of his death, the exact composition of the soil, the exact number of people present, the height and weight or each soldier present, the wind direction at the time. Or we can just realize what his death represented, period.

Hmmm~~~ can a Christain simply accept the truth that a Christain can also endure a root canal without No·vo·cain.

Can a Christain simply accept the Earth is not the Centre of The Universe?

Can a Christain simply accept ~~~

~~~

Whoops whoops and hula hoops, forgive me, this thread is concerning Christians BFD Style~~~

Man, Dig It On!!!

postscript ~~~ A period is not final by any stretch oh dee imagination ...

ROK On!!!

First I will say that this is my opinon after working the word on what the orginal sin was. Second I'm going to state it in a nut shell, because I'm writing during a short break at work, without a whole of of scripture to back up it. But I do believe that it is there. I also freely admit that this is my thinking and it very well could be wrong.

God said don't. Adam and Eve Did. That's the basics.

Since Jeremiah 10:23 says - "O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. "

and prior to the fall we did not know good and evil. I believe the evidence is that man was not to make his own moral judgments regarding right and wrong. We were to let God decide what was right and wrong. The actual sin I believe was that man decided that something God said was wrong was right.

The Tree is refered to in Genesis as the Tree of the knowledge of good and evil. When they begain to decide this for themselves man sinned and tried to make these judgments with a brain that I don't really believe was made to make this type of moral judgment.

If this is correct it is interesting to note that the first person raised after man begain deciding right and wrong was murderer.

Interesting, Keith, especially when you consider Wierwille's emphasis on self-determination and freedom of choice. certainly, free will can be understood to be implicit in teh Bible, but it is certainly not explicit. Why? I think because man's problem isn't that he fails to exercise free will. His problem is because when he does, he makes such bad choices! But submitting one's will to God and being under his control and authority was a concept not in the Way lexicon...