GreaseSpot Cafe

Following the Rules

ex10

My dearly beloved and I have always had arguments about following rules.

He is great. A rulekeeper and follower to the max.

I've always had trouble in that category of life. Rules are for people who don't know how to do stuff without them, according to moi.

Most of our disagreements in life have had to do with keeping rules.

Example: I'm cooking supper and can't follow a recipe to save my life. Hubby is a great cook, that likes to follow the recipe.

Hubby: What do you have here?

Moi: Texmex casserole, same as always.

Hubby: You used stewed tomatoes instead of diced.

Moi: I didn't want to go to the store just to get diced tomatoes. I wanted to use what I had.

Hubby: But the recipe says diced....

Moi: But stewed and diced taste basically the same, after they are cooked for a while, no?

Hubby: no, not really But it will probly taste ok. You didn't put too many green chilis, did you?

Moi: I didn't have any green chilis, so I used jalapenos.

Hubby: Oi vey....

Moi: I didn't have flour totillas, so I used corn instead.

Hubby: So we aren't really having texmex casserole same as always, we are having somthing similiar?

Moi: Yeah. :)

and on it goes............sigh....

I'm exaggerating, but not really...........

but so it goes. He likes to follow the recipe, I don't.

I think that's why he married me, and I married him. We sorta balance each other, in a wierd sorta way.

Any rule breakers out there have trouble? :spy:

:dance:

hahahahahahahaha roflmao

Our wonderful Sushi and I are the same way. He's the rule follower and I'm the rule breaker. I am always asking him, what is the point of that rule? Or telling him, yes in general it is a good rule and then coming up with all kinds of circumstances that would be the exception to that good rule. I think I make him dizzy sometimes. :biglaugh::cryhug_1_:

Ex10 - I bet you're a "right brain" kind of gal married to a "left brain" kind of guy.

it's like me and my hubby - although he's learned that I always make the recipe the way it is stated at least once - then I start tweeking and improvising - but then I'm a bit of aamateur gourmet - ( at least I was until my picky kids started whining!)

Right brain - improvise, intuition, creativity

left brain - recipes, formulas, logic

Hey maybe that was what was wrong with TWi - too manyl eft-ies running the show, making formulas for us to live by....

yes dooj

another example

When the kids were little, I had 3, we used to fly home to see the grandparents often. So I got pretty good at maneuvering a stroller, with a kid strapped to me, and one holding my hand, through the airport. (O'hare to be exact)

Hubby went with me on a trip home. We were late, as usual, getting our plane. Had baggage and kids. I'm used to it, hubby is a novice.

Get to the escalator going up to our gate. We are in a way hurry. Big sign says "NO STROLLERS ALLOWED ON ESCALATOR."

I step on, not thinking. Hubby says, "wait, you can't do that." I reply, "that sign is just for people who don't know how to do this." Get on!

Hubby gets on escalator. We get off, stroller, baggage, kids, in tow. Nobody died.

Hubby says, "I can't believe we did that." I roll my eyes.

On the way home, when we have a more leisurely pace, and had time to follow all the rules, we were sitting waiting at the bottom of the escalator.

A hubby with alot of baggage, etc. got off with a stroller, turned to his wife, and said. "Look nobody died."

I busted out laffing. Hubby looked at me and said, "so there are more of you out there, so what?"

You must not cook much for others, eh WhiteDove? ;)

Actually David I did for many years I cooked many a meal. Nobody died so far. :) And I've catered several weddings for 100s at a time where to my surprise people requested my recipes. Which I had to give them because I followed one. Although a large one I had to scale it down a bit. Use the recipe it turns out fine every time.

Oh so this unidentifiable substance is pasta?????? :nono5:

Edited by WhiteDove

My husband used to freak out because I couldn`t cook without a recipe.

He even went so far as to hide my measuring cups and spoons to get me to be a little more flexible :blink:

Anyway....now I cook by *guesstimation* and actually it is pretty good most of the time :)

What is funny is now I drive my mother insane if she sees me cook....you ought to hear her ....*omg you didn`t pre heat the oven BEFORE.. you put that casserole in there ???? *Oh LORD....you didn`t use CAMBELLS tomato soup in your recipe....nope great value brand wont be as good...youve RUINED the meal*...lol

I am the rule follower in our house...I used to have anxiety attacks because he didn`t.

It is like he is stuck in teenager mode....always having to rebel just out of general principle :rolleyes:

I suppose that is wht we balance each other out.

Edited by rascal

wow, now I am confused as to my brain. I am SOoooo left brain, math, science, logic oriented, but when it comes to cooking I love to tweak recipes with what is on hand or what I think will better a recipe that evening. I thought that was the science part of me. Maybe I have a right lobe afterall. or then again, maybe I am halfbrained. dinner is almost always good and devoured however, by both myself and MsHAP, who is very happy not to have to cook that night.

She is very happy to grab a bag of some heat and eat prepared food and call it good. I of course will eat it since I didn't have to take time to cook it, but I would never ever buy it or cook it myself.

~HAP

Well ex...you knows me be a rule breaker.

One of the ones we've had around our place is the "men do not wear caps inside" silliness. My son is naked without his ball cap. Hubby says not to wear it. I side with my son. Guess who wins? Son wears hat. Hubby sees the illogic of idiotic rule. Then it leads to a history discussion and wonderful discourse about cultures and sociology.

So...not too long thereafter I take my son to check out a homeschool class at a church. Before we walk in I tell him to take off his cap. (We had that culture/sociology talk and are appopriately applying our graces.) He rolls his eyes and takes it off.

We walk into the class. My son rejoices...almost every guy in the class has his baseball cap on! Yee ha!! And we were taught all churches were religious!!! He's still in that class two years later and they still wear their caps...and chew gum. He's lovin' it.

The rule bout the hats, though is one I wish didn't get broken around here.

This is Texas, after all. Daughter and I have a favorite country diner we like to stop at for chicken fried steak on the way home from the barn, after a show or a hard day of smelling horses. <_<

My pet peeve is all the cowboys eating with their hats on. Geeze oh pete, please remove your hat, boy. A couple of Saturdays ago, we stopped and ate. It was real busy so there was a line out on the front porch. We were standing there, and I noticed Lyle Lovett (he lives down the road from our barn) and a pretty girl were walking in right in front of us.

God bless him, he took his hat off when he went in the restaurant. What a gentleman. We run into him at the feed store or the tack shop in town every once in a while, too. He is always polite and friendly.

I know that has nothing to do with nothing. Oh well. B)