GreaseSpot Cafe

Live Chat

pawtucket

Observasions from a 13 year chat addict.

The FlashChat is almost impossible for me to set up and I'm a geek to the point of building my own computers. It uses confusing lingo not standard to most chat programs, either java based or IRC unix based. You have to change more than just the background and it took about 10 tries before the text I was clicking on to change color actually did. It didn't change to the color I really told it to, but at least it changed. Unfortunately the color for a few lines below it changed EVERY time as I tried to get the text changed and I never hit that one to change. *sigh*

Paw, please keep the Live Chat or old chat as an option to the FlashChat. It's horrible in my option and the lag last night was so bad I gave up. I went into the Live Chat and old Chat at same time by using two browser windows, but since there is no link at the bottom showing who's in them and only the one to the new FlashChat, most aren't going in there to check who's around.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you HAP I will definately try it ................... I am sorry it seems so simple to you and challenged for me. I have never learned so much about pointing, clicking, copying and pasting in my life as I have since I have been here at GSC.

My computer days were all done on DOS ............ this is all new to me hon.

Digi

• 2 weeks later...

Paw,

with all due respect...the new chatroom stinks. It is so user UNfriendly, it has taken the fun out of it for me.

It's the color thing mostly - everyone can choose their own color for background, so depending upon what color a chatter uses as his/her font, you may or not be able to read what they write. It's frustrating as hell...not to mention, there are no sound effects.

it's been nice, but i may even be forced to take up the telephone...sigh.

love ya!

ex-chatter-nellie

p.s. if ya ever change back to something fun to use, let me know please.

It's the color thing mostly - everyone can choose their own color for background, so depending upon what color a chatter uses as his/her font, you may or not be able to read what they write.

I agree about the background color. If it were a white, or light gray one,

most folks chosen colors for their text would show up;

To everyone there. All the time. :)

When you enter the chatroom now, there is a message that says "Try the new "Boring Bland" theme if you're into colored chat text. If this is your first time here, you're already using it. :)

the default screen is now white, with black text. If you enter for the first time, that is what you will get. If you have been there before, you need to select that theme. It is the first one in the list that comes up when you click the arrows to the right of the top button on the first Options screen. Originally the button said "Macintosh" something. It may still say that on your screen, or it may say "Windows"

I know some don't like to read rules and help notes, but GreaseyTech has fixed the color problem if people will just read the note at the top of the screen when they come in.

For what it is worth (which isn't much), I hate the livechat room, it takes a full 5 minutes to load on my dialup connection, and I have little plans to use it.

~HAP

:asdf: After trying for sometime to enter the flashchat room I finally succeeded. I found it to be somewhat different to navigate than what has been here in the past. But not too difficult for someone as computer illiterate as myself.

Sharon, I found the easiest way to enter flashchat was to install the website address in my favorites window and enter from there, rather than the forums. Clicking on the link here in the forums was causing my browser to stop working. I also found the room to load faster using the aol browser versus internet explorer. I hope this works for you.

Sharon, I found the easiest way to enter flashchat was to install the website address in my favorites window and enter from there, rather than the forums. Clicking on the link here in the forums was causing my browser to stop working. I also found the room to load faster using the aol browser versus internet explorer. I hope this works for you.

LittleHawk -- seems to work best for me too.

I'm using Safari (not IE, or AOL), but I took your suggestion, and got in there,

and had no problems (as previously) when I went in through the Forums.

Putting the room in Favourites seems to work best.

Thanks!! :)

ok - got the boring bland thing figured out, and i'm so glad it's the default for people entering for the first time. i'll give chat another try.

greasy tech - in your automatic message, it might help to tell folks HOW to get the boring bland so they don't have to come to this thread and sift through the posts to find HAP's explanation on how to use the options button...just a friendly suggestion.

hawkster - thanks for the tip. i'm using the link saved in favorites now too.

:wave: I have been in and out of both chat rooms while reading through some of the forums for about and hour now. Something I noticed.....no one seems to chat much anymore. Another thing I noticed with even having both chatrooms open the flashchatroom reloads twice as fast as does Live Chat. I wondered if someone here has figured out how to make the Live Chat load faster. Perhaps its my old wore out Gateway.

I haven't figured a faster load on livechat either, I did update my Java, but that had o benefit, or perhaps even made it slower. To be fair, this old computer is at the slow end of most minimum requirements, so that may be it.

WARNING- I have NO idea what I am doing on my OWN computer, so if you don't want to risk doing the following idea, don't do it! I am responsible for my own muckups, but will NOT be held responsible for YOURS! LOL

Flashchat- One thing that was frustrating me and others was the slow rate at which our typing would appear on the screen. I found the control panel for Flash, finally, and I cleared all Flash site cookies, even GS's. This threw away all my flashchat settings, but it DRAMATICALLY increased the speed my typing is reproduced on the screen.

I am afraid to try and walk others through it, but if you want to play with doing this, do a Google search using the words - slow typing flashchat - found info on where that control panel is. I think this link should do it also:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/document...r07.html#117717

One other chatter tried it last night, and was able to get back just fine, but it did not help their speed they said.

After deleting the stored visited Flash websites, I came to GS's Flashchat then logged out and went back to the control panel. I edited the new GS Flash site to allow more space for the cookies. I don't think that was necessary, but I did it anyway. Well, it works for the moment for me! that is all I know.

~HAP

Edited by HAPe4me

greasy tech - in your automatic message, it might help to tell folks HOW to get the boring bland so they don't have to come to this thread and sift through the posts to find HAP's explanation on how to use the options button...just a friendly suggestion.

Sounds like a good idea. I'll throw it in.

As for dial-up connections, not much I can do. Hopefully you're using a browser that will cache the chat program and speed up subsequent sessions.

As for it loading faster from a direct link rather than from within the forum, there's nothing special about the link in the forum, except it specifies that the link be opened in a new window. I suspect browser specific issues with this type of link.

BB,

If you're still having problems, PM me and I'll see if I can help you out. Hopefully the lastest changes cleared it up enough for you to use it.

GT

GreasyTech- Several have expressed concern (oh allright, they complained) about a lag or delay when typing into the input box. Also a delay or freeze. I sometimes get a popup that says something about "This Flash 8 movie is using a script that may make your computer fail to respond" It gives me an option to continue using this script or not. After choosing either one, the room generally freezes for me and I have to close out and return.

I see that if you right click on the "welcome (name) bar" at the top, there is an option called Quality, and choices there of low, medium, high. Does anyone know what those settings accomplish? The default setting is High quality, and changing this setting is not retained by the flashcookies when I come back to the room the next time.

I am experimenting with changing mine to medium. so far it seems to add speed, and I have not found any features not available yet while using that setting. I also did not get that popup so far. I will let you know if that is still the case when there are lots of users in the room.

~HAP

Hi Catcup.

Live Chat is the link that's available at the top when you're not logged in. It's the older chat room (which many of us prefer with the white background and choice of text color and sounds). Once you login to GSC, you will see the option at the top for FlashChat which is the new chatroom (which is giving some of us fits) :)

Hope to see you in the chat soon!

Hap: I'll try the right clicking and see if that helps me. I type fast and am having a problem with the chat text dropping words and entire lines when I type.

J.

Well, it seems that those "Quality settings" help a little, but only a little, and only for awhile. If you stay in the room long enough, with a 56k modem connection, the best solution seems to be to log out of Flash, and then come back. I am not that fast a typist, but I can easily overrun the lines at times, and have to wait for them to appear so I can see if what I typed is what I intended.

Quality seems to primarily change the quality of the displayed animation of the avatars. This seems to hold off the typing lag for awhile, but once there are 4 or more pages of public log, 56k modems just don't do the job.

Maybe I have found a reason to go to some form of highspeed connection. I never had a need for it before. It is rare that I download files of any large size, and at my age, I am just not in that much of a hurry to see a webpage, 10 seconds is good enough.

But for my chat addiction I may just have to do it, either that or just take more pee breaks and excuse myself from the room for a moment to reload the room.

~HAP