GreaseSpot Cafe

Daylight Saving Time

Brother Speed

It's Daylight Saving Time! Well for oilfieldmedic and myself anyway because Iraq observes the fall back method on October 1st. Anyway, it has already happened as of 0400 hours Iraqi time. That would be 4pm in Alaska and 8pm in New York on September 30th.

My question is: Is it an extra hour of sleep or an extra hour of work? Any thoughts?

P.S. It is Daylight Saving Time NOT Daylight Saving(s) Time!

I'm with you tcat!

Brother Speed if you moved the clock back an hour it is another hour of sleep, you get to repeat the hour from three to four am. Unless you work nights, which means you don't get lunch!? You work from three to four twice.

Put us all on Daylight Saving Time and leave us there! Or change us over to Standard time and leave us there.

• 4 weeks later...

Those of us who raise livestock know that cattle, hogs, chickens and goats don't have watches and seldom pay attention to clocks...and their caregivers don't either.

Like Krys and Tcat said...just pick one or the other and leave it be.

It's just one more thing to aggravate us.

dammit

Back home in Indiana, they never changed either. This year is the last. Next year they are knuckling under to the pressure to be like *everyone else*, and will adjust clocks.

I always loved it when time stood still. Now one more remnant of of my past is being torn from me.

We don't change time here in Arizona. It's nice.

How does AZ or IN for that matter get by with NOT adjusting their clocks like every state out there?

If I'm in a different time zone, how will I know if AZ is two, three or one hour different from us if they Don't change their clocks too? Wouldn't that effect the time zones?

I always know my daughter who lives in WA state is two hours behind our time. If WA didn't change their clocks back an hour too, then that would mess things up? I'm in MO, we changed them.

Puzzled!

Jeannette

How does AZ or IN for that matter get by with NOT adjusting their clocks like every state out there?

If I'm in a different time zone, how will I know if AZ is two, three or one hour different from us if they Don't change their clocks too? Wouldn't that effect the time zones?

Puzzled!

Jeannette

Many years ago...

The state of Arizona via state legislation, decided that Arizonians didn't want to "spring forward" and "fall back" every year. I am happy that we don't adjust the clock here.

I hate changing my clock! But, now the one in my bathroom is correct, since I never did adjust it last year. :D

I also hate that it gets dark so much earlier now that we fell back an hour. :( I'm in the "quit messin' with my clock" camp, too. Maybe we should all move to AZ with WN! and Zshot!

Many years ago...

The state of Arizona via state legislation, decided that Arizonians didn't want to "spring forward" and "fall back" every year. I am happy that we don't adjust the clock here.

Thats all well and good -- but doesn't explain the difference in time zone hours with the states that do 'spring forward' or 'fall back'. Course AZ is in the same time zone as MO, but now AZ's time is one hour ahead of MO and we are in the SAME time zone. Doesn't that get confusing for people who are use to knowing the difference? IF someone from NY calls you, now you are going to be 4 hrs behind them instead of just 3.. yet other states in the same time zone are still just 3.....

STILL Puzzled..... :blink:

Growing up, my dad worked on the railroad. Our state voted to go on daylight savings time, but the railroad stayed on standard time. My dad had a couple of neat watches that had 2 hour hands, a black one for standard or railroad time and a red one for daylight savings time.

It's a little known fact that the railroads were responsible for establishing time zones and standardized time across the US.

Well, big railroad can claim whatever they want, truth or fiction, seeing as they trumped up lies to get Jesse James shot in the back by a long time friend of Mr. James.

Ha! Do you know WHERE Jesse James was from, and where he was AT when he was SHOT? How about what he was doing WHEN he got shot?

(cause I do.) :P

Edited by jetc57

My dad had a couple of neat watches that had 2 hour hands, a black one for standard or railroad time and a red one for daylight savings time.

Jim, that's really cool! I didn't know they had watches like that! I imagine that woudl fetch a pretty penny on Antiques Roadshow. ;) That is neat!

* skips along now that she's learned something new today *

Ha! Do you know WHERE Jesse James was from, and where he was AT when he was SHOT? How about what he was doing WHEN he got shot?

(cause I do.) :P

To answer your question: He was born in Kearney, Missouri. He was shot unarmed at his home in St. Joseph, Missouri (under the assumed name of Tom Howard.) He was standing on a chair, straightening a picture.

I could be wrong knowing the untrustworthiness of history.

I personally believe that Jesse James was retaliating against big Army for his stance on the Civil War. Big Railroad got robbed for transporting big Army money. Big Army and Big Railroad branded Jesse an outlaw.

History states that the Pinkertons were called in to capture Jesse, but failed. A reward of 10,000 was then offered. Friends of Jesse, Bob Ford and his brother Charlie couldn't put the reward out of their minds, so they collected. Bob and Charlie were charged with murder trying to collect the reward then sentenced to hang but pardoned by the governor.

I believe shenanigans were at play. There was no genuine reward, but a ruse to flush out Jesse masterminded by Big Army and Big Railroad.

Moral of this story: Don't mess with Big Army nor Big Railroad.

I agree with Tcat .... I also think they should just leave the time alone.

Daylight savings time doesn't exist for me at this time of year anyway.

I live in Alaska and setting my clock back hasn not saved me any daylight at all, in fact its still getting darker.

We should be like Arizona and just leave our clocks alone. LOL

Digi