GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

I know nothing about electrical guitars, having only owned acoustic ones.

The only one I have now is a Martin D-35 (1968 model) -- the last year they were able to use Brazilian Rosewood for the back and sides. Here is a pic of it (from the ELDERLY SITE

10U-3391_body-back_sm_.jpg10U-3391_body-front_sm_.jpg

Mine is pretty rough looking (the pickguard came off years ago, and it sounded so good without it, I never put it back on), but despite that fact, the thing BOOMS!! It's a bluegrass guitar, and maybe not for beginners, but I like it none-the-less. :)

I like to use medium gauge bright bronze strings on it (also NOT for beginners), but if you were to pick up a decent acoustic guitar, and put lighter gauge strings on it -- it would work well for a beginner. The only time I have used *flat-wound* strings, is on a dobro I used to have, since the bronze ones made too much of a *raspy* sound on the resophonic guitar.

I learned on a nylon string guitar, and those strings (though they still hurt the fingertips right at first), hurt less than the steel, or bronze strings do. I personally like to play in jam sessions, parking lot picking, out in the fields at bluegrass festivals, etc., where *dynamics* of the instrument project the sound, rather than electronics.

I have played that thing on stage a lot, but there the electronics needed to produce real projecting sound to the audience, come from the PA system rather than the instrument itself.

So -- a quick recap ---

Get a good quality acoustic (if that is what you are looking for),

buy lighter gauge strings (easy on the fingertips for beginners)

look for *low action* (strings pretty close to the fingerboard,

so you don't have to press down so hard right at first,

and be willing to practice, even though it will hurt for about a week.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meebe I should add a *PS* here ----

From what I have seen (these days), there are a lot of good acoustic instruments out there.

Although I am not in the market for a new guitar, I look at prices, quality, sound, etc., at music stores, pawn shops, on and on when I am there perusing their stock. A new $700.00 guitar (no matter what make) will usually sound pretty good. All $1,000.00 models will sound about the same as each other as well.

A lot of *introductory models* (at say --- $700.00) will all be quite playable, easy to learn on, and most likely something worth hanging onto if you just want to learn how to play the thing around a campfire, in a living room, or just for yourself.

A friend of mine picked up a cheap *no namer* from a pawn shop here in town for $100.00 bucks a coupla years ago, and it sounds almost as good as my Martin (I paid $450.00 bucks for it back in 1972), which is now worth close to 4 grand. :(

Thanks for the tips... my brother in law found some guitar at a pawn shop that was selling for real cheap (like $25) because they said it was "broken"... he takes a look at it and buys it... turns out there was something that was put in backwards by who ever had it before (what I don't know) and all he had to do was turn it around and it was perfect...

This guitar, and I don't know what it's called, was made by some company in Japan that had taken some 'top of the line' Martin over there and just copied it completely... he had printed out something from the interenet about it... and they only made so many before they were stopped by Martin from making them...

It sounds really sweet... wish I could remember the name though... looks just like your guitar Dave...

Hey, it's alive! Welcome sunesis. Bluzman, there's beer in the back of the barber shop, usual place. :biglaugh:

Got the Sunn used, diszbro, it's a 70's top, but still works without a problem. Good volume, not a really diverse tone but effective. The Spider's a Line 6, think I had Lab Series on the brain. :)

Nice Martin dmiller.

I like to use medium gauge bright bronze strings on it
Good tone, no doubt. Definitely a great guitar for bluegrass!

Strings - Chas's got it, Tom. Flats = flat wounds. The 3rd (sometimes) 4th, 5th and 6th strings have a core string that's wrapped. Where "round wound" strings are standard (ubiquitous!) the flat would have a mellower, smoother sound. Look like they're wrapped in little metal ribbons, and don't make a rubbing sound when they're played. So there's round wound, flat wound and now "half-wound" strings, that are basically round wound with the uh roundness flattend a little. They're actually nice sounding strings.

I went from 009'-.46's and crept up to a heavier E and A, and then went to an .010 on the E. I have two guitars set up with light gauge and a "heavier" light gauge sets. I like something in the .050 and up range on the low E.

But for stretching inside the chords on the G and D strings, I need them lighter or the fingers twist up. I found a nice sound where you use a bar chord, like an A 5th fret, and drop the 3rd on the G string down a step from C# to the B, and stretch that back up with the index finger, and stretch it up a half step to D with the middle finger. It's a little weird but easy once you I got the feel for it. It similates a pedal steel sound fairly well for melodies. Likewise stretching the 5th strings on the bottom of the chord. When the strings are too light it's easy to go sharp but when it's a blend of heavier on top and bottom and light in the middle I think it allows for better control.

But I still struggle with string brands. Was using Elixirs for a few years, and liked them. Fairly expensive but seemed worth it. Then I got a few sets that were dusty, had to clean them before they felt right. And several sets in a row had small dings in the windings. I have a magnifier lens/light and I put a set under it and examined them closely and found imperfections all over the place. Another set, couple, not quite as bad. But a few I could feel when they were on. That was very disappointing, given they run about 15-16 bucks normal retail. I get them for about 11 bucks, but still.

What brands do you all use? Any better than another? (I was even sorely disappointed with some "Les Paul" brand strings which played - not good) :( I'm using D'Addarios now - they seem as good as any.

Tom, Taylor's a good brand too. Worth the money, good sound. Check those bad boys out HERE.

This guitar, and I don't know what it's called, was made by some company in Japan that had taken some 'top of the line' Martin over there and just copied it completely... he had printed out something from the interenet about it... and they only made so many before they were stopped by Martin from making them...

It sounds really sweet... wish I could remember the name though... looks just like your guitar Dave...

Tom --- I'm thinking the brand name was *TAKAMIME* (or something like that).

Kinda like Epiphone, which was/is a subsidiary of Gibson.

Good guitar -- made by Gibson, but didn't have the Gibson label.

Edited by dmiller

and the knowledge flowed like rivers of living water... thanks folks, again

Wow... those Taylor's, there's so many of them... and a lot of famous people use them...

Which brings me to another question... I was looking on their website and they offer guitars made out of different woods... I'm sure they have different characteristics... can anyone share on those? While you're sharing about your other stuff...

thanks again...

Thanks dmiller. I'm going to get a set of John Pearse's for my Takamine. It could use a little brighter sound. It's maple archtop and smaller body gives it a 'jazz' sound, in fact it was Takamine's one model they put out like that, for about a year. I'll check 'em out. I really like the John Pearse thumb amd finger picks, although I don't use them much at all I got some given to me at one point and I keep them in my bag o' stuff.

Woods - spruce is a popular wood for the tops of guitars. Rosewood is common for the sides and backs, the bodies. Lots of different types for each - Sitka and German are common spruce woods and Brazilian and Indian for rosewood. Koa is also used a lot for the bodies now, maple some and walnut.

Electric guitar bodies like Stratocasters, Les Pauls, have "solid" bodies, where they're made out of one piece of wood, or two pieces joined at the center, usually matching or close to it if they have a clear finish. Common body woods are alder, ash, maple, basswood. Leo Fender originally built his bodies using ash and maple for his necks. That's very common now, although it was a new idea in his day. Most necks, including many Fender necks now, have a rosewood or ebony wood fingerboard over the neck. That's why Fender necks look light colored on the fingerboard where you put your fingers and others will look darker that have a rosewood fingerboard. Rosewood fingerboards have a rounder, smoother sound and the maples a bit sharper, "brighter" sound.

A lot of electric guitars will have the body made out of one kind of wood and a thinner veneer on the top made of another wood, like maple. This reduces the cost some and also reduces the weight of the guitar as a solid maple body is heavier. In some cases the top veneer is fairly thick if it's a "carved" top, an archtop, where the shape raises slighly in the center, like a Les Paul or some of the other solid bodies that will incorporate that shape into the design. My favorite combination is a Telecaster body like the one I have, with the archtop configuration. It allows for a good combination of woods and a great look I think.

But that's just for starters. :) Others probably know more, and there's LOTS more!

BTW, "Vintage Guitar" magazine is a great source for information. It's a big honkin' monthly mag that's always filled with 100's of ads for guitars and good articles on all things guitar.

Edited by socks

Socks,

When we knew each other back I guess it was 84/85 somewhere there or was it later? Anyway was C**** and his television commercial wife still in the area? Don't know why but I was wondering and thought I'd ask cause I was trying to remember if you guys performed together in our area and I was blanking on that.

My brother as you may know died a few years after my sister. He made his 40's but she never did. Anyway he had a beautiful Fender (? details) that he kept in controlled storage at my mothers home in that same area we all lived in Florida where John and Hope stayed faithful not to leave. When my brother died that piece hadn't been noted as where it would go, after all in my brothers mind he was still young, and he was. But my step father gave the piece to my father after the funeral. The scene in itself was one of those you're thankful you were a part of but at the same time you wished you'd never had to encounter. My father is a wonderful strummer of anything with strings and he gently took that guitar from the hands of a man with tears in eyes because he too had been a father to my brother. My father tried to speak but ended up clearing his throat while trying to control his emotions and he put the strap around his neck and began to play. It was as if my brother was in the room again and the air became electric and before long friends and family were singing and laughing at things my brother had done and then of him and our sister and while we cried we laughed at the incredible opportunity we'd all had to know them. And there was comfort brought on because that guitar began to play.

Hi CK - yes, they were. We did, few times but we didn't have the "Tink and Tank" show or anything. :) :biglaugh: Fun stuff, to bless as they say or used to say.

It was as if my brother was in the room again and the air became electric and before long friends and family were singing and laughing at things my brother had done and then of him and our sister and while we cried we laughed at the incredible opportunity we'd all had to know them.

Wow, thanks for sharing that with us Chattykathy. Instruments age as we do don't they? They grow with us, into us, around us. In a way they carry the music we made in them.

Long time ago I was told about a way to "break in" a new guitar, and age it a little faster. Keep it out in a stand near your stereo speakers so that the instrument would vibrate ever so slightly by the sound coming out of the speaker. The body would react in a similar way to being played, so that even if it was out in a room it would pick up sound waves, and of course heat, cold, dust so you'd have to be careful with it. Florida - I can appreciate the controlled environment storge - heat and humidity can be really rough on a guitar.

I liked the idea of having my guitars out and it made me feel more comfortable about it. They're made to be played. So I've had a ding or two here come up on guitars but I've tried to keep mine out safely so they can absorb the environment, and so my children would grow up used to having them around. I've never told them to put them down or not play them, I taught them how to handle them.

I thought of that with your brother's guitar and it being played by your Dad, being shared by your step-father like that. What a moment that must have been! :) Thank you for sharing it, now i have it too.

Edited by socks

My brother drove for CR England so his home was his cab which was like a small studio almost. Those things are amazing inside. You ever been inside one? But anyway, that was why the guitar was at my moms when he wasn't around playing it. He had another that stayed with him on the road but this one was special.

I was just talking to someone about how guitars age and can get worn in certain spots and body oils change the color. But despite all these changes in looks the sound can remain as vibrant. Perhaps some neck work here and there but its cool how a guitar can live a long life.

That's great how you handled the guitar with the kids. You taught them how to handle them not that they were 'no touching'.

Okay, y'all go back to the guitars again. And thanks for starting this thread Socks. :)

I recently played a McPherson guitar and thought it really had a great sound. It was an acoustical guitar with the sound hole above the strings and a narrow neck which was a nice feel for my short fingers.

Someone was asking about learning to play. I recently purchased Esteban's instructional guitar, amp and course for my son and have been amazed at how it has helped him progress. The cd's are a great instructional tool and has helped him relate with his teacher at the local guitar store.

i'll never forget my first electric guitar.

back in the early 60's sears and robuck sold silvertones

the guitar came in a case that was also the amp!! about 70 $ it was fun and i sure thoght i had something special!! but as we know guitars today we know that it was a real cheap set up but i was happy

anyone else remember this rig? or am i really dating myself :beer:

Edited by coolchef1248 @adelphia.net

Hi, everyone. Just want to be a part of this thread, looks like lots of fun. :biglaugh:

I dont know that much about them, I have been playing for quite a while or more accurately have owned one for quite a while.

I currently own an Epiphone Les Paul, dont know the year or anything else, has a sumburst finish.

I gave away my strat to a young aspiring guitarist when I got this one.

My wife got the strat for $60.00 form someone who found it in a closet in the apartment they moved into.

Neither one know the value, it had some cracks in the finish so to them it seemed like a fair price.

Speaking of Sears, my friend had a Sears electric guitar, I was stuck with possibly the cheapest acoustic my father could find.

His was easy to play, mine REAL hard. :realmad:

His had 4 pickups, which meant it HAD to be good! :thinking:

(we were 12 or so)

I just cant remember the name of the Sears one. Mine was Teleno (something like that), a regular boat anchor.

Saw a used one at the music store, would not sentance any kid to play it. :nono5:

Ken

Socks -- Strings = D'addario XL are about the best, although hubby just re-strung something (the Wildkat, methinks) and was banging on about the Fender strings. The D'addario strings have a cool feature - save the little envelope they come in and you can get t-shirts, bar stools, and other neat-o items. We've got enough for a barstool and three t-shirts! (I'm not kidding! Hubby's been saving up for years!)

About kids and guitars --

When we first got my bass we didn't have a case for it or a gig bag. We placed it on a guitar stand in a corner, wedged between two amps so the baby couldn't knock it on himself. Well, the little twerp would wedge himself in the corner and pluck away at the bass - happy as a clam. It was so funny - he looked like he was playing an upright bass! (He's super strong and very rough on guitars - but since that bass is such a battle axe we weren't concerned about him hurting it.)

If he's right handed, he'll be the kid who gets his dad's guitars (the oldest is a lefty - and will probably be a drummer... just his personality)

Tom -

Takamini was widely known for copying Martins in the late 70's. The other Japanese company known for making copies of guitars is IBANEZ - and some Ibanez guitars are actually better than the version they copied at that time! Ibanez did a copy of a Les Paul called a "59-er" that are actually better than the Les Pauls that were in production during that time. The name Ibanez is synonomous with "Law Suit" - they've been sued by Fender, Les Paul, etc. - my '79 Ibanez bass is a Fender P-Bass knock off (but plays better than a P-Bass, IMHO...)

Edited by ChasUFarley

He he!! Coolchef, that Silvertone ROCKS! :biglaugh: Chas, I've seen photos of the guy in White Stripes with his Airline guitar. That's "Monkey Wards" at it's best. ! Harmony and Kay made the guitars for Ward's and Sears. I thought they looked very cool. But sound wise - I knew a guy when I was about 11, who got one of their "triple pickup" models, sort of a Stratocaster on 'shrooms, cherry red, with a very thin tone and some kind of a molded plasti-wood body. But it seemed very cool at the time.

I'm going to try the J. Pearse's and get a couple more sets of D'Addarios Chas. I've been using them too now for awhile, they do seem as consistent as any other, so I'm glad to hear your husband uses them too. I tried some Fender's off and on, and they seem okay too. It's just such a pain to change strings more than I need to, which is about once a month these days. So I'm going to do some switching around as I go. I'll have to save the bags and get some cool stuff. :dance: A barstool...? SWEET!

That's funny about your son and the bass! And I agree, many of the Ibanez's hold up better for regular playing than their Fendar counterparts.

My son got a Fernandes Strat on sale about 11 years ago. It was a midnight sale or something at a local store, and we got it for 200.00 bucks, pretty decent Strat copy. I played it, it seemed solid. That guitar has held up better than any I've seen in the 2-300 dollar range. The neck has stayed true from day one and he's strung it up with heavy-heavy gauge strings, .013's are as light as he really likes.

He's a thrasher heavy metal enthusiast when it comes to guitars, like all kinds of music but when it comes to guitars he's in the sub-strata zone of heavy metal sounds. He has huge hands and fingers and he's double jointed in all his fingers and thumbs, (his sister has d-j'd thumbs and long wrists and fingers too). He can do some strange things with his hands and has a very long reach on the neck. So one of the biggest things for him was to find a comfortable way to hold the neck as it was tiny in his hands. We worked on it and he found his way in time. Plays his own style, has never been interested too much in learning music, just figures it out as he goes. His sister's the opposite, studies, practices, wants to know they why's and the wherefores. She took drum lessons for a couple years and studied meticulously - he sat down and got the feel soon enough and within a couple days was whacking away. Kids, different, but the same. :blink: :biglaugh:

wow - you said you have an Epiphone Les Paul. How do you like it? I've played some, played a couple of the "SG" models too. I like their dot 335's. What kind of amp do you play it through?

Speaking of strings, playing and sore fingers, I got 'em. Played a fair amount this weekend and danged if my fingertips aren't sore. It's weird - I used to get callouses, thick callouses that would peel off sometimes. Even when I played light gauge strings on a Les Paul. But it seemed like I only got the thick callouses when I was young. Now no matter how much I play they stay about the same. I've wondered if it's because my playing is more select now where I used to play more styles all the time....? dunno.

wow - you said you have an Epiphone Les Paul. How do you like it? I've played some, played a couple of the "SG" models too. I like their dot 335's. What kind of amp do you play it through?

Hi, socks.

I was in the market for a new axe, was just gonna get another Strat, but figgured I'd look around.

I tried the Les Paul, I could not put it down. :love3:

The sound was amazing. The action was nicer than the newer strats I tried.

The whole feel of it was just right, I knew I had to get it.

I have a small Fender (I think its 15 watts) amp, I use it more for church than anything, it fills the room nicely.

I have a distortion pedal which does its job nicely, but I really don’t like to use it unless necessary.

I'd rather play clean.

I tried a wah wah at a friends house, have always been intrigued by them, maybe Ill get one if the price is

right.

Sounds like you have allot of experience, have you played professionally or anything like that?

Ken