Guitar Talk

socks

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JO, you've brought New Light to the Guitar thread - it's amazing! I couldn't place it T-Bone, but you're right - it's Lou!

I now know much more about Mungo Jerry than I did exactly one day ago, and what a difference a day makes! Interesting facts from various Mungo-loid sites I surfed, starting with that photo:

Mungo Jerry is a band, not just one guy, although the guy in the photo is pretty much the Voice of MJ, named Ray Dorset. The name wsa taken from a character in a book, T.S. Eliot's Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats.

Mungo Jerry was an acoustic jug band assemblage of musicians when they started,, with no drummer sounds like.

The were also a blues band, electric, with a drummer, and had a kind of English blues band sound on their second UK number one hit - "Baby Jump". It sounds a little like early Fleetwood Mac to me, in the Peter Green era.

AND, although they're figured in lists of "one hit wonders", they actually had 2 #1 songs in the UK, In the Summertime and the rock-blues tune Baby Jump.

They had several - 4? - songs chart Top 10 in the UK, where they had an active career and several more that charted in the Top 50. They were also big in Europe it looks like, Germany and France.

Who'd've thunkit? I had no idea, no Mungo music in my head. Now - me got Mungo! :biglaugh:

Edited by socks

Verse three - "In the Summertime"....

New light!

We're no threat, people

We're not dirty, we're not mean

We love everybody but we do as we please

When the weather's fine

We go fishin' or go swimmin' in the sea

We're always happy

Life's for livin' yeah, that's our philosophy

Jerry Mungo "Where Are You"

You told us you were everything,

You said that you were more than life itself,

They told us you would help us when trouble was at the door,

You know I put my trust in you,

I thought that you would always understand,

So please don't let us down because we need you now

CHORUS

Where are you, where are you,

You know that the time is now,

To show your face, in darkness help light, guide the way

We wanna walk the streets in peace,

Relax and laugh and sleep at night,

We wanna raise a family, not shelter from the world,

It says here in the book, it says this is the Gospel truth about you,

You know I do believe but I don't like what I see

REPEAT CHORUS

:unsure:

Socks and Jonny, I think we happened upon a very important OLM. Oh my!

Man, this is truly Amazing! I have a hard time expressing my joy in stumbling across this OLM from our youthful days. No wonder that song has always been a favorite of mine. And Socks, those lyrics are so telling dude! ...."Or go swimmin in the Sea" MOW!

And so nice to see the lead vocalist and guitarist of Mungo Jerry brandishing that Stratocaster. I wonder what year that guitar was. Was that a blonde or a wood finish? Adn Socks what did you mean by his "stings had ears"? Just that they weren't cut?

Chatty, that was hilarious - one of my old time favorites...That's the good news. Now the bad news - the rhino singing the tune "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" - cute - but was that a dog in there? What's a dog doing in the jungle?...Okay - I'm just messin' with yah - I enjoyed it. [but that was a dog in there - wasn't it?]

Edited by T-Bone

I found these tidbits about it:

Had a chance to interview Hoyt Axton at a country music festival some years ago. He said the first line, Jeremiah was a bullfrong, was never really intended to be in the song. He just came up with it to fill the line and get to the rest of the song. He never had a chance to rewrite it before the song became a hit.

Though I see the quote from Hoyt Axton that the "Jeremiah" line was a throw away line, I had heard on an interview that a "Bullfrog" is a New Orleans term for a drunk.

Cool - thanks for finding that out, Chatty ! I love hearing about stuff like that from songwriters. I read in an interview with Paul McCarthy, when he was writing "Yesterday" - before he had the words - instead of "yesterday" he would sing "scrambled eggs."

August 28, 2006

PINK Floyd's Comfortably Numb has the best guitar solo of all time, according to a new poll.

It was chosen ahead of the opening riff from Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns N' Roses.

Third was Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd, while Eruption by Van Halen was fourth and Guns N' Roses' November Rain fifth.

Led Zeppelin classic Stairway to Heaven was in sixth place.

British radio station Planet Rock asked listeners to come up with a top 40.

The rest of the top 10 featured Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits, Aqualung by Jethro Tull, Hotel California by The Eagles and Child In Time by Deep Purple.

Top 20

1 Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb

2 Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine

3 Lynyrd Skynyrd - Freebird

4 Van Halen - Eruption

5 Guns N' Roses - November Rain

6 Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven

7 Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing

8 Jethro Tull - Aqualung

9 The Eagles - Hotel California

10 Deep Purple - Child In Time

11 Queen - Brighton Rock

12 Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower

13 Deep Purple - Highway Star

14 Wishbone Ash - Throw Down The Sword

15 Ozzy Osbourne - No More Tears

16 Cream - Crossroads

17 Guns N' Roses - Paradise City

18 Led Zeppelin - Since I've Been Loving You

19 Ten Years After - I'm Going Home (Woodstock)

20 Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Chile

Hello ALL,

Phewww.... you guys and gals are sure busy while this girl from Canadia is a way...

Guitars with holes, Rhino's singing 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight' and dogs doing the macarana...(that was HALARIOUS Chatty!!!)

Top Ten Lists... and the ressurection of SEA MONKEYS>>> OH MY :dance:

Well I did think of you all yesterday as I and my family went off for a tourist day and headed out to Niagara Falls and then Niagara-On-The-Lake.

We had lunch at Hard Rock Café and I found the story in the menu MOST amusing and thought it must be shared with the faithful followers of the Guitar Thread...

'The story of the birth of Hard Rock’s memorabilia collection is itself a part of music history. The collection was started when Eric Clapton, a regular customer at the original Hard Rock Cafe London, asked the staff if he could hang his guitar on the wall to mark his favorite bar stool as “his spot.” They did, and one week later, a package from The Who’s Pete Townshend arrived with a guitar and a note bearing the message, “Mine’s as good as his! Love, Pete.”

Unfortunately, I could not find the exact story that was written in the menu...but it did say that this place was in england... a small 'diner' hole in the wall run by two americans. Clapton used to frequent this place alot and asked the owners if it would be ok if he could sorta' have a certain stool saved for him when he came. The one owner said, 'Sure, heck why don't you just bring in your guitar and leave it here.' The next day Clapton showed up with one of his guitars and placed it on the wall.... or something to that effect.

and the rest... as they say .. is history.

OH... I saw Jeff Healy's Guitar... it was white... (sorry... that's all I remember :( )

Talking about Healy, I go to see him from time to time. He has a bar called Healy's in downtown Toronto and he plays in a sorta' Dixie Band. You can go for free and watch for 3 hours on Saturday afternoons. The best darn thing EVER.

This band he's put together is a sorta' band that play standards from the 30's - 40's. Healy sings as well as this female vocalist. There is a guitarist, along with Jeff who plays this Django Rhinehart style, a sax/clarinet player to die for, pianist, drum and upright bass player... all MANIGNIFICIENT... and this russian violin player who plays like Stephan Grappelli...

and... Jeff plays trumpet!!! I've seen also his parents there and they are most adorable.

Most of the time Jeff plays trumpet and a fine player he is. Jeff I am told has one of the largest if not THE largest collection in the world of 78s. He's an amazing individual.

This place is in the basement of Healy's ..so it's small.. VERY small and you have to get there an hour earlier in order to get a good seat. In about an hour you turn around the place is packed. There are young, old, middle aged... ALL ages. You sit in this dark little hovel and are transported. Reminds me of the first place that Beatles played in England... The Cavern or something????

The last time I was there, Jeff brought up this young singer... just 14 who sang the place down. She did ... The Sunny Side of the Street. OH MY!

Afterwards, I spoke to this girl in the washroom. She said that Jeff met her in Ottawa where she is from. She was singing with a blues band there. Jeff didn't get to hear her sing, but when he spoke to her ... he knew she could sing by her speaking voice.

I thought that was a fascinating observation but being that Jeff is blind.. there is no doubt that his ear must be one of the most accute instruments around!!!

OK... after alllllllll my blither here... i'm thinking.. OH sheeeshh.. I think I've blithered about this before somewhere here on GS.. I APOLOGIZE deeply if i've bored the pants off of any of you with my replay.

ONE MORE THING... The Lion Sleeps Tonight...

FASCINATING HISTORY TO THAT SONG... It is actually an African tribal hunting song. It is the song a certain tribe sang before they would leave to hunt lions. Now, the song was sung of course in their tribal tongue.

A few years ago I watched a documentary about this song. This song was transported to USA by a certain singer who heard it on his travels and recorded it. A certain man then put lyrics to it... all of 10 words and made millions. Unfortunately, the certain individual in Africa who taught them the traditional song was never compensated EVER, yet this song went on to make millions and millions and millions for people and still does. It has been used in over like something of 260 commercials, x number of plays, broadway productions, movies...and the list goes on and on and on let alone all the people who have recorded it over the past 50 years or more.

The man in Africa died in poverty and his family still lives the same today. It was a definite story of exploitation. The man who put the lyrics to music has NOW finally decided to compensate these people but it is a very sad story... sigh

Just found this website... www.pbs.org/independentlens/lionstrail/trail.html

OK... I prob got some of these details a little twisted ... so go gentle on me. :blink:

:yawn1: my stories are over!

Edited by A la prochaine

... Thanks for the fun read while I ate a quick bite.... :)

I bet the lion could say the same thing...

Really - thanks Ala, that stuff is interesting!...Reminds me of the story I heard behind 3 Dog Night's name. On a cold night people would bring their dogs into their bedding with them to keep them warm. A 3 dog night would be especially cold...I know some may say that's a tall tail - if so - it's gotta be a great dane. :)

Edited by T-Bone