GreaseSpot Cafe

Digest/Commentary re: propfal thread-Gen com.

A brief return to consideration of "Mike" and his affliction:

quote:
It ["Mike's" postulate that PFAL is God-breathed] always demonstrates false because your [Raf's] whole approach insists on it being false to begin with.

Let me admit this: if I were to drop this postulate, then I'd see that you are correct, from human logic.

But if you adopt the postulate, then you'd see that it is correct, from spiritual revelation.

["Mike", Jan. 22, '05, 12:55, near bottom of page 2, this thread]

"Mike" admits that his position rests, not on logic, but upon spiritual revelation; and that the spiritual revelation comes after agreeing to buy into the lie that PFAL is God-breathed.

By deliberately choosing to believe a lie, abusing his God-given ability to think, "Mike" has freely given away his ability to think for himself. The "revelation" he receives from his "advanced Christ formed within" spirit over-rides the evidence of his God-given senses, and his God-given ability to reason.

quote:
And even as they did not like ["dokimazo" = "to make trial, proof, to test"] to retain God in their knowledge ["epignosis" = "experiential knowledge"], God gave them over to a reprobate ["adokimos" = "without ability to judge or prove"] mind...

Romans 1:28a&b

In order to keep God in our experiential knowledge, in order to know Him, as opposed to knowing about Him, we have to practice judgment: "...that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God"; "prove all things, hold fast that which is good"; "try ["dokimazo" = "to make trial, proof, to test] the spirits whether they are of God..."

Because "Mike", in his aceptance of the lie that PFAL is God-breathed, abandoned his responsibility to test, he lost his freedom to test. Now "Mike" trusts an alien spirit, his "advanced Christ formed within" spirit, to do all his judging, all his testing, all his proving, all his critical thinking, for him.

"Mike" DOES see visions of Jesus studying from PFAL books! "Mike" DOES get revelations about secret messages hidden in PFAL. "Mike" DOES receive assurances from spirits that he, "Mike", in place of Wierwille, now speaks for God.

For "Mike", these experiences are just as real as anything that you or I believe to be real, and they will remain so, no matter what we argue, as long as he continues to put faith in the lie that PFAL is God-breathed.

There's no need to get frustrated with "Mike's" intransigence. Until he repents of his foolishness, he can't be any other way.

Love,

Steve

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif Yeah, well the same thing to you too buddy! What makes you think your "experiential knowledge" of God is more perfect than anybody elses??? The fact your own "experiential knowledge" of PFAL is weak (whatever the heck that would be) would also indicate any other source for your knowledge to know God "experientially" would be equally as weak - or weaker. I am more convinced of the later.

Your use of the scriptures to cut someone down is beyond pathetic. We are to believe you know God experientially by this pathetic and weak application of the scripture by you? All you have proven is your inability to know the true God experientially more than anything. If you want to prove your "experiential knowledge" of God, here's a bit of advice. Keep your two big ears open and your one big mouth shut until you have something edifying to say. That's included in the "prove all things - hold fast to that which is good" in the exact very same scripture you just used to cut someone down. Or would that be some strange doctrine or form of heresy for you?

quote:
I might add here that an occasional reach for our KJVs for review, or context, or to follow up on a suggested reference in the Book of Mormon is certainly in order.

Did I quote that right? icon_confused.gif:confused:--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_confused.gif:confused:-->

Of course I did NOT quote that right, and deliberately so ----

Mike - I know you have heard it before, but your *arrogance* concerning the "collateral's" (sp?) IMMEDIATELY reminded me of the very high regard that the Mormon's hold for their *Book of Mormon*, over anything, and all things, that the bible might have to say.

If you hold vpw's *works* above the bible, I can and will go along with that -- but rest assured -- I will *lump* his works right along with those of Joseph Smith.

Pipe dreams from heavan -- if you will. Lots of smoke, little substance.

Edited by dmiller

... so that we may have access to his advanced abilities and approval...

This part is pretty much the only conclusion that I could draw since, when it comes to the dreaded Table of Challenge Mike is the sole arbitor. And if Mike is the sole arbitor of anything placed upon the aforementioned Table of Challenge then one would have to assume that he is using his advanced abilities... and for the life of me I can't think of a reason why anyone would bring something to the celebrated Table of Challenge for the express purpose of dis-approval... the statement seems to stand up to logical scrutiny...

...therefore...

Mike has offered a 'Table of Challenge' (which he claims exposes things which some would prefer to keep hidden away) so that we may have access to his advanced abilities and approval.

...shall remain... unless maybe I want to italicize some of the words in it...

oh... and I'll be sure to use a capital "W" next time...

Why don't you try to better understand what that Table is all about?

I recently did a shorter version of it, I think to Abigail, and then with someone else. It's not that complicated.

I'm only trying to show that people don't have as solid a footing to stand on as they think. When their footing is thought through a little deeper with my table storyline, they see it gets pretty flimsy. Saying that the Bible is our only rule for faith and practice gets tested when we alter our Bibles so freely with our notes and better translations.

Scientists do this all the time when they are trying to get things more solid. They re-examine their fundamental assumptions, and what exactly it is they feel sure of, and try to identify what they are leaning on.

Steve Lortz,

You wrote to WTH: "How do you explain "Mike's" imperviousness to reason and the evidence of our senses (what's actually written in PFAL)?"

Please, allow me to explain my own "imperviousness" to reason and evidence.

As far as reason goes:

(1)I see that it is limited (BTMS p.23) compared to revelation.

(2) I see that in life situations strict reason is very limited in how far it can go. In simple Geometry it's wonderful and very powerful. In simple Physics situations, like the hydrogen atom reason can produce beauty and power to predict. But as the physical systems get more complex, reason and logic can only be applied in short spurts, with giant leaps in between. When we get to human life and beliefs, hardly anything can be really proved. People who demand proofs and strict logical reason to counter arguments of others, overlook the sad fact that they can't really prove much of anything themselves if they want to attain to their own standards.

(3) When reasoning, the fundamental assumptions that the reasoner starts out with, the unprovable postulates the reason is based on become crucial. I chose to place as one of my fundamental postulates the written form of PFAL. When I use that postulate, everything lines up to my satisfaction. People's demands that I drop that as a postulate and prove it to them are refused by me as a matter of policy. When people like you "proove" some contradiction in PFAL, I look at your reasoning and see my postulate missing at the beginning and back off. I have already chosen to not approach ACs and AEs with your set of tools. We get differing conclusions in our reasoning because we start out with fundamentally different approaches.

Maybe WTH was objecting to the way you berate me for not adopting your approach with your postulates of choice, and your implying I'm playing with devil spirits if I don't conform to your methods. That ds scare club was held over my head one too many times for me to take it seriously. Maybe WTH thinks that old Craig club stinks and has had enough of it.

As to the evidence of my senses, when I read PFAL with my postulate in place, it yields differing results than when you read it without my postulate. I invite you to alter your approach to see what new evidence will be presented to you. If you refuse, I will not berate you. If I refuse to do it you way, it's because I've already shopped at that store, and decided to return the goods. I invite you to shop and compare. Come back to PFAL and try the meekness postulate and see what God shows you.

quote:
Why don't you try to better understand what that Table is all about?

I recently did a shorter version of it, I think to Abigail, and then with someone else. It's not that complicated.

I'm only trying to show that people don't have as solid a footing to stand on as they think. When their footing is thought through a little deeper with my table storyline, they see it gets pretty flimsy. Saying that the Bible is our only rule for faith and practice gets tested when we alter our Bibles so freely with our notes and better translations.

Scientists do this all the time when they are trying to get things more solid. They re-examine their fundamental assumptions, and what exactly it is they feel sure of, and try to identify what they are leaning on.

Thank you for solidifying my point, Mike... right neighborly of you!

Tom Strange,

What do you use as your unalterable standard, with which you line other things up against to decide whether to accept them or reject them?

Do yo HAVE an unalterable standard like that, or do you wing it?

If you have one, is it something tangible or abstract, as in having weight if I put a bathroom scale on the table under it?

Is it a book that can be seen, or a set of books? Or is it a set of books that disappeared from sight many centuries ago?

Remember the rule here is unalterable.

Mike you said:

(3) When reasoning, the fundamental assumptions that the reasoner starts out with, the unprovable postulates the reason is based on become crucial. I chose to place as one of my fundamental postulates the written form of PFAL. When I use that postulate, everything lines up to my satisfaction.

I have heard this before when it books like

Book of Mormon

Watchtower

Mein Kampf

Quran

are used. Why is yours any better?

quote:
Originally posted by Mike:

So far, or at least here, I didn't say mine was better, just that I liked it better, and invited others to try it.

What is YOUR unalterable standard?

Mike,

A) Goey already delivered a beatdown on this some time ago.

B) I offered to accept your "Table of Challenge" if you'd address the

ORIGINAL "Table of Challenge"-the evidence that pfal is less than

God-breathed.

With you ignoring both of those answers so completely,

do you really think that your usual tactic of

announcing a week later

"they refused to play my game-so I win by default!"

will actually cut any ice with anyone except your drone?

We've been thru this a few times already.

WordWolf,

you wrote; "We've been thru this a few times already."

Yes, that's a fact. I mentioned this repetition either above or on the thread I had started to which this corresponds. This multiple thread deal is confusing. Then Tom rubber stamped his graffiti on the "Masters..." thread and we had three going yesterday. WHAT a circus!

Yes, we've been through it a few times already, buried deep in the "Masters..." , but not only are there new people who had seen it, I'm getting better at explaining it. Do you think I should take a tip from Tom and paste my new condensed, simplified version in posters faces a lot?

You wrote: "A) Goey already delivered a beatdown on this some time ago."

I only vaguely recall that. Any idea of where or any key words I can use to search it out?

You wrote: "B) I offered to accept your "Table of Challenge" if you'd address the ORIGINAL "Table of Challenge"-the evidence that pfal is less than God-breathed."

I explained why I refuse to do that to Steve Lortz just above on THIS thread (I checked).

I see that evidence as gathered with a set of tools I don't want to use. I recognize that with the utilized tools, that evidence is impressive, but I discount it and don't want to waste time there. I have spent some years, off and on, operating with with that set of tools and seeing similar evidence.

The reason I discount it is because it pales when compared with the evidence I can gather using MY set of tools.

I invite you too, to shop "think-space" a little more and AT LEAST try taking my test silently for yourself. It may stimulate new thoughts you've never had. It's not like I'm asking you to take up MY tool set and spend a lot of time with it (although THAT too would be an adventure for you).

I'm just asking you to closely examine YOU OWN tool set by looking at my Table of Challenge.

Here's the latest update of it:

Do you use an unalterable standard, with which you line other things up against to decide whether to accept them or reject them? By unalterable, I mean something bigger than you, and that you don't dare change once you have established it as your only rule of faith and practice.

Sometimes a person's life undergoes a revolution, and an old standard is discarded, replacing it with a new one. But I mean in the stable now, not during a revolution.

Do you have an unalterable standard like that, or do you wing it? Winging it is like changing your standard to fit the feel of the moment, in which the word "standard" wouldn't fit.

If you have a stable standard, is it something tangible or abstract, as in having weight if you put it on a bathroom scale? Is it a book that can be seen, or a set of books? Or is it a set of books that disappeared from sight many centuries ago?

Remember the rule here is unalterable.

quote:
You can forget about the table. It was just a prop.

Now --- This I can agree with! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

The *table* is only as good as the "eats" placed upon it. So far -- the menu from you, hasn't been that appetizing. The tablecloth, has been pulled out from under the plates you have set on the table, and there was a really big mess on the floor. Why pick it up, and try to make it look *edible* again?? Doesn't work.

When one places the works of a self-proclaimed Man-of-God above that of scripture, you are denying the Wisdom of the Creator, and are succumbing to the accusation of Romans 1:25 --

Romans 1:25 -- "Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, Who is blessed forever. Amen.

quote:
Do you use an unalterable standard, with which you line other things up against to decide whether to accept them or reject them? By unalterable, I mean something bigger than you, and that you don't dare change once you have established it as your only rule of faith and practice.

Though addressed to Tom, I'll take a shot at this. There is one (and only one) unalterable standard -- and that is the bible, not any work by docvic, or any other person who thinks they *have it right*. What was revealed in the bible, is what is necessary for life and godliness, and any/all books written outside of such, are merely commentaries that give an opinion by the author of *said* commentary, and are not to be in any way confused with scripture.

So many authors, over so many years, so many opinions, so many disagreements, so many factions/denominatons, and the two things they all have in common is:

A) They all claim to be right; and

B) They take all their "postulations" from the bible.

I admire you for taking a very *positive* stand on what you believe, but really -- it is time to take off the *rose-colored glasses*, and see the world as it is --- black and white.

Ps -- PFAL might be a nice acronym, but BIBLE is a better one:

Basic

Instruction

Before

Leaving

Earth

icon_smile.gif:)-->

David

dmiller,

Do you actually use an UNALTERABLE Bible version as your standard? icon_eek.gif

Don't you reserve the right to alter your Bible version if you find an error by the translators, or if the translators used a section that is not in the earliest manuscripts?

I know of a sect that uses the KJV as an unaterable God-breathed text. They are pretty kooky, in my opinion.

You don't strike me as being that kooky. icon_smile.gif:)--> I'll bet you DO alter your Bible version, if not with white-out and ink or in the margins, at least in your mind.

dmiller, allow me please...

Mike,

quote:
Do you actualy use an unalterable Bible version as your standard?
...do you use an unalterable version of PFAL?

quote:
Don't you reserve the right to alter your Bible version if you find an error by the translators, or if the translators used a section that is nt in the earliest manuscripts?
...like you have with PFAL?

quote:
I know of a sect that uses the KJV as an unlaterable text. They are pretty kooky, in my opinion.
...I know of a guy in SoCal that uses PFAL as an unalterable text. I think he's pretty kooky.

Sorry, couldn't resist! icon_smile.gif:)-->

Tom,

I may be kooky icon_biggrin.gif:D-->, but I don't alter my PFAL texts.

I take notes in the margins, but I no longer challenge Dr in any way, on any issue, and in that way PFAL is my unalterable standard.

Ok, I admit, that there are a VERY small number of errors from the printers and proofreaders, but they are VERY few compared to KJV corrections, AND they are VERY trivial compared to KJV errors.

The entire content of PFAL in my operations is truely unalterable.