GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't know anything about Yngvie, you just may still enjoy this.

Malmsteen lesson.

And then there's the Petrucci lesson.

He taught God how to play the guitar. :biglaugh:

And on the second one I can't master that picking at one much lesson a billion. :unsure:

in a band setting. Superb!

Those guys must have had a ball making that video. :)

She is fantastic!

Nice tunes satori - thanks! LMAO! Very funny. I scrounged through YouTube a few weeks ago and found several Paul Gilbert video 'lessons' where he was just talking normally but kind of had that air. He's a good guitarist, nice guy I'm sure but something about his manner said "Yeah, this is pretty much for my teenage boy-fans to watch a 1,000 times till "Girls Gone Wild" reloads a new video clip".

Then when the song/ tune was over and everyone asks you about *that funny lick you did*,

You could ALWAYS say -- I was trying for the Jazz/ Blues effect ----

and get away with it!!

Cracked me up dmillar - my daughter calls it "spice". :biglaugh:

Man oh man!

I just read that thread on "Oddities of the English Language".

It conjured up memories of having to "sight read" in high school band to either challenge for the next chair or defend my current chair.(trumpet was my instrument except for marching when I became a baritone player.)

I didn't do any better "sight reading" those sentences than I did with sheet music back in high school.

I guess that's a bit off topic.

Anyways, I was listening to the radio the other day and I heard a new(for me) version of the old Willie Dixon tune "Spoonful". I listened for the harp fill where the song goes"that SPOON,thatSPOON, that SPOON full". The word SPOON is typically played as a single bend to create a minor. But here is this guy playing a major over it and it took me off guard. I thought"Now who the heck is that guy and doesn't he know any better?"

I did a little research and discovered it was none other than one of the greatest "benders" to ever live, George"Wild Child" Buttler. It's on a Kenny Wayne Shephard CD called "Ten Days Out, Blues From The Back Roads". This album is a treasure. It has guest performances by a ton of elder statesmen,many of whom are no longer with us.

So the point is that George took what would ordinarily be concidered a mistake and intentionally created something that is unique and memorable. I guess sometimes what you don't play can have more effect than what you do play.

You're welcome.

He's good ain't he, I've looked at a couple other tunes they have of his. Thanks for bringing him up because I'd forgotten I wanted to check him out.

I must get away from this screen now. I swear I've come back off and on all day long and I can't remember posting this much in years. :blink:

:wave:

Kenny Wayne Shepherd

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kenny Wayne Shepherd (born June 12, 1977) is an American Blues musician. Shepherd was born in Shreveport, Louisiana. Self-taught, he began playing at age 7, figuring out Muddy Waters licks from his father's record collection.

At the age of 13, he was invited onstage by the New Orleans bluesman Bryan Lee. After proving his abilities, he decided on music as a career.

Using his own contacts in the record business Shepherd's father and manager helped his son land a major-label record deal with Giant Records.

Kenny Wayne Shepherd has sold millions of albums worldwide, with two Grammy nominations, three straight No. 1 blues albums, a string of No. 1 mainstream rock singles and two Billboard Music Awards. He was also awarded the 1998 and 2001 Orville H. Gibson Awards for Best Blues Guitarist.

Shepherd married Hannah Gibson (eldest child of Mel Gibson) on September 16th, 2006.

[edit]Trivia

Shepherd contributed to and played the opening and ending credits of Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker.

Shepherd and Bryan Lee appeared as the musical guest on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno on February 14, 2007.

Shepherd produced his first cd "Ledbetter Heights" when he was only 17.

[edit]External Link

The Kenny Wayne Shepherd Information Center the official website

This article on a musician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.

=========

I remember when the Kenny Wayne Shephard Band came out with Blue On Black - it was in the late 90's. I believe the song went into the Top 10. He was sorta a virtuoso - like what Derek Trucks is - very unusual, young talent. He disappeared for a while - drug addiction, I think - and recently resurfaced. I'm looking forward to what he brings on next - refreshing.

http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/music/arti...tml#artist_name

Kenny Wayne Shephard ---- He has some NICE STUFF!! :eusa_clap:

While browsing through the blues section of you tube -- I found this guy,

playing his guitar with a spoon in his mouth for the slide! :o

Here's another (live version) of the same song. Hannes Coetzee is his name.

In this second video -- take a look at all the vintage guitars on stage!!

Yum, yum, drool, pant, those should be in my living room! :D

Hannes Coetzee on stage

Oh, I'm sure there's something out there that would tickle his fancy - I see him looking at autions on eBay a lot. He likes the Wolfegang Peavy's that are out there... but overall, I think he's just dreamin' ... He also just got back his Porsche we bought last fall - it's a little 924S that we picked up for $600 - it runs - no kidding. He's getting it inspected to get it on the road - little souped up VW... He's got enough toys, thank you!

for a Sunday morning.

And satori -- forgot to thank you for that link to Tony Rice.

Tony used to have the most beautiful voice for singing, and I miss it.

His Spasmodic Dysphonia has robbed him of his voice.

I saw him here in Minnesota 2 years ago, and he could barely croak out "SING IT!",

to the audience as they were playing a chorus to some popular bluegrass song.

Thanks for showcasing that he can still pick guitar.

It was *typical Tony* -- flawless as usual. :)

David,

That last link is simply wonderful. I love it!!!!!

When I move back to Florida and my uncles and dad get together and play their instruments I will be right in the midst with my guitar as a lap guitar, tone bar and picks having a wonderful time. I can't wait, I just can't wait. And that last link reminds me of growing up laying on a blanket under the stars while they played all night long with the smell of whatever was cooking in the pit filling the air. I was the only kid allowed to stay up all night like that. They were part of the good memories I cherish. Thank you again for that, I loved it that much.

And you and Satori working this stuff together, oh my goodness, gawd help us all. :biglaugh:

Kathy

David,

That last link is simply wonderful. I love it!!!!!

When I move back to Florida and my uncles and dad get together and play their instruments I will be right in the midst with my guitar as a lap guitar, tone bar and picks having a wonderful time. I can't wait, I just can't wait. And that last link reminds me of growing up laying on a blanket under the stars while they played all night long with the smell of whatever was cooking in the pit filling the air. I was the only kid allowed to stay up all night like that. They were part of the good memories I cherish. Thank you again for that, I loved it that much.

And you and Satori working this stuff together, oh my goodness, gawd help us all. :biglaugh:

Kathy

Ha! Satori and I were not collaborating. He posted a link, and I responded with another.

but yea -- I hear ya about the kids being around while the adults played music

way into the wee hours of the morning.

That's what bluegrass is all about. Adult folks playing music (late into the night),

kids allowed to stay up and listen and learn from their elders, and then ----

In later years, the adults trying to stay awake, to listen to the youngsters

having fun playing bluegrass into the wee hours just like they used to,

that the *kids* first heard from the elder pickers,

who are now all going to bed at 10 pm!!!!

:biglaugh:

Figgered you'd like it Chas. Hes' got The Tone. What a light, sensitive touch! Right from finger-style single note playing to slide. I like that little hammer on he does with the right hand at about 02:10 while gets his slide. Nice continuity.