GreaseSpot Cafe

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE LONG WEEKEND GETAWAY?

waterbuffalo

Hey,

I have a research paper due in two wks. and a final exam and then I HOPE to take a long weekend refresher "course" away from home, i.e. seeing the sights at some interesting get away place.

We love to stay at B&Bs. We've been to Amish country, but wouldn't mind going again, to the art museum in Toledo to see a Van Gough and the gold gilt old master's art show, to Williamsburg, and to the Blue Ridge Parkway many times. These were some of my favorites.

Anyone have a place that you particularly like and would recommend to a friend?

Whitewater rafting on the Ocoee or the Eau Gallie River

Spending the week-end at New Smyrna Beach in a beachside condo.

Attending ANY NASCAR race! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

If you decide on Orlando, let me know!!!

Edited by Belle

Waterbuffalo, if you like bluegrass music, there is a big festival in June in Owensboro, KY. Ricky Skaggs, Rhonda Vincent (I believe) and a host of others will be there. DMiller, are you attending? Anyway, my hubby may be working backstage.

They have a website. I will post it if you are interested.

WB,

Sounds like you like country getaways as opposed to city ones. wink2.gif;)-->

I love Chicago. Shedd Aquarium is totally fabulous, and all the museums, I could get lost in for days. Not to mention the great restaurants.

But if you want something a bit quieter than the city, just a couple of hours north of you in Michigan, are some wonderful lakeside towns that keep a slower pace, and have wonderful vistas. Cool B&B's, too. Check out St. Joe, Holland, Saugatuk.....

The North Shore Drive along Lake Superior To Grand Marais (an artsy-folksy community) is a great week-end trip, but is probably too far away for you.

When I lived in Indiana, I would *get lost* on purpose in The Hoosier, driving along back country roads, never really knowing where I was, until I came upon a town, and then could see where I was on the map. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Nashville Indiana is close enough to you, and the tourists probably aren't there yet like the droves that appear during summer, and peak color season in the Fall.

My personal favourite get-away for a long weekend, is the Great River Road, that runs along the Mississippi River between Minnesota, and Wisconsin.

The towns and the scenery can't be beat. It's been a long time since I did the trip, but I still remember feeling I had stepped back in time, and nothing was worth being in a hurry for anymore. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Ps -- after you click on Great River Road, click on the *road map* link, on the left side of the page. I started it in the Onalaska/ LaCrosse area.

quote:
if you like bluegrass music, there is a big festival in June in Owensboro, KY. Ricky Skaggs, Rhonda Vincent (I believe) and a host of others will be there. DMiller, are you attending?

Act2 -- probably not, but that is a festival that I have heard only good about. Thanks for the links -- Am going to check them out now. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Waterbuffalo,

You have already mentioned the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's also one of my favorite places, especially in the fall when you are bathed with brilliant warm colors mile after breathtaking mile.

Another favorite spot for me is the Outer Banks of North Carolina, especially the Hatteras National Seashore. It is the unspoiled Outer Banks with miles of beautiful, undeveloped, pristine beaches where the descendants of Blackbeard's horses are free to roam the dunes while feeding on the wild seaoats that wave there in profusion.

Another favorite place of mine is Puerto Rico.

Old San Juan is an elegant, demure senorita of ageless beauty. She will forever win your heart. As she tells her story, she will transport you back in time to the zenith of Spanish colonial power in the new world. Her old spanish forts, El Morro and San Cristobal, they have been stalwartly keeping their vigils over the deep blue Atlantic since the 1500's. Her arms will gently embrace you as you walk her cobble streets lined with row after row of Moorish influenced buildings with beautiful wrought iron gates and balconies.

When you take that last look as you peer back from your cabin window in the sky at the walls of forts, perhaps you will see her standing at the shore waving to you. "Adios, vuelva a mi pronto!", she says.

Great suggestions dmiller and ex10. South Haven sounded good to me last summer when I was surfing around, Ex10, so I may think about that for a place to go in July or August.

Thanks, dmiller, I'll look into those things. Have you ever been to New Harmony? It's on the IL, IN border. MY sister-in-law's family went there one weekend and really enjoyed it. It was a 1800s cult settlement, lol, where they had all things in common type thing. We should feel right at home down there. LOL!

Oeon, did you write that or did you copy and paste it from a website or lift it from a brochure? If you did, IMHO, you are a really good writer and should probably look into capitalizing on your writing abilities.

WB, the Executive Inn is right near where the Bluegrass Festival will be held. According to my niece, there are still rooms available at this time.

I will post the 800 # for them later. Got to get going this morning.