GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Wow-He must be some amazing ballplayer.

I Hope to see him in the playoffs. If the snakes make it to the series, I'll be hoping his turn comes up in an American League park, Which brings up the question would your manager DH for a position player?

Well, THAT question hasn't come up before... so, I'd only be guessing... but IF such a situation presents itself, I would think it could be a 50-50 call. There are plenty of regular position players batting under .240 with Owings avg now somewhere around .330. BUT, in a playoff situation, you're not going to be facing a team like the Pirates. I'd figure Owings for some PH duty, but to keep his focus on his pitching, it may not be a sure thing to sit .... or catcher. Chris Young plays CF and bats around .230. However, he's hit 30 HR and when he gets on base, he's fast... so, I'm reluctant to get any more specific than that.

btw, Owings finishes his rookie season 8-8. That is very respectable and the kid's got a great deal of promise for a bright pitching career.

[btw, Owings finishes his rookie season 8-8. That is very respectable and the kid's got a great deal of promise for a bright pitching career.

Its been a great crop of rookies this year. I know the RedSox have 5 who have contributed a lot, especially Dustin Pedroia who imo should be Rookie of the Year, Hideki Okajima who was dominant as a set up man through most of the year, Clay Bucholz who threw a no hitter, and my current fav to watch Jacoby Ellsbury who is hitting around .370 since he was called up and runs like a deer on amphetamines.

Its good to know that the future of baseball is in good hands.

NL sure is exciting coming down to nailbiting time, these last few days will probably cause a few coronaries. It just looks-well sort of crazy over there--even the Rockies have exploded into it.

As far as the AL , 4 very strong and evenly matched teams, Yanks, Angels, Indians and RedSox ..who are all separted by 2 games.

This is shaping up to be a great October

FWIW, if any of you guys are ultra statheads, which I am not.... I just read THIS ARTICLE at Baseball Prospectus.

BP's "secret sauce' is a mixture of the three "ingredients" their studies linked to postseason success:

Equivalent K/9, Fielding Runs Above Average (how many runs above average a fielder saved), and Closer WXRL (pitcher Wins eXpected above Replacement Level for the closer).

BP by this method predicts a Red Sox/Cubs World Series, which would be fine with me and perhaps another sign the apocalypse is coming very near

I dont know who figures out these stats, they are obviously smart, but thankfully all the teams will still have to play all the games to get there

FWIW, if any of you guys are ultra statheads, which I am not.... I just read THIS ARTICLE at Baseball Prospectus.

BP's "secret sauce' is a mixture of the three "ingredients" their studies linked to postseason success:

Equivalent K/9, Fielding Runs Above Average (how many runs above average a fielder saved), and Closer WXRL (pitcher Wins eXpected above Replacement Level for the closer).

BP by this method predicts a Red Sox/Cubs World Series, which would be fine with me and perhaps another sign the apocalypse is coming very near

I dont know who figures out these stats, they are obviously smart, but thankfully all the teams will still have to play all the games to get there

A lot more detail on that baseball prospectus site than I can process...

HOWEVER, tonight some of the uncertainty has begun to fall away concerning NL playoff teams... and the ALeast.

It does appear that the BoSox win and the Yankers loss (to BALTIMORE) clinches the division for the Sox and the WCard for NY.

In the NL, the Dbacks snapped the Rockies winning streak, and in so doing, eliminated the Rockies from playoff contention AND clinched a playoff spot for themselves! To win the NLWest, they still need one more win OR a Padre loss. My preference would be a Dbacks win. Then WHO CARES what the danged Padres do.... however, it also appears that the Pads assisted the Cubs and perhaps the Brewers are out and Cubs (did they actually clinch the NL Central tonight?).

AND, it looks like the Mets continued their freefall from the rarified air on top of the NLeast... with the Phillies looking good to clinch that division... but that game assisted the Dbacks in clinching a playoff spot tonight.

Overall, I'm pleased with the results tonight. I'm sure more will become clear tomorrow.

making the BP prognostications possible.

Congrats Cubs...

RedSox also clinched the Division for the first time since 95 (when i was there) which is no small feat--finally dislodging the Yankees who have been there for 11 years.

I think that its going to be Yankees/Indians and Angels/RedSox

The next big thing is vying for home field and the series choice with The Sox and Indians tied at 95-65..

Even though the Mets have made an historic collapse, I have to hand it to the Phillies, they were down what about 7 games just a few weeks ago?

They look really good to me and are playing great under pressure --I think that they could be the real surprise team..

and ..a liuttle off topic but since I just happened to be reading this, I will pass it along...I dont know if any of you all are/were Tiger or Tiger Stadium Fans or memorabilia buffs but they are auctioning off parts of the old stadium...

HERE

They have seats , signs , the pitching rubber, dugout benches, all sorts of things that would be really cool to own. Even the scoreboard!

That the Yankees made the playoffs is quite an achievement. It does make it e asier to give congrats to the Bosox .

I'm glad to see Colorado gone. Though I am intrigued by what a World Series in Denver would look like. Everyone in heavy coats but Bud Selig , who's raving about how comfortable it is.

I'm enjoying the Phillies run. If the Sox win the AL, that's the team I'd like to see in the NL. The Nation has nothing on Phillie fan, and the clash of worlds would be 'epic'.

I may be one of the few who could care less about the Cubs. Nice ballpark, historically dull team.

That the Yankees made the playoffs is quite an achievement. It does make it e asier to give congrats to the Bosox .

I'm glad to see Colorado gone. Though I am intrigued by what a World Series in Denver would look like. Everyone in heavy coats but Bud Selig , who's raving about how comfortable it is.

I'm enjoying the Phillies run. If the Sox win the AL, that's the team I'd like to see in the NL. The Nation has nothing on Phillie fan, and the clash of worlds would be 'epic'.

I may be one of the few who could care less about the Cubs. Nice ballpark, historically dull team.

Obviously, Philly is not MY favorite for the WS... but their fans are TRULY FANatical. They have probably the best offense going into the NL playoffs (if they DO make it).

A few days ago, the Dbacks began promoting the sale, beginning tomorrow morning, of playoff tickets. I didn't like it that they were doing so before clinching. THAT concern is now moot. :eusa_clap:

I'm still not going to buy tickets for the first round... In 2001, I did attend one of the NLDS games against the Cards... and then game one of the WS. IF they make it to the WS, I might have to see about going... I know, my reluctance is already waning. Oh well. Ticket prices for the first round are only going to be about 5 bucks more than regular season games... but the WS tickets ANYwhere will probably be pretty expensive.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/29/sports/b...amp;oref=slogin

The New York Times is reporting today that Marc Ecko, the winner of the auction for Bonds' 756th HR is donating the ball to the HOF, AFTER branding the ball with an asterisk (*).

Even though I voted to send it into space --That will be an appropriate symbol of these baseball times to future generations...

Ticket prices for the first round are only going to be about 5 bucks more than regular season games... but the WS tickets ANYwhere will probably be pretty expensive.

I am on all the lists and lotteries around here. I'll keep my fingers crossed and see what happens. I am expecting that the worst Standing Room/Obstructed View would go for about $500 from the brokers/scalpers and good seats will be astronomical.

But...but...ITS THE PLAYOFFS!..these things dont happen everyday

I'll see...

If i can get something reasonable I'll go

First one to 11 wins!!

First one to 11 wins!!

And EVERY other team in the playoffs LOSES their last game of the season... and grieves, longing (I'm almost doing so now) for the 2008 season.

btw, what's up with most of the first round games being broadcast on TBS? They aren't in HD!?

and grieves, longing (I'm almost doing so now) for the 2008 season.

There is a LOT of excitiing baseball left--no time to lament the end of the season just yet.

You are right however , even with the elation of the series win, and the lift of the curse in '04, which were enough for me to believe that I could really fly, There was the unsettling and difficult realization the next day that there would be no more games until Spring.

It was like waking up and finding the love of your life had disappeared in the night leaving only the wonderful memories behind

I'll be at the last game at Dodger Stadium tomorrow. I'm already depressed. Last year the last game was festive, with the Dodgers going to the playoffs and Nomar hitting a grand slam in the ninth.

This year it's not quite as festive. Maybe I'll win one of their car giveaways. Yeah, maybe.

I'll be at the last game at Dodger Stadium tomorrow. I'm already depressed. Last year the last game was festive, with the Dodgers going to the playoffs and Nomar hitting a grand slam in the ninth.

This year it's not quite as festive. Maybe I'll win one of their car giveaways. Yeah, maybe.

Something to look forward to

Edited by mstar1

Dbacks had a bunch of giveaways last Sunday (last regular season home game)... but the Dodgers got the biggest prize... the game! :confused::biglaugh:

They didn't give away any cars, however... and needless to say :rolleyes: , I didn't win anything.

Right now, Padres and Brewers are TIED at 3 in the 11th inning!

Rocky- The Rockies were not actually eliminated last night with their loss to Arizona. They must win the last two against them, and get help from Padres losses I think.

So far tonight, the padres lost and the Rockies are ahead of AZ 11-1 in the 6th. Hope springs eternal

~HAP

the Mets and the Phils are now tied with one to play..This is going to get complicated if those two and the Padres finish with the exact same record.

Anyone know how that would be worked out?

Resolving Division ties

Rocky- The Rockies were not actually eliminated last night with their loss to Arizona. They must win the last two against them, and get help from Padres losses I think.

So far tonight, the padres lost and the Rockies are ahead of AZ 11-1 in the 6th. Hope springs eternal

~HAP

Yes, I found that out... I was also confused because the broadcast guys kept saying that the Dbacks clinched the division before they even started the game in Denver this evening.... then I found the link I used to answer Mstar's question...

If the rockies win tomorrow and SD loses, those two teams tie for WC spot... and I think they'd have to have a playoff. I think. :confused:

So, if the Dbacks lose tomorrow and SD wins... they finish with the same record, but AZ wins because they won more of the head to head games with SD.

Holy cripe....I need an interpreter for those rules...All right,so lets say the Rockies win tomorrow and the Phils,Pads and Mets all lose....Four teams with the same record...I understand the tie-breaker to determine who wins the division and who gets in as the wild card(between the Mets and Phillies),but what do they do about the three wild-card teams with the same record....I've never heard of baseball eliminating a team from the post season by virtue of the tie-breakers---there's always been a one game playoff....

Oops....I just checked the standings,and no way can there be a four-way tie after tomorrow...Only a three way tie...

Edited by simonzelotes

Oops....I just checked the standings,and no way can there be a four-way tie after tomorrow...Only a three way tie...

Exactly. Mets/Phils each have a chance at the NLeast, but NOT the WC.

And even if Dbacks, Padres and Rockies tie, Dbacks win the West.... but the rockies CANNOT tie the Dbacks...

So, only a two team tie possible IF SD loses and Rockies win... THEY then have to contend for the WC.

Don't worry, it'll all be over soon... so, us mathematically challenged "senior" citizens will no longer have to figure it out. :confused:

Okay, I know I was confused again.

If BOTH Mets and Phillies win tomorrow... then they both finish with 89 wins. One of them gets to be division winner and the other MIGHT tie SD and CO. good grief!

Ok,I think I got it figgered out...In the event of a three-way tie,such as with the Phils,Mets and Padres,the playoff would be to determine the NL East division winner...Since those tie-breaking games count in the standings as part of the regular season,(including personal stats like rbi's and homeruns,etc.) the loser of that one game-play-off would no longer be tied with the Pads---they'd have one more loss and therefore be behind San Diego by one-half game at season's end...

BTW,in modern days,that is the only way a team can miss the post season by 1/2 game in a full season...Sometimes rainouts are not made up at season's end,and a team will end up playing only 160 or 161 games...However rainouts are always made up if it affects the pennant race...The last time in recent memory that a team missed the post-season by 1/2 game (and I'm certain Mstar would remember the year) was when the Red Sox lost their division by a 1/2 game in a strike-shortened season...One of the teams that year missed one more game due to the strike,and I guess strike games are not made up even if it affects the pennant race...

Ok,I think I got it figgered out...In the event of a three-way tie,such as with the Phils,Mets and Padres,the playoff would be to determine the NL East division winner...Since those tie-breaking games count in the standings as part of the regular season,(including personal stats like rbi's and homeruns,etc.) the loser of that one game-play-off would no longer be tied with the Pads---they'd have one more loss and therefore be behind San Diego by one-half game at season's end...
Are you sure of that?

This is from Rockys Link:

The Club with the higher winning percentage in head-to-head competition between the two tied Clubs during the championship season; or

If the Clubs remain tied, then to the tied Club with the higher winning percentage in intradivision games during the championship season; or

If the Clubs remain tied, then to the tied Club with the higher winning percentage in the last half of intraleague games during the championship season; or

If the Clubs remain tied, then to the tied Club with the higher winning percentage in the last half plus one of intraleague games during the championship season, provided that such additional game was not a game between the two tied Clubs. This process will be followed game-by-game until the tie is broken.

If the Mets /Phillies /Padres all have the same record after today. The way that I am reading it is that the NL East Div. will be decided by the above formula ( Similar to the 05 AL East Where the yankees were declared winners even though the Red Sox and Yanks had the same overall record).

Whoever is declared second in the Division, ( I didnt look up the head to head or the intradivision..)would then get a one game playoff with the Padres for the wildcard

I think thats how it works...either way there will be alot of heart palpitations around the NL cities today

...of course I could just turn on the TV and have them explain it to me, or wait until tomorrow and see what happens.

I think that it is really odd that the tiebreaker in the above quote gets into games in the second half of the season as being more valuable than games in the first half....that makes no sense to me

So much for the idea of a win in April being the same as a win in September

Edited by mstar1