GreaseSpot Cafe

South Park Cartoon Character is DEAD

rhino

South Park did a show last season about Scientology, and revealed their ridiculous beliefs (I guess .. at least they flashed a title saying "this is what scientology really teaches"). Well, the guy that does the voice of Chef is a scientologist, and he quit (though some quotes from him didn't sound that angry, so some believe his "handlers" helped him quit).

Anyway, Comedy Central got pressured into not showing the episode again, (supposedly pressure from Tom Cruise, another scientologist). So the new episode shows Chef getting into a cult, the "Super Special Adventure Club" or something like that. It changes him, his friends try to bring him back, the cult kidnaps him, then he ends up dead. A final fairwell to Chef ... or to Isaac Hayes (his voice), the scientologist.

So ... maybe there is nothing else to say ... but I like South Park, and it was sorta cool that they took this on directly. Of course scientology is more famous than twi, still I thought there might be some comparisons or comments.

How did that cult do so well while twi failed? Are the two more the same or different? Will South Park take on the Islam cartoons in coming episodes? Are chef's chocolate salty balls too crude to comment on?

Serious or humorous comments welcomed :dance:

Edited by rhino

Funny how he didn't mind the racial slurs and jokes....'chocolate salty balls, anyone?"

Funny how he didn't mind the Jewish slurs and jokes.....

Funny how he didn't mind the bathroom humor.....

Funny how all of a sudden he got upset about Scientology....

Funny how he's going to be giving up a bunch of money, regret his decision and come back.....

Hhhhmmmm...................

The Chef killing episode of South Park was an absolute riot. If I'm not mistaken, all of Chef's dialogue consisted of clips from previous episodes.

Hayes decided to leave the show because of its intolerance toward religion. Anyone who has watched the show from the beginning knows that it's poked fun at religion since day one (Jesus v. Santa, anyone?), so Hayes' statement was ridiculous on its face. He obviously left because they attacked his sacred cow.

P.S. I believe the "Tom Cruise applied pressure on Viacom" explanation has been denied by all involved, for whatever that's worth. (Actually, Cruise's demand was supposed to be that the Scientology episode never be aired again).

what I'd heard was that Comedy Central pulled it because Cruise had threatened not to promote MI:3 if they didn't. Parker and Stone were 'forbidden' to respond to it in public as well... So they took out an ad in Variety and said this:

"So, Scientology, you may have won THIS battle, but the million-year war for earth has just begun! Temporarily anozinizing our episode will NOT stop us from keeping Thetans forever trapped in your pitiful man-bodies. Curses and drat! You have obstructed us for now, but your feeble bid to save humanity will fail! Hail Xenu!!!"

The duo signed the statement "Trey Parker and Matt Stone, servants of the dark lord Xenu."