GAS,GAS,GAS,GAS...

likeaneagle

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:
Originally posted by Linda Z:

Thanks, Jard and TK...good to have some idea what's going on. Haven't heard much on the news about shortages except in the South.

They changed some laws to allow importation of refined oil temporarily, so it can go directly to the stations. refining is the bottleneck, even before katrina. I don't think we will see a shortage. Price is 3.09 in "downstate" Illinois (anywhere below chicago).

If you watch the market, oil by the barrel has come down a little after the storm, and even the refined has come down. "Buy the rumor, sell the news" is the maxim.

Haven't seen much on the state of refineries after the storm though, so it wouldn't hurt to at least keep the tank on the top half. Unfortunately, people get spooked and tend to stockpile at a time when the flow is interrupted, which just exacerbates the problem.

I suggest everyone become familiar with the concept of "peak oil", and what that means for our petroleum dependent economy. Even though the damage of hurricane Katrina made the oil prices spike, it's expected that they would have gotten to this price eventually anyway, and that they will continue to rise even if they do go back down a little in the next few weeks.

This time next year, quite a few experts are saying that it would not be a suprise if we had to pay over $4 or $5 a gallon. Time to trade that Hummer in for a Prius, I suppose (just kidding.)

Actually, I'm part of a political group that meets to discuss issues related to oil and such. It's interesting to hear what people have to say and compare notes. Overall, it doesn't look good for the availability of oil for us, no matter what we do. India and China are paying more for oil that we used to buy, and many of the countries that we normally buy oil from are starting to sell more to China than to us. If you were to see this new big oil pipeline Canada is building, for example, it's clear in which direction their future oil sales are going to be headed. The rest of the world is pretty much doing the same thing. Even we do it. Our oil companies sell a lot of American oil to China because we can import it cheaper from the middle east than what it costs for us to use our own. International trade is weird.

quote:
Originally posted by Mister P-Mosh:

This time next year, quite a few experts are saying that it would not be a suprise if we had to pay over $4 or $5 a gallon.

Actually, I'm part of a political group that meets to discuss issues related to oil and such.

It would not surprise me if it was under $2 either. Why is a political group meeting to discuss oil prices? And which group?

The price spike had occured before Katrina. Then it spiked again. The pump price has increased almost twice as much as the barrel price increase. Just from a trading perspective, when prices have spiked up incredibly, and you hear people talking about them going to the moon ... that is the time to sell (if you weren't smart enough to sell earlier lol).

$4 or $5 at the pump would be crippling to the US economy. Since we are still the engine for the world, who will China sell to if not us? Their (and the world's?) production machine depends on our economy.

Anyway, just wanted to present an alternative view. I could very well be wrong icon_smile.gif:)-->

Oh yeah, one other thought.

Although the Chinese aren't ones to do "African Aid" concerts, they are one of the largest benefactors into building an infrastructure in Africa. Guess who is quietly setting themselves up to be a recipient of all those African natural resources????? hmmmmmmmm?

J.

Oh good, Jardinero is here icon_smile.gif:)-->

All these other places could take off I guess, but as I understand, they have been talking about that for at least 5 years, but it is still the US economy that is "the engine" for the world. Here is part of one article just from google...

"Low on fuel

But how can the world be weaned off its over-reliance on American spending without sending the global economy into recession?"

http://www.economist.com/surveys/showsurve...?issue=20030920

That was a couple years ago, but I think it is the same or worse now. The solution was for foreignors to buy more, and Americans less, but they thought that was unlikely.

Another article said many believe the economic slowdown point for the price of oil is $100, which is sorta what we have now because of the large "crack spread". icon_smile.gif:)--> I wish i could say I knew what that meant before about 5 minutes ago, but it is the spread between the barrel price and the refined price, which is extra wide right now. lol

Anyway, who knows? It would actually be good for everyone if all the world economies prospered, unless they do it by selling WMD's to terrorists.

Must be time to chat wave.gif:wave:-->

• 11 months later...
Originally posted by Mister P-Mosh:This time next year, quite a few experts are saying that it would not be a suprise if we had to pay over $4 or $5 a gallon. Actually, I'm part of a political group that meets to discuss issues related to oil and such.

It would not surprise me if it was under $2 either. Why is a political group meeting to discuss oil prices? And which group? The price spike had occured before Katrina. Then it spiked again. The pump price has increased almost twice as much as the barrel price increase. Just from a trading perspective, when prices have spiked up incredibly, and you hear people talking about them going to the moon ... that is the time to sell (if you weren't smart enough to sell earlier lol).

$4 or $5 at the pump would be crippling to the US economy. Since we are still the engine for the world, who will China sell to if not us? Their (and the world's?) production machine depends on our economy. Anyway, just wanted to present an alternative view. I could very well be wrong :)

I thought I'd revive these bold predictions from a year ago, about gas prices in a year. p-mosh said $4-$5 for gas for 9/7/06 (although couched as "wouldn't be surprised if it was that") I said could be $2. At the time it was like $3.20 ... it is now $2.76 and they are talking about it heading to toward $2 for Thanksgiving.

Of course any action in Iran could take it to $4. Many feel barrel prices are heading up ...

One way to save a little on gas is to fill up early in the morning, before the sun gets its day rolling. You'll get more for your money.

I heard this before, something about the gasoline being cooler so denser ... but how much does the temperature swing in those huge underground tanks? I'd bet very little.