GreaseSpot Cafe

what you will!!

Mod Kirk

Hi ..I hope this doesn't "derail" this thread, & perhaps I ought to start a "new subject" thread on this..anyway..while in Florida this winter, I had a small apartment that was part of a large home & the gentleman I was renting from had a very very elderly mother who was hoping to die years & years ago..she's presently just a "stick" of a woman..almost all 84 lbs of her are l/2 of her former weight.

Anyway, I knew she had done alot of sleeping during the day, which made it easy to look after her, as we were all just waiting for the day to come. One day, while she was eating breakfast, I "kinda" got on her about living life & giving up living (actually I was SUPER SUPRISED that she had lived this long with such a negative attitude towards WANTING to live..she instead explained to me her desire to go be with her deceased "boyfriend" of several years back.

Well..having the big mouth that I have at times (when so inspired) I "got on her" about sleeping thru the day & rather than just sleeping & waiting for God to "take her",...why couldn't/wouldn't she decide to begin to just give to others...give people a little bless phone call or dang it "just do sumthun!!!!!!!"..got her pretty upset with me...but the next day she was up early & I could hear her gabbing away on the phone.LOL..

My q to you all out there...since I know I was taught that people die because they WANT to die....then why aint she gone?? At this moment she's still her 84lb self & can't wait to go & hasn't the guts to put the gun to the brow.

Any of you have that belief that when you want to die...then the ole devil will gladly accomodate you? As I said this probably should be on a thread of its own & if the head dishwasher wants to make it one...feel free to & call it what you will!!

This is of course just me talking, and just my opinion,

but,

can both of you gentlemen take it to a different thread if you want to

discuss both of those things?

I think this thread has been proceeding with one tone, and it might be

a good idea to let it remain with that tone.

====

And if you don't see fit to agree with me, and feel like flaming me over

it (as some have done in the past),

please at least take THAT to a new thread.

I think that's a small enough thing to ask.

quote:
My q to you all out there...since I know I was taught that people die because they WANT to die....then why aint she gone??
Maybe you were taught WRONG

quote:
At this moment she's still her 84lb self & can't wait to go & hasn't the guts to put the gun to the brow.
Hmmm...maybe she believes suicide is wrong/sinful

quote:
Any of you have that belief that when you want to die...then the ole devil will gladly accomodate you?
I think that the statistics would not back up that belief. Part of the hard-to-prove "law of believing"

I believe there is something to "the will to live" although it is not written in stone. If it were a stead fast rule then passt cancer patients would still be alive because most did not want to die. Some went to other countries to receive experimental therapies. Most fought it to the end.

On the other hand I have seen a spouse die and soon the other one goes also of no apparent reason. During WWII and the Baaton death march, many survivors said it was just their will to live that kept them going. They wanted to see their families again.

quote:
My q to you all out there...since I know I was taught that people die because they WANT to die....then why aint she gone?? At this moment she's still her 84lb self & can't wait to go & hasn't the guts to put the gun to the brow.

I guess I'm more concerned about why this should be any of your business. Death and dying are *the most* personal decisions that a person and his/her relatives have to make. I've had to deal with it twice, upfront and personal, in the last few years and the last thing I'd want is for a stranger to stick his nose uninvited into the discussion.

quote:
guess I'm more concerned about why this should be any of your business. Death and dying are *the most* personal decisions that a person and his/her relatives have to make.

It has been brought up as a point of discussion. Some people think sex is very personal and should only be uttered behind closed doors. But it gets plenty of air time.

Jim...(from one Jim to another)...In all honesty...I was just trying to help a person who basically was "sleeping her life away" & TRYING to be a friend to the family..it really wasn't about me & being "right" & holding my doctrinal stance over her.

I am with older people quite a bit nowadays, & see how quickly alot of them give up REALLy wanting to live & end up in depression & suicidal thoughts..& for me personally. I'd apprciate someone trying to "snap me out of it" in terms of giving up on life.

To this day. we're still good friends & she has alot of respect for me. Got to share about the hope of Christs return as well in dealing with her btw...

quote:
My q to you all out there...since I know I was taught that people die because they WANT to die.

There have been times during the past year in which I experienced a reversal of fortune and abandonment of friends that I have not only wanted to die but actually PRAYED to die ...but here I am.

"Any of you have that belief that when you want to die...then the ole devil will gladly accomodate you?"

He can't have you when God sees better days ahead which in my case He did.