Guitar Talk

socks

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wish I had close up shots but the ones I have don't show any better than that. Once I get to Florida I'll get some better ones and send to you okeedokee.

Thanks for making the pictures bigger. I had a heck of a time remembering how to post links to Rick's server. :doh:

I copied them, and sent them to my PhotoBucket account. Great site. :)

Thanks, Polar Bear – I’ll check out the video demos.

Socks, the 3000 has been instrumental :rolleyes: in putting the excitement back into practice. One of my favorite effects combo is Chorus/Flanger and Reverb set to Arena. And after watching the last Jaco clip I’ve been playing around with scales – as in morphing them into jazzy walks or a bass line for a tune…loads of fun!!!...Ah yes, I can see it now – the cover of my first album – a picture of my bass standing in the corner – me with hands on hips looking sternly at the bass – title of the CD: Don’t make Me come over there and play You!

Chatty, kewl looking Harleys – sorry to be so Hollywood but the only appropriate bass line I know right off the top of my head is Born to be Wild…What would probably impress DMiller would be me learning Hogs on the Highway by the Bad Livers.

Rick has longer hair than that???

Does it get tangled up in the strings??? :P :P :P

(FYI -- I have to keep my beard trimmed,

so it doesn't get tangled up in the strings OR the bow!!)

:biglaugh:

Yup his hair pretty much hits his belt line and the last time I talked about him and hair and playing the guitar he got on me for it. :biglaugh:

I have to take this back. He told me tonight he had it cut to about 4 inches from his belt because he had some split ends. :mooner: I swear I love messing with that man. :biglaugh:

Chatty, kewl looking Harleys – sorry to be so Hollywood but the only appropriate bass line I know right off the top of my head is Born to be Wild…What would probably impress DMiller would be me learning Hogs on the Highway by the Bad Livers.

What a great beat to it!!!

:eusa_clap::biglaugh::eusa_clap:

Ho man! Thanks, D Miller – for the Bad Livers tune! Lathe Crick is the second tune on their CD – I’ve got it and love every track!...Look what you’ve done - now I’m feenin’ for reruns of The Beverly Hillbillies…”Golly Uncle Jed, I’m gonna be a rock star…don’t tell Granny I’ve been using her sewing machine for an effects pedal…or that I’ve managed to sew the steel guitar into my clothes.”

Just for a laugh-

Upscale Bar

C, E-flat and G entered a bar.

The bartender said, "Sorry, I don't serve minors."

The E-flat left and the C and G had an open fifth between them. After a few drinks, the fifth was diminished and the G was out flat.

An F entered and tried to augment the situation but was not sharp enough.

A D entered and excused himself to the bathroom, saying, "I'll just be a second."

An A entered but the bartender wasn't convinced that this relative of C was not a minor.

Then the bartender noticed a B-flat hiding at the end of the bar. "Get out, right now!" he exclaimed. "You're the seventh minor I've found in this bar tonight."

The next night the E-flat returned to the bar in a 3-piece suit.

The bartender said, "You're looking sharp tonight. This could be a major development. "

This was the case, when the E-flat took off the suit and everything else to stand there au natural.

Eventually, the C sobered up and realized in horror that he was under a rest.

He was brought to trial, found guilty of contributing to the diminution of a minor, and was sentenced to ten years of D.S. without the possibility of a Coda.

On appeal, he was found innocent of any wrongdoing, even accidental, because the accusation was bassless.

The bartender decided he needed a rest -- and closed the bar.

h

Just for a laugh-

Upscale Bar

C, E-flat and G entered a bar.

The bartender said, "Sorry, I don't serve minors."

The E-flat left and the C and G had an open fifth between them. After a few drinks, the fifth was diminished and the G was out flat.

An F entered and tried to augment the situation but was not sharp enough.

A D entered and excused himself to the bathroom, saying, "I'll just be a second."

An A entered but the bartender wasn't convinced that this relative of C was not a minor.

Then the bartender noticed a B-flat hiding at the end of the bar. "Get out, right now!" he exclaimed. "You're the seventh minor I've found in this bar tonight."

The next night the E-flat returned to the bar in a 3-piece suit.

The bartender said, "You're looking sharp tonight. This could be a major development. "

This was the case, when the E-flat took off the suit and everything else to stand there au natural.

Eventually, the C sobered up and realized in horror that he was under a rest.

He was brought to trial, found guilty of contributing to the diminution of a minor, and was sentenced to ten years of D.S. without the possibility of a Coda.

On appeal, he was found innocent of any wrongdoing, even accidental, because the accusation was bassless.

The bartender decided he needed a rest -- and closed the bar.

h

That reminds of that radio skit on the Dr. Demento show "Wet Dream" -

My Barracuda was in the shop, so I was in a rented Stingray,

and it was overheating.

So I pulled into a Shell station; they said I'd blown a seal.

The doctor is out. He'll be right back--- with more demented music.

Hmmm. That reminds me. Maria Muldauer is coming to my fair city pretty soon.

She was a member of "Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks" way back in the day when Dr. D. used to feature them with regularity on his show. I think I may just have to check out her show even though chances are slim she will perform "Midnight at the Oasis" or "Don't You Feel My Leg".

edited for 2x post

Edited by waysider

Kathy, I showed hubby your nephew's bikes. He was impressed.

OK, I need your prayers!!! I am in a raffle (drawing July 3) for a guitar signed by George Strait......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are only 1000 tickets but the lady said she didn't think that many would be sold.....I want it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey there Happy Guitar People! How be's it?

Chatty, you're on the road again? May all your lines be dotted ones!

For all the blues and rock fans, check these guys out The Alameda All Stars

They're California, so if you're up in the Bay Area and ever have a chance to catch them, do. You'll like what they're doing. :dance:

Tommy and Preston are friends from many years ago, back in the "Cookin' Mama" day when Tom and I played together. Tom's been playing steady over the years and is doing some really good music with this band. He was always a well rounded and energetic musician and it was great to see how he's aged and grown with style, playing like he was born to do it. Plays keyboards and sings, and fronts the band, and everyone has a great time. Preston plays drums and is one of the best I've heard in a long time.

We saw them locally Saturday night, and they blew the club out. It was really "old home" night, and I was so glad to see them after so many years. Last time I saw Preston play he was 16, and the guy is killin'. I coudn't stop smiling, after I picked my jaw up off the floor. Tom asked me to do a jam with them, which was really fun, "Shotgun", can't go wrong in the key of C, and they were very gracious about it. Had to play a Strat-down-low, nice guitar, not quite my setup but it was a lot of fun. Mark McGee is their lead guitarist and he was as gracious as he is good - he's a fully primed player and played some very tasty stuff, on a Les Paul. Tom Miller's bass playing was the same, they're musicianship led the music into some nice spots while keeping it moving. Catch 'em if you ever have the chance, they mostly gig around Northern California.

Edited by socks

Kathy, I showed hubby your nephew's bikes. He was impressed.

OK, I need your prayers!!! I am in a raffle (drawing July 3) for a guitar signed by George Strait......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are only 1000 tickets but the lady said she didn't think that many would be sold.....I want it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get your needs and your pick parallel!!!

:biglaugh:

Hey -- here's hoping you get it. Meebe if'n yer lucky ----

He'll show up with a friend of his, sing THIS SONG,

and then sign it and hand it over to you.

:dance:

(If the Guild guitar in this video is the one being given away,

I'm truly jealous of whomever it is that gets it!!!)

The Bay Area-----Home of "The Blues Harmonica Blowout" every March (brainchild of Mark Hummel)

15+ years and still going strong

Too late for this year but there is always a CD for historic purposes.

The best of the best show up for this one. And not just the harp players either, plenty of geetar top guns.

Hey! Isn't Tommy Castro from The Bay Area? Don't suppose he stays at "home" too much these days.