GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

I Never left the Yankees up for dead, we had that conversation back in May/June, and (I think) afew times since, unless the lead is 163 games Ive learned better.....at this point Id almost give the Red Sox up for dead though--they best snap to soon or I wont give them much hope to go to far. They have been playing slop and coast for much too long

Gagne blew his fifth game in little more than a month last night, bringing him in high contention for the worst trading deadline acquisition in RedSox history.

He may have done well to retire and protect his 'legacy' before he becomes remembered for something totally different.

I saw a good flick today on Bill"Spaceman" Lee

Spaceman-A Baseball Odyssey

who, although he was blackballed from MLB, never quit on baseball and is still pitching at 58.

Its a good mix of interesting ideas and genuine love of the game

Its available through Netflix..

Clay Buchholz the no hit kid gets his first start since his no-no tonight-hopefully he'll snap some life back into this somnambulent team

Gagne blew his fifth game in little more than a month last night, bringing him in high contention for the worst trading deadline acquisition in RedSox history.

He may have done well to retire and protect his 'legacy' before he becomes remembered for something totally different.

Well... from this side it's looking like it's going to be a very nice deal that young JD was able to pull off!

We're pretty much satisfied... especially looking to next year!

About the NYY/BoSox fan thing... I'm speaking only of the obnoxiousness/rudeness factor... not their character as a human being... just the way they appear at the ballpark and when you run into them in person... yes, they're proud of their team (although I wonder how many of them are bandwagoners) but they take it too far for my taste... like I said, as do many Cowboys fans...

...but then again, we have been to a lot of superbowls! :)

Well you are probably right-after being beaten to death for 86 years, and finally winning something, it can make some a little too exuberant.

...The down side ( well the other down side -there really is no upside) of the Gagne trade, Not only did they lose Kason Gabbard and David Murphy two very good prospects, but now I have serious doubts if he will be worth much of anything as far as draft picks if he does sign elsewhere as a free agent. I am not quite sure of the rules on how that exactly works but I cant see any team willingly relenquishing two picks the way he has been pitching.

I hope the Rangers develop them well....Gabbard wins 22, and Murphy hits 325 next year as an outfront reminder to the Front Office here of what not to do

Murphy's doing very well up this month... some very nice plays and a pretty good bat... I think many would like to see him have a strong September, a strong spring and a FT place in the outfield next year... Gabbard's been up and down and currently has an ERA over 7... but hasn't lasted too long in his last few starts so we'll see how that goes (he is a Lefty)...

One thing we've noticed down here is that the stRangers have an inverse record (to the better side) without Tex this year than with him...

(and notice that above, when talking about NYY and BoSox fans I did say "present company excepted")

Re: Gagne... there was talk down here that there was an "agreement" that we'd sign him back after this year... most around here are thinking "not so much"...

One thing we've noticed down here is that the stRangers have an inverse record (to the better side) without Tex this year than with him...

The same thing happened when you cut ARod loose as well.

Im not much for the 'studs and scrubs' approach to teams. ie a marquee name or two to fill some seats then too many positions filled with whoever as an afterthough--- It never works, or at least I cant remember it ever working.

I just now read where the RedSox are basically shut down, will rest a bunch of players and essentially coast in to October.

The division and home field apparently means nothing.

I dont like the sound of this at all-- if anything ever smelled like it could backfire this is it.

Edited by mstar1

That must have been ME who gave the Yankees up for dead. I've rarely seen a team play as bad as they did in the first half. I grudgingly have to admit that Arod kept them alive back then, and earned the mvp for real this time.

While nothing is settled yet, I'm starting to look ahead to the playoffs a little. I wish someone could explain the Angels to me, and how they can possibly have about the best record in baseball. Before the season , it was thought they would tank this year, after not getting another big bat. Their pitching, while solid, is not fear inducing-until you look at the results. They just always manage to win, and they consistantly destroy the Yankees. Could be another series in Anaheim this year.

I have no idea who to pick in the NL. I'd love to see the Phillies squeak into the playoffs and make a run. There's noone in the west or central that are sure things. Even the Brewers are still alive. There's something about a Milwaukee-Cleveland World Series that appeals to me-though not to the television execs, I'm sure.

I'm with you on the 'studs and scrubs' thing... but Tex was a little different (at least in the beginning)... he was home grown. He and Michael Young and Blalock all came up very close together, we were on a "plan" to grow a nucleus of good young talent and fill in a couple of pieces here and there... but Tex (because he was a Boras guy?) got the big head and let it be known that he didn't want to be here, would rather jump to a contender, etc. Young and Blalock OTOH were committed to seeing it through, especially Young... we appreciate what Tex did while here but it was his attitude of 'just biding his time until something better came along' that got to people, and really turned the hometown crowd against him in the end... and possibly the players.

I personally wouldnt mind seeing a Milwaukee-Cleveland series myself.

Im a little discouraged with the tack that the Red Sox are taking. They are pretty banged up, and I guess the theory is that they could go 0-9 and Detroit would have to go 7-2 to get in to October. So everybody is 'resting'. I know they have the 'bigger picture' in mind but the division, choice of series, and home field advantage are nothing to sneeze at, never mind what it looks like losing a 14 1/2 game lead.

Well...as Ive been saying all season there is still a ways to go yet....

on the bright side, I belong to another messageboard and just got what could be the best email I have gotten this year, maybe ever, out of the blue from a Red Sox fan in China of all places

Chong, the person who writes, does not know the protocol which has a game start about I there is from!

where I travel to the opposite side of all world and at 2004 [the VICTORY!!!]the love runs of devotion which Red Sox is biggest until now, this tonight of them see the fact that... !!! it will win. !!!!

Anyone it goes round and it does not subsist, all under being excited do to win the fact that we approach ~~~ VICTORY!!!! ~~~

I go out and until game time this game which will not change my outlook.

i am excited, quite. !

All regarding a tension our all beloved team and the cause of loss devastating. it forgets fact that this wears out during season and it sees it enjoys the game of one day at one game per time.

I fun of personalty, our competitor and the enemy of myself, the New York Yankee, think that it wears out from the contest of 162 game which is fierce!! ! this has an evil within and it's EXCITE!

To be like this you do and constent enjpyment you stay. Pleasure. This all sees and it is a company one baseball game.

Intelliect.

Rational

Calmness within.

RED SOX !!!!!

:eusa_clap:

Its like getting a letter from Yoda,

if baseball just brings me something like this once in awhile --It is all worth it

:)

It just might be enough to make me believe in this team again

Edited by mstar1

Intelliect.

Rational

Calmness within.

RED SOX !!!!!

hmmm... intellect? rational? calmness within?

if he acted like that 'over here' he would be deported from 'the nation'...

clearly... he loves his baseball and has not been tarnished by 'the nation' in person...

...methinks he would be sorely disappointed and commit... well... he would have to gouge his eyes out for the shame of his brethren... :biglaugh:

...but it is a nice email!

It definitely caught me off guard and made me smile. I needed a pick me up this AM. Yoda sent wave of happiness in sad morning to change bright!

calm reinstate!

The 'nation' takes alot of forms --its just the loud ones that get attention --Mr. Chong fits right in..

OH and just for you Mr. "Worlds Biggest Gabe Fan" Strange

I just read THISpiece of good news

"

Kapler to resume playing career

Boston, MA (Sports Network) - Gabe Kapler informed the Red Sox that he intends to resume his playing career in the 2008 season.

The 32-year-old outfielder spent this past season managing Boston's Single-A Greenville club in the South Atlantic League.

Kapler played in the major leagues from 1998-2006 with Detroit, Texas, Colorado, and Boston, hitting .264 with 64 homers and 302 RBI in 850 games.

"Managing was incredible for me this year," Kapler said. "I learned so much about baseball, about the young men I had an opportunity to lead, and about myself. Ultimately, the experience reawakened the competitor in me. I miss the battle. I still need to be on the field as a player. My body is as healthy as it has ever been, and I must take advantage of that. Managing was an important component of my development, and I am eternally grateful to the Red Sox for having provided me the opportunity to tackle a new challenge."

Edited by mstar1

There's something about a Milwaukee-Cleveland World Series that appeals to me-though not to the television execs, I'm sure.

I don't care who they play...though they first have to get by the Sox or the Yanks.

You know the Tribe is peaking at the right time when Joe Borowski pitches a 1-2-3 9th inning save.

I don't care who they play...though they first have to get by the Sox or the Yanks.

You know the Tribe is peaking at the right time when Joe Borowski pitches a 1-2-3 9th inning save.

And the Brewers (probably) will have to go through Arizona and perhaps San Diego to get there...

There'll only be one team I'll root for (can you guess which one?)... but I'm still having a hard time figuring them to be strong enough to bowl over every other NL team to get to the WS. But given the way the 2001 WS was won, I can't count this year's Dbacks out until the last out of the last game they play...

and those Mets I thought would be hard to get past...? they're not looking so strong these days either.

:offtopic: ( but baseball related)

Im on a lot of lists

I just got this from Curt Schillings ALS Foundation:

"Please click this link and watch the short video (about 4 minutes) about ALS and Augie's Quest for a cure. A donor is giving Augie's Quest (affiliated with the MDA) $1 for everyone who watches it! Please pass this link on to friends so we can raise as many dollars as possible for this important ALS research plan."

http://www.whatkindofworlddoyouwant.com/vi.../view/id/382360

Thanks

back to your regularly scheduled thred

yeah... you would've thunk it wouldn't you?

I checked and from 65-79, a 15 year span, he had more than 200 hits 10 of those years...

...but never 5 in a row. He didn't miss by much in those other years either- he was always within 25 hits of 200 even on the off years.

still pretty amazing stuff... PUT HIM IN THE HOF!

HEY! I just noticed that you have my sign-off in yours! (but your's is credited so maybe I should credit mine...)

Ichiro has done it (at least 200 hits) EVERY season he's been in the bigs (7)...
200 hits is an amazing feat ---to string together 5 years ..or 7 is remarkable....

Speaking of Barry...have you Voted?

Associated Press

Updated: September 17, 2007, 2:16 PM ET

SAN FRANCISCO -- The fate of Barry Bonds' record-breaking home-run ball is now in the public's hands after its buyer announced Monday he was taking votes on whether to give the ball to the Hall of Fame, brand it with an asterisk or blast it into space.

Fashion designer Marc Ecko revealed himself as Saturday's winning bidder in the online auction for the ball that Bonds hit last month to break Hank Aaron's all-time home-run record of 755. The final selling price for No. 756 was $752,467, well above most predictions.

Ecko had not even taken possession of the ball before posting a Web site that lets visitors vote on which of the three outcomes they think the ball most deserves. He said he plans to announce the final tally after voting ends Sept. 25.

Incidently, I voted to blast it into space.

(although I would just as soon see it run through a meatgrinder and put in a landfill)

LINK to ESPN story

Vote Here: VOTE 756 Website

Maybe I'll get around to changing my tag,

Edited by mstar1