GreaseSpot Cafe

New TWI class in March

skyrider

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder why they don't just redo PFAL, with some new teachers, tweaking? Seems like most of the people still IN are old timers. Many of them may stay because they loved PFAL so. I would think there would be huge rejoicing if it was brought back, so their kids could take it etc.

Seems silly to ne to use anything of WAP.

I guess they are still enthralled by LCM.

From what I have heard about the "new" class is they took a syllabus (I had assumed it was WAP syllabus) and revised it. This was from active Corpse.

That sounds about right.......since twi has NO research department.

Tweaked a bit.....and pawned off as a step forward.

:biglaugh:

taking another class like that is sumthin i dotn think i would even joke about.... i hated taking the first two, i would never subject myself to another one. damn near slept thru the first ones..... had it not been so cold and my dad poking me to keep me awake. :dance:

I am really excited about taking the new class. I have only been going back to felloship for about two months now but I am a Int class grad on the WAP. I am going to retake the fnd class for a second time. How about some positive experiences from some older pfal class grads. I think we hear enough negative stuff about Martindales class. I know there has to be some positive stuff about the first time you took the PFAL. Everyone around the country is all excited about all of them starting on March 1. I wont be posting for the next couple weeks because I will be in the class. Oh and I asked my BC and there is a new research dept. now. so Buya!

I am really excited about taking the new class. I have only been going back to felloship for about two months now but I am a Int class grad on the WAP. I am going to retake the fnd class for a second time. How about some positive experiences from some older pfal class grads. I think we hear enough negative stuff about Martindales class. I know there has to be some positive stuff about the first time you took the PFAL. Everyone around the country is all excited about all of them starting on March 1. I wont be posting for the next couple weeks because I will be in the class. Oh and I asked my BC and there is a new research dept. now. so Buya!

I look forward to hearing your reviews, Ricky.

On the research dept., I'd be interested to hear some more about it: what kind of projects they are working on, etc. Seriously.

They have, in the past, done some tremendous work. Are you familiar with their Concordance to the Pes hitta Aramaic? (I don't know if it's sold or not anymore) -- the work is fairly widely known and is actually well respected, from what I gather. If they are able to do some honest work like that, I'd be interested in seeing it.

Of course, if, otoh, all they do is rehash old stuff, then that's a completely different story.

ok... positive about the pfal class and the other one..... ................

i got to stay up late on school nights

there usually was good snacks

i hung out with the cute boys that were made to take it too.

:love3::love3::love3::love3::love3:

is that enough positive cuz thats all i remeber that i liked . ............... ....

I think we hear enough negative stuff about Martindales class. I know there has to be some positive stuff about the first time you took the PFAL.
No...we don't hear enough. :evilshades:

Oh, and btw, does your "leadership" know that you're posting here? Posting here is part of why I was booted out of TWI

I look forward to hearing your reviews, Ricky.

On the research dept., I'd be interested to hear some more about it: what kind of projects they are working on, etc. Seriously.

They have, in the past, done some tremendous work. Are you familiar with their Concordance to the Pes hitta Aramaic? (I don't know if it's sold or not anymore) -- the work is fairly widely known and is actually well respected, from what I gather. If they are able to do some honest work like that, I'd be interested in seeing it.

Of course, if, otoh, all they do is rehash old stuff, then that's a completely different story.

I think Catcup had brought up a very good point about twi research. None of the people who were in the research department were schooled or degreed to do research. Just because someone can open up a concordance and put their twist on a definition doesn't make them a researcher. IMHO :dance:

Ricky,

I sincerely hope for your sake that this new class contains something worth listening to... however, it does concern me that you seemed to enjoy Martindale's class (at least well enough that you are excited about a new version). I had a very hard time sitting through that mish-mash of unfinished thoughts and non-sequitors... whew.

BUT... you want to hear something positive about the old PFAL class? Okay, it was FAR more understandable and rational than Martindale's class! Nevermind the fact that Vic stole most of the ideas, and lied about his own credentials, and that several key concepts fall apart if you follow them to their logical conclusions, and that he blamed bright lights for his eye-cancer... at least you felt like you were learning something helpful and could laugh (or at least roll your eyes) at his jokes. Oh, and the cookies and coffee were usually really good, too. And most of the people were wonderful. The best part of the whole experience.

I also need to "second" Oakspear's question: does your leadership know you are posting here? I, too, was booted from twi because they found out I was posting here. Of course, there was that letter that Harve Platig asked to have posted here concerning the treatment of Mrs. Wierwille... And there is that, "we're friendlier now" face that they are trying to portray... Guess that makes all the bad stuff "go away". Sorry, I just think if it is okay for Believers to post here now, those of us who got "Mark and Avoid" over it, deserve a written apology from Rosalie Rivenbark herself.

Putting together another foundational class was not only predictable but essential in order to generate new revenue. After Martindale killed Veepee's cash cow, they desperately needed to come up with something "new" in order to maintain their plush lifestyles.

If they were genuinely interested in the furtherence of the gospel, they would disband and tell their followers to find a good church to attend.

Putting together another foundational class was not only predictable but essential in order to generate new revenue. After Martindale killed Veepee's cash cow, they desperately needed to come up with something "new" in order to maintain their plush lifestyles.

Exactly Groucho. My guess is that the new class will be a lot like vp's. I say that because of who is in charge. They(the ones in charge) heard a lot of vp's teachings and that was the class that they say changed lives and see what the rewards were of the orginal class a "cash cow". After all wernt these the same people that "supported loy craig martindale and all he did until he was caught?

Edited by justloafing

I think Catcup had brought up a very good point about twi research. None of the people who were in the research department were schooled or degreed to do research. Just because someone can open up a concordance and put their twist on a definition doesn't make them a researcher. IMHO :dance:

Well, not meaning to defend TWI, but their Aramaic interlinear and concordance (that were developed by TWI) were groundbreaking. Sorry, but that's the way it is. I understand that they weren't schooled as researchers, but it is what it is.

An interesting note from a site not that complimentary of TWI says:

It recently has been alleged that the HRV is a plagiarism of the Way Interlinear Bible. Researcher Kathryn Kern contacted the people involved, and has done comparison of Trimm's HRV with passages of the Way International Interlinear. I'm sure the investigating authorities will also look seriously at that issue. The original Way translation was authorized by Paul Victor Wierwille, a man who openly denied the Deity of the Messiah, and authored the book "Jesus is not God".
What James Trimm may not have realized is that the Way Research team did try to remove some of Wierwille's bias from their version, and according to Dr. John Juedes, were fairly successful.

link

If you take a look at this site: link, you will note an online Aramaic-lexicon and concordance. Please note the copyright. (btw, the link here is a "tinyurl" link, because the original will be edited out by this BBS' foul language editor. The original is (remove the spaces) http: // www.pes hitta.org/lexicon/. This site is sponsored by Paul Younan, who is a fairly widely recognized Aramaic scholar (and, btw, is a member of the Assyrian Church of the East, whose patriarchy is aligned with the Patriarch of Antioch. This church, btw, is in negotiations to restore full communion with the Vatican). He is no VPW apologist. But he still recognized the quality of the work done by the TWI Research Team in Aramaic.

A slam against those folks is, imho, slamming some good people who tried to do the best they could under some pretty oppresive circumstances (at least as far as academic integrity is concerned).

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to defend TWI research (c'mon, me, the token Catholic defend TWI's position on something????) -- but they did do some good work in Aramaic. In fact, the Aramaic stuff is the only TWI material I have left. And I have no intention of getting rid of it any time soon.

Well, not meaning to defend TWI, but their Aramaic interlinear and concordance (that were developed by TWI) were groundbreaking. Sorry, but that's the way it is. I understand that they weren't schooled as researchers, but it is what it is.

Mark,

You're confusing the Research Dept they had at ONE time-

that DID go and get training in Koine Greek and Aramaic and so on,

and were chased off between 1985 and 1990-

and the staff they have NOW-

who have NO formal training in either, or ANY academic

discipline related to Bible research?

They're in a fix on that, too.

If they wanted to GET people some,

A) It would take at least 5 years to raise up an initial crop of researchers

B) They'd need a candidate group smart enough to keep up with the work

of being trained at formal universities

C) If they FOUND smart people and exposed them to outside ideas

for that long, they'd wake up and leave!

So, twi doesn't HAVE trained researchers at this time.

Those they ONCE had were driven off.

Those they might train up are unable to keep up,

and twi is unable to expose them to free ideas or they'd lose the trainees.

:)

Edited by WordWolf

WordWolf, you beat me to the punch...

I'm trying to remember the name of the guy who studied under some of the leading experts in Aramaic, at the University of Chicago, and later he traveled to Europe and the Middle East to study old texts.

And didn't some of the research team actually go to college to study Greek?

It has been a Long, Long time since twi had that kind of scholar in their research department!

Mark,

You're confusing the Research Dept they had at ONE time-

that DID go and get training in Koine Greek and Aramaic and so on,

and were chased off between 1985 and 1990-

and the staff they have NOW-

who have NO formal training in either, or ANY academic

discipline related to Bible research?

They're in a fix on that, too.

If they wanted to GET people some,

A) It would take at least 5 years to raise up an initial crop of researchers

B) They'd need a candidate group smart enough to keep up with the work

of being trained at formal universities

C) If they FOUND smart people and exposed them to outside ideas

for that long, they'd wake up and leave!

So, twi doesn't HAVE trained researchers at this time.

Those they ONCE had were driven off.

Those they might train up are unable to keep up,

and twi is unable to expose them to free ideas or they'd lose the trainees.

:)

No, WW, I'm not. Those are the group of researchers I was referring to. And that was my point that I was trying to make to RickyG. Please review what I initially wrote (pay particular attention to the second and third paragraphs:

The group of folks that were employed in the early 80s did some genuinely good work.

You know me, I am not hesitant to criticize TWI at a moment's notice. But, in the case of their Aramaic work during the early '80s, they did some genuinely good work. If they are trying to recreate that, then the best of luck to them (that's the point I was making to RickyG) -- but if they simply re-hash old junk, then "research" dept or not, it will still be a joke.

From what I understand, the research department found error in TWI's dogma when it was measured against the actual content of scripture and for this reason they were canned. If TWI actually was to allow Biblical Research to take some precedence and admit where they're wrong (don't worry, I'm not holding my breath), then there might be some hope for the place. Allow me to repeat: I'm neither holding my breath nor buying ice skates to take on a trip to hell -- but anything is possible. Look at Armstrong's old group: they recognized the error in their ways after he died and are now considered by most to be a semi-orthodox group. Anything is possible. Just not bloody likely.

Edited by markomalley

I have no idea what the new department is working on now so I have to pleed ignorance. And again I am have just returned to fellowhip since my parents chose to leave in the late 90's. I did take Martindales class in and I did enjoy some of it very much. Other parts I found harsh or hard to swollow. Like I had said before Im a college student and I cannot put myself into the shoes of others whose experiences with TWI have been different. And I will never try to downplay others experiences. All I can tell is what I know and what I am experiencing. I am happy to say that since my return all my experiences have been great. And yes my FC knows that I do log on here and have posted. This is only my 11 post yet I have spent many a night surfing the memories of others. When I told him he didn't seem to care. I asked "dont you think I will go online and tell everybody what is going on in the ministry?" He responded "What in the world would you have to tell them. That were running a successful college fellowship and presenting the Word to those who want it." If anything else was going on I would be more than happy to share it and the first time I encounter a someting that leaves a bad taste in my mouth you better believe that I will let you know. And I was never pressured into retaking the class at all. I was actually a little suprised I am alud to take it being that I only recently came back and that they do know that I have been in the cafe. I was suprised because their acceptance didnt seem to fit with the stuff I read about. Or maybe I am just working with some really loving people. I dont know and agian I dont want to down play others experiences. I would really like to know what type of research is being done too. I am a classics major majoring in Greek and I think I might study some materials to learn how to really work the Word. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to really start? (beyond the biblical truths you must adhere to) haha. But That leads me to another topic. Does anybody really need to have a PHD in theology or a MDiv to work the WOrd. No I dont think that you do. You just have to have good teachers and a desire to get to the truth rather making the Word fit an already preconieved theology. That is where researches went wrong in the past (people using the allegorical method to make the Word fit the church.) Any suggestions. And I will let you knwo any developments.

Rick

Please forgive me,

I HAVE to put in some spaces or I'll be unable to read this.

(And some punctuation.)

==============

rickyg:

I have no idea what the new department is working on now, so I have to plead ignorance.

Again- I am have just returned to fellowhip, since my parents chose to leave in the late 90's.

I did take Martindale's class in and I did enjoy some of it very much.

Other parts I found harsh or hard to swallow. Like I had said before,

I'm a college student and I cannot put myself into the shoes of others whose experiences with TWI have been different.

And I will never try to downplay others experiences.

All I can tell is what I know and what I am experiencing. I am happy to say that-since my return- all my experiences have been great. And yes, my FC knows that I do log on here and have posted.

This is only my 11 post yet I have spent many a night surfing the memories of others. When I told him he didn't seem to care. I asked, "Don't you think I will go online and tell everybody what is going on in the ministry?" He responded, "What in the world would you have to tell them?

That we're running a successful college fellowship, and presenting the Word to those who want it?"

If anything else was going on I would be more than happy to share it,

and the first time I encounter something that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

you better believe that I will let you know.

I was never pressured into retaking the class at all.

I was actually a little suprised I am allowed to take it,

being that I only recently came back and that they do know that I have been in the cafe.

I was suprised, because their acceptance didn't seem to fit with the stuff I read about.

Or maybe I am just working with some really loving people.

I don't know and again I don't want to downplay others' experiences.

I would really like to know what type of research is being done too.

I am a classics major majoring in Greek and I think I might study some materials

to learn how to really work the Word. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to really start?

(Beyond the biblical truths you must adhere to) haha. But That leads me to another topic.

Does anybody really need to have a PHD in theology or a MDiv to work the Word?

No, I dont think that you do. You just have to have good teachers and a desire to get to the truth rather than making the Word fit an already preconceived theology.

That is where researchs went wrong in the past (people using the allegorical method

to make the Word fit the church.)

Any suggestions?

And I will let you know any developments.

Rick"