GreaseSpot Cafe

Same sex marriage-Massachusetts

J0nny Ling0

"Main Entry: [3]troll

Function: noun

Etymology: Norwegian troll & Danish trold, from Old Norse troll giant, demon; probably akin to Middle High German trolle lout

Date: 1616

: a dwarf or giant in Scandinavian folklore inhabiting caves or hills"

Just thought I would look that word up - WGB - this is what you are.

icon_wink.gif;)-->

Thats my story and I am sticking to it.

Long Gone:

quote:
Nope. They're confident in the Constitution. They're not confident in a relative few judges, some of whom have not only invented "constitutional" rights that aren't there, but have also presumed to redefine marriage, contrary to all precedent.

Just because you disagree with the judges does not mean that their considerations are wrong. I have disagreed with Supreme Court decisions also but they do try very hard to use the power that is given to them very carefully indeed in addressing the cases that come before them. The process of choosing them is all political – proposed by the incumbent president – and interrogated by congress. Once invested, they are not required to follow a party line to attempt to follow purely judicial principles. They “invent” nothing – they have to deal with the constitution as it is written, not as some people would write it. Many decisions have been “contrary to all precedent” – the Dredd Scott case for example set a precedent about slavery – do you think that should still be followed just because it set a precedent?

quote:
Diabolical? The "religious reich?" Who is being hateful and bigoted?

I think that Garth did a good explanation on that one. Maybe sometimes language can be heated but when you see some of the language that is used against gays by some you should hopefully understand.

quote:
Whether or not an amendment passes, attempting to amend the constitution is a right and the processes by which the constitution may be amended are clearly spelled out in the constitution. It's pretty damn hypocritical to condemn people for exercising a clear, incontrovertible, constitutionally provided right, while claiming to be seeking a "right" that has never existed in any State or the USA, from the earliest of colonial times forward. It's also hypocritical to condemn as bigots people who disagree that gay "marriage" is a right, when that "right" does not exist in your country either. Damn British bigots! (Previous three words not serious.)

Understandings of rights evolve, they are not fixed by one moment in time. I do not condemn people as bigots simply for disagreeing but for their arguments and their language. We have no written constitution nor bill or rights over here except those granted by the monarch through act of parliament and yet we seem to have a better understanding of rights sometimes than those have something in more tangible form. Of course there is a proposed European Constitution which will, when established have precedence over domestic law and some countries in Europe do have gay marriage already.

quote:
More of the same. This is an effort to constitutionally protect the definition of marriage to be the same as it has always been in the USA, from the earliest colonial times and even in the British law from which the definition derived before that. AND, Trefor, the definition they seek to write into the constitution is the same definition that your country uses.

Our country has an "understanding", not a definition. However it is at least prepared to make a legal allowance for gay relationships that your proposed amendment does not. Effectively it will be marriage in all but name and will give full legal protections and recognition.

quote:
Cronkite is a liar! They're not seeking to criminalize individual behavior. They're not seeking to dictate anything to churches. If the amendment passes, churches can still perform same-sex marriages all they want, just as they can now. Those church marriages will not be recognized as civil marriages, just as they are not now, and have never been. (AND, BTW, Trefor, as they are not now and have never been in your country, either.)

No church has to recognise a civil marriage religiously. But then again the state does not have to recognise a religious marriage without the civil element. In most countries in Europe two ceremonies are actually required – the civil one first legitimises the marriage in the eyes of the state and that is the only one which does. Grace Kelly was married to Prince Rainier in a civil marriage the day before the big “show” that was the religious one. Here we are civilised enough to allow one ceremony providing a legitimate registrar is present to witness and register the marriage. The Church of England clergy act as civil registrars for example for church marriages. Divorce is always a civil matter. If Roman Catholics divorce that does not mean that they are free to marry again in the eyes of their church who may refuse remarriage and also the sacraments to those who remarry, even civilly, without going through the church’s own annulment process.

They only decided against "marriage" because they felt the time was not yet quite right to use the term but the civil arrangements are akin to marriage in all but name. They could be converted to marriages without the need for another ceremony. There is a reactionary element in our unelected House of Lords wgho fight tooth and nail against any improvement in matters like this.

zixar:

quote:
I thought the piece on the amendments was amusing--the author claims none were discriminatory, but the 26th Amendment CLEARLY and BLATANTLY DISCRIMINATES against all civic-minded, rational seventeen-year olds, and cruelly denies them the sovereign franchise. Fascist bastards! "Oh, sure, we can go out and kill ourselves in automobiles, but we can't vote to raise the speed limit? Bloody ageist goosesteppers!"

But the amendment still EXTENDED rights by making the franchise available to those who had previously been denied it. It was progress and not regress. In this country we are already seeing the consideration of voting being extended to 16 year olds, less discrimination again. As has been pointed out, only Prohibition has actually denied rights and that was repealed. It’s a poor example as discrimination that you cite.

quote:
Let's have a leek for Trefor! Up the Welsh!

Hmm, I could get Freudian but I will avoid the temptation! icon_wink.gif;)-->

quote:
Let's say a hypothetical British subject emigrates to the US, but he prefers to drive on the left side of the road. Why should he be penalized? It's how he's driven all his adult life! Why should he be forced to do something that feels unnatural to him? Does the Constitution guarantee him a set of left-side roads? Of course not. The existing roads are adequate for what they're designed to do. If someone doesn't like the way they're laid out, he can either learn to drive on the right, hire a driver, or abstain from road travel altogether.

Another poor example and yet another blatant example of where you Americans get it things SO wrong! icon_biggrin.gif:D--> It is a uniform custom in the country and is to prevent accidents. It is nothing to do with sexuality, race, age, or religion or gender. Adjustment to that custom is possible just as you guys have to adjust to the correct way of doing things when you drive over here.

chwester:

Your understanding of Sodom is so easily demolishable as your understanding of judgement. For you God is a God of hate who throws childish hissy fits when he does not get his own way. Like Garth, if I believed in your God, I too would have to be an atheist.

dmiller:

Well I do know some X-rated Welsh but that wasn’t some of it! icon_redface.gif:o-->

mr p-Mosh

Cac is the same in Welsh so I can translate that much! Ceud Mile F?te!

Jonny:

It was only because it removed the hurt from the word and was turned into a word of affirmation. Not everyone likes it although it doesn’t bother me - it’s not a word I would chose to describe myself though.

quote:
Yeah, but that is meant for regular people not gays!

You saying gays are constipated? icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

mj:

The people are the people, all the people not just the majority of the people. Majorities can be tyrannical and persecuting as history has shown over and over again.

Trefor Heywood

"Cymru Am Byth!"

A list of 12 Reasons Why Gay People Should Not Be Allowed to Get Married, emailed to me by an e-pal:

>1. Homosexuality is not natural, much like eyeglasses, polyester, and

>birth control.

>2. Heterosexual marriages are valid becasue they produce children.

>Infertile couples and old people can't legally get married because the

>world needs more children.

>3. Obviously, gay parents will raise gay children, since straight

>parents raise only straight children.

>4. Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage is

>allowed, since Britney Spears' 55-hour just-for-fun marriage was

>meaningful.

>5. Heterosexual marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed

>at all; women are property, blacks can't marry whites, and divorce is

>illegal.

>6. Gay marriage should be decided by people, not the courts, because

>the majority-elected legislatures, not courts, have historically

>protected the rights of the minorities.

>7. Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours,

>the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That's

>why we have only one religion in America.

>8. Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that

>hanging around tall people will make you tall.

>9. Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy

>behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has

>legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.

>10. Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model

>at home. That's why single parents are forbidden to raise children.

>11. Gay marriage will change the foundation of society. Heterosexual

>marriage has been around for a long time, and we could never adapt to

>new social norms because we haven't adapted to things like cars or

>longer lifespans.

>12. Civil unions, providing most of the same benefits as marriage with

>a different name are better, because a "separate but equal" institution

>is always constitutional. Separate schools for African-Americans worked

>just as well as separate marriages for gays and lesbians will.

By George, I think Dubya finally has some solid ammo to get his amendment through with, doncha think?

icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

My own secret sign-off ====v,

Rational logic cannot have blind faith as one of its foundations.

Prophet Emeritus of THE,

and Wandering CyberUU Hippie,

Garth P.

www.gapstudioweb.com

Oh, how clever! But it is only five senses logic...

And yeah, I was talkin to you and I guess Garth and anyone else who thinks that's cute and "right on"...

"Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord"

Which includes adherence to His statutes, which a governmental stamp of approval on gay marriages is not. And, we are not going to agree on this one and that is the very bottom line...Sorry

Yeah yeah, I know. I am a narrow minded homophobe bigot I guess...

Edited by Guest

Garth's list calls to mind something that I and others have requested, but no one has yet offered.

Can anyone straightforwardly state what changes you think should be adopted regarding homosexual partnerships, and offer a reasonable argument to support your position?

I'm not asking for a repeat of the "equal rights" mantra. Homosexuals currently have exactly the same marriage rights as heterosexuals. I'm not asking for complaints about religion. They're irrelevant. Civil marriage is not a religious institution.

Marriage exists as a civil institution because society views it as a preferred state, worthy of special legal status because of its benefit to society. Same-sex domestic relationships, whether formalized by a ceremony or not, are already legal. They simply aren't recognized by the state as civil marriages. If you think they should be, then offer some reasons, particularly benefits to society.

Along with reasons you may offer to support your position, you will need to consider possible consequences. If same-sex marriages are to be adopted, should that include brother-brother or father-son marriages. If not, why not. If so, should brother-sister, mother-son, or father-daughter marriages also be adopted? Again, if not, why not.

So far, not one person advocating same-sex marriage has covered any of this.

Edited by Guest

quote:
But it is only five senses logic...

Oooooo, cool imitation of Smikeol, guy. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Now all we need to do is master Smikeol's preciousssss, PFAL, then we'll have it made in the shade! icon_cool.gif

Prophet Emeritus of THE,

Garth P.

www.gapstudioweb.com

Long Gone,

Uhhh, yes it has been covered. I believe the phrase 'equal protection under the law' (in relation to marital laws in this case) was used at least twice on my account.

And how many laws and legal setups that involve equal protection under the law are set up with the particular purpose of its benefit to society, outside of the obvious benefit of, why looky, here's that phrase again, 'equal protection under the law'?

And since your usual brother-sister, mother-son, father-daughter, brother-brother, father-son relationships aren't involving marriages, that is more or less a moot point. And for those particular relationships that do involve intimate relations, biological and familial reasons that have clearly shown how destructive those kinds of relationships are have been known for many years.

And since I know where you're going with this, may I point out that the same kind of destructive results have failed to be clearly shown in gay relationships. (And no, you may not use the AIDS argument, as that has never been shown to be directly, or indirectly even, a result of homosexuality. Sorry!) The same kind of vis-a-vis comparison fails with the multiple-wives and -husbands relationships to the gays as well. Of course, there are those who would try to show that because they had polygamy in the Bible, that that should be legalized also. But I'll leave that dollar for another day.

Evidently since homosexuality has been amongst us for thousands of years, AND since more and more scientific data is illustrating that homosexuality is more than just a 'flash in the pan', 'Hey! I think that I'll just turn gay today!', 'this is just one of them thar special rights kind of relationships' arrangements, but is showing to be a real and naturally based kind of relationship that is part of the human species, frankly folks, we are going to have to accept that inevitable conclusion and have the law do likewise.

I mean, look at all the slave owners/racial bigots who had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 19th/20th centuries in realizing that blacks weren't biologically 3/5ths of a person, but are full human beings. ... under the law!

Does this help answer your question? icon_cool.gif

Prophet Emeritus of THE,

Garth P.

www.gapstudioweb.com

Jonny:

quote:
"Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord"

Which includes adherence to His statutes, which a governmental stamp of approval on gay marriages is not. And, we are not going to agree on this one and that is the very bottom line...Sorry

His “statutes” as you call them are largely a matter of interpretation. I don’t see adherence to what some see as his “statutes” on divorce or on killing, or on how some people treat each other. People can be very selective as to what they agree or disagree with God about.

Long Gone:

quote:
Marriage exists as a civil institution because society views it as a preferred state, worthy of special legal status because of its benefit to society. Same-sex domestic relationships, whether formalized by a ceremony or not, are already legal. They simply aren't recognized by the state as civil marriages. If you think they should be, then offer some reasons, particularly benefits to society.

The rehash of the same old illogical argument regarding the right to marry the opposite sex. It does not address the question in hand about the right to marry the same sex. When it comes to prohibitions, the onus should be on those who support the prohibition to clearly demonstrate WHY it should be prohibited, after all in a court a person is presumed innocent until proven guilty. Arguments on the basis of tradition or reproduction have already been demonstrated to be flawed. Garth has pointed out that equal protection is not a matter of something have to justify itself to others. It should be the automatic default when there are no good valid solid and obvious reasons why it should be otherwise.

quote:
Along with reasons you may offer to support your position, you will need to consider possible consequences. If same-sex marriages are to be adopted, should that include brother-brother or father-son marriages. If not, why not. If so, should brother-sister, mother-son, or father-daughter marriages also be adopted? Again, if not, why not.

Such marriages by western standards, would be no more acceptable than brother-sister or father-daughter marriages. In other societies these have been a traditional practice despite the genetic problems created by inbreeding. Obviously in a same sex situation there would be no danger of this but I cannot foresee many situations where such people would wish to take this up to any major degree. If you were to rule that same sex marriage could only be allowed if the provision was equally applied to such examples I would make no objection for the sake of the vast majority of unrelated people who would benefit. It is not something, I hasten to add, that I would be into myself.

I suspect, however, that similar kinship exclusions would be applied as they are to heterosexual marriage.

Trefor Heywood

"Cymru Am Byth!"

A quote from Dan Savage in Village Voice

quote:
That's easy: loving a person. Baby-producin' straight couples are important, DAD, and nothing about allowing gay people to get married takes anything away from married, heterosexual baby producers. And no one is suggesting that all people enter into gay marriages, ya dope. Even if all the gay people on earth got married tomorrow—and it bears keeping in mind that not all gay people want to get married, could find someone to marry, or would be willing to leave the priesthood in order to marry—there would still be plenty of heteros out there populating the hell out of the place.

But marriage, as currently practiced by heterosexuals, is not about making babies. A modern marriage is whatever two straight people want it to be. It can last a lifetime, it can last an afternoon. It can be sexually exclusive, it can be open. It can be sacred (church, family, priest), or it can be profane (Vegas, strangers, Elvis). The wife can "joyfully submit" to the husband, as Southern Baptist women are encouraged to do, or the husband and wife can be equals. (Or, as in the case of my friends Zac and Megan, the husband can joyfully submit to the wife.) And they can make little smooshes of themselves, or they can be childless. What makes them married—in their own eyes, and in the eyes of the state—is their love and commitment to each other.

Older straight people get married, as do infertile straight people—even straight people who are in prison for life can marry. Why should loving, committed gay couples be held to a different standard on marriage? Why does fertility only matter when it comes time to deny gay people the right to marry?

Trefor Heywood

"Cymru Am Byth!"

quote:
The Onion (satire), February 25, 2004

Madison, WI

(E-Mail: editorial@theonion.com )

( http://www.theonion.com )

Massachusetts Supreme Court Orders All Citizens To Gay

Marry

BOSTON - Justices of the Massachusetts Supreme

Judicial Court ruled 5-2 Monday in favor of full,

equal, and mandatory gay marriages for all citizens.

The order nullifies all pre-existing heterosexual

marriages and lays the groundwork for the 2.4 million

compulsory same-sex marriages that will take place in

the state by May 15.

"As we are all aware, it's simply not possible for gay

marriage and heterosexual marriage to co-exist,"

Massachusetts Chief Justice Margaret H. Marshall said.

"Our ruling in November was just the first step

toward creating an all-gay Massachusetts."

Marshall added: "Since the allowance of gay marriage

undermines heterosexual unions, we decided to work a

few steps ahead and strike down opposite-sex unions

altogether."

Marshall said the court's action will put a swift end

to the mounting debate.

"Instead of spending months or even years volleying

this thing back and forth, we thought we might as well

just cut to the eventual outcome of our decision to

allow gay marriages," Marshall said. "Clearly, this

is where this all was headed anyway."

The justices then congratulated the state's 4.8

million marriage-age residents on their legally

mandated engagements.

The court issued the surprise order in response to a

query from the Massachusetts Senate over whether

Vermont-style civil unions, which convey the

state-sanctioned benefits of marriage but not the

title, are constitutional.

"If the history of our nation has demonstrated

anything, it's that separate is never equal," Marshall

said. "Therefore, any measure short of dismantling

conventional matrimony and mandating the immediate

homosexual marriage of all residents of Massachusetts

would dishonor same-sex unions. I'm confident that

this measure will be seen by all right-thinking people

as the only solution to our state's, and indeed

America's, ongoing marriage controversy."

Marshall then announced her engagement to Holyoke

kindergarten teacher Betsy Peterson, a pairing that

had been randomly generated by computers in the census

office earlier that day.

Those who don't choose to marry in private will be

married in concurrent mass ceremonies at Fenway Park,

Gillette Stadium, and the Boston Convention and

Exposition Center. Any citizen who is not gay-married

or is still in an illegal heterosexual relationship

after that date will be arrested and tried for

non-support.

Hundreds of confused but vocal protesters lined the

street outside the statehouse Monday night, waving

both American and rainbow flags. Their chants, which

broke out in pockets up and down the street, included,

"Hey hey, ho ho, homophobia's got to go, but frankly,

this is f**ked up" and "Adam and Eve or Adam and

Steve, but not Adam and Some Random Guy." Others held

signs that read, "On Second Thought, Boston Christians

Are Willing To Consider A Compromise."

According to police reports, demonstrators were vocal

but orderly.

"The unholy union of people of the same gender

destroys the only type of romantic love sanctioned by

Our Lord in Heaven: the love between a man and a

woman," 54-year-old protester Rose Shoults said. "Me

and my new partner Helene are going to fry in hell."

The much-anticipated order sets the stage for

Massachusetts' upcoming constitutional convention,

where the state legislature will consider an amendment

to legally define marriage as a union between two

members of the same gender. Without the order, Rep.

Michael Festa said the vote, and his personally

dreaded wedding to House Speaker and longtime

political opponent Thomas Finneran, would be delayed.

"This is a victory, not only for our state, but for

America," Festa said. "Simply allowing consenting gay

adults the same rights as heterosexuals was never the

point. By forcing everyone in the state into a gay

marriage, we're setting the stage for our more

pressing hidden agendas: mandatory sodomy and, in due

time, the legalization of bestiality and pedophilia."

Massachusetts has one of the highest concentrations of

gay households in the country, at 1.3 percent,

according to the 2000 census. Under the new laws, the

figure is expected to increase by approximately 98.7

percentage points.

Trefor Heywood

"Cymru Am Byth!"

quote:

The Cape Cod Times

Generations split on gay marriage

By CONOR BERRY

STAFF WRITER

For some, the issue of gay marriage is a no-brainer: The right to

marry is a fundamental right that should be available to every

American, regardless of race, religion or sexual orientation.

For others, marriage is a sacred institution intrinsically linked to

the propagation of life itself, and would be eroded if people of the

same gender are permitted to wed.

While those philosophical differences seem very clear cut, a

person's stance on the issue can often be linked to how old they are.

In general, younger respondents to a poll by the Cape Cod Times and

WCAI/WNAN, the Cape and islands National Public Radio stations, were

more likely to embrace same-sex marriage than older residents of the

Cape and islands.

"As long as it's not hurting me personally, I don't have a problem

with it at all," said Matt Broughton, a 23-year-old carpenter from

Sandwich.

Broughton's colleagues, Greg Clancy, 24, of Mashpee, and Mike

Taylor, 21, of Hyannis, also said they had no problem with gay

marriage.

For twenty-somethings growing up in a society that's arguably more

open and accepting of minorities than ever before - whether the

minority status is based on one's race or sexual orientation - the

issue does not trigger the same emotional response as it does for

people over 60.

According to the poll, nearly 69 percent of respondents between the

ages of 18 and 25 support gay marriage, while 62.3 percent of

residents age 61 and over are opposed to gay marriage. Meanwhile, 58

percent of so-called baby boomers who responded to the poll - those

between the ages of roughly 40 and 58 - support gay marriage.

"I think the younger the people, the more they're going to accept

it," Clancy said.

"Ultimate commitment"

Clancy, the owner of Greg Clancy Professional Builders in East

Falmouth, shared an after-work drink Friday with Broughton and

Taylor, his employees, at the British Brewing Company in Falmouth

Heights.

Clancy has a 21-year-old sister who is gay, he said, and he

wholeheartedly supports her right to marry someone of the same

gender.

Asked if he would still support gay marriage if his sister were not

a lesbian, Clancy responded, "I think I would. I think I really

would."

"It's fine with me," too, added Taylor, who also has a gay relative.

Among older residents, there's more of a split.

"Personally, I love marriage, because I think it's the ultimate

commitment," said Khristine Hopkins, 53, of Provincetown. But

Hopkins, who is straight, does not feel the institution of marriage

will be weakened if same-sex marriages go forward this spring in

Provincetown and elsewhere around the state.

"I hope gays and lesbians will have that same right," said Hopkins,

a member of the Outer Cape Peace & Justice Circle, which holds a

vigil for peace every Saturday in front of Provincetown Town Hall.

"I hope that gay marriage goes through," she said, holding a rainbow

flag imprinted with the word "Pace" - Italian for peace - outside

town hall Saturday.

Andrea J. Keohane, 59, said she is firmly against gay marriage, but

does not favor a constitutional amendment banning it. On that

matter, the East Falmouth woman is in line with most Cape and island

residents. But her opposition to gay marriage suggests that she is

out of step with fellow boomers.

Judicial activism

Keohane, in an interview Thursday, initially said civil unions

didn't bother her. However, immediately after that statement she

noted her preference is to leave well enough alone. "I'd just assume

not have anything" that would tamper with the institution of

marriage, she said.

"Everything is moving on emotion," Keohane said, referring to the

contentious debate on Beacon Hill, which is expected to heat up

again next week.

Keohane said the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court, which ruled

in November that preventing gays from marrying was illegal under the

state's constitution, engaged in judicial activism when it made a

decision that should have been left for commonwealth residents to

decide.

"This is an issue that just should be given to the people," she said.

Although gay people are "entitled to their civil rights," said Chris

Zimmer, 59, of North Eastham, "you can't call it marriage."

(Published: March 1, 2004

Trefor Heywood

"Cymru Am Byth!"

Another interesting viewpoint which I post without comment:

quote:
The Times, UK 28/02/04

The reason of things

A.C. Grayling: Why gay marriage is rooted in history

San Francisco’s recent spate of gay marriages has initiated a

predictable chain of events: America’s moral traditionalists have a hold

on the political party running Washington, and they have used it to

prompt this week’s move by President Bush to seek an amendment to the

Constitution entrenching heterosexual, monogamous marriage, which he

describes hyperbolically as civilisation’s most fundamental institution.

The source of confusion in America’s matrimonial debate is the

conflation of two separate meanings of the word “marriage”.

The confusions are deepened by the usual lack of historical and cultural

knowledge about the variety in humanity’s domestic arrangements, even in

the Western Judaeo-Christian tradition which moralists assume to be

carved in stone, and which are not.

In its primary sense, marriage denotes a long-term, committed

relationship between people who pool their resources and endeavours and

share the consequences, good and bad. The arrangement turns on divisions

of labour, and because children in most parts of the world and history

are economic assets, it has centrally involved producing as many as

possible.

Again in most parts of the world and history, marriage has been based on

utility, dynasty and tribal or property considerations, and rarely on

the untrustworthy basis of youthful emotions or passing fancies. And yet

again, very few societies have restricted marriage to monogamy; there is

at least one where women take multiple husbands.

In this great sociological and historical bulk of marriage the central

point has always been on the commitment of people (two or more) to live

together with a view to sharing life’s labours and raising the next

generation. This is marriage in the true sense, and it is focally about

the nature of a relationship. In most societies such relationships

receive social recognition and support, and are regulated by ceremony

and tradition.

The other sense of marriage is a three-way legal contract between two

people and the State, giving the State a right to intervene in the

relationship when it goes wrong, and to dispose of the joint obligations

and property of the other two parties. Marriage as a legal institution

has its present form in Western countries as a result of medieval

concerns over property and inheritance rights. Its main point was

control of women: female chastity and severe penalties for its absence

ensured that men could be reasonably confident about leaving their

property to their own offspring. (Only the wealthy, therefore, used to

marry contractually.) In England the way this legal institution is put

into effect has been regulated into a single form only since the 18th

century when more people had more property. Prior to that there were

many ways to get married in the first sense, including that which held

sway in the early Christian church: by living together.

Everyone accepts that the mutual benefits of living in a committed

relationship are great, and that human happiness is best served by doing

so. Whenever and wherever they occur, they are a cause of celebration.

Or rather: except where narrow, ignorant and ungenerous views of what is

acceptable in human relationships excludes all but monogamous

heterosexuals from the great good that mutual affections and shared

lives offer.

San Francisco’s gay couples flocked to get married in the second sense

of the term (they were already married in the first sense) when the

opportunity came because they were hungry for the social recognition

which the second sense represents. But this, of course, is what moral

conservatives explicitly wish to deny them. To their chagrin, moral

conservatives cannot prevent people loving each other, living together,

helping and comforting each other; but they can withhold the blessing

and support of the community for doing it.

Moral conservatives say that non-heterosexual relationships are

unnatural because they are not focused on producing children. Thanks to

science, it is no longer true that same-sex couples cannot have children.

What children need is love and nurture, not limitations on who is

allowed to provide it; heterosexuality is not a necessity for parenthood.

Moreover, if having children is the centrepiece of marriage, polygamy is

the logical choice. Perhaps this is the amendment Mr Bush should really

be introducing.

Trefor Heywood

"Cymru Am Byth!"

quote:
Governor Says Law Permitting Gay Marriage Would Be 'Fine'

Schwarzenegger also tells 'Tonight Show' host that he opposes Bush's proposed amendment.

By Joe Mathews, Peter Nicholas and Nancy Vogel, Times Staff Writers

Los Angeles Times

March 2, 2004

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said on national television Monday night that it would be "fine with me" if state law were changed to permit same-sex marriages.

In an interview with Jay Leno on NBC's "The Tonight Show With Jay Leno," Schwarzenegger also strongly rejected President Bush's call for a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage. "I think those issues should be left to the state, so I have no use for a constitutional amendment or change in that at all," he said.

The governor reiterated his opposition to the decision by San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom to grant marriage licenses to same-sex couples, saying city officials should abide by the state law.

But when Leno asked, "Would you have any problem if they changed the law?" the governor replied: "No, I don't have a problem. Let the court decide. Let the people decide."

After noting that voters had approved Proposition 22 in recent years to limit marriage to a man and a woman, Schwarzenegger indicated he was open at least to an initiative to legalize same-sex marriage.

"If the people change their minds and they want to overrule that, that's fine with me."

The author of Proposition 22, Sen. William "Pete" Knight (R-Palmdale) said he was surprised at Schwarzenegger's comments and disappointed by the governor's overall handling of the gay marriage issue.

If Schwarzenegger announced support for gay marriage legislation, it would pass, Knight added.

"If he says he'll sign it," said Knight, "it'll whistle through there."

Former Gov. Gray Davis, who has socialized with Schwarzenegger in recent weeks, made a surprise appearance on Monday's show, and the two exchanged a few quips.

The former movie star said he had been advising Davis about a possible acting career.

"He's helped me a lot with acting, particularly with my pronunciation," Davis said.-

Schwarzenegger's interview with Leno gave the first indication that the governor is not opposed to gay marriage at a moral level, and that if Californians wanted to change the law, he would not be an obstacle.

When asked, Schwarzenegger has spoken in favor of gay rights since his days as a bodybuilder in the 1970s. He has also expressed support for California's existing domestic partnership law. But as governor he had largely sidestepped questions about the fairness of barring same-sex couples from marrying.

His only previous statement, during a recall campaign interview with talk show host Sean Hannity, appeared to be a malapropism: "I think that gay marriage is something that should be between a man and a woman."

Asked last week if he had voted for Proposition 22 when it was on the ballot in 2000, the governor said: "I'll be honest with you. I can't remember."

In the past two weeks, Schwarzenegger has staked out the position that what is chiefly offensive to him about the marriages in San Francisco is the violation of law.

"He sees this primarily as a matter of the rule of law," his communications director, Rob Stutzman, said in an interview last week.

Asked Monday night about Schwarzenegger's statement on Leno, Stutzman said: "I think the governor's words speak for themselves."

The stance hews closely to the governor's position on most controversial issues. As the self-proclaimed "People's Governor," he has said he wants to follow the wishes of the public as expressed at the ballot box.

But his comments were a notable departure in tone for the governor. Over the past two weeks, Schwarzenegger has suggested that San Francisco's granting of licenses was a threat to "civil order." On Feb. 22, appearing on NBC's "Meet the Press," he said of the scene in San Francisco, "We see riots and we see protests and we see people clashing. The next thing we know is there are injured or dead people, and we don't want to have that." San Francisco authorities disputed that, saying there have been no riots connected to the issue.

On the same show, he added: "We cannot have, all of a sudden now, mayors go and hand out licenses for various different things. If it is — you know, in San Francisco, it's the license for marriage of same sex. Maybe the next thing is another city that hands out licenses for assault weapons. And someone else hands out licenses for selling drugs."

Assemblyman Mark Leno (D-San Francisco), who is no relation to Jay Leno, last month introduced a bill to legalize gay marriage in California. Schwarzenegger has not taken a position on the bill.

The assemblyman said he was pleased to hear that the governor opposed a constitutional amendment against gay marriage. But, he said, he saw Schwarzenegger's statements "let the court decide … let the people decide" as contradictory.

"Constitutional issues need to be reviewed and decided by courts and not left to majority opinion polls or cast ballots," said Leno. "Otherwise, few in this country would have any civil rights."

Knight, on the other hand, said he was disappointed in Schwarzenegger's inability to halt the marriages in San Francisco.

"He's not followed up in San Francisco," said Knight. "They're still issuing marriage licenses, they're still breaking the law."

Knight said that if the Legislature passed a bill to legalize gay marriage, he would sue, just as he has sued to try to block a new law sponsored by Assemblywoman Jackie Goldberg (D-Los Angeles) that next January will grant more rights and responsibilities to same-sex couples registered as domestic partners.

"Eventually the courts are going to have to take the issue and decide," he said. "Although I don't have much hope in California. The judges so far have not been willing to tackle the issue."

During the "Tonight Show" interview, Jay Leno made an extended speech about what he saw as growing support for gay marriage among the young. "With younger people, it seems to be gathering momentum," Leno said.

"That's good," Schwarzenegger said. "I think it's a good debate. It's a very interesting question, and I think the courts should make those decisions. But I think before that happens, we should obey the law."

Schwarzenegger has been one of the most frequent guests in the history of "The Tonight Show," and has used the venue to make major announcements about his career, including his entry into politics on Aug. 6 of last year.

But the governor did not appear to be attempting to make news on gay marriage. During the same interview, the governor joked he was fighting with his Hollywood agents because they wanted 10% of the state budget. Schwarzenegger seemed more intent on campaigning for two ballot measures to eliminate budget deficits — Propositions 57 and 58 — which appear on today's statewide ballot.

Schwarzenegger initially glared at Jay Leno when he raised the issue of gay marriage, but the ensuing discussion was lighthearted.

After Jay Leno introduced the subject by asking, "This gay marriage thing, what's your position on it, how do you deal with it?"

Schwarzenegger paused pregnantly and asked, "Are you trying to ask me something?"

"No, I'm not trying to ask you something," Leno replied.

"C'mon, admit it," the governor said. "All right, I admit," Leno said. "I'm in love with you."

Trefor Heywood

"Cymru Am Byth!"

Slight an Aside here....My own opinion here....just my personal preference...NOT TRYING TO CONVINCE ANYONE TO ADOPT MY OPINION.

You know, I REALLY DO NOT like this habit some of us here at Gspt have developed here to post these endless articles and "back stories" to support our own positions. It seemed to be an outgrowth of the S'qazi/Zixar/Rocky/Bunch of other people/ debates over in the political forums and now it has invaded the open forum.

I NEVER read them, I don't care about reading them, If I wanted to read them I could find them myself.....I HAVE A COMPUTER!!!

I prefer to read and consider the opinions and feelings of other posters....not the opinions and feelings of their current affairs gurus.

When and how did Gspot become a DEBATE SITE where the posters are required to document their positions? I thought we were able to just voice our opinions without being forced too bring in at least one other published source.

Oh well.....now I have that off my chest.

Carry on!!

Radar

Long gone.....

I am not advocating same sex marriage but I may have an answer for you. I think all 50 states have anti-incest laws that cover things like Mother/Daughter, Father/Son, Brother/Brother, Brother/Sister, Mother/Son, Father/Daughter. Actually, some states go as far as regulating the degrees to which cousins may marry. Traditionally, these types of decisions have been made on a state by state basis and are not an element of the US Constitution.

I am not sure...just a thought. I know that you, yourself will check this out and get back to me....I am thankful that YOU won't be posting an article in response icon_wink.gif;)-->

Radar

BUT.......I am not sure how that applies to StepFather/StepDaughter situations like Woody Allen and Soon Yi icon_eek.gif

Edited by Guest

Touche Radar....I never read those lengthy articles either...my eyes tend to icon_eek.gif, so I bypass them. In fact, after a few sentences if someone doesn't paragraph themselves, I skip over that too...

Well, I'm in Massachusetts...and I've been watching the TV and it seems this topic is spreading ...San Fransisco, New Paltz (where the heck is that?)...New Mexico...and this morning in the news I hear it is spreading to Rhode Island...it's an epidemic I tell ya icon_wink.gif;)-->

Zix:

Mr Card is a Mormon and his church has an interesting history regarding marriage and "flaunting the laws" itself.

His church only dropped polygamy for political purposes and self-preservation.

It was one of the most rabid opponents of civil rights and took a low view of coloured people for many years, denying them the Mormon priesthoods and temple ordinances.

It has also been one of the most rabid opponents of gay marriage and has continued to cling to outmoded viewpoints about homosexuality. His church even used to apply electric shock therapy, believing this could change a person's nature. His church's doctrines have split families up over the issue and led to suicides.

His church is led by elderly men in their seventies, eighties and even nineties - the very group who have the biggest problem with the issue. These men claim to speak for the Lord, that when they speak the thinking has already been done and do no take kindly to opposition of any kind - they excommunicated many Mormon intellectuals, including historians, who came up with some inconvenient facts about their church's history - including how they were once accepting of gays.

I correspond with gay Mormons and ex Mormons and am fully aware of what has gone on and what continues to go on. Prominent Mormons are also almost overwhelmingly Republican.

He talks about the ayatollahs - he should look to his own church headquarters.

Trefor Heywood

"Cymru Am Byth!"

Edited by Guest

Zix,

I am underwhelmed. Particularly at Orson Scott Card. All he has managed to do was to put together a well-written version of that old 'chicken little' saw about how homosexuality is going to mean the destruction of the family, reproductive maintainance needed to keep society and civilization going, and upending of our western civilization and our 'Moral Values', yada yada yada! Well, at least, in his opinion, the pie is Left (oops icon_biggrin.gif:D-->), so not all is lost.

Plus I didn't take Mr. Card for the religiously apocolyptic type. Here I was thinking that he was more or less Libertarian in his views.

And many (if not all) of those points have been addressed and counter addressed here as well. Perhaps you could forward to the illustrious Mr. Card the points we all made here, but I imagine that he has heard them all before, and perhaps better written too.

We're not gonna burn in hell and have Western Civilization descend into a post-nuclear 'Road Warrior' like world, really we're not, because the Mass. court ruled like it did.

Prophet Emeritus of THE,

Garth P.

www.gapstudioweb.com

Radar: They do tend to get a bit lengthy, I agree. Most should probably be linked using the "URL" button in the Instant UBBCode box instead of pasted verbatim. Still, while it isn't required to post supporting evidence, it does help, at times, to know where a particular piece of someone's position came from.

If you'll look back a couple of years, you'll find that this was going on long before the QQ/Rocky/Zix conflict occurred, so please don't be so quick as to lay this at our feet.

Want me to document that? icon_wink.gif;)-->

Trefor: Attacking a man because of his religious beliefs? Are all homosexuals such paragons of tolerance? icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

Garth: I notice that neither you nor Trefor actually refuted anything Card said. You built a nice straw man, but you haven't offered anything of substance for the contrary view.

Zix,

Read what I and Trefor wrote again. We *did* address the points raised by Mr. Card. Its just that we addressed them prior to your posting of his article.

And your slam of Trefor being bigoted against Mormons as a religion through Mr. Card is rather baseless. Trefor addressed actual facts about the Mormon Church in relation to this topic as well as their well-known reputation for taking a narrow view re opposing viewpoints. For further proof of this, just ask Grizzy.

That wasn't even a nice try on your part. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:--> So I take it you haven't had your morning coffee yet? icon_wink.gif;)-->

Prophet Emeritus of THE,

Garth P.

www.gapstudioweb.com