Oakspear

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You Ain't Woman Enough

Lyrics: Loretta Lynn

Music: Loretta Lynn

Sung by Donna Godchaux with the Grateful Dead in 1973, and on guest appearances with the New Riders Of The Purple Sage.

You've come to tell me something you say I ought to know

That he don't love me any more, and I'll have to let him go

Now you say you're gonna take him, oh but I don't think you can

'Cause you ain't woman enough to take my man

Women like you, they come a dime a dozen

You can buy them anywhere

For you to get to him, I'd have to move over

And I'm gonna stand right here

But it'll be over my dead body, so get out while you can

Sometimes a man's caught looking at things that he don't need

He took a second look at you, but he's in love with me

Now I don't know where that leave's you, ah but I know where I stand

And you ain't woman enough to take my man

Women like you, they come a dime a dozen

You can buy them anywhere

For you to get to him, I'd have to move over

And I'm gonna stand right here

Well it'll be over my dead body, so get out while you can

No you ain't woman enough to take my man.

:dance::evilshades::dance:

Anything County/Western flavored is the only thing that makes me consider that there really might be a Devil.

My own private hell would be having perpetual breakfast in a Waffle House, while "witnessing" to some fat, smelly, disinterested trucker, all the while listening to George Jones and Loretta Lynn on the Jukebox...

ARRRRGH! (maybe I should reconsider that whole "salvation" thingy?)...

Now George, with that kind of an attitude, do you really think that your wife is going to....."Stand by her maannnn....!" Hmm?

So, "Don't rock the juke box" George! That would be "Crazy!" Sonofagun, Yer never "gonna have big fun on the bayou" if you keep that up! And surely you "got friends in low places", what'er they gonna think?

What are you, some kind of a "Desperado"?

Edited by Jonny Lingo

It's been 17 years since I left the TWI

After being subjected to hearing country music for so long with the HCC, I can't think of anything lower than a country music singer. They rank right nect to Real estate agents and lawyers, not far off from Life Insurance Salesmen and Frog turds

Hey, I LIKED High Country Caravan ... I was at HQ my interim year and got to see several of the productions live at the renovated church in New Bremen ... it was a lot of fun ...

But then again ... I also really like Alan Jackson, Toby Keith, Loretta Lynn, etc. And yeah, I really AM college educated ... Masters Degree, even.

Just because we TALK slower in the South doesn't mean we THINK slower ...

DAWG Lover

After being subjected to hearing country music for so long with the HCC, I can't think of anything lower than a country music singer. They rank right nect to Real estate agents and lawyers, not far off from Life Insurance Salesmen and Frog turds

Yup --- and Michael Jackson wearing one glove,

and his sister Janet (with one breast exposed).

Will be singing *We are the World*,

with a cast of Mis-fits who purport to *speak for all*

who are mis-fits in their own right -- yet recognized by the media????.

Fuggem!! Give me COUNTRY any day of the week!!

If you don't like it -- fine. Don't call me a jerk for liking it.

Now -- If you care to respond to a FiddlePicker ----

and tell me why what I love is inconsequential ---

Have at it.

Edited by dmiller

Ok -- so you don't like it -- just say so, and be done with it.

Country isn't for everyone -- same damn way pfal wasn't.

Don't tell me that I am a derelict for liking what I do.

Cause you aren't walking in my shoes,

or picking my fiddle, banjo, or mandolin ---

Yer in the sub-basement, regardless of your musical *beliefs*.

Get a life, and recognize music outside of your boundaries. :asdf:

Edited by dmiller

And I've got one more thing to say -- before I shut up.

I respect your (any of you all's) right to listen to what you want to,

and your Not to like what you don't like.

but ---- don't tell me I am an foot for liking what I do.

and yes -- I have gleaned exactly that from the previous posts.

If you like to listen to teeny-bopper music, have at it.

If you like Gregorian chants -- so be it.

If you like whatever music ,

Have at it.

And if you like *WHATEVER* -- you won't find me criticizing you,

for whatever your choice of music might be -- I can live with your choice.

(Just like I live with mine -- and expect respect for it also).

I am getting really tired of folks criticizing country music,

and seeing that they haven't a CLUE about what it is about.

and that includes High Country Caravan.

Your comments hit below the belt.

Edited by dmiller

hehehe, David, so where does that put me? I really dislike country (particularly the old country/western genre, Tammy Wynette et al), but I really like bluegrass! especially instrumental pickin' and fiddlin.' And no, I don't look down on people who like country. Heck it's mainstream up here -- I'd have to write off half the population.

Denny Breau is a native son up here, get to hear him for free in the park most summers. Roger Sprung lived in my neck of the CT woods, and he'd set up shop in the flea market to sell his albums and a coupla banjos, picking just to pass the time.

But just for equal opportunity, I really dislike opera, at the same time I really enjoy most things classical. Favorite composer? Vivaldi! So go ahead, dis him.

I also really dislike rap, but enjoy most rock, upbeat new age, folk, world beat, and jazz, if it's not too progressive. My kids (and my dance students) have had no choice but to hear a lot of music styles, because in my car, the radio is set to a lot of different stations.

High Country Caravan? They were getting ready to produce that about the time I ended my in-res year. I suppose if I'd known anything about clogging (which I didn't), I'd have had a job with them, 'cuz they asked. I saw part of one tape years later, thought it was over the top, HeeHaw without being funny. A waste of a lot of talent, IMHO.

Regards,

Shaz

I'm a rocker myself, but about 10 years ago I worked in this warehouse and 1 day per week they had a country station playing. Lots of comments similar to George's and Out there's could be heard but work still got done. I didn't mind it. I liked Kelly Willis' version of Janis' song "Piece of my heart". I also liked Kelly Willis' face on the CD cover. (wolf whistle)

It's funny, though. Many of the songs from that country station have a down beat that is much more driving than that of the supposedly communist soliciting rock music I grew up on. And hows come the so called "capital of country music" (Nashville) has 2 pro sports teams and is a huge city?

But overall, music's function is to photograph emotions and it does a good job. You name any emotion which is common to large groups of people and there's probably a style of music to go with it. Country music IMO may be the last bastion of expression for some of the sappier emotions. I know that's not all you get from country music.

George, swap that perpetual Waffle house cuisine for a 6 pack of your choice of beer and swap that smelly trucker for a cute waitress and you might soon be in your private heaven. Purgatory at the least.

Edited by johniam

Oh, I gotta add this. During the last 5 years I was in TWI the twig cordo I had saw that I liked rock and roll so he kept giving me cassettes of country music. Best of Geo Strait, Randy Travis, Tanya Tucker. Didn't change a thing. That's probably the real reason they kicked me out of TWI. Who knows?

the problem with high country caravan wasn't that it was country, but that it was sh!t country. sorry, but that's the way i see it. it was, like everything else in way prod, stripped of anything resembling real heart and genuine feeling. and what is country music, good country music, without real heart and genuine feeling?

the idea that a bozo like craig could tell a bunch of seasoned musicians how to do what they KNEW how to do, just because he laid claim to "spiritual" sensitivity, is ludicrous. and it showed. (but even that awful stuff was better than what they're doing now, that whiter-than-whitebread, soulless syrup like the stuff at http://www.theway.com/Current/WayProd/Concert_STS.htm)

Stuff like George said really is mostly his opinion. And that's ok. But in making the above statement Out There, you have insulted thousands of artists and their fans. Not cool. Maybe you should retract it and offer an apology to those who like country music.

Personally, as a musician I like most all types of music, or, if nothing else, I can respect the talent involved. Except cRap music because there is no musical talent involved and as such, should NOT be eligible for Grammy Awards, but that is my opinion.

Rick

it was Out There who quoted what you have up on your screen there bud,

he can't have his opinion??

George thinks country=Devil :dance:

but I agree w/dmiller

its your thing,

do what you wanna do,

I can't tell ya,

who to sock it to

karen

Edited by kyhills

Man oh man! Way to say it David! And I am with you! And, whether any of you people liked "Branded" or not, they were very fine musicians and played with skill that equalled many C and W artists. Old Harvey should just stuck with his guitar and headed down to Nashville he was that good. Maybe you didn't like the message, and so, fine. Maybe you didn't like the sound, and so fine. But they were really good at what they did musically. Just like Joyful Noise was very good at what they did musically. Johnny Ruiz played beautifully. Claudette was awesome vocally. And with Branded, that David Lutz was good enough with his C and W voice to go to "the big show" down at Nashville.

And so, you may say thast what I like is on the level of "frog turds", but that just makes you completely and totally ignorant. It puts you on the level of frog turds for saying so. You may not like it and that's fine. I do not like "thrash metal", but I actually respect the skill with which many of those people play. Some of their guitar playing is like lightning and very skillfully played. Socks calls 'em "shredders". But I don't like it at all. But, I do not tell my son, 19, who plays guitar and is into thrash metal right now that he is on the level of "frog turds". And when it comes to Jazz, there is a whole lot of it that I do not like at all, although the skill level of many jazz musicians is off the charts. But it doesn't mean that they are on the level of "frog turds" just because I don't like it. You really ought to re-think your post there fella... :nono5:

Edited by Jonny Lingo

Just for the record, since I started what I thought would be an innocent, fun, thread that turned into a food fight:

• I don't think country music is horrible, although I'm not a big fan of either top 40 country or Way Productions country
  • I don't think that Way Productions musicians were bad, most seemed pretty competant at the very least, some were downright brilliant

IMHO High Country Caravan was hokey, and was infected by interference by non-musicians who couldn't even recite a poem, which detracted from whatever playing and songwriting talent those folks had.

I like bluegrass, I like some forms of country. I dislike mainstream country.

In the movie Be Cool they put together a music video that was supposed to be bad. When I watched it I was reminded of High Country Caravan.