GreaseSpot Cafe

Hymnals/Songbooks

Thomas Loy Bumgarner

Name of Hymnal  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Denomination

• Liturgical (Lutheran,Episcopalian,etc)
    • Fundamentalist(Baptist,Pentecostal)
    • Free style(Quaker,Christian Science)

Maybe I can start a thread for all former TWI members. I'll begin with myself and church. I serve a ELCA congregation that uses the following hymnals for worship : 1958 Service Book and Hymnal(red), 1978 Lutheran Book of Worship(green), Hymnal Supplement 1991(maroon/burgundy), 1995 With One Voice(blue),

and 2003 Renewing Worship songbook(rainbow multi-colored) for traditional liturgical worship(Matins, Eurcharist, Vespers, Compline, Baptism, Marriage, Burial, Ordination, Healing, Church dedication). For Contemporary, we use music from Hillsongs, Casting Crowns, Newsboys, Sonic Flood, Delirious, Marty Haugen, David Haas, Integrity, Maranatha, Vineyard. So, now answer the poll I have posted and this includes

Christian Research Fellowship, CFF, Another Way Ministries, Spirit and Truth Fellowship/CES, TWI-1(Galen's

group), Living Epistle Society, and yes, even The Way International(Rosie and the gang at New Knoxville).

Don't feel shy, any takers like Temple Lady, Goey, Mike, Allan, OM< Ham, George, RAF, David, etc?

whats the question?

I don't go to any church regularly but I do have a collection of hymnals and music books that I have collected over the years from all sorts of churches as well as garage, tag, and rummage sales.

I usually like the older ones with forgotten but very good songs a bit more. I keep them for my own entertainment, and play the ones Ive never heard on guitar during the odd moment or when the mood strikes. I have found more than a few amazing songs in those old books

Thomas --- great topic. :)

I love everything old, and not much of that which is new, when it comes to worship songs, with the exception of the OLD Petra songs which are rock and roll gospel personified (IMO), and obviously NOT meant to be played in church -- but rather on the highway cruising at 70 plus miles per hour.

John Schlitt's vocals, Bob Hartman's guitar, John Lawry's keyboards, Louie Weaver's drums, and Ronny Cates bass are the *ultimate* for *drive time* rock and roll. It is mighty hard not to speed, trying to get to what they are singing about. :)

Ahhhhhh -- now -- I got that out of my system. :)

More in keeping with your question -- I have one very favorite CD, and one very favorite hymnal.

Short story here -------------

I stopped in at the local *Christian music* radio station (they play mostly contemporary stuff), several years ago, since I did deliveries for a local printing company back then, and I had on board what they (the radio station), had ordered.

They were throwing out a bunch of CD's. The guy behind the desk saw my bluegrass T-shirt I was wearing, and said "Would you like some free CD's??.

The short of the long of it is, they gave me a priceless CD of all of Nashville's best pickers doing old gospel hymns, found in old Baptist hymnals, and doing it my style -- with fiddle, banjo, mandolin, etc..

I love that CD and loved it even more a week or so later -- when (by chance -- HA!!) I was in an antique book store, and found an old Baptist Hymnal that had the words to many of these tunes, that were only done instrumentally on the CD.

I don't go to church these days, but I have found a few I might like to visit. What they do musically will not affect me. If I never find a church to connect with again, I guess I have to say it is ok, cause now I have both the music, and the words to connect together with some songs that have really made a difference to me, without any affiliaton to any one denomination.

If a denomination, or group can do the same, I will sit up and pay attention.

David

Sorry! Question is what hymnal or songbook do you use(that is if you use one) and what structured

formats or outline/elements in worship? By the way(pun intended), I am a member of The Hymn Society of the US and Canada and I have almost every hymnal of 20th and 21st Cent. including ecumenical/non-denominational hymnals like Hymns For the Family of God = Jeffery Bryan Leech and Fred Bock from Paragon Press in Nashville; Celebration Hymnal by Word and Integrity; Worship and Rejoice from Hope Publishing, Carol Stream , Ill. Mark, this also includes you if interested. Wayne and John, Rochelle, Peter W,

Walter, Chris G, etc.

Is no one interested? BTW, was there ever a music notation version of Sing Along The Way published and does anyone have a copy?

Maybe I can start a thread for all former TWI members. I'll begin with myself and church. I serve a ELCA congregation that uses the following hymnals for worship : 1958 Service Book and Hymnal(red), 1978 Lutheran Book of Worship(green), Hymnal Supplement 1991(maroon/burgundy), 1995 With One Voice(blue),

and 2003 Renewing Worship songbook(rainbow multi-colored) for traditional liturgical worship(Matins, Eurcharist, Vespers, Compline, Baptism, Marriage, Burial, Ordination, Healing, Church dedication). For Contemporary, we use music from Hillsongs, Casting Crowns, Newsboys, Sonic Flood, Delirious, Marty Haugen, David Haas, Integrity, Maranatha, Vineyard. So, now answer the poll I have posted and this includes

Christian Research Fellowship, CFF, Another Way Ministries, Spirit and Truth Fellowship/CES, TWI-1(Galen's

group), Living Epistle Society, and yes, even The Way International(Rosie and the gang at New Knoxville).

Don't feel shy, any takers like Temple Lady, Goey, Mike, Allan, OM

I am quite fond of plainsong. I find that it enhances the liturgy rather than distracts from it, as a lot of the selections in the modern hymnals do. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to get a choir schola trained, and so it is difficult to see good chant in the typical parish church.

For a good example of this type of antiphon, please try the song embedded here:

BTW, the link, if the embedded player doesn't show up, is here.

Or, in honor of All Saints Day:

Again, if the player doesn't show up, the chant is located here

Thomas...

Yes, there was a sheet-music version of "sing along the way" published, and I think I still have a copy in my files somewhere. It was 8½ x 11 sheets punched for a 3-ring binder, so it's kinda thick.

On the flip side... I would love to get my hands on a copy of the 1978 Lutheran Hymnal... I grew up Lutheran and loved the song service, until sometime in the 80's when they "modernized"... eeeewww. The melodies of the songs were all over the place. It didn't sound like church anymore. ((sigh))

Wanna trade?

THW

Edited by TheHighWay

Mark, although I pm'ed you, thanks for your input. In our traditional services we use plainsong, germanic chorales, Scandinavian and Baltic hymnody, Anglican chant and British folk hymns, Sacred Harp shaped hymns, Moravian, Taize, psalm tones, Eastern Orthodox chant, Gospel songs, Negro spirituals, Native Asian,

African, hispanic/Carribean. Our Contemporary Ensemble has guitars, drumset/percussion, keyboards,

trumpets, saxes, flute, harmonica, and autoharp, as well as mandolin.

Wow that covers quite the gamut--i have become particularly enamored of Sacred Harp/ Shape Note singing in the last few years. There are 'sings' in my area that are quite a community (not necessarily church) event.

The melodies/harmonies can and do give me chills

Although I answered Mark personally, I also like plainsong, Anglican, and Russian Orthodox chant, plus Taize

and psalm tones from Lutheran, Episcopalian, Roman Catholic, Presbyterian, and UCC(New Centuary Hymnal). We also do Stations of the Cross, Tenebrae, and Lessons and Carols. Still haven't heard from Temple Lady(Mormon/LDS), Goey(JW), or Mark, Allan, Oldiesman, Mister Hamoroni, Belle, Rascal, Robes,

Ted Ferrell, Dean Ellenwood, Cliff Adelman, Milford Bowen, Walter Cummins, Peter Wade, John Lynn, John Schoenheit, Paolo Emilio Dionisio, Ralph Graham, Ralph Dubofsky, Joe Fair, Wayne Clapp, John Shroyer, Rochelle and Mary Ann Hendricks, Stevie Kay, Helen Sudduth, Kevin and Sara Gigou, Harve or even Rosie. Come on guys, I promise to give you this time a fair shake and will allow you to have the last word.

PS, The first catergory includes Eastern Orthodox, Roman Catholic, Methodist, Presbyterian, Reformed/UCC,

and Moravian. 2nd includes Adventist, Jehovah Witness, Plymouth Brethern. 3rd includes Unity, Unitarian,

Scientology, and Latter Day Saints/Mormons. Just wanted to clarify the various groups.

mstar, I went to a "sing" at a Primitive Baptist church that sings in the style of Sacred Harp. They strongly disavowed the label, point out the (very subtle) differences in what they do. Nevertheless, all the elements are there. Most of the melodies are reworked into modal-type melodies. They are often sung over a drone or ground bass. The singing style is high, steely, "balls out". I think it's awesome.

Mark & Thomas, I too dig antiphonal music. But I also dig the nutso polyphony of Gesualdo. I have a recording of his Tennebrae exquisitely sung by the incomparable Hilliard Ensemble. wow.

In our services we have abandoned hymnals, using overhead transparencies. 60% of our selections are from the Baptist or Broadman Hymnal. The remaining 40% are a mix of camp meeting songs, Southern gospel & contemporary "praise & worship".

Personally, I find precious little to like in contemporary p&w. It's a musical & lyrical wasteland with all the depth of a Coke commercial.

mstar, shape note isn't really a style. It's just a notation style used to make harmony easier...at least ostensibly. Mennonites use shape note hymnals, for example, but their smooth, reticent & very blended singing style couldn't be any farther removed from Sacred Harp style. Nevertheless, the "shape note" term has come to be used for that unique Appalachian singing style.

Thomas-

Yes, there used to be and still may be a notated form of the Sing Along the Way Book for sale in the Way Bookstore at HQ. Most of the hymns can be found in other hymnals, but to my knowledge, not every single one. Of course, some were written by Way people, and those would not be available anywhere out side of the "Holy Realm." They started making the sheet music for Sing Along the Way available to accompianists with the old Brown Book in the 80's. The old Blue Book of the mid to late seventies had no sheet music available outwardly, just under the table, so to speak.

I sporadically attend a conteporary praise & worship church. Mainly to keep my wife company. I was never keen on pep rallies in high school, and I always feel like I'm at a pep rally for Jesus when I go.

But...

when I sing in the car, shower, or at home by myself I prefer Martin Luther's classics O For a Thousand Tongues to Sing, and Open My Eyes That I may See. And one of my favorite hymns is a French Christmas Carol I learned in Junior high school.

Yes I'm strange. That's how I got here. :-)

Peace

JerryB

christian hymnals were brought over by the Scotts in the very early days..It became mountain music..there is a movie out today called,"The Songwriter". I think its around 4 yrs old now..very worth renting....my mothers family wwere in a Christian singing group and I group up hearing these types of music song by them..made my hair rise....like:On the wings of a snow white dove"!!!!!!! He touched me!!

A Baptist church I attended in my post-TWI experience used a hymnal called Hymns for the Living Church. Two Presbyterian (PCA and OPC) churches used the Trinity Hymnal. I recently purchased a CD titled “Psalms of the Trinity Psalter, Volume 2,” which, I think, consists more or less of an extraction of Psalter pieces from the Trinity Hymnal.

Sample clip of "The Lord's my Shepherd" from “Psalms of the Trinity Psaler, Volume 2,” from www.oldchristianmusic.com . (See the entry at www.cyberhymnal.org for the words to the piece.)

Click here for a page at www.oldchristianmusic.com having links to samples of all the Psalter pieces on that CD:

With a bit of unfulfilled longing, I’m rather taken with some stuff attributed to Ambrose of Milan (Augustin's mentor) at www.cyberhymnal.org . (I haven’t heard anyone, anywhere, sing any of it.)

A figure in hymnody I find intriguing is John Mason Neale, whose significance largely arises from translating a number of pieces from Latin to English.

Edited by Cynic

I've been going to a Pentacostal churches for the last 10 years where we sing contemporary praise and worship songs.

I've been going to a non denominational church and they too sing contemporary praise and worship songs. Every once in awhile they throw in an old church hymnal. And they have only overhead projection as well.

Just for thought.... I liked the Sing along the Way songs, but for goodness sakes.. they sang them over and over and over ...... Those songs are embedded and etched in my mind. It was so refreshing to hear some new contemporary stuff :) I also listen to many different Christain artists as well. Steven Curtis Chapman, Michael W. Smith to name a few. I probably didn't anwser your question, but that's the best I can do :(

Have a sunny day B)

christian hymnals were brought over by the Scotts in the very early days..It became mountain music
I would love to get my hands on some of those--I am familiar with and always been drawn to mountain music and was aware that it was handed down through the generations, but didn't know the 'how' Even when my religious sensibilities were splattered those songs still held an appeal, and reached me---I'd love to 'read them in the original' ;)

Maybe there is some genetic memory or something, my ancestors were Scots and I recently found out that my great grandparents had an in home church with one of those little organs for over fifty years in the mid 1800's. I find mountain music beautiful and often profound in its simplicity and honesty, which is not to say that I dont appreciate higher church music. I do, I just am unsure of the technical names that the different types are specifically called.

Personally, I find precious little to like in contemporary p&w. It's a musical & lyrical wasteland with all the depth of a Coke commercial.

I agree with Evan on this one....I went to a Vineyard church about 10 years ago for a few months and it was ok at whipping up emotional responses, but hollow. The more I listened it seemed many of the songs ( has anyone else noticed this or am i nuts?) were built in subtle sexual innuendo and overtones

Hymnals

actually have a few

I have the Salvation Army Hymn book

I have the Hymns of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

I have a small hymnal used for the armed forces about 30 years ago

I have a scottish Psalter around here somewhere (think I'll go find that)

Lots of CD"s love "classic" hymns --"precious Lord" "in the garden" "victory in Jesus" "all Creatures of Our God and King" ---Easter Anthems and Christmas Carols are special favorites....