GreaseSpot Cafe

Oh that's just PEACHY!

Raf

Krys, there IS still damage from last year.

I still see blue roofs everwhere I go, albeit less of them, but there are still quite a few.

The debris yards where the tons upon tons of debris was taken are mostly cleared out and all that's left is mountains of mulch.

Hopefully people who have been waiting or struggling with their insurance companies and trying to come up with deductible money will be able to get everything taken care of and finalized before anything major develops. (Hopefully, nothing major will develop.)

My Y2K supplies came in handy last year. I was able to have warm coffee, hot omelettes and didn't have to eat my soup out of the can. icon_smile.gif:)--> My huge oak tree has been trimmed so that the wind will blow through it without much resistance and the roof is brand new.

And, most importantly, my neighbors and I have our bars stocked for any post-hurricane parties we may have again this year! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

MOVE??? No way!!

Hurricanes are the only natural disaster I can think of that has awesome parties associated with it. People don't have tornado or earthquake parties, but post-hurricane parties....those are THE best! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

There's a huge baby boom after hurricane season, too! redface.gif:o-->

quote:
Assuming that it even makes it past the Central American mountains, it's unlikely that this disturbance will regain tropical storm strength. If it does, it will be called Arlene (and some other names).

This is incorrect. It will retain the name Adrian if it regains strength in the Gulf or Atlantic. Arlene will be the first hurricane/tropical storm that actually forms in the Atlantic or the Gulf.

It's no longer considered likely to affect South Florida in the slightest.

I think they're called typhoons if they hit the Eastern Hemisphere. I'm pretty sure on our side we call them hurricanes, no matter what.

Here is a great hurricane site. You can get the models when storms are going. Good message board also. People reporting as long as they can on the message board untill the power goes out. Good info and tells you when to duck.

Hurricane City

Yes Raf your right on accounts. I don't know what the longitude is that they change from Hurricane to Typhoon

Cool. I was moslty guessing.

But it is true that they don't change the names of hurricanes if they cross from the Pacific to the Atlantic or vice versa. That's in the story in the opening post.

I absolutely hate hurricane season! I hate the boarding up, I hate the constant threat, I hate having to get everything worth anything off the floor, I hate wondering where the hell I'm going to go for the day it hits, I hate having to sit in traffic while escaping the madness and I hate the fear of coming back to a home under water. Did I say I HATE hurricane season? Well, I do!

gc

GC iam with you.I too am close to the water. I am 13 feet above a mean high tide. Hurricane fran put 1 1/2 feet of water in my garage, I lost half of my trees, 3 piers washed up in the yard and 2 boats not to mention a couple of feet of marsh grass. Yep nothing fun about them IMO.I know I live in the way of them but I still don't have to like them and I can still bit*h about them. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Hello Raf~~~

Seems like only last hurricane season all this type of thing was happening.

There is a story in the May 05 Popular Science by Michael Behar~~~ "When Earth Attacks!"~~~ worth a perusal.

Tsunamis, Volcanoes, Hurricanes, Landslides -

The single certain thing about natures's killers is that they will strike again, and again. Our only defense: Ever better prediction and protection.

Michael Behar

quote:
MOVE??? No way!!

Hurricanes are the only natural disaster I can think of that has awesome parties associated with it. People don't have tornado or earthquake parties, but post-hurricane parties....those are THE best! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Belle -- then ya ain't never been to a 4-wheeler get together when the snow is really coming down, and making roads impassable.

Up here, we wait for the snow to get a foot or so deep, and get together, and plow through it before the county can clear the roads. The deeper it gets, the better we like it. And it is party time -- all the way into the wee hours of the morning.

Meebe snow isn't a *natural disaster*, but it sure as **** reeks havoc on the local roadways (both paved, and off-road), and we make it a point to hit them all, coolers and thermos's well stocked, tunes, cb's for talk, and yes -- we need winches to get some unlucky soul unstuck, whose truck isn't high enough to clear the drifts -- usually in the *backwoods*.

Heee! We are out there in the middle of this happening, no *post party* to it at all. icon_smile.gif:)-->

If you like NASCAR -- you would love a *midnight sled ride* party, up here -- and we don't wait until it is over, we are out there while it is all happening.

icon_cool.gif

(sorry for the de-rail, Raf.)

Edited by dmiller

David, thou almost persuadeth me to relocate! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

It sounds like a BLAST!! I used to work for Fish and Game Finder magazine and got to type photo captions and stories from the Great White Northern States and it did always look like fun tooling around on snowmobiles and big @ s s trucks in the snow! There was one lodge you could only get to by snowmobile so it was like a little family of regulars all winter.

I'm much more partial to cold weather than the 100 degree heat with 100% humidity we get down here. You can always put on more clothes, but there's only so much you can take off before you start getting in trouble. icon_eek.gifnono5.gif For the life of me I can't figure out how I ended up staying down here as long as I have. icon_confused.gif:confused:-->

p.s. wink2.gif;)--> You know that any self-respecting southern gal LOVES NASCAR!! icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->