GreaseSpot Cafe

Camp Gunnison - the Way Mausoleum West

chockfull

So one of our discussions on the Internet tactics thread led us to talking about Camp Gunnison.  We see current pictures on the Way's flickr of open fields and polished logs.  The discussion brought up points like similar to the pyramids, Gunnison was constructed on the backs of slave labor.  Gunnison with its vacant walls and empty stages is also starting to look like a Mausoleum.  

Well I mean like so much you see a pattern where basically anything the "Fox" touches dies and becomes a sepulchre with a whitewashed exterior and porcelain front.  Way Productions - from High Country Caravan to the present day Swinging Ladies of the Maternity Dresses, Way Publications, the Sunday Teaching Service - I mean it is like a farmer with a brown thumb.  Where you see the Matriarch of Control, the Gift Ministry of "Administrations" or organizations, or spirit of obsession, the grass turns yellow and the flowers die spiritually.

But enough about the cause, lets get back to the effect.  

Beautiful photos.  A great countryside.  Built to attract thousands of visitors at a time.  In its heyday with Family Camps running all summer with Devotion with Motion, the Advanced Class running there in the summer, the Corpse training there, Rodeo School, I mean that place had PEOPLE in it.  Activity.  Life.  Yes behind the scenes unbeknownst at the time to all of us there were the mistresses of Cabin 12 and all that depravity, but I can remember when the whole circle was JAM PACKED with people.  Life.

Now.  No Advanced Class.   Because there is no need.  An Intermediate Class.  A youth class.  Anniversary phone hookups.  Woohoo.  I mean the place is starting to remind me of another story that was told long ago.  One that involved another Colorado resort.  The Stanley hotel.  

stanley1.gif

http://www.stanleyhotel.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stanley_Hotel

In this episode of the Twilight Zone, we travel to a place in Colorado......

Edited by chockfull

34559505692_2f188fd864_b.jpg

I mean Gunnison is so beautiful that we even need to make picture models of it to go along with the guys on flower boxes with purple ties and the ladies in maternity dresses.  I mean don't maternity dresses just communicate abundance?  If everyone is abundant then the ladies are going to be pregnant, thus the need for an ongoing wardrobe of maternity dresses.

Okay okay I admit that this thread really doesn't have a direction it is going, it is just a place to talk about Camp Gunnison and post pictures.  I'm bored for an hour or so on a 4th of July weekend.  

:dance:

Edited by chockfull

I mentioned this in another thread but I distinctly remember when i visited CG in the early 80s that the meals that were served there lacked protein. There are some cult experts who have mentioned that restricting protein in the diet is one of the 1st things some cults will do in its effort to gain control of someone's mind.

5 hours ago, chockfull said:

35011003212_3930401c60_b.jpg

New young group of inductees at flag raising.

I figure that's about all the people  on this campus that they can raise.  And they don't look overly thrilled at the privilege of being there.

5 hours ago, chockfull said:

Okay okay I admit that this thread really doesn't have a direction it is going, it is just a place to talk about Camp Gunnison and post pictures.  I'm bored for an hour or so on a 4th of July weekend.  

:dance:

No no.  Maternity dresses.  Flag raising.  There's a direction here.

It is a gorgeous location.  I got myself exiled there and was more or less on my own for a week or so, before some other Corps were sent in to get ready for the family camps.  A great big dorm, with just me in it.  Used to get out of bed, go to breakfast, pausing on the steps down to gaze at the beautiful mountains in the distance.  Seemed like Paradise.

I did do one season of Family Camps, which was six (or was it eight?) one week camps, two weeks back to back and then a cleaning/turn-round week in between.  It was hard work but I enjoyed it, being with the little kids and generally having fun.  I do think that for the adults and older children, it was hard work.  "Classes" all morning, communal lunch, a bit of free time in the afternoon, communal evening meal, and then more classes.  Not much of a holiday, or time to fellowship with friends.

For some perverse reason, I was assigned to flag-raising duty.  Me??  A Brit?  To perform this sacred American duty?  (We don't care much for flags in the UK.  Don't fly 'em much, don't particularly pay any attention.  Show our patriotism in different ways.)  Can only think that giving me flag-raising duty was to force me out of bed in the morning.  I've never been a "morning person," so therefore anything involving getting up early (like snow clearance) was a task deliberately shoved my way.    Others might have been genuinely pleased or felt honored to have done the flag-raising.  Why give the job to someone who couldn't care less?  It still puzzles me.  It seemed (to me) to make a mockery of the task.  Surely ... TWI wasn't mocking the USA??  Ho hum.

13 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

No no.  Maternity dresses.  Flag raising.  There's a direction here.

Going south, probably.

5 hours ago, Infoabsorption said:

I mentioned this in another thread but I distinctly remember when i visited CG in the early 80s that the meals that were served there lacked protein. There are some cult experts who have mentioned that restricting protein in the diet is one of the 1st things some cults will do in its effort to gain control of someone's mind.

http://www.decision-making-confidence.com/mind-control-methods.html

56 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

Bolshevik, LOL... that is one of the web sites that I've read. I don't know for sure if TWI intentionally restricted protein in the meals served at CG or perhaps someone in leadership was simply on a vegetarian kick at that time. However, it is very well known that cults have intentionally restricted protein intake of their followers as a mind control technique. 

5 minutes ago, Infoabsorption said:

Bolshevik, LOL... that is one of the web sites that I've read. I don't know for sure if TWI intentionally restricted protein in the meals served at CG or perhaps someone in leadership was simply on a vegetarian kick at that time. However, it is very well known that cults have intentionally restricted protein intake of their followers as a mind control technique. 

I don't if they are intentional or not.  I do know TWI has a reputation for being cheap.  I also know protein is the more costly part of a meal.

• Upvote 2

I have to go with the *cheap* explanation. In FellowLaborers, we usually only had some type of meat once a week. Why? Meat is expensive. We did, however, have sprouts on an almost daily basis. They're not as good at providing protein as meat is but they provide some of the pieces for the amino jig saw puzzle. We also had familia on an almost daily basis. Familia is oat based and typically has some form of nuts added. Both are sources of amino acids that are missing in the sprouts. So, there you have the missing pieces of the protein puzzle. Plus, we grew many of our own vegetables to save money.

conclusion: cheap, cheap, cheap.

(Is there a bird in here?)

2 hours ago, Twinky said:

It is a gorgeous location.  I got myself exiled there and was more or less on my own for a week or so, before some other Corps were sent in to get ready for the family camps.  A great big dorm, with just me in it.  Used to get out of bed, go to breakfast, pausing on the steps down to gaze at the beautiful mountains in the distance.  Seemed like Paradise.

I did do one season of Family Camps, which was six (or was it eight?) one week camps, two weeks back to back and then a cleaning/turn-round week in between.  It was hard work but I enjoyed it, being with the little kids and generally having fun.  I do think that for the adults and older children, it was hard work.  "Classes" all morning, communal lunch, a bit of free time in the afternoon, communal evening meal, and then more classes.  Not much of a holiday, or time to fellowship with friends.

For some perverse reason, I was assigned to flag-raising duty.  Me??  A Brit?  To perform this sacred American duty?  (We don't care much for flags in the UK.  Don't fly 'em much, don't particularly pay any attention.  Show our patriotism in different ways.)  Can only think that giving me flag-raising duty was to force me out of bed in the morning.  I've never been a "morning person," so therefore anything involving getting up early (like snow clearance) was a task deliberately shoved my way.    Others might have been genuinely pleased or felt honored to have done the flag-raising.  Why give the job to someone who couldn't care less?  It still puzzles me.  It seemed (to me) to make a mockery of the task.  Surely ... TWI wasn't mocking the USA??  Ho hum.

Twinky, I think there was very little common sense in Way World; personally in the military, raising the flag is a big deal.  But in Way World, who knows why things were done in a certain way.

34 minutes ago, waysider said:

I have to go with the *cheap* explanation. In FellowLaborers, we usually only had some type of meat once a week. Why? Meat is expensive. We did, however, have sprouts on an almost daily basis. They're not as good at providing protein as meat is but they provide some of the pieces for the amino jig saw puzzle. We also had familia on an almost daily basis. Familia is oat based and typically has some form of nuts added. Both are sources of amino acids that are missing in the sprouts. So, there you have the missing pieces of the protein puzzle. Plus, we grew many of our own vegetables to save money.

conclusion: cheap, cheap, cheap.

(Is there a bird in here?)

Way, you are right; TWI was cheap!!  I have read on other threads where the meals were rather skimpy in Way World.  All the the work people did for TWI, and they weren't fed properly.

21 minutes ago, Grace Valerie Claire said:

Bol, isn't CG where people would hunt Elk, and other game?  I would think there would be an abundance of protein there.

I, thankfully, never made it out to CG.  I believe I've known folks who've hunted there but my memory might be mixing things up.

The food we ate wasn't great. But it wasn't terrible, either. The big problem was quantity. The meals were skimpy and not very filling. We all worked full time, mostly at labor intensive jobs. A Swiss Chard and veggie salad just doesn't cut it as a main course after a long, hot day in a factory or foundry.

Edited by waysider

22 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

I, thankfully, never made it out to CG.  I believe I've known folks who've hunted there but my memory might be mixing things up.

Bol, I think your memory is fine; I think I have read on other threads that Howard, and other people used to hunt at CG.  Maybe Deer, and Elk.  I think people might also have fished there, but I could be wrong.

28 minutes ago, waysider said:

The food we ate wasn't great. But it wasn't terrible, either. The big problem was quantity. The meals were skimpy and not very filling. We all worked full time, mostly at labor intensive jobs. A Swiss Chard and veggie salad just doesn't cut it as a main course after a long, hot day in a factory or foundry.

Way, you bring up a good point; TWI had plenty of money to feed you guys good, filling meals.  I know some people complained about the food in the Navy, but I never went hungry.  A Veggie Salad sounds great as a side dish.  But why didn't they feed you; they had the money.  Cheap!!!

22 minutes ago, Grace Valerie Claire said:

Bol, I think your memory is fine; I think I have read on other threads that Howard, and other people used to hunt at CG.  Maybe Deer, and Elk.  I think people might also have fished there, but I could be wrong.

Some of the folks I'm thinking of are part of the R&R now.

Yes they once sent fish to HQ when I was there.  I think the corps did that.  It wasn't bad.  I was probably hungry and would've said anything that wasn't wilted lettuce was good.  (Back then we sent someone to McDs to bring food for after lunch)

Just now, Bolshevik said:

Some of the folks I'm thinking of are part of the R&R now.

Yes they once sent fish to HQ when I was there.  I think the corps did that.  It wasn't bad.  I was probably hungry and would've said anything that wasn't wilted lettuce was good.  (Back then we sent someone to McDs to bring food for after lunch)

Bol, you did a Micky D run after lunch??!!  God, I guess they really didn't feed you well, did they.