GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

One thing I've figured out is that even some of the sports sites don't have it straight. I regularly check CBS Sportsline.com for baseball scores, standings and news... but THEY seem to be confused also! so, we should have a better idea tonight.

Are you sure of that?

This is from Rockys Link:

If the Mets /Phillies /Padres all have the same record after today. The way that I am reading it is that the NL East Div. will be decided by the above formula ( Similar to the 05 AL East Where the yankees were declared winners even though the Red Sox and Yanks had the same overall record).

Whoever is declared second in the Division, ( I didnt look up the head to head or the intradivision..)would then get a one game playoff with the Padres for the wildcard

I think thats how it works...either way there will be alot of heart palpitations around the NL cities today

...of course I could just turn on the TV and have them explain it to me, or wait until tomorrow and see what happens.

I think that it is really odd that the tiebreaker in the above quote gets into games in the second half of the season as being more valuable than games in the first half....that makes no sense to me

So much for the idea of a win in April being the same as a win in September

Well,of course I'm not sure...In 2005,the only tie,I believe was between the Bosox and Yanks---it wasn't a three way tie...Either way,'tho,it seems like no team is the odd man out without a one game playoff....

I demand to be right-Im an exwayfer!

(kidding)

I dont know, in one sense I dont care all that much, the Red Sox are in and will be playing the Angels in the longer series ( I forget if that is the "A" or "B" series) and thats all good enough for me for the time being.

I'll watch, be interested and see what happens in the NL, but I wont be feeling it quite the same as the fans in the two cities who will be elated or the unfortunate ones who after coming this () close , will be disappointedly ..waiting until next year....

Edited by mstar1

I will not allow you all to burst my bubble of hope until AFTER the Rockies/AZ game this afternoon, or at least till after the Padres/Brewers game (an hour earlier). If the Rockies win AND the Padres lose, the Rocks will get a spot in a wildcard playoff game.

(There are still possibilites for 2, 3, and 4 way ties, but that gets SOooooo difficult. Why can't these teams just win when they should have, months ago! 4-way: (Rockies, Phil and NY win, Padres lose)- Mets and Phillies play Monday, Loser plays in a 3 way wild card tie. Rockies get a bye while the Padres and the east loser play Tuesday. Rockies then travel to the winner's ballpark for a one game playoff for the NL wild-card spot) :wacko: :unsure:

It has been a very long time since the small ball team has gotten more interest than the funny shaped ball team in Denver on an autumn Sunday afternoon.

~HAP

Hap.you're right---at least a lot righter than I was a few posts up...I've been obssessing over these scenarios in-between football commercials and according to Yahoo Sports,in the event of a four-way tie,which is still possible,all teams still get to play more baseball and determine their own fate....

Congrats to Brett Favre!!

I will not allow you all to burst my bubble of hope until AFTER the Rockies/AZ game this afternoon, or at least till after the Padres/Brewers game (an hour earlier). If the Rockies win AND the Padres lose, the Rocks will get a spot in a wildcard playoff game.

(There are still possibilites for 2, 3, and 4 way ties, but that gets SOooooo difficult. Why can't these teams just win when they should have, months ago! 4-way: (Rockies, Phil and NY win, Padres lose)- Mets and Phillies play Monday, Loser plays in a 3 way wild card tie. Rockies get a bye while the Padres and the east loser play Tuesday. Rockies then travel to the winner's ballpark for a one game playoff for the NL wild-card spot) :wacko: :unsure:

It has been a very long time since the small ball team has gotten more interest than the funny shaped ball team in Denver on an autumn Sunday afternoon.

~HAP

Of course there's still plenty of drama left today... at present, the Mets are trailing the Marlins after giving up 7 in the first inning; Philly's ahead of Washington in a closer game; and the Padres, scoring 3 in the first, are leading the Brewers in the third.

Dbacks/Rockies game starts in about 20 minutes.

brewers have just taken the lead over padres, 6-4 in the fifth inning

and Jimenez for the Rockies has 9 K's thru 4 innings, but the score remains 0-0

Make that 9-4 Brewers... still not over...

Mets have lost and are DONE FOR THE SEASON!

Apparently, it is now official that the Cubs will be in Phoenix on Wednesday.

and 10Ks for Jimenez.

and finally a run for the rockies, 1-0 Colorado leading. Bring it on!

edit: make that 1-1 after 7

Even though the Rockies have a winning record over each of the teams in their division, they MUST win this game to play again this season. Signs at the ballpark say "Rock-tober"

And congratulations to the Brewers who won their last two games over the Padres even though they could have packed it in after their first loss in the series. It is hard to keep up the intensity with nothing to play for.

Rockies 4-1 with no out in the 8th.

Edited by HAPe4me

So Simon, Diamondbacks or Cubbies in their playoff series? where is your allegiance?

Rockies win 4-3, they play the Padres tomorrow at Denver's home field for a "Playin" to get the wild card spot

No question the Rockies are the hottest team going right now... so, Hap, you going to Coors Field tomorrow?

I hope the weather there will be as good tomorrow as it was today.

i'm just sick about the mets

I don't blame you... for most of the season, they looked like the team to beat in the NL... and it seems every other NL team decided to beat them! At least the Yanks still will be playin in October.

So, bottom line... THREE teams with 89 wins. Phils, Rockies, Padres.

Phils get the division and the other two playoff for WC...

Are any of us STILL confused? :)

No question the Rockies are the hottest team going right now... so, Hap, you going to Coors Field tomorrow?

I hope the weather there will be as good tomorrow as it was today.

Nah, I will be up late trying to punch holes in the padres bus tires. Besides I expect the tiks were gone in seconds fromthe time they went on sale. don't you know the weather is always beautiful here? It never snows here. We send it all to Phoenix.

~HAP

Hap,I gotta come clean...And to you too,excie...I cannot turn my back and ever root agin' the team that nursed me in baseball....The Cubs taught me that baseball wasn't all about winning (well, DUH),but just a wonderful,relaxed diversion from the stressful demands from every life...And as far as the Mets fans go,excie,well,1969 wasn't that long ago when the Cubs did their monumental collapse,and the um--snicker--Mets overtook them and won the World championship...And I'm not really vengeful or happy at all that the (tee-hee) Mets just completed a monumental collapse of their own,but trust me, their fans will get over it...Just look at how well adjusted I am after the Cubs swoon....I went out and joined a cult a couple years later....But in all reality,as Bill Clinton would say,"I feel your pain"....

Don't worry,Lifted,I'm glad yer Injuns are in it....I only teased you when they choked like a pig with a watermelon stuck in it's throat a couple of years ago after their incredible late season run against the Chisox...Besides Albert (or was it Joey) Belle,I always had a soft spot for Cleveland...

Maybe they did...but at least they made a late go of it. And they didnt start with a huge lead. If your watermelon-in-a-pigs-thraot analogy was the Indians that year, I can't wait to see how you describe the mets of this year.

And I still wounldnt bet my life savings (if I had any to bet) on the Tribe getting past the Yanks in the playoffs.

At least you finally showed up.

Flashback:

Today is October 1st, the 40th Anniversary of arguably THE most significant baseball day of my life and the most important day in Red Sox history

It was the day that the 100-1 shot, previously 9th place Red Sox--the then perennial losers-- clinched the pennant on the final day of the season in 1967.

Four decades have passed, but anyone who lived through that remarkable year still fiercely clings to its memory for what it brought - the Red Sox Nation of today is all a byproduct that can be traced to that one magical summer that culminated in that day , but even more so it let us know that at least for one time in our lives, the impossible was just not a dream.

SOX_1967_Cover-rgb(2).jpg

Jim Lonborg gets carried from the field on October 1st, 1967

Edited by mstar1

Maybe they did...but at least they made a late go of it. And they didnt start with a huge lead. If your watermelon-in-a-pigs-thraot analogy was the Indians that year, I can't wait to see how you describe the mets of this year.

And I still wounldnt bet my life savings (if I had any to bet) on the Tribe getting past the Yanks in the playoffs.

At least you finally showed up.

Hey,thanks for inquiring....I talked to my bro' on the phone tonight about the end of the baseball season,and when the subject of the Mets came up,we described them with a phrase he and I used as kids when referring to somebody who choked or missed a two-foot putt or got nervous and went into a freefall like the Mets did...Not trying to be offensive here,but we simply said 'their balls popped'....

:biglaugh:

i'm just sick about the mets

I suppose I feel bad for the mets fans as well, I have been on the recieving end of more than a few of those gut wrenching heart tearer outers.

It is horrible. It is absolutely horrible

Bucky Dent......Bill Buckner...........After the Aaron Boone HR in 03 I couldnt talk for what seemed a week It was a sickness and a disaster, and then in '04 after falling down 0-3 in the ALCS I even posted a gravestone for the Red Sox here at greasespot and vowed (momentarily) to give up baseball forever...but then..

well..things can change

even if it takes 40 or 86 or a 100 years.... things can change.

LETS GO CUBS!!

YOU"RE DUE!

:biglaugh:

Bucky Dent......Bill Buckner...........After the Aaron Boone HR in 03 I couldnt talk for what seemed a week It was a sickness and a disaster, and then in '04 after falling down 0-3 in the ALCS I even posted a gravestone for the Red Sox here at greasespot and vowed (momentarily) to give up baseball forever...but then..

well..things can change

even if it takes 40 or 86 or a 100 years.... things can change.

LETS GO CUBS!!

YOU"RE DUE!

I thought his name was Bucky "fu*king" Dent!? :blink:

Anyway, overall, this should be a good week... already, the baseball pundits are describing 2007 NL races as a new standard for pennant races to end the regular season. Even though there was plenty of confusion over the tiebreaker rules (and not just by US!), I think they might be correct.

I thought his name was Bucky "fu*king" Dent!?

Well it was. Im sure there are people who still call him that.

There was a lot of redemption that went around after The Win finally came in 2004.

A lot.

I was at that game in 1978, but 26 years later Bucky, at least to me, lost his middle name, and just became another guy with his own little footnote in history.

The sting is gone--its all erased and seems like distant memory...its interesting what winning one crucial game can do--even if you have to wait 26 years for it to happen

This says it for the Mets fans

mets.jpg

But at least they had a season of joy .... except for one game in second place.

And I quit watching the Rockies and Brewers 'cuz they said they the Rockies were out ... man ...

so one more game ... go Rockies ...

Simon, will you wear a Cubs shirt to the Arizona game if you go? We had a Quincy cubs farm team for the cubs when I was a kid, so I can get behind them, but it was always a 50/50 cubs cards fan loyalty split here ...

Would this be white sox, then cardinals, then cubs?

This says it for the Mets fans

mets.jpg

But at least they had a season of joy .... except for one game in second place.

And I quit watching the Rockies and Brewers 'cuz they said they the Rockies were out ... man ...

so one more game ... go Rockies ...

Simon, will you wear a Cubs shirt to the Arizona game if you go? We had a Quincy cubs farm team for the cubs when I was a kid, so I can get behind them, but it was always a 50/50 cubs cards fan loyalty split here ...

Would this be white sox, then cardinals, then cubs?

OH MAN... what a great pic and great coverpage!

btw, the Rockies/Brewers game is supposed to be on TBS if anyone wants to watch it.