Guitar Talk

socks

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did you get it, Chatty? I've got some, if you need a cup o' tunes. Let me know. We can put some JM on here if that works.

Seen him live now, and on TV several times, and I agree with you Tom. He definitely plays meny different styles and techniques, all of them well it seems. His trio blues/jam band is good, live. He's got Steve Jordan on drums who's great, been around a long time and does a fantastic job of laying down the rock back beat. He and Jordan are producing his next album, which should tell a lot. Pino Palladino is playing bass on tour and again, he lays down the bottom while doing some nice work in the songs.

Mayer is pretty much "there" as a guitarist. He started at Berklee and then skipped to pursue his career, which a lot of musicians seem to do at Berklee. He's got the knowledge, the chops and the tunes. His looks probably set him back a little in the cred department, oddly. I have it on good authority that he's very good looking, although to me he has kind of a floppy dog look when he performs, which may be part of the attraction, dunno. :)

His playing is pretty inventive. I can hear the comparison to Matthews, Chas, definitely! But his guitar work is work, he's woikin'. Now, I'm a pop-song-slut, I admit, and Mayer's got some good pop tunes, and he plays the s**t out of the guitar on them, a dead giveaway to where his heart is. He could slap a few chords out and whack away but he's hard at it the whole set. Plus, he plays against the bass, which runs full throttle behind him. I love the breaks on "Bigger Than My Body", ("Yes I'm grounded...) and how the bass rides out of them into the chorus. It's X-Rated. :dance:

I was moderately scared seeing him New Years Eve billed with "Phil Lesh and Friends", (who sounded as flat and pointless as a day old box of Coca Cola) for fear he'd develop Dead-Head Noodlers Syndrome, causing him to forget when songs are supposed to end, but he did his set of blues stuff and a few tunes and maintained his own mental and musical integrity, thank GOD. :biglaugh: We left after shortly after the balloon drop, so don't know if he got 'moked up in the all-night jam. Figured, we'd better eave on a high note with good memories.

Edited by socks

Sockster,

wonderful description.. i truly enjoyed your take on JM...

I remember talking to you a while back when JM hit the scene and you said that wifey loved him...but you thought he was a drug head ???

Do you still feel the same way?

His looks are definitely not common for a rock/guitarist... i think the attraction is that he has a 'baby' face... I know... he prob HATES HATES HATES to hear that...but i think the girls find him approachable because of this...not that hard-a** rocker look.

I have a video of him I downloaded somewhere along the line... of him and his bass player singing... Your Body is a Wonderland...

at the end... he is slapping that guitar so hard... and fast... you cannot see his fingers move....I should learn how to put this stuff here so you can see what I am talking about.

Chatty.... helllllpppp.... I used to do this ... but for the life of me can't remember how to...

Bluzie actually helped me thru the thing...

Ok... i'm blithering for sure now.

I also have JM with BB King and many other greats. He's getting around this young lad.

thanks for the chat.. I enjoyed this.

: )

Did you get it, Chatty? I've got some, if you need a cup o' tunes. Let me know. We can put some JM on here if that works.

His playing is pretty inventive. I can hear the comparison to Matthews, Chas, definitely! But his guitar work is work, he's woikin'. Now, I'm a pop-song-slut, I admit, and Mayer's got some good pop tunes, and he plays the s**t out of the guitar on them, a dead giveaway to where his heart is. He could slap a few chords out and whack away but he's hard at it the whole set. Plus, he plays against the bass, which runs full throttle behind him. I love the breaks on "Bigger Than My Body", ("Yes I'm grounded...) and how the bass rides out of them into the chorus. It's X-Rated. :dance:

Some of that here please, that would be wonderful. :)

i don't know much about guitars except i like how they sound

and i wanted to say hi to johnnysocks because i think you're grand (not a piano)

How delightful to see you here.

Chatty.... helllllpppp.... I used to do this ... but for the life of me can't remember how to...

Bluzie actually helped me thru the thing...

I'll type it up for you and then walk you thru it in IM and you'll have the details for later if needed. :wink2:

Hi Exmuzica!!! Welcome, stay awhile. Feel the love.

Okay, Chatty. I'll put some on her shortly - a jucy soundwich.

A la, think I said he looked like a "stoner". Which didn't mean "she likes him BUT I think he's a stoner, so I don't". I've always liked him, and felt he looked like a stoner when I saw him, meaning like he'd smoked a spliff or two, burned a bomber, fired up a stick, sucked a thumb or two. Made out with the Love Weed in the back alley. But frankly I have no idea if he does or not, he just had that hazy shade of summer look in those big blue eyes. So I hope I didn't mislead you, if I did, I apologize. "Reporting for discipline, Sir!" :wink2:

A large percentage of the music world use external stimulants of some kind to get ready for the gig. Which is fine for them as long as they can still hit the mark and do their job. For a lot of people "grass" has become the Granola Bar of drugs, at worst, a misdemeanor on the road of inspiration. I would disagree, but unless someone makes a total foot of themselves doing them or allows them to negatively effect their efforts I don't much care what people do. :spy:

In Mayer's case, he's young, everything about his first few years had "young" all over them. Which makes sense - he was young. But he's a helluva guitar player for his age. :)

Here's a tune - Chatterly Bigger Than My Body - the hitz keep coming - give the bass player some!

And anudder - live cut with Steve Jordan and Pino Palladino -

"Who Did You Think I Was"

Aaaah. When the mind is right... :wave:

Edited by socks

I've always liked him, and felt he looked like a stoner when I saw him, meaning like he'd smoked a spliff or two, burned a bomber, fired up a stick, sucked a thumb or two. Made out with the Love Weed in the back alley.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

The second one I enjoyed. Thanks loads!

Edited by ChattyKathy

Thanks for sharing those John Mayer tunes, Socks. I'm gonna hafta get me some a dat! Reminds me some of Cold Play/Lenny Kravitz/Jimi Hendrix/Stevie Ray Vaughn. Wish I could hear the bass playing you're raving about. Can't hear squat through these little Laptop speakers - guess I'll have to get the CD... I know this is supposed to be a Guitar Talk thread - but it's been more like a Music Appreciation Class for me...

Edited by T-Bone

Mr. Socks,

I stand corrected... I apologize.. didn't mean to put you on the spot. But you are right.. it's those hazzy eyes he has... I guess SOME of us relate perhaps. :who_me:

Ok...

Nice song you posted... it's powerful, an incredible driving rhythm...and the lyrics... how funky

Of course I love Homelife...and Daughters...what a powerful message in that song. And what about Something's Missing... funk.

I love his versatility.

I remember when my daughter went to see him for the second time ... right after this album was released and he thanked his audience for accepting his 'heavier' album being it was a huge jump from his acoustic sound of his earlier albums. I thought that was a sweet and consciencious (sp??) statement to make.

Still WAILIN out on these Waylin' Jennys...

:wave:

Yeaj, Daughters is a great tune, A La. The depth, simply stated. Pretty cool, coming from such a young guy.

He does a lot with this lyrics - here's the whols lyric to "Who Did You Think I Was", which appears to be about himself, and his career. He's self-aware without being egotistical (I'm so COOL!) or depressing (Life SUCKS being me!), it's nice.

I like the way in the solo he does that Albert/SRV single string slur, about 00:17, on the 2ND beat.for a few measures It typically show up, a lot on the 4th beat as an ending to a rife, or lead-in to another, but his placement on the 2 gives it real *snap*. Its kicks the solo in pretty strong.

His lyrics-

I got half a smile and zero shame

I got a reflection with a different name

Got a brand new blues that I can't explain

Who did you think I was?

Every morning when the day begins

I make up my mind to change it back again

I am a shifter of the shape I'm in

Who did you think I was?

You got my number but I always knew the score

Who did you think I was?

Am I the one who plays the quiet songs?

Is he the one who turns the ladies on?

Will I keep shining til my light is gone?

Who did you think I was?

You got my number but I always knew the score

Who did you think I was?

Here is a line you won't understand

I'm half of the boy but I'm twice the man

I carry the weight of the world in the palm of my hand

Who did you think I was?

Who did you think I was?

Interesting slur.... yes... man.. Socks.. your detail about these things freaks me out sometimes...it's a good freak...but just the same... wowza!!!

OK...

Lyrics to Daughters

I know a girl

She puts the color inside of my world

but she's just like a maze

Where all of the walls all continually change

And I've done all I can

To stand on her steps with my heart in my hands

Now I'm starting to see

Maybe it’s got nothing to do with me

Fathers, be good to your daughters

Daughters will love like you do

Girls become lovers who turn into mothers

So mothers, be good to your daughters too

Ooh, you see that skin?

It's the same she's been standing in

Since the day she saw him walking away

Now she's left

cleaning up the mess he made

So fathers, be good to your daughters

So mothers, be good to your daughters too

Boys, you can break

You find out how much they can take

Boys will be strong

And boys soldier on

But boys would be gone without warmth from

A woman's good, good heart

On behalf of every man

looking out for every girl

You are the god and the weight of her world

So fathers, be good to your daughters

So mothers be good to your daughters, too

So mothers be good to your daughters, too

So mothers be good to your daughters, too.

alot of wisdom for such a young lad.

Hi! I got an invite to play some music from an awesome local guitarist who loves to play the blues. He's young, but knows a load of great tunes, and is the guy that played with we Chill Cats up in Haines Alaska a couple of years ago when we got down on the song "I'm Goin Down" by Jeff Beck. I have always loved that song, and I found myself coming up with a whole bunch of brand new licks on my harmonicas that I didn't know I had in me. Anyhoo, he was working at a gas station, and when I went in to pay, he said; Hey! Where have you been? I wondered if you were still in town! Let's play some music!" I told him that I thought I had sort of bombed when I played with him opne night at a Juneau club, but he said that that was ridiculous! We need you man!" And so, I got his number, and when I quit doing the "moon lighting" of hanging sheet rock after I get off work, I will look him up.

That time I thought I had bombed was because I walked into this club, and he was happy to see me and invited me up to plpay one, but the key he was in didn't match any of my harps except one, and the harp was in poor condition, and I thought it sounded sub par. Well, to me, it did. And so, I surely do love to play, and this guy's guitar playing is great to listen to whether I play with him or not. He calls his band "Daddio". It's him, a bass player and a drummer, and sometimes a keyboardist. I wonder if there is any info on them on the net...

Anyway, it will be fun to get back into playing, but I am not sure if I will like the bar scene....But dagnabbit it is so much fun! :dance:

4.jpg

Look below Willie's right hand -- at the extra hole in the guitar top by the bridge.

That is where it is falling apart -- but I've seen reports on how he has it worked on reguarly,

so that the top doesn't cave in completely -- as it should, given the photos.

Everything holding it together, is the extra bracing that's been added (on the inside of it).

He's got a Martin, and Martin uses a *V* brace, just below the sound hole,

where his *worn-through-the-top hole* is. There's a lotta extra wood inside -- holding it together.

Funky *road-warrior battle scarred* look on the outside, but the latest state of the art constuction on the inside. :)

He refuses to get the hole covered over. I wouldn't either, if I were him.

Moved to this thread, per Ala's request, from the Willie/ Fogerty Thread, :)

(I suspect -- since it is about guitars.) ;)

My Martin D-35 looks a little better than this, but not by much!! :biglaugh:

Edited by dmiller

And hey. I was surfing the Net, wondering what the One Hit Wonder Mungo Jerry actually looked like, and I found this:

http://www.bielefeld-marketing.de/ftp/bild.../bb11_04_1a.JPG

But, I don't know how to post that picture here. Does anybody here know how to do that? But ya know, I downloaded one of his other songs, and it is really pretty good, although I doubt it got as famoso as "In The Summetime". But the song that is pretty good is called "The Pushbike Song". Anywhoo, the picture that I gave the address on is of Mungo playing a Strat. In the picture, he is a black dude with way long sideburns.

And hey. Have you all noticed that some "modern band" has done a re-make of "In The Summertime"? Who done it? Been hearing it on the radio, but noticed a number of changes, but I really like it!

And, why would a guy call himself "Mungo"?

Edited by Jonny Lingo