• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Class delightful! I like it. Thanks.

Well...

Buchanan - an interview done with Ted Green by Jim Carlton contains the following quotes about Roy Buchanan:

JC: Roy Buchanan was great as well.

TG: I love Roy’s playing. Did you ever hear him with Bobby Gregg and Friends, in the early Sixties? They had a fairly popular hit, and Guitar Player even interviewed Roy in the very early Seventies, long before they put him on the cover. And in the interview, he mentions the cut, which is called “The Jam.” He said, “The Jam” in ‘62, but because of his thick Southern accent they printed, “The Jail Men” in ’62.”

JC: Oh, that’s funny.

TG: Yeah, he was playing a Tele and getting the best sound that I had heard to that date, and maybe still, for that kind of sound, I don’t know how he did it.

JC: Ever see that video tape of him playing “Misty,” where he was being produced by Mundell Lowe? I think I saw it on NET.

TG: Yeah, that’s a fairly famous piece of tape from the early Seventies. He was getting a great jazz sound on that Tele too, but I’ll bet I haven’t seen that in 30 years. Did you know that the Stones asked him to join their band?

JC: Yeah, I remember hearing that.

TG: He and Danny (Gatton) were cut from the same cloth in many ways.

JC: They were cross-town friendly rivals back in D.C.

TG: When Roy was on break, he’d call a bartender friend at the club where Danny was playing and ask him to leave the phone off the hook so he could listen to his solos. But they both influenced each other. There’s no doubt about it.

Interesting...Ted Green was a force of nature when it came to working music, voicings on the guitar, harmony theory and sounds. He played a Telecaster himself a great deal of the time.

Roy played a lot of stuff that never got on his earlier recordings, and shows up on videos like those on Youtube. While many musicians craft a style and do it well applying it to various styles of music, Buchanan had his own style and played others as eloquently.

Edited by socks

I wrote a fiddle tune called *Hostile Amish*, back in the mid 80's.

A friend of mine suggested I rename it *Buchanan's Retreat*,

when that OTHER Buchanan (Pat), ran for prez -- back whenever. :).

I kept the name Hostile Amish. Has a nice ring to it!

(starts out in Dm, and moves to D major -- back and forth).

Fine tune -- if I say so myself!

WHO WANTS THE TOP OF THE PAGE???!!!

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Ala -- Ya logged in???????? ;)

THE TOP OF PAGE 100 IS THERE FOR THE TAKING!

Edited by dmiller

Hi. Been awhile since I have been here. I have in my posession an Ovation "Ultra Series" acoustic guitar with an electric pick up in/on it. It is a "1528" model.

A friend wants to sell it to me. He bought it for a thousand dollars about four years ago at a local guitar store. These guys here usually charge higher than places down south, but for that cost, I am thinking that it may be a good guitar. The action is poor, because the strings are too high off of the fret board, so, I can't tell if I like it until I adjust the action. Anybody know how to do that? Also, it has been abused a bit (the owner is a drunk). It has a few dings in it, and, the pick up, when I plugged it into my Fender amp, did nothing more than make horrid electronic crackling sounds.

And so, with the dings and the bad pick up, the guy asked for $450.00 when he had it in the paper. No one even made an offer though. And when I said to him; "So, you want $450.00 eh?", He said, "well now, make me an offer, any offer". And that's when I told him that I'd have to put some new strings on it (it had only three left-the original ones), and try it out for awhile at my home, to which he readily agreed.

And so, here I am with it. Does anyone know about Ovations and this model in particular? Socks? This git-tar has a very shallow body, presumably because it was meant to be used with an amp and the pickup. I have another friend with a beautiful blonde Ovation that he paid $2000.00 for, and it has sensational sound, as far as I am concerned. I love playing it. I will ask him about this git-box also. But I thought surely that some one here can provide some good info and or advice.

Thanks! :wave:

JL

I got so excited being the 100th page poster...that i forgot that I should post something...uh well... guitarish... perhaps :huh: duh!

Playing on YOUTUBE came across the Canadian Guitar Festival 2006 videos.

I saw this guy

a couple years back at the Montreal Jazz Festival. Very accomplished. He's british. That's all I know about him.

Sings too.

Oh yeah. A la. That's right. Guitars.

Johnny Lingo! THIS LINK might give some pricing - scroll down - adjust for conditon...?

The Reference page, has a link at the bottom, HTML format, came right up, where you can scroll to the 1528. The year will have a lot to do with it - I read that these aren't made anymore, which could be a factor - ebay had one selling for under 300 bucks though, so ebay would be a good place to check the going price.

The action is poor, because the strings are too high off of the fret board, so, I can't tell if I like it until I adjust the action.

That could be due to several causes -

- height of the bridge saddle on the body - where the string rests, should be lowered. That itself isn't hard. Online it looked in the pics like the saddle is a one piece deal - can you tell if it is? Like one piece of white plastic or composite?

- height of the headstock saddle, at the end of the neck. That can be lowered too if needed, but has to be done carefully, a little goes a long way on that one.

- strings - if they're heavy gauge, "stiff" strings, they're pulling more on the neck, bowing it and making the playing action higher off the neck.

- the neck itself. This is really where you have to start - hold the body to your body and the neck away from you and look down the side edge of the neck straight away from you. Simple test - do you see big bow, where the neck in the middle of the fret area droops down?

That's a bad sign - worse is if the bow on both sides don't match, which means there's also a warp in the neck. That's probably not fixable - but might be. You'd have to get it looked at by someone who knows and has experience with Ovations.

If it's fairly straight but the strings are just high it's probably just needing the saddles taken down.

It should have a little bow in it, so a little is fine for most guitars.

Then just lay it down and press the low E string down on the neck at the 12 th fret and see how much space there is between the string and the frets at about the 6-7th fret - is there a lot? If there's a big bow in the neck you'll see it right off.

Adjusting a neck involves turning a metal rod that's inside the neck, using a small wrench that usually comes with the guitar. Turning that rod moves it against the inside, pushing against it or releasing pressure, and that changes the bow, and how flat the neck is from 1st to last fret. It can be tricky on an older guitar, when you don't know what's happened to it. Someone might have gotten on it and twisted it this way and that, and you have to know the kind of bar that's inside and how it's turning, and "feel" your way through it.

OR - just put on a new set of strings, light gauge, like a set that has an ".010" for the first string. Just get an acoustic set, light gauge and put them on and see what the neck does. It might settle down a bit with new strings. The saddle adjustments aren't that hard to do.

Might be a good deal, if the action is fixable. Ovations are nice sounding guitars!

Edited by socks

Jonny,

The very first guitar I owned was an Ovation. Now this was some 30 yrs ago. I didn't like it at all... it wouldn't stay in tune... the neck was warped I think.

So, I sold it and bought a wooden-body guitar. I always thought there was no comparison with a wooden body to a fiberglass one. A good "Wooden" body just seem to have a warmer sound all-round.

It's just a personal thing I think. It's like well... you like Levi's jeans cause they fit you better but an other might like Bluenotes brand.

Edited by A la prochaine

Jonny---------I don't know anything about Ovations but I just looked on e-Bay and saw 2 of the model you are considering. Both are "buy it now". One has a hard case and is going for $290. The other is going for about $325. It sounds like the one you are looking at would have to go for a pretty low price especially if it would take a lot to lower the action and do the other repairs.

dmiller-------That reversed headstock question. On a normal Stratocaster, the headstock curl faces down and the tuning machines are on the top. The low E is the shortest string and the high E is the longest. On the reverse model, the curl points up and the machines are on the bottom. This makes the low E the longest and the high E the shortest. Also, a Strat has 3 pickups with the 2 top pickups being straight and the bottom(bridge pick up ) on an angle. The bridge pick up on a reverse model is angled the opposite direction. All this is supposed to produce a unique sound . I think Jimi Hendrix played one that had this kind of set-up but his was a "lefty". IMO, it's just another gimmick.

oops. Spelling errors.

Edited by waysider

Hey dmiller - here's someone you must know about - Sierra Hull.

Just saw her on "Jubilee" tonight, and her band (?) Highway 111.

So found this on Youtube - Sierra Hull with Sam Bush playing Lonesome Fiddle Blues.

No guitars here, but this is DEFinitely worth a listen, y'all. You'll be glad you did.

Listen through the introduction and then give it a listen - Sierra Hull and Sam Bush doing Lonesome Fiddle Blues, two mandolins

:eusa_clap:

I can't do much besides e-mail and posting on this old machine but those links feature some of my all time favorite people to listen to. I'm going to have to corner my son and have him bring some of these up on his computer.

The thing about Muddy is, aside from his musical prowess, he had an uncanny ability to surround himself with great talent. Not only that, but he was able to nurture them so that many went on to become icons in their own right.

Being that harmonica is my primary musical interest, I once made a list of harp players that rotated through his band and then went on to success on their own. The list was something like 14 or 15 lines long. It included people like Little Walter, James Cotton, Jr. Wells, Jerry Portnoy,Paul Oscher, Carey Bell and on and on. Even Butterfield, Big Walter and Sonny Boy II took a turn in the harp chair.

You could do the same with guitar players,bass players, drummers and piano players.

Then,of course, you have your "splinter groups" that sprung from his work.

John Mayall had a very similar function on the other side of "the pond".

It makes me wonder what avenues music might have taken if not for the influence of these guys.

"Blues With A Feelin', That's What I have Today."

Sockster,

Wonderful link on Muddy Waters and the harp player. What year do you think that was? I loved the 'doo' the harpist was sporting. Definitely had that 'beatknik' look!!!

Found this thought it was cool T-Bone Walker. Most interesting way to hold the guitar I must say!

Canned Heat... oh my...what were these guys on??? Intense drugs I assume. But GREAT to watch. When I first starting watching this video I thought the bass player to the left of the lead singer was you Socks. :o

And... can someone tell me ... the big guy at the back with the long hair and beard...what is it exactly he does??? besides jump up and down??? ooops... i just noticed he's in front of a keyboard... that's it... he's the keyboardist... duh!

Edited by A la prochaine

A la-------I can't get the link but if you are referring to Paul Oscher, the year would be approx. 1970. Paul still works extensively though his approach has changed. He currently plays acoustic guitar and sings and uses a "rack"(neck holder) to hold his harp. It's distinctively reminiscient of the Delta sound. Quite a few guys who worked with Muddy are still active. Jerry Portnoy plays harp for Eric Clapton. James Cotton still blows some mean harp though he no longer sings due to medical problems. Carey Bell is still out there also and the last time I caught his act, he was feeding through a POD and getting some very effective special effects.

Butterfield and Bloomfield,alas, have long since departed this life as a result of the fast lifestyle they followed.

Hey dmiller - here's someone you must know about - Sierra Hull.

Just saw her on "Jubilee" tonight, and her band (?) Highway 111.

So found this on Youtube - Sierra Hull with Sam Bush playing Lonesome Fiddle Blues.

No guitars here, but this is DEFinitely worth a listen, y'all. You'll be glad you did.

Listen through the introduction and then give it a listen - Sierra Hull and Sam Bush doing Lonesome Fiddle Blues, two mandolins

:eusa_clap:

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

(They're getting younger and younger!) Thanks Socks -- No, I've not heard of her before.

Jubilee used to air here (PBS channel), but it got replaced with something else several years ago.

She's 10 years old??? Can only imagine what she's gonna be like at 12, 15, 18, etc.!!!

Interesting fact -- Lonesome Fiddle Blues (first played, and made famous by Vassar Clements),

was written by his wife Millie. I'm thinking it hit main-stream America when it got released on the WILL THE CIRCLE BE UNBROKEN album the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band did with a bunch of Nashville Grand Old Opry stars back in the 1970's.

Another interesting fact about this tune -- Charlie Daniels got hold of Vassar and got permission from him and Millie to use the tune Lonesome Fiddle Blues as the basis for his (probably) MOST successful song -- THE DEVIL WENT DOWN TO GEORGIA. Listen to the Devil Went Down To Georgia -- and you can hear Lonesome Fiddle blues all over it, with adaptations for the lyrics, etc.

. Edited by dmiller

dmiller-------That reversed headstock question. On a normal Stratocaster, the headstock curl faces down and the tuning machines are on the top. The low E is the shortest string and the high E is the longest. On the reverse model, the curl points up and the machines are on the bottom. This makes the low E the longest and the high E the shortest. Also, a Strat has 3 pickups with the 2 top pickups being straight and the bottom(bridge pick up ) on an angle. The bridge pick up on a reverse model is angled the opposite direction. All this is supposed to produce a unique sound . I think Jimi Hendrix played one that had this kind of set-up but his was a "lefty". IMO, it's just another gimmick.

Forgot to say THANKS for this explanaton.

I see *discrepancies* in acoustic instruments,

but not the electric ones. :redface:

Edited by dmiller

Wow! That's awesome dmiller. Thanks, great background on that song. She is a killah. I was just overwhelmed with glee watching her rockin' on in that video.

Jubilee shows here locally after Austin City Limits, so when I catch the one, I check the other. Some of it isn't my thing, but they frequently have some serious players on there.

She can sing too, reminded me of Skeeter Davis, only younger. Very sweet pure voice.