GreaseSpot Cafe

Lifeboats

satori001

If we get hit by the influenza pandemic this year, we will have a limited amount of Tamiflu and Relenza to treat it.

Who gets it? The weak, young and elderly, most likely to perish?

Or the ones we need to keep society going - first responders, medical, police/fire, leaders...

It's not just a hypothetical question any more, is it?

Here in Minney-Soda, all *vulnerable adults* (those with disabilities) are among the first to get vaccinated. All medical personel (and *support staff* - such as myself) are right up there with them. Am not sure of the exact "chain of command" on this up here in our state, but I do know that *my guys* get priority over a lot of other folks.

Every year while I was on active-duty (1976-2001) we were required to take every flu shot every year. I really would not know if the nation ever had any 'shortages' during that short period of time.

During the WMD scare following the WTO attacks, when everyone seemed to be looking for Cipro; we had plenty of Cipro available to us on base.

The last couple of years, when I travel onto base, they commonly are offering the latest flu-shots to everyone who shows up. Thus my impression is that the military is on the top tier of who gets each shot first.

In the military during nuclear fallout training they told us, all else being equal, men and woman in their reproductive years would be spared until the last. If it was necessary for someone to go out in the radiation it would be someone older. The reasoning? Raditation can make you sterile.

If it came down to life and death, and the survival of the nation depended on it, the young, virale, and healthy would have to be given priority. The infirm, children, and sick would not be able to contribute. Immediate work would have to be done and the repopulation of the country would have to be a priority.