GreaseSpot Cafe

I wish I were the man I know to be

skyrider

The epitaph of victor paul wierwille......"I wish I were the man I know to be"......leaves an intriguing message and memory of the founder of twi.

Imo, the wierwillite follower sees this epitaph as a gesture of humility and having run his course in life to the best of his ability. And, now buried in the Garden of Living Waters at the highest and most prominent spot, wierwille is elevated in death.

On the flip side, and playing the devil's advocate......some of us see this epitaph as a dying man's gasp and realization that he (wierwille) had succombed to lust and the workings of the flesh AND this epitaph was a half-hearted confession of sorts. And, with the multitude of accounts that continue to see the light of day here at GS, clearly wierwille had a very dark side.

I wish.......

I were......

I know......

The I's have it...........and wierwille is at the center. :)

"I wish"......to wish is to have a longing for, want, desire, crave. For a man who built his ministry on "The Law of Believing".......it seems ironic and odd that he wishes things were different.

"I were"......past tense. I suppose on one's deathbed, if one is losing control and power over being.....the past is all there is to hold on to. And, what lies ahead, might fill one with dread.

"I know"......not surprising from The Teacher. Wierwille spent his life teaching "the word like it hadn't been known since the first century church" and he preached on know, that you know, that you know.

Of course, there is SO MUCH to consider in this epitaph. I'm still trying to figure out what he meant by........... "to be."

:dance:

PS...This subject has been discussed before, but with new faces here.....I thought others might bring in some new perspectives.

Thanks.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think he used to say it so we would feel "oh what a wonderful humble mog, he makes me cry"

he wanted to get us to feel emotionally feeling "sorry" for him (you know what i mean)

i don't think it was his grave marker necessarily when he said it

he just wanted us to think he was humble when he really wasn't

am i saying this right ?

oh well

i wish he was another man ;)

Or could it be a confession? He knew the evil that he done and wished he had done the right thing. That is the way I always took it. Of course when I first heard the saying, I was still in. I thought he was just saying he was not perfect enough. I had no idea at the time how unperfect he was.

Makes me think he knew what was right but said "to hell with what is right" during his life untill the last days.

Edited by justloafing

I think you hit it on the head, ex! I think it was false humility. He fooled a lot of good people by pretending to be and pretending to wish to be the man he knew he could have or should have been.

Ya know, if one of US would have said to HIM that we WISHED anything, he'd have chewed us a new one - wish? Might as well try to say "create" or "Merry Christmas," or, God forbid, "Happy Easter!"

I think you hit it on the head, ex! I think it was false humility. He fooled a lot of good people by pretending to be and pretending to wish to be the man he knew he could have or should have been.

Ya know, if one of US would have said to HIM that we WISHED anything, he'd have chewed us a new one - wish? Might as well try to say "create" or "Merry Christmas," or, God forbid, "Happy Easter!"

Bingo.

He started saying this all the time about a year before he died - at first I thought it was weird, but then I thought about it and realized, he wasn't saying this out of humility. HP even wrote a song about it - that probably made it worse for him.

I never thought it had anything to do with any type of humility. I always had a feeling he had a terrible realization that he had royally and massively screwed up, and the end was near. I think he had a terrible pang of his conscious kicking in - maybe God even showed him. But I think he was scared. I think it was his way of hoping to God that he would have mercy on his soul and forgive him - VP felt sorry for himself a lot - no one else, just himself.

Imagine, facing the realization that your life has been a sham, the destruction you've done to young women and others around you, the money you made off of God's Word to spend on yourself. Something went off in his brain. No wonder, from what I've heard, he had the tv and basketball on the whole time before he died - he wouldn't have to think about anything or anyone. And instead of going peacefully, he was angry and "raged against the dying of the light." Not wanted to go where he was going. I really think he was somehow, brought to see fully the reality of what he had done, and therefore, wished he could take back his life and do it over, thus, his wishing to be the man HE KNEW to be.

He knew what he should have been, yet choose to eat, drink and be merry, while keeping his religious facade.

He started saying this all the time about a year before he died - at first I thought it was weird, but then I thought about it and realized, he wasn't saying this out of humility. HP even wrote a song about it - that probably made it worse for him.

I never thought it had anything to do with any type of humility. I always had a feeling he had a terrible realization that he had royally and massively screwed up, and the end was near. I think he had a terrible pang of his conscious kicking in - maybe God even showed him. But I think he was scared. I think it was his way of hoping to God that he would have mercy on his soul and forgive him - VP felt sorry for himself a lot - no one else, just himself.

Imagine, facing the realization that your life has been a sham, the destruction you've done to young women and others around you, the money you made off of God's Word to spend on yourself. Something went off in his brain. No wonder, from what I've heard, he had the tv and basketball on the whole time before he died - he wouldn't have to think about anything or anyone. And instead of going peacefully, he was angry and "raged against the dying of the light." Not wanted to go where he was going. I really think he was somehow, brought to see fully the reality of what he had done, and therefore, wished he could take back his life and do it over, thus, his wishing to be the man HE KNEW to be.

He knew what he should have been, yet choose to eat, drink and be merry, while keeping his religious facade.

Bingo

What does that mean? I'm intrigued.

IMO better for Sunesis to say it but I will give you my short version. In short he saw there was nothing he could do to right the wrongs he had done. JMHO

Hm.

Interesting.

Of course, you can compare this to Pope John Paul II,

a man who was roundly condemned BY vpw.

Karol Wojtyla was a man who sought to do his best for God and to bless

God's people.

Was he perfect? No. Was his doctrine perfect? No.

However, if he had his life to do over again, there are fairly

few improvements he could have made to perform as a

"better" man. Even in his dying moments, he sought to

bless God's people. (He raised his hand in benediction to the

window-as if praying for the world or the people outside,

then lowered his hand, and then he "fell asleep.")

NON-Catholics (like myself) were sorry to see his passage,

and expressed their sorrow all around the world.

In short, Karol Wojtyla was the man he knew himself to be.

===

Oh, BTW, Oakspear,

thought you'd find this interesting.

In police procedures, if a criminal, in the course of being captured,

is fatally shot and is dying,

I've read that it is in the procedures to inform the criminal that

he's dying,

so that, if he wants to clear his conscience before meeting his Maker,

he can do so.

It certainly might make it easier to question him.

People, when they see death approaching,

often get very philosophical,

and look back on the good and ill they performed in life.

You might find this short-story interesting along those

lines. I read it in high school.

It's called

"the Contents of the Dead Man's Pockets".

http://www.is.wayne.edu/mnissani/2030/Deadman.htm

VPW attempted to reach a point of humility very late in his life and the epitaph didn't really fit. VPW was many things but hunble wasn't one of them.

An epitaph is supposed to sum up one's philosophy or approach to life or at least be a summary of what the person accomplished. In this case I view VPW's epitaph as a plea or a statement on what he wished he could have been because he certainly wasn't a humble man while living. And if the VPW fanatics start foaming with rage in reaction to such a comment I must remind them that VPW lied to us and willingly deceived many about the nature of his illness. Hell. The leaders wouldn't even admit that he was ill. They just claimed that the eyepatch was to provide some "relief". But as the head of TWI he could have been open and up front about his problem, and had he been, I'm quite certain that most would have been very supportive. But he avoided that and chose the path of deception to preserve the "teachings" in PFAL to avoid penetrating discussions on why he had cancer. After all it was VPW who taught us that cancer was a "devil spirit".

VPW also taught us that "believing equals receiving" but for some reason no one criticized Vic for not having enought believing to get delivered. Now again, before the VPW suckups choke on their bile about this, I distinctly recall the death of my friend who was twice a WOW. All that most of the leadership would say (the ones who cared enought to comment) about him was "well his believing just wasn't there". Yet when VPW died they wanted to act like it was equivalent to the death of Christ. To this day it really makes me mad that there was and is a double standard. VPW was let off the hook and as far as most of his followers are concerned , he is sitting on the right hand of God in place of JC. But if a person on the field fell ill then they wanted to make it seem like that person was some kind of demon possessed reprobate who was too weak to get delivered.

I take no joy in the death of anyone. But its a source of extreme displeasure for me that anyone would think that VPW died as some kind of supreme example of humilty. That would be a supreme joke. He loved the limelight and he couldn't get enough of it.

I too wish "he coul d have been the man he wished to be". If that had happened I wouldn't be posting here now.......

VPW also taught us that "believing equals receiving" but for some reason no one criticized Vic for not having enought believing to get delivered. Now again, before the VPW suckups choke on their bile about this, I distinctly recall the death of my friend who was twice a WOW. All that most of the leadership would say (the ones who cared enought to comment) about him was "well his believing just wasn't there".

Yet when VPW died they wanted to act like it was equivalent to the death of Christ. To this day it really makes me mad that there was and is a double standard. VPW was let off the hook and as far as most of his followers are concerned , he is sitting on the right hand of God in place of JC.

But if a person on the field fell ill then they wanted to make it seem like that person was some kind of demon possessed reprobate who was too weak to get delivered.

I take no joy in the death of anyone. But its a source of extreme displeasure for me that anyone would think that VPW died as some kind of supreme example of humilty. That would be a supreme joke. He loved the limelight and he couldn't get enough of it.

I too wish "he could have been the man he wished to be". If that had happened I wouldn't be posting here now.......

Diazbro ~~~ Very well said. Thank you.