Guitar Talk

socks

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, that Muddy Waters video is great. I can see what you're saying about his role in developing musicians waysider. That's a really interesting observation and would be fun to track the development of those people over the years, and as others came along into their paths.

Canned Heat - they're quite a story A la. The guy in the back is actually the primary singer/harp player, but not this tune or performance. The presence of Harvey Mandel is interesting as he worked with them for awhile. If I think real hard I can probably name their respective drugs of choice, based on their body language alone. :biglaugh:

Odd sidenote - I've been mistaken for two well known names in music a couple three times in the past - Al Dimeola when he was younger, and Al Wilson, when he wore his black horn rims. He's the guy singing on that video. Weird.

If I think real hard I can probably name their respective drugs of choice, based on their body language alone.

I'm laughing Socks... I'm laughing!!

I wanted to let you real music junkies here know that even if I don't reply back to all you write...which alot goes over my head... I'm learning, always learning... I really appreciate everything I glean and my musical doors keep opening wider and wider!

Thanks

Did y'all watch Prince during the Super Bowl Half-Time Show tonight?

Chops of doom!

I can't get over that performance ~ holy cow ~ he was playing in the pouring rain and was absolutely awesome...

Did ya see it?

And...

On a side note -

The Police are going to have a reunion at the Grammy Awards this next week - OH PLEASE LET THERE BE A TOUR!

I did, Chas. He was doing the Princely thing pretty well! :biglaugh:

Those are nice tunes, A la. Thanks.

I'm laughing Socks... I'm laughing!!

Yah. Way back when, I was hot on following Harvey Mandel. There was a guy I knew back then, great musician named Steve Abella (Kit knew Steve, others here too maybe) and he and I were friends and hooked up and played in a couple bands together, he sang, played guitar and wrote songs, some great tunes.

Anyhoo, he got me in this band he'd just joined and we played around a lot, this was maybe 68/69 or so. I usually played in a couple bands at the same time, and this one was a really interesting band of dudes. We gigged a fari amount and did a couple gigs at a club named the Matrix, in San Francisco, weeknight gigs when new bands could play a couple sets, and maybe get hooked onto a weekend billing. We would be like-10th billing, even if there were only 3 bands on. :biglaugh:

So we're down in the back of the Matrix and Harvey Mandel is the with his band there, and it's kind of a jam night thing for him. He was a very quiet guy. Very laid back, between us you probably had enough physical energy conducting to power half a watch.

And there's a guy down there offering free goodies and a couple people are getting cooked - IE smack, tying off to ride the White Horse. :biglaugh: And Harvey's in a very gray daze, but functional. I didn't put any needles in my body, too weird, and I kind of realized I hadn't seen what Harvey had been doing but he seemed to be in a very special place. So there's things going on. and finally we played and that went pretty well. We stayed for his set and it was - phenomenal. He was playing a Gibson, think a 335, and he was just completely into his sustained distorted sound, and it was SO good. He did a version of one of his signature tunes "Lights Out" that was exceptional that still remember. Quite a night!

So we're down in the back of the Matrix and Harvey Mandel is the with his band there,

and it's kind of a jam night thing for him. He was a very quiet guy.

Very laid back, between us you probably had enough physical energy conducting to power half a watch.

Busting a gut here laughing!!!!

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Yup... miller i was doing the same a few posts ago...

Man...this Norah album...very different. I had read a little on AMG site about the album. It certainly is a NORAH album... it highlights her... as a soloist ... and not NORAH and her Handsome Band so much...but it's all very tastefully done...just different!

This is called Rosie's Lullaby from this album...

mmmmmmmmmmmmm :ph34r:

Edited by A la prochaine

I live to amuse! :biglaugh:

I guess as I go into Memory Lane, I can remember somewhat the way I was all those years ago. You guys may have similar memories.

When I met my wonderful wife to-be, I was kind of cross wired between a couple of choice substances, and had been for a year or so, and continued that route for awhile after we were dating. I was, by all reports, a bit of a space case. At times. Like in the morning, and then again in the afternoon, and of course, there was the evening. :biglaugh: And she told me later that those first few months when we'd be together, how quiet I'd be, or get sometimes. Just - flat lined, but vibrating. :biglaugh: She'd wonder if I was "okay", as she didn't have much to do with the substances of the era. And I always was okay, but y'know, dealing with important stuff like breathing and remembering what my legs were for and trying to remember why there were two of them. :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Man - the best thing that ever happened to me was meeting Her. Second to none, The Best Thing, and Still.

Edited by socks

Thought I would pass this on for the baby boomers amongst us.

Pianist Joe Hunter passed away in Detroit at the age of 79 on Friday.

When Berry Gordy decided to put together a studio band for his newly founded record label,Motown Records, Joe got the call to function as the bandleader and pianist. His work can be heard on many,many hits that have become so familiar to all of us. A couple years ago, a behind the scenes documentary was made chronicling the the efforts of the Motown studio band. It is an excellent glimpse into the life of a studio musician and is aply titled "Standing in the Shadows of Motown".

Joe Hunter---------The ORIGINAL "Funk Brother"

Motown musician, Funk Brother Joe Hunter dies

Last Updated: Saturday, February 3, 2007 | 4:41 PM ET

CBC Arts

Blues musician Joe Hunter, Motown's first bandleader and a member of the legendary Funk Brothers, has died at the age of 79.

The Detroit News reports the piano player, who was diabetic, was found dead in his Detroit apartment on Friday. He had just returned five days earlier from a European tour with fellow band member Jack Ashford.

'His terrific riffs and easy-going musicianship will live forever'—Bruce Resnikoff of Universal Music, parent label of Motown

Funk Brothers was the name given to a group of studio musicians who performed without credit on hundreds of Motown records. Other notable members include James Jamerson, William Benjamin, Robert White, Joe Messina and Eddie Brown.

Hunter, known for his raw and rootsy style, was Motown founder Berry Gordy Jr.'s first hire for the groundbreaking label.

Hunter would eventually back up acts such as Smokey Robinson and the Miracles and Jackie Wilson. His piano work can be heard on the Martha and the Vandellas' hit Heat Wave and Come and Get These Memories as well as Marvin Gaye's Pride and Joy.

"Joe Hunter's piano and stellar leadership helped birth the 'Motown Sound.' You can't miss Joe's piano on those great early hits.… His terrific riffs and easy-going musicianship will live forever," said a statement released by Bruce Resnikoff, head of Universal Music Enterprises, the parent label of Motown.

Although the cause of death is not yet known, Hunter's son said it appeared he was trying to take medicine when he died.

"He will be welcomed in heaven," fellow Funk Brother Bob Babbitt told the Detroit News.

Hunter was born in Jackson, Tenn., but moved to Detroit at 12.

Historian Allan Slutsky, who wrote a book and produced a film about the Funk Brothers, said Hunter often quoted Shakespeare.

"Joe was kind of a throwback character, an English country gentleman in an R&B blues body," said Slutsky, whose documentary, Standing in the Shadows of Motown, was released in 2002.

The Funk Brother's soundtrack album for the film won two Grammys in 2003 and a year later, the Funk Brothers were bestowed a Lifetime Achievement Award at the Grammys.

The Detroit group effectively disbanded in 1972 when Gordy moved from Motown to Los Angeles. A few members followed but Hunter remained.

Enjoyed James and Norah, both my favorites. Thanks for sharing!!!!!

CA Dreamin',

Glad you enjoyed those...

I appreciate it.

g

Here's a little something for you... I just couldn't resist... Enjoy!

oh my... i didn't see the commercial til after I posted the link... oh my ... it's just as good as the performance!

wow.. found this one... this one is authentic... oh my .. HEE HEE

Edited by A la prochaine

yes it is my brother from the sock drawer... yes it is...

although at the present time all I see (top and bottom) are carpet cleaning ads... hmmm

let me try something...

chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka chocolate vodka