GreaseSpot Cafe

Following the Rules

ex10

I'm more of a rule-breaker and risk-taker than my husband, and I feel free to tweak recipes when I cook. (I'll pour a half-cup of coffee into my pot roast just because). If we need to get someplace fast, I drive. If you have all day...Mr. Tonto is your man. Yeah, we balance each other out.

But ex, you really got my attention when you mentioned Lyle. He's the real deal. Pat Green has a place up here, but your Lyle trumps my Pat anyday. :wink2:

Half a brain is better than no brain at all!

Seriously - we use both halves all the time - unless you've had severe brain damage ( being in TWI notwithstanding)

Ex10 - my hubby was in the military and he hates to see hats on heads inside any building. I gotta admit i'm not fond of it either. he really gets bent out of shape though.

Cooking can be formulaic or fun. I guess as long as it tastes good it really doesn't matter - I do suspect that chefs are initially improvisers tht take their newfound creations and then write down the formula for someone else to follow.

Vive La difference!

Cowboys who don't take their hat off inside are just following the rules. The rules for cowboys are just different than for cityfolk. Cowboys take their hat off for prayer, the national anthem, and when laying in a casket. They don't take their boots off even in the casket.

~HAP

Last month, I took daughter back to college after the christmas break. Needless to say, she had alot of stuff. Mom was with me. We couldn't find a parking place near the dorm entrance, (so what else is new.)

Daughter says, mom, I know a spot where we can get up real close to the front door of my dorm. Ok, says I. Show me where to go.

We weave through all these back alleys and finally get to a fire lane type road, with orange cones and a sawhorse thing that says "Road closed." I pull up, daughter says, "I'll get out and move the cones, you get the sawhorse." So anyways, we move all the cones and the sawhorse, pull in, and put it all back.

We pull right up to the dorm main entrance, and daughter says to Grandma: "If campus security says we gotta move, just tell them we do this all the time, and will be back ina minute, and we have coupons for Free Birds, (the local eatery everybody loves) we can share."

Grandma says to daughter: "How did you think of doing this?"

Daughter says: "Oh mom's the one who taught me to move the orange cones and the 'road closed' sign. I thought up the Freebird coupons all on my own." :)

Edited by ex10

Cowboys who don't take their hat off inside are just following the rules. The rules for cowboys are just different than for cityfolk. Cowboys take their hat off for prayer, the national anthem, and when laying in a casket. They don't take their boots off even in the casket.

~HAP

Hap - my hubby tells of this scene in a courtroom:

A man was in the courtroom with his cowboy hat on. The judge told him to remove it. He says, "Sir, I only remove my hat for God and my Momma."

This was of course followed by an order with the threat of contempt of court.....Most judges feel like they are God in their own courtrooms...

Whenever someone tells me I "have got to do something" I just reply with, "Says who?"

I used to tell my kids that if no one says you can't then you can. The only problem I have is that I have come to hate the metality that states, " its easier to ask forgiveness than permission." It seems to be way to passive aggressive for my tastes and can border on the manipulative. (Not always but sometimes..)

Edited by doojable

A man was in the courtroom with his cowboy hat on. The judge told him to remove it. He says, "Sir, I only remove my hat for God and my Momma."

This was of course followed by an order with the threat of contempt of court.....Most judges feel like they are God in their own courtrooms...

I can hear it now...with slow southern drawl..... :drink:

(Question: I clicked that quote thingee down in the right hand corner. Why didn't it post white in a box? How do I do that? And PLEASE remove your hat before you reply!!!)

Laughing at this thread!

I follow some rules.

I am at work on time and people who are late annoy the HECK out of me.

I am creative with cooking and have had FEW things turn out badly.

My hubs gets anal about things. Like at a store he goes up and down EACH row to get things one after the other. I am zipping all over the store following the mental list. I dunno if that is about rules but it is about creative and kinda military proceedure type thinking. He makes me nuts.

I can hear it now...with slow southern drawl..... :drink:

(Question: I clicked that quote thingee down in the right hand corner. Why didn't it post white in a box? How do I do that? And PLEASE remove your hat before you reply!!!)

Hmmm. Shoulda worked for you. <_<

(Hatless here!!!) :biglaugh:

Edited by dmiller

pipes, do tell the story of driving on the sidewalk, pretty please? :biglaugh:

Okay....but it's not as good as the cone stowey!!!!

My daughter & I are driving along a street in the largest city in our humble state. I make a wrong turn onto a 3-lane road that cuts through to another main road. Well, I don't want to go that direction.

The speed limit is 35 on the road that I incorrectly turned onto, so cars aren't traveling fast. None the less, there are cars. Now I am a VERY safe driver with the best insurance rate...so don't go thinking I am putting our lives in danger here. I calculate if I can make a u-ee, estimating the space and the amount of traffic. Well, with the space I underestimate. My tank of a van doesn't make the u-ee so that I can fully be on the road. Two wheels are on the sidewalk and two on the road. There is some traffic behind us and I don't want to make some freaky, jerky movement...I mean we could flip or cause some comotion. So I drive along the sidewalk until I get to a bank driveway to safely manuever back into the lane. It was probably only about 200 to 300 feet. But it was memorable.

I asked my daughter if the incident made her nervous. She responded, "No; it was actually fun. "

You know what that means....

And I confess..I have driven between the orange and white barrells on more than one occasion. But I have never had the audacity (OMG) to remove the cones!!! heeeee

PS: Dmiller...for some reason it worked this time. But of all things I'm on the Windows 95 instead of the XP.

Go tell.?

hahaha, pipes!

Driving on the sidewalk is definitely a rule buster. But, hey, we do what we must sometimes.

Speakin of which, I gotta got to court tomorrow for daughter breaking a rule, sorta. She got a ticket for not wearing her seat belt, although she really had it on.

This is one time we followed the rules, and gotta ticket anyway. So I gotta dress up tomorrow and look all sweet and innocent along with daughter, and explain to the judge perxactly why she got a ticket, even though she was buckled.

Aye corumba. It would be easier just to pay the stupid fine, but on principle, we gots to fight it. ;) Wish us luck.