Guitar Talk

socks

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OMG - there's still over 8 days left on that auction - holy cow.

I love watching a good auction for a great guitar. Sadly, this one looks like it has some bucking where the body is bookmatched in the front - could be from lack of humidification - most acoustics need to be humidified, especially in the winter when it's the driest. However, considering how often that was played, it's in very good condition... hopefully the new owner will treat 'er right.

Chas, oh yeah, those kits look nice. Worth a little more, to be sure!

I love your sig by the way. Everytime I unwrap some cookies out of a bag and read on the back "this is not a toy, do not attempt to wear this as a hat or use as a floatation device"....I sigh. :biglaugh:

Zeppelin - "Whole Lotta Love" sort of says it all. I confess, to some derision I'm sure, I was never a great Page fan. I like his variety, but not his lead playing. But he made a great statement on that one plus the drums are perfect. Again, whosis always sounded a little too beery on the drums for me, but he's great on that song. And Stairway to Heaven, of course, the ultimate head-banger tune. Classic. They did do a couple good ones there, but I'm not all that familiar with the rest of their stuff.

I was never a Zepplin fan. I got so tired of "Stairway", and "Blackdog", that I gave up. As the years went by, I liked that song Far And Away or whatever it is called. But to me, The Allman Brothers Band ruled!

"Statesborough Blues, Whippin Post, Sweet Melissa, Southbound, Jessica, Pony Boy, Blue Skies, Ramblin Man, Dreams, Hot Lanta, In Memory Of Elizabeth Reid, etc...

Saw 'em (Zepplin) at the Baltimore Civic Center, but it just did not trip my trigger. I hated that guy's voice when he sang the "Immigrant Song". Burned my sensibilities...Rather listen to an ensemble of "Pentalaika" instrumentalists...

I wonder what those guys sound like, now that I am wonderin.....?

Edited by Jonny Lingo

Hey Jonny, Chas mentioned Derek Trucks. You should check him out if you haven't. Hes got it in his blood.

The Zepsters, I always had a bad spot for them, after they visited S.F. Bill Graham produced their concerts here and to read about it later, it was a lot of bad news all the way around. A friend of mine managed for Graham productions in the 90's and did the last Zeppelin tour for them in S.F. Said they were perfect gentlemen, and very subdued compared to their reputations. Course by then Bonham was dead. I guess you get older and everybody takes Tums, y'know? But overall, that quazi-witchcraft vibe Page put out was so corny it was hard to believe anyone took him seriously, but he definitely made his mark.

Speaking of auctions, I saw an Airline and a Silvertone go by, f-holes, looked nice, but the Ebay bids went too high for me. Not that high, but I missed the last shot, one went for about 300. Might have been tempted, but they be gone. :(

I'm keeping my eye out, sunesis. If I get a reasonably in shape f-hole like that for about 200, I'll be happy. :)

Been messing around with intonation, speaking of "in shape". Changing strings about every 2 weeks now. With the strings the same gauge the intonation doesn't need much adjustment. Both my Fernandes and Fender have long bridge saddles, plenty of room to tweak. The Fender has the standard kind of slotted saddle piece and the Fernandes has small rollers that the string sets is. I always us a tuner and check at the end by ear. Anybody have any tips they use for intonation adjustments on electrics?

On the bridge saddles (the one on the body of the guitar) I clean the string and saddle with a little bit of alcohol, then I also use a small, very small amount of lubricant on the metal saddle itself. Slip the string off and brush it with a little silicone based stuff using a lint free cloth.

On the headstock nut, I loosen the string and slip it off and brush the string with the same stuff and replace it in the slot and retune. Doing this helps to keep the string moving fluidly thru the slots.

Here's a link with a picture of the areas - A Fender Strat

These Ferraglides are similar to the ones on my Fender Tele - Saddles

Can't find a decent image of the roller saddles, but the're like little collars that allow for some extra smoothness for the string to return to position when the tremelo's used. They probably help, but I think having all the slots the strings rest in cut correctly, clean and slighly lubricated contribute more to that than anything, as if the string binds in those spots, it will get out of tune no matter what.

Edited by socks

Happy Saturday! Messing with a new tune lately, have the first part down, if you want to take a quick listen to a sample. Last week with all the bad weather it seemed appropriate. It's a rock kind of thing, sort of a cruiser. Not sure about the mix, the bass is a little boomy, maybe too strong. Not sure, still messing with it, it will have some open space in the middle for soloing.

Black Ice

( These mp3's are still kinda big so it may take a sec to open - there seems to be a hiccup right after they start playing, :blink: seems if you rewind back and start over after it starts it won't do that again).

I really like some of Zep's early stuff, like THIS one. Also, the Lemon Song, that was good, as was Prison Blues, although Prison Blues is a bit raunchy. Well, by todays standards, I guess it's pretty tame. :)

Rick

I love that Zep song!

Should I play my version of the Lemon Song? :redface2:

Um, nevermind I can't seem to find it. :unsure:

Edited by ChattyKathy

Sweeeettttt licks there, socks...

Reminds me of David Broza...

(After you click on the link, scroll down and sample some music. The second song, "A Night in Wyoming" is especially good.)

http://www.music.com/release/painted_postcard/1/

His album "Stone Doors" is my favorite - more rock than folk - but brilliant writing & arranging. I think you'd like him, from your sound...

Well, thanks! Glad everyone likes it. Still working on it, the opening melody line and harmony will repeat, with the harmony flipped up to 3rds and 5ths, an octave higher. It's an A-B-C "verse", and I'll proabably do something different with the C section to carry it into the open soloing. You could so almost anything with it, aminor pent, a major, g, c, f, d, dimished stuff, whutever.

David Broza - never heard him, but after listening I really like it Chas! Nice stuff, different, moving. He's certainly multi-cultural, very accessible music.

I love the mix of middle eastern rhythms with an r and b back beat holding it all down. He seems to pull some of that sound together in some stuff. Being mostly blues and rock based, I like to tweeze the straight minor pentatonic blues sound and work other scales with the same kind of a feel from blues. Not really original, but I would like to find a "sound" that works for me that's blues based and incorporates other stuff I hear. Like, I found a "pakastani sufi rhythm' that kicks :dance: and would fit perfectly with some stuff.

Anyhooo.... :wave:

coolchef, mineral oil works fine. I also know a guy who uses a little WD-40 to the same effect. Anything slippery that won't build up, and just a little, from my experience.

Once I - don't ask my why - used a q-tip to clearn around the slots. Ended up with little cottony squigs that were really difficult to get rid of. Now I use old t-shirts cut up. Perfect for cleaning, no dust or stuff gets carries along. And cheap!

There's another product out there called "Nut Sauce" that is supposed to be a good lubricant. Dunno, never tried it, although the pics show it comes in a cool little applicator. But I've never spent the dough to try it out. Plus, the name, the name. Anyway, I use my own "nut sauce", figuratively speaking. :biglaugh:

Ck, thsoe are great interviews! Where'd you get them? Nice! Pride and Joy sounds great with Albert King in the break. :) Very nice for a Sunday afternoon, thanks!

Ck, thsoe are great interviews! Where'd you get them? Nice! Pride and Joy sounds great with Albert King in the break. smile.gif Very nice for a Sunday afternoon, thanks!

Man, my posts are getting munched, separate posts keep showing up in the same post. Oh well, here goes.

Edited by socks

oh, great...

all this talk about guitars...

and hubby thinks he needs another one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

he hasn't bid yet, but is absolutely drooling over this... he wants to bid on it before auction end...

HELP!

Is there a cure for G.A.S. (Gear Aquisition Syndrome)?

My livingroom already looks like a music store! (When it doesn't look like a toy store!)

Somebody should buy it!

The Seymore Duncon pickup

The ash wood body is probably a lighter ash, nice bright tone.

Floyd Rose trem, "Blocked", means it only goes down lowering the note when it's pushed down. More stable than a standard set up.

.010's are the string gauge, 010 being the gauge of the 1st "E" string. A "light gauge" string set.

Looks like a good deal! And it's red!

coolchef - coffee filters?

Edited by socks