GreaseSpot Cafe

now you will know everything

Jade

i know that some of you will find SOMETHING wrong with some thing said on here... i just thought it was cute so dont go getting all upset.

For those of you who just thought you knew everything,

here's a refresher course...

The liquid inside young conconuts can be used as a substitute for blood plasma.

No piece of paper can be folded in half more than seven (7) times.

Donkeys kill more people annually than plane crashes.

You burn more calories sleeping than you do watching television.

Oak trees do not produce acorns until they are fifty (50) years of age or older.

The first product to have a bar code was Wrigley's gum.

The king of hearts is the only king without a mustache.

American Airlines saved $40,000 in 1987 by eliminating one (1) olive from each salad served in first-class.

Venus is the only planet that rotates clockwise. (Since Venus is normally associated with women, what does this tell you!)

Apples, not caffeine, are more efficient at waking you up in the morning.

Most dust particles in your house are made from dead skin.

The first owner of the Marlboro Company died of lung cancer.

So did the first "Marlboro Man."

Walt Disney was afraid of mice.

Pearls melt in vinegar.

The three most valuable brand names on earth: Marlboro, Coca Cola, and Budweiser, in that order.

It is possible to lead a cow upstairs....... but not downstairs

A duck's quack doesn't echo, and no one knows why.

Dentists have recommended that a toothbrush be kept at least six (6) feet away from a toilet to avoid airborne particles resulting from the flush. (I keep my toothbrush in the living room now!)

And the best for last......Turltes can breath through thier butts. (I know some people like that don't YOU?)

Now you know everything there is to know.

The only comment I have now is really unconfirmed, but regarding the brand name item... I just heard yesterday that Pepsico has overtaken Coca Cola as the more valuable company in terms of market value, or stock value, or something. Anyway, whetever it is in, it is the first time in over a hundred years of existence that Pepsi had overtaken Coke. I guess that doesnt necessarily mean that Pepsi is the more popular drink. Anyone have better details on that than I do?

Krys, that is so cool! I didn't know that - Of course I Googled it and found the coolest website. This must be one of the ones that craiggers got all up in arms about.... Which Way Does Your Monkey Swing?

My Oak Tree is only about 18 years old and it produces tons of acorns! Vixen loves to eat 'em and fights the squirrels for 'em. Maybe it's just an above average tree. :biglaugh:

i know that some of you will find SOMETHING wrong with some thing said on here... i just thought it was cute so dont go getting all upset.

While these are fun, it's still important to make sure that the facts are correct. It's not getting all upset, it's just making sure that I'm not part of the problem or passing along incorrect information - some people will believe anything. That's how Mary Magdalene got to be called a slut and a prostitute for so many years..... :blink:

No piece of paper can be folded in half more than seven (7) times.
I had no problem folding a long length of toilet paper 8 times.
A duck's quack doesn't echo, and no one knows why.

Of course it does. Mythbusters covered this one and so did Snopes:

http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/duckecho.htm

I can't speak authoritatively on the others, but there several that I would question. When in doubt, check it on snopes.com

Sam dear,

Not only do Oak trees wait for a full production of acorns at approximately 50yrs of age, once you roast the acorn and the shell splits for you to get to the nut, you then must boil the meat/nut because of its acidic nature is harmful to humans until its boiled out. The water left behind from the boiling of the nut is used to soak and tan animal hides naturally.

But

After the nut is boiled out it is great to be pounded into flour for cooking etc..

Digi

The most deadly spider in the world is the Daddy Long Legs, with poison eight times more powerful than that of the deadly Gaboon Viper and the Black Mamba. The only reason there have been no reported fatalities from the deadly Daddy Long Legs, is because it's mandibles (jaws) are so tiny that they cannot even pierce a human's skin, let alone even get a hold of it...

I had no problem folding a long length of toilet paper 8 times.

I prefer to wad mine. :biglaugh:

Maybe there's a certain type of Oak tree that only produces acorns after fifty years, but I know mine was planted in the front yard when the house was built 15 years ago, it was about two or three years old at the time. The tree is less than twenty years old and puts out a motherload of acorns.

Curious, I Googled oak tree acorn production and all of these links confirm that oak trees produce acorns in less than fifty years. I had to do a specific search on fifty years to find the species that takes fifty years to produce.

This one produces acorns in only five years: Gobbler Sawtooth Oak

Floridata Oak Tree Information

Facts on Oak Trees

White Oak Acorn Production at 20 Years

Twenty-Five to Thirty Year Acorn Production

Umm, the Daddy Long legs thing is another myth. I had heard that claim once in the past and looked it up and found it to be false. In this case, because I was being a smart aleck, I typed up what I wrote and just made it up along the way. But, I have provided a link that is not www.urbanegends.com (the myth is exposed there also though), but rather a different site about spiders. Here ya go, check it out..

http://spiders.ucr.edu/daddylonglegs.html

JL

Belle ........ How did I know you would pick up the Oak tree ..............lol

Even on your sites that you noted it says that THE WHITE OAK begins to start production of acorns at 20 years. Its there beginning its the starting of growing into their adolescent years, they don't mature to at least 50 and their acorn crops are unreliable from year to year until time.

FLORIDA OAK TREE site, the other oaks did leave no indication as to when they started production that I was able to see.

The Gobber Oak prouces very small acorns and onl produces in 5 plus years in nursery conditions.

Northern Red Oak produces small acorns also in 10-12 years in nursery conditions

The Overcup Oak begins to produce at 15 plus years and beginnings aren't ever a full crop on an Oak tree.

FACTS ON OAK TREES site

-- Oak trees can start producing acorns when they are 20 years old, but sometimes can go all the way to 50 years for the first production. By the time the tree is 70 to 80 years old it will produce thousands of acorns.

The Sawtooth Oak which isn't a natural but hybrid is noted in your last site mentioned and will only grow in the Southeast of the US for any of those interested, it must be kept in nursery like conditions and will not benefit ay states outside the South East of the USA.. Its oak production is said to be small but it is a start.

In my above post I put ............Full Production of the Oak tree at 50.............. Its not to say oaks don't produce earlier than 50 years. Full maturation on most oaks is truly at about 50. Some Oaks do or might start to produce at 20 in the wild but they do not produce a full load so to speak, they are still in adolescent years. Sometimes during these adolescent years some oaks will produce one year and not even produce the next or for up to another 10 yrs. But, at 50 they are well seasoned and producing annually and by the time they get to be 80 and above they are producin thousands of acorns.

Thus SAM you are absoultely correct in educating Natural Acorn production at 50 years for that is truly what you can count on the Oak Tree world......... you can bank on it. You can always go to a 50 yr plus tree in the autumn and find nuts to use. You can't always go to a twenty year old tree and find this.

Truly amazing tree. ........ the most amazing thing to me isn't the acorns but what the Oak provides in natural ability to tan animal hides for hunters etc. ... especially during the ice age civilizations throughout eurasia, they relied upon this tree quite heavily for food, attracting game, tanning hides and making dug out boats.

Really amazing tree among other trees that I have studied for sometime in reference to the ice age and its usages that we have now forgetten millinia later.

Digi

Edited by Digitalis

Thus SAM you are absoultely correct in educating Natural Acorn production at 50 years for that is truly what you can count on the Oak Tree world......... you can bank on it. You can always go to a 50 yr plus tree in the autumn and find nuts to use. You can't always go to a twenty year old tree and find this.

True, but you also can't go to a tree that produces acorns and say that it's at least fifty years old. ;)

That's what made me question that line in Sam's post. I know my tree isn't that old and I know that it produces a motherload of acorns every year. Her post says nothing about full production or maturity level, so naturally I was curious and wanted to look it up. Like I said, I've no doubt that perhaps some species take fifty years, just that not all do.

The tannin information is neat. Thanks for sharing it. It's pretty wild that it's that strong yet still safe for animals to eat. I know Vixen love those acorns and probably frustrates the pea turkey out of the squirrels by finding their hiding spots for them. :D

And ya know, as an aside, when the "mast crop" is really styrong in the summer and fall, in the deep oak woods, you can count on large antlers on the deer. A "mast crop" you might ask? Well, that means acorns. Deer love 'em, and, it helps their antlers grow big and strong.

"In fact, if a buck deer fails to eat just one acorn during the summer season, he will now be able to grow antlers for three years!"

Belle,

How many tons of Acorns your tree weighs or tons it produces in acorns I don't know, but I did give Sam the benefit of the doubt that she was discussing the standard Oak which follows the maturation of the acorn at 50 years and not tryng to prove Sam wrong in agreeing with her in my first post. She is technically correct.

I really know my trees.

Digi