GreaseSpot Cafe

What do you think of me getting a Mac?

krys

I'm not into instigating a fight over here.

I would never have considered it, BUT a friend of mine gets a very good discount (although we have not discussed price yet- so I have no clue about cost) and I know they are excellent for graphics which is what I'm needing for my stitching designing.

I will listen and respect any and all posts pro and con. This is a true solititation for suggestions.

Gosh, I just don't know. Have never used a Mac. But I know Pawtucket is a Mac fan. Maybe he can chime in. I bet they are pretty good systems.

I definitely like their 30" LCD monitors! Pictured here:

30 inch Cinema Display

As one article said:

"Apple 30” Cinema Display - Possibly Single Most Desirable Piece of Technology on Planet"

I just wish they were not over $3,000 or I would run out and get one.

Some day these awesome LCD's will be cheap. Problem is, I want one now. Where's my lottery ticket.

Random thoughts:

Are there stitching design software programs you want to run? Do they run on Mac? Or are you just going to use all purpose graphic software like Photoshop. It runs on both.

I've never used one, but my understanding is that for most stuff a windows program is just as good (though maybe not as elegant).

I know there is some software for publishing and video (Quark is one) that they dont' make for windows.

And you can get "windows emulator" software that allows you to run any (so they say) windows program on a Mac. That may give you the best of both - if it lives up to the hype.

The emulator is no easy task because chips are different in how they process data. Kind of like Hebrew and English.

Windows machines do tend to be cheaper.

People I know that use Macs just like how they feel better.

I've used both, and in fact have both here at home.

Switching from PC to Mac is going to require some learning on your part, they are definitely different machines. Macs are often more expensive to repair if you run into trouble.

However, there is a lot you can do with a mac, once you learn, and as Paw pointed out, they are virtually immune to viruses.

I sort of like My3Cents take - maybe find the computer program you really really want first, then the computer to go with the program. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Abigail's right. Find the program you really want to use, then pick the computer accordingly.

Personally, I have several friends with Macs and while all of them praise it to the sky, every one of them has run into a program they really wanted to run, but it was PC-only, and the emulators aren't good enough.

I've never had a friend with a PC wish he had a Mac for a program.

In short, if you don't really know why you'd want a Mac, get a PC. The things that the Mac does really well, you really have to be a professional in order to exploit it past the PC's capabilities. (movie editing, music, perhaps desktop publishing, but that's about it.)

Keep your anti-virus software up to date, and leave the Macs to the fanatics and the music/graphics professionals. For the usefulness you'll get, you'll have less cost and less hassle with a PC in the long run, despite Windows' foibles.

I was only looking at Mac's because of their legendary graphics record and that I've recently heard so much about the new Ipod.

The program I wan comes in both versions, so that is not an issue.

I appreciate all your responses. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

MACS are awesome...I gre up with a programmer Dad from the 60's had a PC since they were invented...now we have a Mac os10 Panther...will never go back!

And Itunes are great...download from Limewire, copy to Itunes, erase the Lime wire and you can burn your own CD's---we do alot ...and make movies and all kinds of stuff...typing on it as we "speak"

Unlike Abby, most PC people have never owned both to know enough to really know the hick-ups....I will never go back...and I think knowing they havent written a virus that can get a Mac yet is comforting..even though we have all the protection...never needed it.

My son has a PC laptop his school has given him and we have a router so he surfs a lot at home, however he has picked up as many as 3 viruses a week...even though he has good software that catches them, he always has to turn everything off...cant save where he is at and has to start over....GIVE me a MAC.

Lianne

Just a note on the, "They don't get viruses like windows do." statement. The reason for this is the same reason that you may not be able to find a particular program written for the MAC platform.

There are far fewer software developers and malicious code hackers in the MAC world than in the PC world. There ARE Macintosh viruses out there. I had a MAC a few years back, got a virus, and had to go through a lot of downtime and trouble before I got rid of it. MAC viruses do exist, there just aren't nearly as many of them.

MACs are otherwise OUTSTANDING, though expensive, machines.

The choice is yours. Good Luck! icon_smile.gif:)--> icon_smile.gif:)--> icon_smile.gif:)-->

My 2 cents...

Nomad888

If you do get a Mac I recommend getting the AppleCare extended warranty. I am impressed with the quick turnaround my son has gotten when he had a mainboard problem and again when he had dead pixels on his laptop. both were about a week round trip.

Umm can't Ipods be used on a PC also?

the stiching programs you speak of? are they supplied by your sewing machine manufacturer? That may answer your question right there. To qouote a haggered phrase...: What's available?

Even Apple's student discount program (a pretty good discount at that) keeps a mac at a high price relative to similiar PCs in my experience. Better get a quote from your friend, it seems Apple keeps their prices pretty locked, like Maytag appliances. grrr. I enjoy haggeling, and find that impossible to do with Apple or with Maytag for that matter.

~HAP

• 2 weeks later...