GreaseSpot Cafe

New Member (sort of)

damurf

I have been on here for a few months, lurking mostly and reading the posts on different topics. What prompted me to do some research on the internet about TWI was last Thanksgiving I was invited over to a neighbors house for dinner with a friend of mine. They live just around the corner from me in a somewhat rural setting. After we got there chit chatting with different people that were there I couldn't help to notice how diverse the crowd was there but I never gave it much thought, just noticed that they were all quite different and wondered what brought them all together. But then I was introduced to a guy (whom I had met 15yrs ago or so) and then the bells started going off. As we were eating I noticed a book shelf sitting along the wall next to the table and there it was...all TWI literature and books such as JCNG and JCOP and a leather bound Holy Spirit book that you had to be at Living Victoriously to have received.

I had been out of TWI for quite some time, probably since around 1992. I got married (to a non-TWI) and had a daughter, was working on trying to get some sort of career going doing something to support my family. TWI was getting way too religious for me and the changes I was making in my life just weren't fitting into what was going on so time went by and I drifted away. I had occasionally wondered what happened to some of the friends that I had in TWI, some I really grew close to and loved. I was a WOW in 86-87 and things were getting pretty messed up then and I had an issue with alcohol that I was battling so I was on my way away from TWI as it was or I would have eventually been marked and avoided. I was also an Advanced Class grad and got to hear the stupid tapes that LCM had made about the "Fog Years" or whatever. They pretty much left a bad taste in my mouth and didn't really make me feel like things were on the up and up. There was the rumors that I would hear on the field too but more of my concern was where I was heading and I figured it just best to walk away...so I did.

The recent reminder just made me wonder what had happened since I left. I was quite shocked to hear how it all went down and couldn't stop reading the posts for a while, like I was obsessed or something, lol. But in a way it doesn't surprise me knowing how things were getting towards the end. It sort of matches everything else I have known in life to be a fraud and not like I had thought they were in the beginning. I have become pretty skeptical about everything, the corruption seems to be everywhere and it is hard to find anything honest and real in this life. I still believe in humanity to some extent, as far as community and helping others in need. I have learned that things are quite different than TWI was telling me. I was told to avoid someone that was my WOW brother because he had a drinking problem yet I was encouraged to help non-believers come to the fold...didn't make much sense. Why would I put more energy into someone I don't know whether will believe or not as opposed to someone who obviously needs my help? That is just an example of some of the .... they were saying...there is much much more. My behavior at the time wasn't so great either so the best thing for me was just to walk away and try something different which I did.

The journey I have come has been interesting. I try not to regret any of it because it is all part of where I am today. I have learned that the dark parts of my past help me to help others and I have learned to embrace some of the unsavory things about myself so that I may be better equipped to help someone else and to move out of where I am at. The world teaches us quite differently.

Anyway...a little about me

So where do we go from here..

I hope you continue to post here..

as far as alcohol is concerned. I have an issue as well. Maybe I just need a better drug..

I'll figure out or hopefully someone else won't have to figure out how to fix this little issue in my life..

well, I can live without it, but I like it..

Welcome, damurf.

Yep, reading some of these threads is somewhat - obsessional - especially in the beginning when you first come across the hidden side of TWI.

Love your remark:

I was told to avoid someone that was my WOW brother because he had a drinking problem yet I was encouraged to help non-believers come to the fold...didn't make much sense. Why would I put more energy into someone I don't know whether will believe or not as opposed to someone who obviously needs my help?

Just about sums up the whole TWI attitude.

Like your new avatar. :)

So where do we go from here..

I hope you continue to post here..

as far as alcohol is concerned. I have an issue as well. Maybe I just need a better drug..

I'll figure out or hopefully someone else won't have to figure out how to fix this little issue in my life..

well, I can live without it, but I like it..

II struggled with it for most of my life really. I also had issues with other substances and would juggle them or try to come up with the right "chemical cocktail" in order to manage it. I tried about everything I could think of but it always found a way to come around to bite me in the foot. Eventually the problem got so large that it consumed me and my life spun out of control and the legal system intervened. I gave up the fight and surrendered to the fact that I no long live that way and made some serious changes. So far I have made it a little over 6 years and life is good, much better than I had expected and thousands times better than my life was with it. I just couldn't go on like I was and had given up hope that it would be any different, Thank God I got to the place where I had a choice because my options got very limited and my world got really small. It wasn't easy but it was well worth it.

• Upvote 1

Welcome, damurf.

Yep, reading some of these threads is somewhat - obsessional - especially in the beginning when you first come across the hidden side of TWI.

Love your remark:

Thanks Twinky! I found the threads very helpful in understanding what was really going on. Seeing that so many here were deeply involved and then to find out the facts about what happened made sense to me yet was pretty disturbing that I bought into the thing as much as I did. I can only imagine how those that were a lot more involved than I were had to have felt and face up to how they had been duped.

Most of my TWI experience was pretty good, people seemed to genuinely care and I think that for the most part they really did. But towards the end it became very cold a lot of the time. It just really wasn't doing it for me and the more involved I got the less good I seen in it. It wasn't something I was consciously thinking and I would shrug off negative things I would hear from other believers but it became more and more difficult to ignore the elephant in the living room so to speak. People that I had a lot of respect for were criticizing things they seen and heard and I would see evidence of it from leadership.

I guess I can be thankful that my alcoholism saved me from TWI because I just withdrew from it before I would have been "Marked and Avoided" or whatever.

• 2 weeks later...

Geesh, I need to check in here more often, I spend way too much time in the About The Way section.

Welcome to GSC my friend! I also enjoyed reading your posts and you made the best move you could have in getting away from that little corn field cult.

:beer:

Geesh, I need to check in here more often, I spend way too much time in the About The Way section.

Welcome to GSC my friend! I also enjoyed reading your posts and you made the best move you could have in getting away from that little corn field cult.

:beer:

Thanks for the warm welcome, it is truly appreciated. I will hopefully have more time to spend in here after this week...have a lot going on with life events!

Welcome, bro. I enjoyed reading your posts, and I hope you write more.

Yeah this place is oddly addictive, particularly at first. I so often wonder what the people in here are really like in person, not just their cyber-selves. I get the feeling many of them already know each other, but to my knowledge I've crossed paths with only two other occasional posters. Still, we all have something in common: Drinking! haha, just kidding. (i quit last year, thank you very much)

I'm glad you're here.

Have an aria!

http://youtu.be/rJtr0xq1uI0

Welcome, bro. I enjoyed reading your posts, and I hope you write more.

Yeah this place is oddly addictive, particularly at first. I so often wonder what the people in here are really like in person, not just their cyber-selves. I get the feeling many of them already know each other, but to my knowledge I've crossed paths with only two other occasional posters. Still, we all have something in common: Drinking! haha, just kidding. (i quit last year, thank you very much)

I'm glad you're here.

Have an aria!

http://youtu.be/rJtr0xq1uI0

Thanks OprahBuff!

I have wondered the same thing...if I have ever met someone that is here. I looked for clues in their posts and possibly some of the places they said they were and when. Seemed like we all spent a lot of time moving in TWI and that I was always helping someone move their things. I lived like a gypsy by choice anyway so it seemed like I fit right in, lol.

Thanks for the warm welcome once again and I will be posting more after this crazy week...look forward to getting to know you all!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I was told to avoid someone that was my WOW brother because he had a drinking problem yet I was encouraged to help non-believers come to the fold...didn't make much sense. Why would I put more energy into someone I don't know whether will believe or not as opposed to someone who obviously needs my help?

they must know something you dont. i have a scar on my forhead from where my dad went into a rage and slammed my head against a table when i was about 5 yo. when i started the 5th grade my dad started drinking heavy and would become very violent. my dad would beat the hell out me and repeatedly kicked me in the side one night when i was in either the 5th or 6th grade. things just got worse and worse. i ran away to my grandmothers when i was 12 but that didnt last. my dad became veru violent when i was 17 and came at me with an empty vodka bottle and chased me down the street. i went back in a couple hours later and got my 20 gauge a headed to his room to kill him. the thaught of me going to prison kept hitting my mind so i went back to my room packed some clothes and went 10o miles away to live with my grandmohter. after about 6 months of my grandmother talking with my dad i returned home only to have my dad rip my bedroom door down and as i ran around the room and ran down the street he destroyed my drum set. i came back later got my ithica 20 gauge pump and headed to his room a second time to kill him. sme thought came about jail so i packed my stuff and went back to my grandmothers. my dad showed up down there and saw me and some friends in a parking lot talking. being it was the 70's we would leave our keys in our cars. my dad pulled up got out got in my car started it and put it in 1st and reverse and popped the clutch. then he floored the engine and i pulled the 2 hood pins and yanked the coil wire. a freind of mine was asking him what the hell you doing and my dad tried to hit him. about that time the cops came and almost sided with my dad till they smelled alcohol and told him to leave. one of the guys that was there that i didnt know had gone to his car gotten his handgun and wes gonna kill my dad but the cops pulled up before he could. i went through hell becaue of my dad drinking. i tried to get the cops to do soemthing but there wernt any laws back then they could use. a frends dad was a cop and couldnt find anything except to catch my dad driving drunk. i dropped out of school in the 11th grade and went to live with my grandmother until i was 18. because of school bussing rules i was not allowed to attend the high school in the town my grandmother lived in. my dad ran a lot of my friends off. a few friends told me if they ever saw my dad hit me they werer gonna do him in. from 1986-1994 i didnt talk to my dad. i would call my mom and if my dad answered the phone i would hang up cause he would cuss me out. my mom was a really weak person and i blame her for not divorcing my dad when he busted my head when i was little. when i was in my 20's i asked my mom why she didnt kick him out and she didnt have an answer. according to my mom my dad drank until about 1993 when she finally got fed up and told him she wanted a divorce. she said he immedaiatly stopped cold turkey. i started talking to my dad in late 1994. alcohol can be a very serious and deadly habbit. i have ben freinds with believers that were druns and didnt want to stop cause they like the buzz. some would drink and drive or just get plastered. when your drunk your not in control and all it takes is a drunk believer to whip out a knife or a gun or use their fist to kill you. TWI has helped people with alcohol problems get delivered BUT the person has to want deliverence. some people dont want deliverence. my younger brother came to fellowship and took pfal in 1982. he came to twig for a while but quit and got into drinking and smoking dope. he didnt want help and i didnt want him around me. he had a wreck and broke his neck. he recovered and kept drinking and he and his friends would steal. in 2002 my dad called me to tell me my brother was eaten up with cancer. i got ahold of a fellowship back there with believers i knew. i decided to get on a plane and go see my brother. he didnt want help, he said he was fine like he was and knew he was gonna die and it was fine with him. he died a few weeks later. so NEVER EVER ACCUSE me or TWI for not caring about others. others MUST WANT HELP and some people dont want yours or my help. if your told to stay away from a drunk theres a good reason. i had a drunk guy wave revolver in my face with the hammer back. its because of me believing GOD to protect me that kept that guys finger from squezing the trigger, i was looking at the drunk guys finger while it was on the trigger. he suddenly put the gun down and ui ran like all hell broek loose.

the foto is my brother car that he wrecked when he was drunk and broke his neck. he had just dropped his girlfriend off. as you can see the passenger side is distroyed from the tree it hit. he ran off the road into a tree. if his girlfriend had ben in the car she would probably be dead. i'v seen believers drive while drunk.

to answer your question about why would you put more energy into someone that you dont know will believe or not , because someone put energy into you thats why. soemone put energy into me. i was going through hell and depression and most of the believers didnt want to help me and some didnt want me around. But there were a couple of believers that decided to help me. you were an unbeliever once just like me. nobody knew weather you or i were going to believe but they put energy into us. not everyone that hears the WORD a GOD will believe or stick around. look at what the it says in the gosples about people standing. Jesus put tiem and energy into people and soem became "offended" at what he taught and walked away from him.

post-3393-080731400 1343720333_thumb.jpg

Edited by shiftthis

Welcome, damurf.

Love your remark:

why dont you read my long post and then reply again. yeah there are some deadbeats that come to fellowships and that includes TWI and the independant fellowships. but dont blame TWI or accuse them of that, there are a few that helped me. your gonna have riff raff in anything. look at what THE WORD says about false teachers that "shall" come in among you. yeah that the WORD of GOD i just quoted. go look it up and see for yoursef. btw i also recived help from an independent fellowship after another independent fellowship didnt want to give me the time of day and basically told me to take my problems elsewhere , they wernt into helping people.

Edited by shiftthis

Shiftthis; I am so sorry you had such a tortuous upbringing. The rawness for your story resonates with pain. All of us have endured things that never leave us; we just figure out how to minimize them by living better. It makes sense why you avoid those who just want a place to fall in their drunkenness rather than help to get out of it. Those specific people help to resurrect yesterday for you. I'm glad you are a survivor.

Shiftthis; I am so sorry you had such a tortuous upbringing. The rawness for your story resonates with pain. All of us have endured things that never leave us; we just figure out how to minimize them by living better. It makes sense why you avoid those who just want a place to fall in their drunkenness rather than help to get out of it. Those specific people help to resurrect yesterday for you. I'm glad you are a survivor.

I have to agree, I sense a lot of pain in your story. I too grew up with an alcoholic father and am a recovering alcoholic myself so I am very aware of the dangers involved with all of that. I hope that you can find what you need to be healed of the pain and resentments of your past because it is the only way we can truly be freed of it.

In response to what you said about my WOW brother, the point I was trying to make was how they were telling me to mark and avoid those who weren't coming to Twig or whatever...like they would somehow poison my thinking because they were no longer standing with us. I think that the fruit that came out of that whole time period is evidence to what their intentions were...the ministry turned against itself and it really wasn't much of a ministry at all but a money machine. The things that were going on at the time that I finally got out only make me glad that I never tried to hold on because it was evident to do so would only be delusion...however delusional it was to begin with