GreaseSpot Cafe

How Private is Your Personal Information?

Belle

They just did a story on a website that has all kinds of information on people. It's pretty scary the amount of information they say you can get.

Check out http://www.zabasearch.com

You can find information on almost anyone. They only have one address on me that's about 10 years old, but they have all the information on my ex, including the past three addresses we lived at together - one being my current address. Wild since he's always been very careful about keeping his information private.

Guess this might be a good place to find all those missing people in FriendTracker....

There was my correct address and phone number amongst a myriad of other George St. Georges (I think there are seven of us in the US -- TWO in Texas!)

I prefer http://www.intelius.com, because it tells you when the info was last updated, though they don't give away addresses or phone numbers for free. On the other hand, 24-hour searching costs $20, which is reasonable, AND you can do reverse searches (all occupants of a given address), which helps if someone has changed her name.

George

The WWW has about everything now days. We recently had to re-finance a mortgage, and things were popping up on the credit check. So I began getting our free credit reports, and trying to 'fix' everything that they had. Old addresses, old bank accounts, old phone numbers, employers, lots of stuff shows up. Plus some totally bogus junk, it took months to get rid of the junk.

They even had listed bank loans that we had never done business with ever.

Also keep in mind that every city clerk's title-deeds and listings of leins are all 'public domain' too.