GreaseSpot Cafe

W.C. Fields Training

Oakspear

Martindale decided, sometime in the late nineties, to send in-residence Way Corps out to live with Corps who were "out on the field", maybe running a limb or a region, for a portion of their training. As he's talking about it on a Sunday night tape, he realizes that he can make a joke out of the name: The Way Corps Field Training program, and starts making WC Fields jokes, and ends by calling it the WC Fields Training program. Everybody gets a big laugh.

Except in the next Way magazine there's an article about the program, which they mention that Martindale "in his wisdom" has named the WC Field Training program! And Corps that I encounter call it, with a straight face, the WC Field Training program!

Was everybody too scared to ask the MOG if he was joking?

Edited by Oakspear

They weren't too SCARED.

They lacked the wit to detect a joke.

They were selected and trained to follow orders INTHINKINGLY.

So, when lcm announces the name of a program,

that's the name no matter how ridiculous.

If lcm had announced a new 2-week class

called the "Abundant Dogsh** of the Prevailing Household",

they would have believed there was a class with that name.

(Here, stand still a minute while I shave your head.)

Another example is when the MOG would mispronounce something, everybody would fall in line and mispronouce it the same way.

Martindale was teaching from the OT and came upon the word "rereward" - it was actually an archaic spelling of REARward, but Martindale pronounced it re-reward, as in reward again. I actually heard teachings on how God "re-rewards" us based on this stupidity.

Or how many people thought that pleroo was pronounced pleroko, or exegeomai pronouned exegeckomai because Wierwille had trouble with the two "o"s in a row?

Edited by Oakspear

Another example is when the MOG would mispronounce something, everybody would fall in line and mispronouce it the same way.

Martindale was teaching from the OT and came upon the word "rereward" - it was actually an archaic spelling of REARward, but Martindale pronounced it re-reward, as in reward again. I actually heard teachings on how God "re-rewards" us based on this stupidity.

Or how many people thought that pleroo was pronounced pleroko, or exegeomai pronouned exegeckomai because Wierwille had trouble with the two "o"s in a row?

The re-reward business actually started with Wierwille.

And the pronunciation of the Greek requires a glottal stop between vowels not elided into a diphthong, which is fairly well approximated by the "ck" that Wierwille used. We don't have the same considertion in English, although consider the differences between "reel" and "reelect" or "coop" and "cooperate." We tend to fill the doubled vowels with another consonant, as well (reYelect or coWoperate). If you try to pronounce "reelect" or "cooperate" by simply stopping the sound with your throat, you would be using a glottal stop.

George

GSG - Its been years since I have been spotted in a dipthong, although I won't deny (pronounced de nye) ever wearing (pronounced ware ing) one.

I have pronounced it re-reward since I first read it (in the Bible) and have never had a problem with it. Where is your source on the proper pronunciation from?