GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Correction: Dan Haren is NOT (yet) a Cy Young winner... though he might someday be...

I don't know all the nuances of the trade deadline, but the story I read said the Dodgers gave up a couple of minor leaguers in their organization...So, what's to keep a team from picking up a Barry Linsecome, or a Josh Hamilton, for that matter, if there's a week left in the season and the teams those guys play for are out of the playoffs?...

The waiver wire. Neither TIM Linsecom nor Josh Hamilton are likely to be offered up (which must be done first, if I understand correctly) but even if he was, it's likely he would be claimed by a lower standing team first... if for no other reason than to keep their opponent from getting him.

I could be wrong on this (well heck I probably am but play along)

I think the waiver wire trade deadline deadline absolutely final post mortem actually dead final final finish line for trading with other teams is August 31-

THEN a whole 'nuther thing happens---on September 1st the roster is expanded from 25 to 40 players, and players can be brought up from AAA or AA--thats a whole other can of worms that I dont know exactly how it works --whether players already have to be on the 40 man roster, if that 40 man roser can be jostled and moved around or if minor league deals can be made to get someone onto it...so they'll be at least one or two phenoms youve never heard of making a dent in September

I could be wrong on this (well heck I probably am but play along)

I think the waiver wire trade deadline deadline absolutely final post mortem actually dead final final finish line for trading with other teams is August 31-

THEN a whole 'nuther thing happens---on September 1st the roster is expanded from 25 to 40 players, and players can be brought up from AAA or AA--thats a whole other can of worms that I dont know exactly how it works --whether players already have to be on the 40 man roster, if that 40 man roser can be jostled and moved around or if minor league deals can be made to get someone onto it...so they'll be at least one or two phenoms youve never heard of making a dent in September

But those guys can't play in the playoffs???

Thats the tricky part that Im not clear on---Jacoby Ellsbury somehow made it on to the 25 man roster for the playoffs last year for the Red Sox and had a huge ALCS and World Series.

Frankie Rodriguez (K-Rod) did the same thing for the Angels in '02--Like the "trade deadline" the miracle is lost somewhere in the fine print....

I gotta send out my get well soon to Carl Yastrzemski. The last Triple Crown Winner (1967) had triple bypass surgery yesterday....apparently he is doing well from all Ive heard.

HERES a profile of him written in '05 thats definitely worth the read.

Thoughts and prayers...

Get Well Soon Captain

1153303281_18bf09296f.jpg

Edited by mstar1

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for Yastrzemski.

There are players that define the era they played in, and Yaz is at the top of that list. He was always an example of class, and dignity, besides being a great player.

Get well, Yaz.

I add my thoughts to that and Happy Birthday for tomorrow Yaz--69 years old ---many more!! Thanks for the memories--What a guy!

Congratulations to the Little League kids from Hawai'i!!

Down 5-1 with 3 outs to go, they scored 6 in the top of the 6th to take the US Championship game.

Thats the comeback of the year--what an exciting game! I can always count on the little leaguers

Edited by mstar1

Congratulations to the Little League kids from Hawai'i!!

Down 5-1 with 3 outs to go, they scored 6 in the top of the 6th to take the US Championship game.

Thats the comeback of the year--what an exciting gaI can always count on the little leaguers

Wow, they must be doggone good!

I saw the score at 0-0 then Hawaii's big guy getting a single to drive in the game's first run... that's all I knew until I read this.

Holy Chitaqua--28?

What do you have Galactor- The Evil Eater of Pitchers living in the woods down there?

Thats unbelievable....

Some of these little league kids will be available after tomorrow if you need some more...

:wink2:

Final is Sunday afternoon

Hawai'i vs Mexico.

I'll be watchin

well... since our motto now is "I will cry no more forever"... we've called up Nelson Cruz. You guys may remember we talked about him a while back... in AAA this year he's hitting .342/.429/.695 with 37 home runs, 99 RBI and 24 steals in 383 at bats over 103 games. The problem he's had before is that he just hasn't been able to carry those numbers over to the big club...

It's make or break as he's out of options and can take FA the next time the stRangers take him off the roster... of course, we hope he is able to carry his success over this time... if he doesn't, he may be coming to a ballpark near you next year...

Had a fine time at Angel Stadium on Saturday with the Twins. Exciting game, Vlad hit the cover off the ball, 2 circus catches by Torii, and a nice 7-5 win for the Angels.

I was in the 'company seats' right behind home plate. At Angel Stadium, it's the 'vip' section, with an amazing restaurant attached, if you're idea of going to a ball game includes prime rib and wine. Mine doesn't, and though we were waited on, I found the hot dogs more than disappointing.

I realized I don't know my way around Angel Stadium yet. Others around me came in with awesome dogs, and sausages that looked like they came right off the bbq. Turns out they did, and there's a stand for those who know, that serves up the good stuff. Next time.

Couldn't beat the seats though. I have friends who much prefer Angel Stadium, to Dodger. I don't agree with them, but can't argue the point, as it's a heck of a ball park. The place was a hell hole before Disney renovated it in the late 90's. Now that Disney is gone, the ballpark thankfully remains.

My biggest complaint is the ear racking noise pumped through the speakers. Can't have any 'down time', lest the fans get bored, I guess. Of course this goes for most ball parks these days. The Dodgers have actually toned down some of it this season.

I would choose Chavez Ravine over Anaheim as well... I sat about even with 3rd base on and the seats/view were nice but CR just seems so "nice"... whether behind the dugout or in the bleachers... just a nice baseball experience... we've got the wive's company seats here that are on the third and fourth row by the 3rd base batters box... great seats but (as I've said before) just to dang hot...

Ive never been to games in LA but they sound like great places to watch ballgames---other than the noise thing.....

I dont mind genuine heartfelt fan emotion and response to play on the field--in fact I like it....

But every time I see one of those "Make Some Noise" scoreboards or hear the canned trumpet (or whatever)I almost always get unbearably ornery.

The quiet moments, where nothing major except reflection is going on, is part of the game rhythm that makes the spontaneous excitement

all the better for me

Maybe its just me --that I hate to ever be told what to do--but especially when Im enjoying myself at a game

Well, I've just had a question answered that's been keeping me awake nights for I-don't-know-how-many years...Seems the Orioles and the Chisox had to finish out a game tonight that was called about two months ago because of rain with the score tied 3-3 after ten innings..Because of all the roster changes on both teams since the game was originally called, all the new players on each team were allowed to play in the completion of the game, like Ken Griffey Jr. and so forth...Although Aubrey Huff, who was thrown out of the game before it was rain-delayed, didn't get to play as well as the others who were subbed for...

Yeah, that was interesting Simon. According to the record books, Griffey will now have played in 2 cities on the same day !

I'm with you on the noise, Mstar. Those strips they've put up in many parks that run around the loge, exhorting you to make some noise, or to tell you that strikeout was brought to you by Taco Bell...... :realmad::evildenk:

That crap is really really starting to bug me-especially on the televised games where every steal is brough to you by "LoJack" every passed ball is sponsored "Beano" (or something) and every conceivable moment of the game is advertising and if not advertising then noise making graphics that whistle and whir and ding.

When I was at a nationally televised FOX saturday game and the announcer said "The seventh inning stretch brought to you by Coke", I wanted to scream. ( probably did)

Thankfully at least Fenway doesnt have one of those gawdawful annoyance machines around the deck that they have near everywhere now

Its way way way overdone....It struck home when I watched a full game from 1967 on DVD a year or so ago---very minimal graphics if any, almost no announcing really, and if there was any advertising It was very very simple and unobtusive ( Hi neighbor--have a 'gansett) and only when there was a pitching change or something slowed the pace way way down....--mostly the entire DVD just had a game on which you could watch for your self and enjoy without the mountains of BS surrounding it....

Interesting on the WhiteSox/Orioles.

did they commence with the same lineups (or whoever was still on the roster)

If the two teams had done a trade between the suspension and the finish would it be possible for someone to be in a boxscore on both sides of the ledger? :biglaugh:

That would be a accomplishment...

Tonight the Red Sox final final series ever at Yankee Stadium starts.

Still hard for me to believe, some Yankee friends are going into panic mode

Edited by mstar1

Thankfully at least Fenway doesnt have one of those gawdawful annoyance machines around the deck that they have near everywhere now

give em time starman... it's extra revenue doncha know? ...and since they're keeping Fenway (they are aren't they?) ..it's sadly only a matter of time until...

I do have to admit though that, while at the game in Anaheim, I sorta kinda did enjoy when the rally monkey made his appearance on the big screen... don't know how it is for the regulars but for a one time visitor it was funny...

Now that the stRangers have collapsed there are reports that Millwood, Padilla and Catalanotto have cleared waivers...

Don't know if you all are familiar with the story of Joel Youngblood, but on August 4, 1982, starting in center field for the NY Mets, he hit a two run single off of Fergie Jenkins of the Cubs in the third inning of a day game at Wrigley...He recieved word soon after that he had been traded to the Montreal Expos, and quickly caught a flight to Philly, where the Expos where playing a night game...He arrived at Philly's stadium in the third inning of that game, was inserted into right field in the sixth inning, and later got a single in his only at-bat against Steve Carlton...Not only did Youngblood get a hit for two different teams in two diffent cities on the same day, but the pitchers he got them off of had combined career totals of more than 500 victories and 6000 strikeouts....I suppose Joel has framed, enlarged box scores of both games hanging somewhere in his den...

Yeah, I'd like to see some parks tone it down a bit when it comes to all these advertizing and gimmicks to try to put excitement into the crowd..Like this thread title says, baseball is a talking sport, and part of the fun of going to games is being able to talk during breaks in the action instead of being shouted at...

Tom, I saw where your boy that got called up from AAA got a homerun and three hits in his first game w/ the stRangers...Now, with the glut of hitting that the stRangers already have, why doesn't management shop around a young fella like that as trade bait for some front-line pitching?...

Tom, I saw where your boy that got called up from AAA got a homerun and three hits in his first game w/ the stRangers...Now, with the glut of hitting that the stRangers already have, why doesn't management shop around a young fella like that as trade bait for some front-line pitching?...

We probably will... and we have a few "young fellas like that"! But I don't think they'll shop any of the core players... they'll deal... but they're not giving away the farm any more... (at least that's what they're saying) ...you have to remember that besides our minor league pitching staff, only Young, Kinsler and Laird (of the everyday position players) are not rookies, call ups or in their first full season of MLB... (didn't include Bradley cuz he mostly DHs, when he's not hurt)