GreaseSpot Cafe

Studs

Shellon

The local bar.

Er, the wall. Generally they are 16 inches apart. Some communities specify 12 inches apart, but those are few and far between.

If you start at one corner of a room and go over about 15 or 16 inches, and tap there, you'll likely find the first stud.

If it’s a real stud then a tap on the shoulder works. who_me.gif

Now serious, depends on things like how old the joint is. Older places often had 2' stud centers .But the trick is finding what was the lead wall, where the lay-out started from. From the lead all studs are equal spaced, but the last one can be anywhere.

Try tapping 16" in from a wall, then 2'. Not sure, start at the opposite wall and measure in. A 6' hole saw also works great

If you have a really strong magnet, like out of a disk drive, it will stick to the nails under the wallboard. The nails are driven into the stud and you've found it.

There's always the danger that you'll miss the stud, or worse, just hit the edge of it. I always drill a tiny hole first. If it hits the stud, you'll feel it start to work harder and see sawdust when you pull it out. If it misses, a little hole is easy to patch, just a dab of white toothpaste, if the wall is white.

I recommend buying an electronic stud finder if you often find yourself lookng for these critters, they are now cheap and some have additional abilites such as finding electrical wires and plumbing. (both are way more dangerous to encounter than the wood studs).

Mine will also locate studs in plaster walls, which the thumping technique may not be good at accomplishing.

HOWEVER, if this is a one time need, you might try locating the nails in the baseboards for a clue. The suggestion of a small hole is always a good idea.

Finally, there are "hollow wall" fasteners that may make the need for finding a stud less common. My favorite for most medium weight tasks is the screw-in fasteners. They are made of white plastic, have a point to get them started, and coarse threads which allow them to screw in with a phillips screwdriver. They are quite adequate for almost any weight picture. Fasteners are rated on their packaging by their ability to hold weight.

when you later decide to move the picture, do not remove the fastener. just screw it in a little further (not all the way into the wall)and fill the recess with vinyl spackle paste.

~HAP