GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

Tom, no, sadly I never did. Let's see, they're almost $3,000 new now, in '62-4, I think they were $1,000 - one/tenth of the worth of my dad's house! But, a pattern was set...

well... we could have a car wash or a bake sale... we could get it for you in no time at all!

And thank you for the story... I haven't listened to JW in a long time... but always liked his "stuff" and appreciated it even though I was 'non-musical'...

...so... what do you guys think about another of our Texans (though sadly departed from this earthly plane)... SRV?

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love Stevie Ray Vaughn's Guit-tar playin. Sad he croaked. But hey, there is a kid here in Juneau named Sammy Somebody who plays guitar in his band Daddio. And he has done his homework on SRV. I swear, the kid is only 25 or 26 but he can play like lightning, and can really do SRV's songs awesome justice. real heart. Daddio came up to Haines, AK a couple of years ago to play at the Southeast Alaska State Fair, and he came and jammed with we Chilkats at the notorious Harbor Bar, and for me to play with him and my keyboard friend Luckey Walker was so dang nice! Plus, he asked us after we did a few numbers if we wanted to play "I'm Goin Down" by Jeff Beck. And I said; "well yeah, I'm game to give it a go". Of course it was nothing for him and Luckey, but I'd never attempted to play harmonica along with that song by Jeff Beck. In fact, I hadn't even heard it for years. But, it ended up being an awesome jam that went on for a really long time with everyone taking leads at times, and I got to sing some too which was way cool. The owner of the bar dug it so much he rang the bell, which means drinks are on the house. Fun for me because I don't get the opportunity to play with good people all that often.

What was also cool, was that there was a Canadian band that came down from the Yukon, and their drummer was this tough chick from Austin Texas. She was just filling in I guess. She wore a ball cap and was a kick a s s drummer. At any rate, turns out she used to hang out with Stevie Ray Vaughn back in the days before fame and after, and when we played "Pride And Joy" with Sammy on guitar, this tough gal just melted and got all choked up, and came and talked to us after that. Told us that Sam had really done his homework as she put it. Turns out she played bass really well, and so she went to her hotel and got it and we had us a fine jam that night. The tips were great too, and after we split it up, I walked off with forty five bucks! I thought to myself; "Hey, I'm a professional!" Funny, that thought. We played til dawn and after. Well, the sun was back up at 0300 anyway, being Alaska and all. But we didn't stop till about 0530, and then we all went to breakfast. Very cool time, for me anyway. And this same kid is down here in Juneau with his band, but I don't get out so much anymore. Too much driving to go to the clubs downtown. Yeah, a whole fifteen miles one way...

Edited by Jonny Lingo

Hey. I have an idea:

You know that radio show on NPR called "Car Talk" with "Click and Clack"? One of you guitar maestros (who know way more about guitars than me) should start up a talk radio show called "Guitar Talk". Yeah. Get your self a nice Brooklyn accent goin on, take calls, talk about guitars just like we are doing here, do adds for Fender, Gretsch, Silvertone, Gibson, and all the rest, and you could make millions! You could have guests such as Johnny Winter, Eddie Van Halen, Jeff Beck, Sunesis (unless you decide to be the host Sunesis), Socks, Doc Watson (should he continue to keep on livin for awhile-how old is he?), Danny Hoeffer (he's pretty good, right? What happened to him?), and Jonny Lang and all of the rest of the Greats. Shoot. Whole shows could be devoted to Jimmy, Chet, Les, Stevie Ray, Bo Diddley, Clapton, Buchannon, Blind Melon Chitlin...

That could actually be a pretty cool thing. "Guitar Talk". Ya see, I have noticed that there is definitely a certain "lingo" (no pun intended) that seems to go with all of youz who really know your guitar stuff. I don't have it. I don't know Jack. But you all do. Sunesis, Socks, Bluzman, Diazbro, etc...

I think Sunesis should be the host, because not only are you a hot guitarist, you are hot. Really, someone like you doing "Guitar Talk?" Yeah... :) You have a really nice voice you know. I still remember it...

Just think of it, you could talk accoustic steel string, hardcore heavy metal, nuttin but the blues, bluegrass, Gibson hollow body electric jazz, Dobros, why, it would be endless! A veritable gold mine of conversation and "Guitar Talk". Oh well, just a thought... :dance:

Edited by Jonny Lingo

I always knew I was in the presence of greatness - those are some stories y'all have!

======================

Okay, maybe you've heard of this guy - but my favorite guitarist is Derek Trucks. This guy has a band - they have guest singers sometimes, but he plays slide guitar sooooo well that they don't need a singer. Trucks is sort of a protege - he started playing at like 9 years old, and is the newphew of Butch Trucks (Allman Brothers' drummer). He sat in with the Allman Brothers when he was like 12 or 13. He's only like 26 or 27 now - and something else to listen to. My favorite album is Soul Serenade - but Joyful Noise is also a great album. If you like Winters, etc. - you'll probably dig Trucks, especially his earlier stuff...

Aaaaah....guitar talk...I like it JL! Sunesis, glad you're here, love the read. :wave: Always enjoyed hearing you! No wonder JW did!

NPR "Guitar Talk!" well, someone should do it! I listen to an FM station, think it's KRSH up here in Northern Cal, has a show called "Blues with Bowker", great blues show, Bill Bowker's been around a long time and plays some great stuff.

JL. Danny's up in Seattle Washington. Spoke to him a few weeks ago, after many years. He's doing well, and yes, Danny's an excellent guitarist. Still plays - check his biz at American Music.

Albert Collins is definitely one of my favorites too! Posted awhile back on meeting him when I was a wee teenager, playing a Telecaster myself at the time. Great blues player and performer. Not many blues guitarists can say they haven't picked up some stuff from The Freeze. :dance:

SRV - oh yeah. He really defined a sound, that "Texas" sound they call it, although there's a lot of sounds in the Lone Star state. In his absence I think Doyle Bramhall's been doing that sound justice. Doyle's been around quite awhile, since the Arc Angels, and now off and on still with Storyville, plus his solo stuff. Definitely worth checking out. He's got some very hot sound on the Arc Angels tunes "Sent by Angels" and "Living in a Dream". Charlie Sexton was with them, and in Storyville too, great slide guitarist.

One thing SRV brought back was the battered battleaxe guitar. Unfortunately the 2nd generation that's followed his style tend to distress their guitars early, sanding off portions to simulate the look of a worn off finish. Saw Kenny Wayne Shepherd a few years ago, and was immediately turned off by his nearly new Strat, with a fresh sand job done to the outer body where his arm rubs. It was so obvious it was almost funny except that he ruined a very nice Strat to try and add some cool to his look. As Frank Zappa once said "I don't wear a guitar, I play it". :biglaugh:

Los Lonely Boys do some nice Strat-blues rock too! Saw them last year, and they really have that high energy sound of youth mixed in with their blues-rock. They really kicked it, hard. Very hot, very good.

Here's something a little different - some Mike Bloomfield - definitely one of the best electric blues guitarists of the 60's and 70's! At the height of his powers as they say, he was off the chart, technique, style, chops, foundation.

Saw him at the Fillmore during two of the "Super Session" live gigs they recorded. The first night he was all over it, kind of hammy in his sincerity and very much wired to the point that his intro that's on the record opening caught a little of the laughter when he started his "one-two, one-two" rap. He was just wound very tight, to say the least but he played extremely well. Literally bug eyed by the middle of the first set. He was something to watch, the intensity of his playing.

Second night he was fuzzy, wandering around the stage a little too much but still playing like a fiend. And the final tune, "Refugee" has the big clang on the record because he swung his guitar down to signal the end and the strap fell off his guitar and he just kind of swacked it down and lost it, and it banged down on the floor. It was a moderately uncool move, he picked it up and he had to be steered offstage. I didn't go for the rest of the gigs, but he didn't make it for them as he was hospitalized for..."insomnia".

But he could play, and if not for the drug use he might still be with us today. A guitarist who draws a lot on his sound is Robben Ford. He's stil around, saw him a couple years ago in Marin County, extremely nice guy, very approachable.

We still have the music though and I love his tuff. Some of Mr. Bloomfield at his best to share....Don't Think About It Baby (might take a second to load...you can load it or save it)

:dance::dance::dance:

Edited by socks

Chas - Derek Trucks!!!!!

:) :) :)

Joyful Noise is a GREAT album, I love his sound! He really has a great style and is very diverse, doing some very interesting things with blues and other kinds of music. D Minor Blues is a great tune too off that album. Footprints off the first album, great.

He's coming to S.F. and I want to catch him.

Tom, the truth isn't out there, it's here...and it's amazing....!

Chas, Sune will be back to answer for herself, but I can say - well, I can't remember the year(s) - must have been around mid to late 70's? I remember Sunesis at Emporia, playing great stuff and at the Way Nash in the summer. She's a great guitarist. There's some very good musicians come through the Way over the years, and it's great to read everyone's stuff. :)

Edited by socks

Ahh! Amazing! Plucks at my heart strings as I look back on that Amazing thread. I wonder if Johnny Winter knew?

Oh and Socks. Bummer about Kenny Wayne Shepherd and his sanded down guit-tar. I mean, old Willy Nelson has an amazingly worn down guitar where the pick guard was/is. But I think it was worn down in an authentic manner, unlike KWS's guit-tar....

Socks, you saw Bloomfield doing live Supersession? Wow! He is also one of my all time favorites. The first blues tune I ever tried to learn doing lead was Green Onions on the Live album. I still listen to it today and make my bands play it! It still gives me chills - something about that particular solo. Too bad he was a junkie - he was just awesome -died way too young. And, he is why all your '59 Les Pauls are going for $250,000 today. No one cared about them until he used his on Supersession - all of a sudden everyone from Clapton and on had to have one. His tone is magnificent on that record.

No, I was never really in Way Prod. I think a female lead player was a bit much for VPW. In residence I played (and coordinated my last year in-residence) the corps "dance band" at Emporia - we did rock, had some great musicians. On staff at Emporia I was in the staff "dance band" also with Rick Panyard (formerly of Good Seed) and some others - that also rocked.

Then, my last year on staff at Emporia, DM had been after me for years because, of course, God had greater things in store for me, that I should quit music and sell my guitars. Like an idiot, I did. My friend at the local Emporia music store was so alarmed I was selling off my stuff! I brought my guitars in and told him I was selling them to get a motorcycle (he would of thought I was nuts if I told him the real reason). This guy, Mr. "Unbeliever" (who I'd hang out with, go to clubs with, and through him knew the local bands in town and had jammed with them and was asked to join one) was so alarmed, he even offered to loan me the money for the bike. It still po's me off today, some of those guitars are worth thousands now, fortunately, I have been able to acquire those back (not the ones I had, but the same year and models).

Then, my last year on staff at hq, before I got fed up and left, I hadn't really played for a couple of years, they decided to do a country band and I was drafted - I was not blessed about this. I think Joyful noise and others were disbanded by this time. I pretty much hated country back then. Then, the bass player left and I had to play bass, which I had never played before, but I knew my scales for each chord, so it was really pretty easy. Several times I threatened to quit because I hated it. Then, they wanted me to wear a dress while playing and I said absolutely not. Finally, thank God, it was disbanded.

I went on the field in NYC. It still took me a year or so to think maybe it was ok with God if I played again. One day, I just went and bought a guitar. I realized, all the years in TWI I had not kept up with what was current in lead playing. What was great for the '70s was now quaint. It was the '80s - hair metal baby!!! I spent about 6 months catching up and getting up to speed learning Van Halen, Randy Rhodes, George Lynch, the super "speed" players of metal at that time. After that, I was in hard-core "thrash" metal bands in NYC, then later formed my own, more rock oriented bands. I had a blast.

So, no Way Prod. for me - which was a dissapointment because I had wanted to play with them since I saw them in High School. I used to drive up from Columbus and watch them rehearse.

When I left H.Q. to go on the field, Cliff Adelman came up to me one day and said, you know, we were talking about who was the best rock guitarist in the ministry, it was between you and Danny Hoefer. I said, well thank you. He then looked at me and said, your problem is, you are ahead of your time. I know VP just really could not accept a female lead rocker. Oh well.

Ya know Sunesis, I remember when you were a WOW in my area and when Harvey Platig started coming to twig. And how everyone ranted over Harvey's guitar playing as if you weren't a guitar player at all. The only time I heard you play then was when I went to your house and visited you with that girl Jan whom you witnessed to, and I was amazed. I was always thinking that you and he should get together and play twin leads together. I was really into the Allman Brothers Band and loved the twin guitar leads they played in their songs. At least, that's what I called it, when there was two guitars playing a solo but together and in harmony. But it seemed that Harvey was the "new guy sensation" with the band he was in and all that...

I remember the dance band deal at Emporia. I am thinking that you played at one of the Christmas parties there. And, you cracked me up just a bit ago when you said that they tried to make you wear a dress. Yeah, I can just see you up there in a long formal gown playing bass. Somehow, it just wouldn't have been you at all. Anyhoo, glad to know that you got back to doing what you love so well.

Gosh. The "Way Prod" thing. Seems kind of "gaggy". Once, my wife and I played at Corps Week for the whole Corps in a talent night kind of a thing back in 1985 I think it was. We had to go back stage of the big top for "make up" and "hair coiffing", and just before us was this really effeminate Atheletes Of The Spirit Dancer dude getting his "face done" by Murphy Galbreath, and he was terribly upset by this zit that he had on his face while Murphy consoled him. It was way weird as we listened, waiting our turn. We'd just come in from Alaska, and here we were in this "faux broadway backstage dressing room scene" and all we were gonna do is go up there, and strum the guitar and sing this Mexican soundin funny song I wrote called "Sittin On Top Of The Heap", my one hit wonder believer song. And, at least the song came off well and everybody laughed. But the whole scene was really weird. I never had any big talent at all, but I am glad I stayed away from all of that.

Oh wait GUITARS:

And the guitar I used was my wife's Guild. Really nice. Good action, big sound. When she graduated highscholl in Texhoma, OK, he mom drove her down to Amarillo and let her pick any guitar she wanted. Her choices came down to either a Martin, a Gibson with a dove inlaid on it somewhere (up by the pegs?) and the Guild D-50. She liked the Guild. I think it was five hundred bucks back then in 1974. It's still a really nice guitar today...

Edited by Jonny Lingo

Sunesis - thanks for the history - I bet you really shred with the best. You named EVH, and Randy Rhodes - how about Steve Stevens? Great guitarist! Sad that VPW was so stuck in the 194_'s - couldn't see talent over sex - how lame!

==============

Mr. Lingo - you wrote about KWS's guitar - I hate it when people destroy a perfectly good instrument. Likewise, I hate it when Fender, or whomever, makes Relics (when they dent, ding, and purposefully make instruments look worn) - those are for POSERS! The real thing - like SRV's guitar or Willie's guitar, is a different thing. Personally, I think Willie kept that ol' rattle trap of a guitar around because the IRS couldn't claim it had any value! LOL! (Not true today!)

Chas, I liked Steve Stevens alot, but since I was never really a fan of Billy Idol, I wasn't as into him as others were. Also, Vito Bratta of White Lion was an excellent player too.

About SRV, he really appeals to an archtype - something deep in all men, something unconscious they relate to. There really is a worship of SRV - I've come to a conclusion its a guy thing. I like him a lot, but, I loved Albert King. Listen to Albert King, that's where SRV got almost every lick he ever played. He even copped Albert's tone - the tone of a humbucker neck pickup - SRV got it on the strat. I have most of his albums, but think Albert is more the "real deal." In fact Albert himself felt that way. At one point he told SRV, if I had a nickel for every lick you took off of me, I'd be a rich man. Later, Albert asked SRV to lend him some money for something, like $500. SRV later mentioned it, and Albert said, I'm keeping it, that's my payment.

The album they did together is excellent and I think Albert shows SRV how its done on several spots on that CD. Kenny Wayne, Johnny Lang, John Meyers, etc., it seems most blues people are now SRV clones.

Now, an amazing player and with amazing tone is Robin Trower - he makes a strat sing. So does Jeff Beck, another incredible player. If you want great LP tones - Warren Haynes of Gov't Mule and some of Dicky Betts' solo albums are great.

Jonny, it is amazing all WP put you through to sing a song isn't it? And long gowns for women all the time, and heaven help anyone if they didn't smile - constantly.

Edited by Sunesis

THIS song by Albert is, in my opinion, some of his best licks.

And Robin Trower, that's a name you don't hear a lot of people mention! Dicky Betts, last time I saw him was at the Hordes Tour in 92 or 93 at Polaris with the Allman Brothers. Thier encore was Whippin' Post and they jammed on it for like 20 minutes. It was great! Of course, MOST songs they do live turn into a never ending jam!

Rick

Now, an amazing player and with amazing tone is Robin Trower - he makes a strat sing. So does Jeff Beck, another incredible player. If you want great LP tones - Warren Haynes of Gov't Mule and some of Dicky Betts' solo albums are great.

I think I've got "Bridge of Sighs" around here somewhere... from that same era I liked that first album that Peter Frampton did after he left Humble Pie (I think it was 'Wind of Change')... not along the blues line, but I (the untrained) think he's a fine quitarist is David Gilmour... and the earlier Boz Scaggs (another Texas guy), on his self-titled album he and Duane Allman are together on 'Loan me a dime'...

"Loan Me a Dime" :) Great tune. Scaggs has got such a good feel on that album. "Long Gone" brings back memories. Great stuff.

Speaking of Stratocaster players, we're off tonight to hear one, with Bill Champlin's band, the reunited "Sons of Champlin". Heard Champlin last year, and he's as hot as ever. Champlin had one of the better SF Bay Area bands of the 60's, (musicianship wise, probably the best) then went solo to make a few million bucks writing tunes like "September Song" for Earth Wind and Fire, then was with Chicago for several years after Peter Cetera left. ("Hard Habit to Break" is one of his tunes) He's back up in Northern California and is doing a lot of the Sons catalogue. Those of you who remember Skip Mesquite, sax - he's playing, taking the call when it comes in and is in the horn section tonight with the Sons. Love the Skeets, he and his wife are two of our favorite people on the planet, and he's playing great! I'll try to keep up with his calendar and post it here, if you like funky stuff, Skip's got it. They're at Mystic Theater in Petaluma, CA. tonight.

Bill's got this guitarist with him playing, Carmen Grillo and he was on a Strat last time we saw him. He's a burner, does all the riffs you know and love and then a lot more. Looking forward to it. Terry Haggerty was the original Sons guitarist, a unique player at the time, jazzer, playing a big Gibson L-5. Always one "tab" into either a great night or a strange night whenever they played, and I saw them dozens of times. The new Sons are solid, funky and with Champlin singing and playing organ - it's all good! :dance:

Edited by socks

You know that radio show on NPR called "Car Talk" with "Click and Clack"? One of you guitar maestros (who know way more about guitars than me) should start up a talk radio show called "Guitar Talk". Yeah. Get your self a nice Brooklyn accent goin on, take calls, talk about guitars just like we are doing here, do adds for Fender, Gretsch, Silvertone, Gibson, and all the rest, and you could make millions! You could have guests such as Johnny Winter, Eddie Van Halen, Jeff Beck, Sunesis (unless you decide to be the host Sunesis), Socks,

Doc Watson (should he continue to keep on livin for awhile-how old is he?)

Doc turned 83 last Friday, March 3rd. :B)

Edited by dmiller

Damn, Socks, I am envious. I know, I know, envy is a sin, but, it must be nice to be around the music like that. Tonight, we are going to watch the Johnny Cash movie with Joachin Phoenix.

And, nice to here about Skip. Great to know that he is not only playing but performing. Have a great night! :dance:

JL

Oh, and DMiller, after I posted, I noticed your mention of Doc Watson's 83d birthday. So cool that he's still with us. Is he still playing? Man oh man what a picker he is! A few of my favorite songs of his are "Shady Grove", "That Train From Danville", And of course, "Tennessee Stud". Wow, what a player! Shoot, there is nothing that he plays that I do not love...

Edited by Jonny Lingo