GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

Wow = the reading is accumulating - need to catch up! A la, that's really interesting about The Lion Sleeps Tonight. Thanks for the background!

That list of Top guitar solos, hmmm.....Reeling in the Years, indeed! Side note - that solo was done by a guitarist named Elliot Randall, and it definitely smokes!

When I think of Cream, I'd probably pick "Sunshine of Your Love" over Crossroads - Clapton's signature tone has been analyzed by many since he recorded that - the "ooooooh" sound he used a lot at that time. Plus the riff - classic.

Hendrix is a grab back of choices - Purple Haze opens with that dissonant "bap bampk! bap squank" line - hard to forget once heard. The solo was seriously tweezed - I read an interview with his engineer once where he said that Hendrix had been trying different blues-oriented solos on it and then did that in one take and they scratched their heads like "where did THAT come from?" and said it's a keeper. Completely out of the pail on that one, as was the whole tune for it's day.

That would be one criteria for me to try and hone a list like that down - something that was new different for it's time when it came out. "Freebird" is a vintage rock now but probably not really innovative for it's day.

Lists like that are fun - !

I'm still pondering Chas's comment about this decades music - the "00's".......that's an interesting topic.

About time to get back.. :wave:

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And, there is short lick in Pink Floyd's "The Wall" (we don't need no edukition). I couldn't explain where this short little lick is in the song, but I'll try. It comes just after the kids yell; "Hey Teacher leave us kids alone and then the strat goes; "deee deet deet deeet dee dahh!" and just before resuming back to the the words "all we are is just another brick in the wall. Man, I just love that! Just those few tastily played notes totally makes that song for me....

A new friend of mine here in Juneau (who used to be the lead guitarist for Black Oak Arkansas), and I were talking about how much we loved that lick. He is the one who informed me that that was a classic Stratocaster sound. And by the way, he is an awesome guitarist still. He wasn't the original guitarist for them though. He was one of the "new guys" to come along as the band went through their ups and downs. He also said that "Jim Dandy" was an a-hole...

Edited by Jonny Lingo

Awesome stuff girl! Thanks for the fun read while I ate a quick bite. And I doubt you bore anyone. :)
I bet the lion could say the same thing...

:biglaugh: There has to be a joke about something like that I bet.

When I think of Cream, I'd probably pick "Sunshine of Your Love" over Crossroads - Clapton's signature tone has been analyzed by many since he recorded that - the "ooooooh" sound he used a lot at that time. Plus the riff - classic.

agree!

Hendrix is a grab back of choices - Purple Haze opens with that dissonant "bap bampk! bap squank" line - hard to forget once heard. The solo was seriously tweezed - I read an interview with his engineer once where he said that Hendrix had been trying different blues-oriented solos on it and then did that in one take and they scratched their heads like "where did THAT come from?" and said it's a keeper. Completely out of the pail on that one, as was the whole tune for it's day.

When you hear that it makes you feel like time changed. When someone touches the strings in such a way as to produce something that even makes the player stop and go "whoa did you hear that?".

And, there is short lick in Pink Floyd's "The Wall" (we don't need no edukition). I couldn't explain where this short little lick is in the song, but I'll try. It comes just after the kids yell; "Hey Teacher leave us kids alone and then the strat goes; "deee deet deet deeet dee dahh!" and just before resuming back to the the words "all we are is just another brick in the wall. Man, I just love that! Just those few tastily played notes totally makes that song for me....

I embarrass myself at intersections when its on.

A new friend of mine here in Juneau (who used to be the lead guitarist for Black Oak Arkansas), and I were talking about how much we loved that lick. He is the one who informed me that that was a classic Stratocaster sound. And by the way, he is an awesome guitarist still. He wasn't the original guitarist for them though. He was one of the "new guys" to come along as the band went through their ups and downs. He also said that "Jim Dandy" was a a-hole...

I bet you'll share many a sound together, cool!

RE: Great guitar solos ------What! No T-Bone walker? How about anything by THE ICEMAN Albert Collins? And just so I don't slight any shredder fan, what about "The Messiah Will Come" by Roy Buchanan? Jimmy Thachery's cover of it got the mechanics down pat but lacked the raw emotion of the original. As for Jeff Healy, I've heard it said he plays, of all things, a SQUIRE. I don't know if it's true but if it is it can only bolster the cred. of his prowess.

what about "The Messiah Will Come" by Roy Buchanan?

Yeah. I have an old friend who became the VP of TWI until recently. He used to play alot of rock and roll guitar, and back in the old twig when he and I were little people, he was in a band called Lone Oak. And he loved Roy Buchannan's music so much that he wrote a song called "Someday" about the hope, inspired by Mr. Buchannan's "The Messiah Will Come". Roy Buchannan was a local guy in Maryland/DC, and alot of us knew of him before he got so big. He used to play at a place down in Georgetown, DC, at a place called the Cellar Door. Harvey is the one who turned me on to Roy Buchannan, and I am glad he did. And, back when old Harve was "real", we used to love to hear him play with Lone Oak live at the "Psyche Deli", and my all time favorite was "Someday....."

Black Oak Arkansas! I remember seeing them on TV, "Midnight Special"? Never heard much of them on the radio out here but there were on TV a few times where I saw them. That guy - am I the only one who thinks David Lee Roth reminds them of that singer? The hair, the mugging, the whole stage thing of Roth's always reminded me of the singer in Black Oak. Maybe I'm weird. Yeah, I know.... :biglaugh:

A funny story.... A co-worker a few years ago when I lived in AR/TN area was talking about visiting her out-of-town family and mentioned Black Oak, AR. I told her that I loved that band, duh, but didn't realize it was actually the name of a town!!!!! Later, hubby and I went thru there and I had to laugh about how naive I have been in my life, and probably still am sometime!!!!

On Friday, Sept 8, Dr. We$ C0wan from the "Hi$tory Detectives" show among others on PBS is going to be appraising a Gibson guitar of my hubby's that is over 55 years old. I am so excited. I will be the table hostess of a brunch to benefit a GOOD cause, the Hospital Foundation in my hometown!!!

I don't know how anyone could definitively pick "one greatest of all time" when speaking of guitar solos... to me it's just so subjective and (at least for me) changes with the mood I'm in as to how it effects me... nowhutahmeen?

But I am in agreeance that the solo from 'comfortably numb' is one of the all time greats... and you all know that I'm a huge fan of David Gilmour so... if you ever get the chance to see him... do it!

I am out here in Socksland this week (well, a little south, Los Altos) and I was walking down El Camino Real yesterday and actually came upon some Amazing Sea Monkeys that were out here doing their missionary work... I asked them about our theories on Mungo Jerry...

They were kind of taken aback, looked at each other wide eyed and began whispering to one another... it was as if I had spoken of an inner secret that "outsiders" were not supposed to know... I tried to put them at ease telling them that I was an OLM from the ASM 1 and proceeded to tell them how it used to be in the old days...

Oh the fun we had sharing with each other, I tell you it was Amazing... and then they showed me a recent edition of "Sing Along with the Amazing Sea Monkeys" and there it was... number 43 in your hymnals... "In the Summertime"...

It was Amazing... simply Amazing....

(my dear brother from the sock drawer: why didn't you tell me there were ASM missionaries out here in your area?)

Scissor Boy,

"(my dear brother from the sock drawer: why didn't you tell me there were ASM missionaries out here in your area?)" :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: such a way with words!

I can't seem to remember what ASM 1 is? I know ASM is Amazing Sea Monkeys... but the '1'? and OLM stands for Old ? Monkeys

But I must say... I remember when that song came out on the hit parade of Mungo Jerry's ... I think it was 1972. I absolutely loved it!

I was a very young girl then, sporting pig tails and braids...just picture Ann of Green Gables... that was me.

Ya ... and Chatty and her 'puter abilities.. I hear you Jonny... i feel like i'm this poster with 3 crutches at times... sigh...

I'm still wanting to post that John Mayer song that he recorded with Herbie Hancock.. but i'll figure it out sooner or later.

Act 2, you reminded me of my hubby....who was given a Jazz Fender bass about 2 yrs ago. I basically haven't seen him since. He spends hours just plunking that thing along side albums of Wynton Marsalis, MaryLou Williams, John Mayer, Herbie Hancock, Diana Krall, Bill Evans and even Kim Mitchell.

Oh ... Kim Mitchell... now there is an interesting guitarist.

Patio Lanterns.. how can you not love that song.. but he also wrote one called Wonderland... interesting lyrics and melody.

i'm blithering again.........ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Edited by A la prochaine

Act 2, you reminded me of my hubby....who was given a Jazz Fender bass about 2 yrs ago. I basically haven't seen him since. He spends hours just plunking that thing along side albums of Wynton Marsalis, MaryLou Williams, John Mayer, Herbie Hancock, Diana Krall, Bill Evans and even Kim Mitchell.

Uh oh - I'm committing a serious sin here - "thou shalt not covet another man's bass" - - ooops - did I say that out loud? :( Ala, I used to have a Fender Jazz Bass years ago - perhaps you've read my sob story on this thread - oh well - it's all music under the bridge...But anyway sounds like your hubby gets into my favorite thing to do - play bass along side albums....

...Which is something I'll be getting back into shortly. Hopefully I'll remember how to play the dang thing!.. Socks, the Guitar Center called me and said those Fender Taped Bass Strings are in that I ordered. I've been sprucing up my Kramer - when I put it all back together and re-string it I'll post a picture of it here - I'm kinda proud of the unusual "paint job" I did to it. Well....it's not actually a paint job. It had an ugly factory burnt orange paint job on it. I had such a hard time stripping that off - I wound up resorting to burning it off with a propane torch. It left some charred areas - I sanded - lightly stained it and put a clear finish on it.

...And speaking of playing - that gets me wondering about something. I'm a self-taught bass player [taught myself everything I know - the lesson was cheap and only took 3 minutes - :) ]. I've got a wooden ear - and so would think in terms of patterns on the bass neck. That's pretty easy with only four strings tuned in fifths. Tried playing lead guitar a few times but that B string always screwed me up - couldn't work around the speed-bump. What do you guitar pickers do? Seriously. What goes on in your head? I had to make a conscious effort to shift from the G to the B - screwed with my whole pattern process.

Edited by T-Bone

T-Bone....

I think I missed your sob story :blink:

Can you direct me to what page I might find it on this thread... over 40 pgs on this dang thing.. i could be here for hours :yawn1:

I'm sure he will be glad to hear another kindred soul is out there and plunking as he is. His all time thing, he has told me, is to own an upright. OH MY :unsure: I think we'd have to sell one of the children in order to make room for one of those things... we have such a small house.

I'm off to make supper and do whatever needs doing since I've ignored my domestic duties by being here. :who_me:

aurevoir :wave:

Edited by A la prochaine

T-Bone....

I think I missed your sob story :blink:

Can you direct me to what page I might find it on this thread... over 40 pgs on this dang thing.. i could be here for hours :yawn1:

I'm sure he will be glad to hear another kindred soul is out there and plunking as he is. His all time thing, he has told me, is to own an upright...

Sure Ala - it's post # 583, posted June 22 2006 9:10 PM:

http://www.greasespotcafe.com/ipb/index.ph...9320&st=575#

I tell yah - when I first picked up the electric bass - I soon became fascinated with the upright bass. Tried playing one a few times. Oh man - I was lost - no fret marks - disoriented with the vertical position of the neck - I sounded like a sick whale...

Edited by T-Bone

T-Bone----------- The string thing------ You've spent your whole life looking at clocks. There are 12 hours. Coincidentally there are 12 tones in a scale, 12 major keys, 12 minor keys, etc. ------Now picture a clock that has tones/keys/chords in place of the numbers. Google "circle of fifths" for a visual image. I also play bass so this is helpful in moving around the fretboard. Starting with you open strings, you will find that moving from low to high pitch corresponds with moving counterclockwise on the clock/circle of fifths. You will actually be moving in fourths. Your sequence will be 4 o'clock, 3 o'clock, 2 o'clock, 1 o'clock. Now if you are playing a six string, this is the point at which you go back to 5 o'clock and then 4 o'clock. It makes a whole lot more sense if you are actually looking at the "clock". I also use the circle of fifths when I play harmonica. Most blues, rock, country etc. is played in what is called 2nd position by harp players. If the band is in the key of "c" (12 o'clock) I simply move counterclockwise one hour (11 o'clock) and that is the key of the harmonica I need to play in "c". ( that would be an "f" since "f" lives at the 11 o'clock position.) Sounds a lot more complicated than it is. Once you can picture that clock with tones/keys/chords like you did with hours as a youngster some of it will fall into place.

T-Bone,

OH sigh :( .. quite the SOB story...but I know... I did it too.

I threw out all my high school year books cause I thought they were 'devilish'.

And, hubby threw out all his music programs he had collected over the years when he played in orchestras and sang in choirs. He still sobs about that one at times.

But, I guess this is a 'guitar' thread..right..and i shouldn't blither about 'THE CULT'. :cryhug_1_:

Chas...

Cool instrument.

Hubby did play cello for a bit in University, played in a cello quartet. So, I think the uprightness of the instrument wouldn't be too much for him to handle...not sure.. it's the SPACE and of course the $$$! :o

StrangeONE,

Of course...how could I forget... :asdf:

I love the ways of the seamonkeys...they are so endearing and kind and gentle :love3:

I feel a group monkey hug coming on... :knuddel:

Edited by A la prochaine