GreaseSpot Cafe

Shock & Anger

Belle

I am so freaking peeved!!! What's wrong with people today???

On my way home tonight I'm crawling along at the typical rush hour snail's pace. I see a girl all by herself over in the median on this busy road. She's standing by her car with her flashers on.

I pull over onto the median out of the way of traffic and ask if she's okay. She said she was. I asked if she needed to use my cell phone to call someeone or if I could help in any way. She said her car had overheated and a friend was coming with some water.

So, since she was okay, I put my blinker on and tried to get back in traffic. Not one flippin' person slowed down enough to let me in!!! I laughed and, with my window down, told her I couldn't believe this. She said she had been there on the side of the road for over an hour and I was only the 3rd person to stop and ask if she was okay or needed help. WTF????

It took me a good 15 minutes before someone would let me back in traffic. I'm so upset! It was the end of the day for pete's sake!! It's not like it was going to cause someone to be late for work. Geeze!!! I'm so freakin' peeved!!!

quote:
She said she had been there on the side of the road for over an hour and I was only the 3rd person to stop and ask if she was okay or needed help. WTF????

I hear ya, even though we don't have anywhere near the traffic you do. icon_frown.gif:(-->

Up here in the People's Republic of Duluth one gets much the same treatment --- despite all the socially-conscious, politically-correct, work-for-justice advocates that we have living here.

Put a real life need in front of their face (instead of a cause), and they will ignore you as quickly as the next person. Seems like it is just as important to get home quickly (these days). icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

However -- in *greater minnesota* (ie - rural) -- folks treat people like folks, and not like some bug that crawled out from under a rock.

Must be the *big city* influence, eh?

Strange country we live in....I wonder how many of these people will line up on Sunday to hear the "Love your neighbor as yourself' sermon...

...I never did like what happens to people when they become part of a herd, it seems to slowly erode away common goodness and important parts of their humanity.

I have to brace every summer weekend for the invasion of the tourists myself. They are professionals at leaving their manners (if indeed they have any at all)at home.

Glad you stopped though Belle-

I only had 30 minutes to spend with Holly before I had to go to work, but on the way home, on the loopty-loo street in my neighborhood on the way to my house, we passed a little motorized scooter chair with a fellow in it who appeared perplexed somehow.

Freakin' Florida heat will kill you if you give it half a chance, especially if you're 84 with a dead battery on your zoom mobile.

He is a vet...Okinowa and the Filipines...had a hat and an American flag on his buggy. His name is Jim Cleese and Holly and I got to help him.

The neat thing was we took him two doors down to another neighbor who goes to the same church as we do (sometimes)...he had what I didn't and Jim needed...a plug with an outlet. Time enuf to recharge and re-energize the oldster in the shade.

A thoroughly worthwhile digression from "the plan" of the day.

Holly thought we done good and that's good enuf for me.

Here's to Jackie DeShannon and that dumb butt song she used to sing...lol...not so dumb after all. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Put a Little Love in Your Heart

Think of your fellow man

Lend him a helping hand

Put a little love in your heart

You see it's getting late

oh please don't hesitate

Put a little love in your heart

And the world will be a better place

yes, the world will be a better place

For you, for me

You just wait and see

It was an innocuous song of the 60s whose simple lyrics are still simple, but good

Matilda, I LOVE that song!!

I'm the master of back roads, Ham. But this one can't be avoided unless you take another road that's even more crammed full of cars. I'm just floored at the total apathy of so many people. That would NEVER happen in Mississippi.

Yep. Some things can't be avoided, I guess..

When I went to see my brother in NJ, we took the train into New York City. It was packed, but I was suprised how smoothly things really ran. People were actually kind of friendly. I don't know what it is like at night though..

But I don't think you've really lived, until you experience a cab ride through NY during rush hour..

Thanks for bringing this up.

I noticed on the way home, when I drove passed a guy walking home that I used to stop and help more (we have poor bus system out here in the boonies).

I wasn't so afraid to stop.

(Once i stopped to help a lone woman that looked stranded and she was looking for a pickup of a different sort.)

Overall it appears to me that we will be judged when we meet the Lord for the good we do (and not our judgment of others).

Thanks,

I last time that I was "on the side of the road", about as year ago. The snow-plows had cleared off the roads, but left a lot of sand and slush on the sides. I was teaching one of our renters to drive. I had her pulling over to perform a U-turn, when she went onto some gravel and she locked-up the brakes. we slid right off and into the ditch, the rear-end of my station-wagon was up in the air.

But the next three cars that drove by, ALL stopped and offered assistance. Within 2 or 3 minutes, one guy had a tow-strap and another guy had yanked my car out of the ditch. And we were back on our way again. In Ct, they seem to be fairly helpfull.

Same here in Tennessee....I have never been passed by on the road when I was stranded....even when I told folks that stopped.....that help was on the way....they offered to go get food and drinks for the children untill our help arrived.

Most folks are very courtious about letting people inti traffic....

When I lived in Wichita Kansas, now THAT was an entirely different story....I would be in tears most nights after the rush hour commute....people were blocked on the hiway and beaten for inadvertantly cutting someone off, I knew someone who was beaten for utilization of the middle finger at soemone who cut him off ....usually about once a month you would read about a road rage incident involving a gun....

I though ...DAMN, I never knew that driving was considered a *contact* sport....

Thanks for the reminder of why I love my adopted state :-)