GreaseSpot Cafe

Did New knoxville/St. Mary's take a hit?because of TWI's decline?

gladtobeout

With such a rapid decline of TWI, I wondered if the local towns have taken a big financial hit? There used to be much more staff, ROA, Corps Week, and other large events that benefitted the local economy. Are the locals excited they are mostly gone or bummed?

I think the local area took a big hit in the financial area, especially in August. If I remember correctly, the Way did as much business as it could in the local area and not only New Knoxville.

During the Rock of Ages there were between 15,000 and 20,000 people in town buying gas, groceries, medical supplies and a whole lot of other camping type products. To small business, having this many people be in town, for some business owners, would make their whole year. The same thing happens today during the Christmas season, for most small business, a good or bad Christmas retail season makes or breaks their whole year.

Since I am a small business owner, most people I talk with have no idea how small of a profit margin a small business owner survives on. There isn't any doubt that not having the Rock of Ages during the month of August was a huge financial hit.

Gee there were actually businesses around that Kornfield swamp? I think all I ate were Believer Burgers and was constipated for the entire ROA.

As far as them hurting, the only thing that hurts them is that they couldn't give a tinker parade farewell, seeing most protested during my attendance of ROA!

Which, of course, might just have been the normal result of normal

business. Sad to say, but businesses close all the time, all over the

world.

The closings there MAY be related, or may NOT. Impossible to say

without more information.

I don't know about the business and the money, but I imagine they are glad to see the cult having less and less people. The wayfers still around are probably much nicer to deal with now that they don't have craiggers getting them all riled up. It probably also means less WD's knocking on their doors trying to get them to come to a service.

Well I can think of at least two businesses that took a pretty substantial economic "hit" from the demise of WayWorld,

1. The laundramat in St. Marys

2. The U-Haul trailer rental guy (he always brought in numerous more units just before Corps week and was always running short by the time the W.O.W.s set out)

I'd bet the average business owner is pretty conflicted in his feelings. No doubt Wayfers could be a PITA with their incessant witnessing and inflated view of Way dogma (and condescending view of any non-Way dogma). But the tens of thousands of dollars that TWI put in their tills every summer had to be a welcome addition...

Conflicted is probably a very apt description, George. We have the same confliction here at Daytona. The business owners like the business that Spring Break, Bike Week and Black College Reunion bring to town, but they don't like all the traffic, crowds, crime and noise. In fact there's a major debate going on about trying to discourage the events and asking them to move to another town so Daytona can establish themselves as a "family" friendly beach. (The prolific population of pedophiles is going to keep that from happening, but that's another story for another day.)

I don't much care about the other two, but I sure hope they keep Bike Week around! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Hey nervie, how's this:

Ding dong the Way is dead,

Which old Way

Why the wicked Way

Ding dong the wicked Way is dead

We will cut off it's head

Which old head

The Way's head

Ding dong the Way's head on a silver platter.

No, I'm not Steve, but once again you are right on the mark...reminds me of your word!

I just thought about this last night. They do hold the advanced class at hq now and everyone has to stay in hotels nearby. Many have to rent cars to drive back and forth to hq and I don't think all 3 meals are included in the price for the class (which did not go down when they moved the class from Indiana where you got to stay on campus).

Granted, there aren't that many people taking the advanced class, but it is a little bit of revenue that comes into the area.